Adventures Assemble S2E3: Call to Arms!

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Gilliam
Posts: 439
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:28 pm
Location: New Zealand

Re: Adventures Assemble S2E3: Call to Arms!

Post by Gilliam » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:40 am

Nightbird
HP: 4
Condition: Normal


Something about the man with the loudhailer seemed off, almost as though he was reading from a script that inexplicably resonated with the crowd gathered in the square. It looks like Cooper has decided to hire a higher level of flunkie than previously.

At the sight of the thugs approaching her Imogen smiled coldly as she spoke her voice carrying clearly to all within earshot.

"Really have you forgotten who I am. I have fought the Iron Maiden, Blackhawk, Lord Steel himself and others who are now dust beneath my boot. I am the Nutcracker, the Maiden of the Night ... I am Nightbird!!"

As she finished her speech Imogen's cape flared up behind her making her seem even larger than normal.

Nightbird Intimidation
Nightbird Intimidation: 1d20+11 28

User avatar
stavaros_the_arcane
Posts: 235
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:17 pm

Re: Adventures Assemble S2E3: Call to Arms!

Post by stavaros_the_arcane » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:46 pm

Ysariel wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:03 pm
Gelert
Armada Supercarrier


You enter the trophy room - a city-sized space with skyscraper-high piles of loot.

Nearly all are weapons. There are mighty swords and spears and there are massive cannons and guns. They float silently in stasis fields, they lie chained in power limiters. Sleek attack ships lie dormant next to bombs and missiles of unfathomable destructive power. As far as you can tell, all the equipment here has been disabled or rendered inert in some way, and many are broken or non-functional - serving only to mark the defeat of their dead wielders. Everything here smells, horribly, of blood and death.
Gelert is reminded of the Bad Future, Lord Steel had a similar hall of trophies and it was just as depressing and unpleasant as this one. Actually this one had the added bonus of the smell, which made the bad vibes radiate across all senses.

The fact that someone had gather such a collection that dwarfed what Lord Steel had horded implied nothing good about the being responsible.
Ysariel wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:03 pm
Suddenly, you smell something oddly familiar. A moment later a glint of light catches your eye. It is a ring with a silver band, bearing a blue gem with an emblem inscribed in it:

Image

It is a Ring of Hope. However, the gem is shattered and dark, the ring now useless.

You look around. About it are other similar rings, some bloodstained, others scarred by plasma or laser, all shattered. Hundreds, thousands of them.

Without warning, one of them starts pulsing with faint blue light. You see that this particular ring has been chipped at the edge, but remains largely intact.

OOC

You can approach the glowing ring or leave. You can also do anything else you consider reasonable.


A shiver goes up Gelert's spine the first time he spots one of the rings. The bad feelings don't stop as he finds more and more of them. To see rings just like the one he wore and know for them to had ended up in such a state the beings that wore them, that did what he did to protect and inspire others, must have met with a grisly and untimely end.

It was one of the most saddening things Gelert had ever seen. Had he tear ducts, they would undoubtedly have been overflowing. Were it not for the fact that he didn't want to draw attention to himself right now, he would have howled in mourning.

Seeing one ring light up, one among countless dead and broken ones, was like finding a single glimmer of hope in a field of endless despair. Gelert moves close to the ring and sniffs at it.

User avatar
Psistrike
Posts: 365
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:57 pm
Contact:

Re: Adventures Assemble S2E3: Call to Arms!

Post by Psistrike » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:31 am

Ysariel wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:15 pm
Moonlight
Sacramento, California - Outside the State Capitol Building

You find yesterday's paper on a seat at a nearby bus stop, which tells you little of use. However, media crew surround the entrance of the Capitol building, and a quick glance at the screens of their camera crews and a little eavesdropping on what they are saying into their mics offers some insight on what is going on.

"With no more than a few hours' notice, the Governor of California has called an unprecedented midnight session of the State Assembly to discuss the implications of today's anti-alien riot in Phoenix Bay..."

"A source confirms that Mayor Cooper will address the Assembly to propose revoking Phoenix Bay's status as a Sanctuary City, removing many legal protections put in place to defend alien refugees..."

"...Truly a remarkable sign of Cooper's political strength while both major parties are mired in their troubles - analysts suggest he might contest the Presidential election as an independent candidate..."

Speaking of the devil, a massive, armored limousine drives up to the gates of the Capitol, which part for it. Through its bulletproof windows, you see the brooding, piggish countenance of Mayor Reginald P. Cooper, in noticeably bad mood. Security officers keep the crowds away as the metal gates swing open to let the vehicle pass, then begin to swing close. Such human contrivances are little obstacle to you should you choose to confront Cooper or the human politicians.

OOC
You can attempt to stop Mayor Cooper's limousine and confront him directly. (The Capitol security guards attack you if you obstruct the limousine's progreess, however, they are trained to deal with human criminals and not superheroes, so we can just say that you subdue them without lethal force, no rolls necessary.)

Alternately, you can attempt to fly into the Capitol grounds undetected, either to lie in wait for Cooper or confront the Governor directly. Make a DC 20 stealth check, with a +5 bonus for the ruckus raised by Nightbird at the entrance.

Alternately, you can join Nightbird's side of the confrontation. You can also do whatever else you consider reasonable.
Moonlight
HP: 4 LP: 1
Condition: Fine

Seeing Mayor Cooper once again put Aranel in a foul mood. Trying to get aliens ejected from the city, no protections on an alien world to them as they flee a threat. Why was Lady Lucienne trying to get rid of the aliens who aren't a threat through her pawn Cooper? Flying over to Mayor Cooper's limousine, she uses flames to destroy the lock as she opens the door and slides right in beside the obnoxious man. "So, trying to make more trouble for your own city we have to help clean up again, I see. You know none of these aliens are connected to the Armada which attacked Phoenix City, so why are you working so hard to see them thrown out? Better yet, why does Lady Lucienne want them removed? You can tell me, despite our first meeting not going well I'm not a threat. I simply wish to help protect the innocent and Earth from any threats."

OOC: Persuasion check to see if she can get Mayor Cooper to talk: Persuasion check: 1d20+10 24 26 if her Attractive counts for getting Cooper to talk.

User avatar
Ysariel
Posts: 122
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:14 pm

Re: Adventures Assemble S2E3: Call to Arms!

Post by Ysariel » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:09 pm

Kisai
????


"PHILIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIP!" she screams in response to your uttering her name, thrashing on the cross. Her face is contorted in unimaginable agony. "SET ME FREEEEEEEEEEEEEE!"

The screams cause the iron spikes to vibrate. They hum, like the prongs of a tuning fork, and shudder with hungry energy.

This smells suspiciously like a trap. The valley full of iron spikes, like a maw designed to swallow any who walked into it; Jasmine's presence, an irresistible lure for you...

Intellect
So far, you have heard only wails and pleas for help from Jasmine. You realize that there is a simple way to test if this is a trap - to ask Jasmine a question requiring a complex answer that any demon impersonating her would find difficult to provide.

OOC
You can ask Jasmine if she remembers that she walked away from the battle against Lord Steel at the Ironworks and ask her to explain herself.

Alternately, you can also ask Jasmine if she remembers that Celeste stopped her from attacking him and ask her to explain herself.

Alternately, a DC 15 Insight check reveals the truth of her presence here without any action from you.

User avatar
Ysariel
Posts: 122
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:14 pm

Re: Adventures Assemble S2E3: Call to Arms!

Post by Ysariel » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:18 pm

Qora
Unknown location - abandoned factory

"What the--"

"It's the Ozirian!"

"Where did she come from?!"

...and other similar cries fill the warehouse as you materialize below in the path of the cattle prods. Electricity courses over your skin, then drains harmlessly as it is earthed in the concrete below your feet.

Roulette turns to one of her minions. "I thought spies spotted the Champions leaving the city?" she asks with a sneer, before turning back to you. "No matter. She will be easier to dispatch without her meddlesome friends."

Ziaahak cackles from the floor. "Regretting your treachery now, human?" she laughs. "Remember that you hired me to assassinate the Ozirian in the beginning? To stab her in the back after worming my way into her good graces? Remember, before you latched onto your dreams of an alien army at your beck and call? You have discarded the spear-caster too soon to stab with the hunting-knife, and now you find your enemy three lahm out of your reach!"

Roulette stares impassively at you. "I'm amazed the lizard has the breath to be so dramatic at this hour. Kill her."

The aliens drop their cattle prods and produce plasma blades and laser cannons.

OOC
Your fortitude check result easily withstands the DC 20 Affliction of the cattle prods.

Roulette orders her minions to attack and they draw weapons, but they do not expect your arrival and you go first in a surprise round. You have 1 standard action. You can use interaction skills, attacks, or the Defend action if you chose not to attack them first.

User avatar
Ysariel
Posts: 122
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:14 pm

Re: Adventures Assemble S2E3: Call to Arms!

Post by Ysariel » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:55 pm

Gelert
Armada Supercarrier - Trophy Room


As you approach the ring, it glows brighter and brighter. Suddenly, a beam of pure blue light shoots out from the shattered ring to your own. Three-dimensional images arise around you, reminiscent of those from Michelle's holographic interface. "DATA TRANSFER COMPLETE," sings a voice from your ring.

You see images of starships exchanging fire in the void, planetary bombardments in progress, and most surprisingly -- heroes from Earth in colorful costumes battling starfighters and aliens. The figure of a small fox in the blue vest of a Guardian of Hope materializes and says:

"Greetings, Guardian. If you are viewing this, then we have failed to prevent the fall of the Lor Republic and have likely paid with our lives. It falls to me to convey the precious intelligence we have wrested from the forces of the Armada, that the people of our galaxy can continue to resist its march. Listen and learn:"

* * *

The image dissolves into the shape of a tall, blue-skinned alien with long white hair, pointed elf-like ears, and a cruel, condescending sneer upon his face.

"There once was a man called Kinian Khan. Brilliant and ruthless, he united the barbarian peoples of the Galactic Steppes and led a great conquest against the Lor Republic."

Another image: the broken hulls of warships burning in the void as costumed heroes soar past them like comets. "But the Republic had unexpected help: heroes from Earth. Alerted by Daedalus, heroes of the Freedom League and the Justice Foundation shattered the Khanate armies and broke their power."

"In the years after his defeat, Kinian Khan brooded over his failure. And when the forces of the Stellar Imperium unearthed an ancient Preserver weapon of untold power, he knew he had been granted the opportunity of a lifetime. He fed the souls of countless thousands of his people to awaken the Preserver weapon that would come to be known as the Collapsar, which devoured the Lor Empire in a single day."

The image shifts and changes. You see a titanic creature, a literal planet with a maw, approach the Lor capital world of Lor-Van and devour it whole, tearing apart the planet with massive gravitational tidal forces and sucking up the rubble like a vacuum cleaner sucking up dust.

"With this act of ultimate sacrifice, Kinian Khan proved his dedication to the ideal of War. He achieved something we have not observed in over a millenium: he Ascended, and became War Incarnate -- Kaak-Shar, in the Khanate tongue."

You see a vague image of Kinian Khan standing at the top of some kind of ritual altar, fire pouring out of his eyes and ears and orifices to flow into the form of a titanic, armor-clad giant..
.
"Kinian Khan remembers. Kaak-Shar remembers. He remembers the power that thwarted his conquest the first time. He has overrun the remnants of the Lor Republic and is headed for Earth. He has destroyed countless worlds in his wake and assimilated their armed forces into the his Armada, as he must surely plan to do so with Earth itself."

* * *

The fox's image reappears, and his face lights up as he raises his head. "But fear not, Guardian. As long as Kaak-Shar can be stopped from reaching Earth, there is yet hope! Do not despair, for as long as even one of us remains, the light of hope burns bright..."

Suddenly, you hear the sound of klaxons going off. "INTRUDER DETECTED," shrieks a voice from high above. "INTRUDER DETECTED IN TROPHY ROOM."
You realize that the activation of the ring has triggered some kind of monitoring system.

OOC

You can attempt to hide from any security: make a DC 20 Stealth check.

Alternately, you can attempt to flee the trophy room before any security forces can arrive (no check needed). There is only one sure entrance you know of, which is the one you entered from.

You can also do whatever you consider reasonable.

User avatar
Ysariel
Posts: 122
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:14 pm

Re: Adventures Assemble S2E3: Call to Arms!

Post by Ysariel » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:13 pm

Nightbird
Sacramento, California - Outside the State Capitol Building

As one, the wannabe thugs take a step back, their nerve shaken. A few weapons clatter to the ground, then the front ranks turn and flee, and that is all it takes for the rest of the crowd to lose their nerve. The legend of Nightbird the Nutcracker is already infamous among the criminal element of the West Coast and terrible rumors of what happens to those who cross you when the Champions' backs are turned only serve to stoke their fear.

"Cowards! Idiots!" roars the rabble-rouser as the crowd around him retreats like the falling tide. "Have you no shame? No resolve in the face of humanity's foes? Useless! You are one and all useless!"

He flails helplessly at the crowds, and then, utterly deserted, turns around to face you. And then --

His hair and clothes burst into flames. His face melts into a shadowy mask from which two eye burn devilish red. Hands and feet mutate and sprout cruel talons. Suddenly you are confronted by a demonic creature wreathed in flame.

Screams and shrieks of panic ring out as the thing approaches you. You hear gunfire, and a few shots crack off the pavement as the watching police open fire at the sudden appearance of the paranormal threat, but if any shots strike home they have no effect.

"NOT BAD, LITTLE ONE," the demon growls, and you hear his voice in your head more than with your ears. "IT SEEMS I'LL HAVE TO DEAL WITH YOU MYSELF!"

Streetwise
You are confronted by Knightfire, an infernal spirit of pure hatred that has been spotted in various guides around the world. Be it white supremacists, Muslim extremists, anti-alien bigots, militant atheists, homophobic hate-mongers or radical feminists, this supernatural creature has been stoking dissension and conflict wherever it goes, provoking one group into violent action only to reappear on the other side to convince the victims of equally violent retaliation.

Turn Order
28 Nightbird *
10 Knightfire (Rogue)

You are up! :D

User avatar
Ysariel
Posts: 122
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:14 pm

Re: Adventures Assemble S2E3: Call to Arms!

Post by Ysariel » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:40 pm

Moonlight
Sacramento, California - Outside the State Capitol Building

"Hey! Stop her! Intruder!"

Security guards flanking the Capitol building rush forward, but before they can accost you, you are already inside Cooper's bulletproof limousine. The driver looks up in a panic, and the mayor of Phoenix Bay actually shrinks back from your presence. "It's YOU!" he exclaims as you get into the seat next to him. "But the Champions... no, you can't be here! Security! Remove her. Security!"

But when you speak, he just laughs, as if the absurdity of your request gives him courage. "Protect the innocent! Wouldn't that include the aliens you know aren't connected to the Armada? I know exactly how you pesky, annoying heroes think," he says, wagging a finger at you. "Do you take me for an idiot? A Saturday-morning cartoon villain who would monologue his plan to you at the drop of a hat? Tell me, what advantage do I gain by telling you the Illumined One's plans - you, a nobody with nothing to offer in trade? You've a lot to learn about the art of deal-making if you want to get ahead in this world, my sweet!"

He adjusts the lapels of his jacket and opens the limousine's armored door. "Now, I'm off to meet the governor. I dare you to lay a finger on me, an unarmed and INNOCENT civilian, in broad daylight... or night-light. Hmph!"

Two guards step forward to escort him as he exits. At that moment, fire flares in the distance as Knightfire reveals his true form, and in the brief flash of light you notice Cooper smirk and nod in that direction before walking off through the gates of the Capitol Building.

You notice that, attracted by the commotion, a man in a smart Western suit, accompanied by several aides and guards, is heading towards the gate to meet Cooper. From the attitude of deference shown by the surrounding humans, this must be one of their high-ranking leaders - the Governor of whom Cooper spoke. You realize that where Cooper is your sworn enemy, the Governor may prove more pliant.
OOC
Your Attractive works on him, but as a sworn enemy of the heroes Cooper is Hostile to you. Even with 3 degrees of success (result of 26 vs DC 15), you only make him Indifferent, and there is essentially no way he would risk the wrath of his master to give you that kind of information. His attitude cannot be improved further in this scene.

However, you have asked an excellent IC question, one you should keep in mind even if you do not discover the answer in this scene. That is, what Lucienne stands to gain by antagonizing alien refugees. It would make far more sense for her to gain their help (or at least use them as pawns) to fight against the Incarnate of War.

You can confront the Governor if you wish.

Alternatively, you can join Nightbird's combat (you enter on the 2nd round if so).
Last edited by Ysariel on Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Ysariel
Posts: 122
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:14 pm

Re: Adventures Assemble S2E3: Call to Arms!

Post by Ysariel » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:49 pm

Kisai
????
OOC
I note the result of your Insight check result of 24 here.
A chill runs down your spine as in a flash of insight, you realize one very important fact:

You heard Jasmine call your name from what must be miles away, from far outside the valley. Even if the magics of Shambhala somehow transported you to whatever Hell she was sentenced to for torment, how did she know you were in the area?

The answer, naturally, is that this is a trap, and this was all an obvious set-up to lure you to your doom. The bait set by some monstrously powerful demon, no doubt, one that knows intimately what will prove an irresistible lure for you.
Expertise: Arcane Lore
You deduce that the entire valley littered with iron spikes is in fact the maw of a titanic demon, poised to swallow you whole. You can engage it in combat naturally as a Minion by attacking any part of the valley.

User avatar
kreuzritter
Posts: 119
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:37 am

Re: Adventures Assemble S2E3: Call to Arms!

Post by kreuzritter » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:29 am

Qora
HP: My gut says three, tops, unable to confirm
Condition: fine
attack goon one: 1d20+8 22
DC 29 TOU
For a moment, Qora considers lunging after Roulette, to use her as a bargaining chip, but is stopped by two things. first the nagging impulse that she would sink to her level by doing so, and second bitter experience that Roulette never shows herself if she thinks there's any real risk

so instead Qora slugs the goon on her right

User avatar
Psistrike
Posts: 365
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:57 pm
Contact:

Re: Adventures Assemble S2E3: Call to Arms!

Post by Psistrike » Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:19 am

Ysariel wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:40 pm
Moonlight
Sacramento, California - Outside the State Capitol Building

"Hey! Stop her! Intruder!"

Security guards flanking the Capitol building rush forward, but before they can accost you, you are already inside Cooper's bulletproof limousine. The driver looks up in a panic, and the mayor of Phoenix Bay actually shrinks back from your presence. "It's YOU!" he exclaims as you get into the seat next to him. "But the Champions... no, you can't be here! Security! Remove her. Security!"

But when you speak, he just laughs, as if the absurdity of your request gives him courage. "Protect the innocent! Wouldn't that include the aliens you know aren't connected to the Armada? I know exactly how you pesky, annoying heroes think," he says, wagging a finger at you. "Do you take me for an idiot? A Saturday-morning cartoon villain who would monologue his plan to you at the drop of a hat? Tell me, what advantage do I gain by telling you the Illumined One's plans - you, a nobody with nothing to offer in trade? You've a lot to learn about the art of deal-making if you want to get ahead in this world, my sweet!"

He adjusts the lapels of his jacket and opens the limousine's armored door. "Now, I'm off to meet the governor. I dare you to lay a finger on me, an unarmed and INNOCENT civilian, in broad daylight... or night-light. Hmph!"

Two guards step forward to escort him as he exits. At that moment, fire flares in the distance as Knightfire reveals his true form, and in the brief flash of light you notice Cooper smirk and nod in that direction before walking off through the gates of the Capitol Building.

You notice that, attracted by the commotion, a man in a smart Western suit, accompanied by several aides and guards, is heading towards the gate to meet Cooper. From the attitude of deference shown by the surrounding humans, this must be one of their high-ranking leaders - the Governor of whom Cooper spoke. You realize that where Cooper is your sworn enemy, the Governor may prove more pliant.
OOC
Your Attractive works on him, but as a sworn enemy of the heroes Cooper is Hostile to you. Even with 3 degrees of success (result of 26 vs DC 15), you only make him Indifferent, and there is essentially no way he would risk the wrath of his master to give you that kind of information. His attitude cannot be improved further in this scene.

However, you have asked an excellent IC question, one you should keep in mind even if you do not discover the answer in this scene. That is, what Lucienne stands to gain by antagonizing alien refugees. It would make far more sense for her to gain their help (or at least use them as pawns) to fight against the Incarnate of War.

You can confront the Governor if you wish.

Alternatively, you can join Nightbird's combat (you enter on the 2nd round if so).
Moonlight
HP: 4 LP: 1
Condition: Fine

Aranel knew it wouldn't be that simple, a slimy little toad like Cooper wouldn't give up his meal ticket so easily, nor have the kind of courage to stand up to his mistress. But now Aranel had a difficult choice. Should she go to help out Nightbird with the threat which Cooper no doubt brought in to rial up the crowd, or trust her teammate and try to reason with the Governor? Were they actually there and she could affect the outcome of events, save the alien refugees from a plot against them or was all this in their minds? No, she knew Nightbird could take whoever Cooper had dug up to throw at them, she had to at least try to reason with the Governor.

Floating low to the ground over towards the Governor, Ararnel steels herself and hopes Cooper and his goons won't stop her some simply speaking. "Mr. Governor, may I have a word with you please? I'm Moonlight of the Champions and I thought it might be a good idea to chat with you about the alien refugees before Mayor Cooper got to you first. I know I'm not a native to this reality, but I know the major history of this city thanks to my friends and I've seen the plight of refugees first-hand. On my own Earth, the humans there are different enough from here to be another species, all bald with a third eye on their foreheads and possessing powerful telepathic and telekinetic abilities. They seek to enslave all other beings, refugees from other settlements have fled to my people's kingdom time and again over the centuries, always afraid, always just wishing to provide a safe place for their families to live and grow.

I've seen the same look on the faces of the alien refugees here. They are scared, they just wish to have a safe place for them and their families to live. They are victims of the Armada as much as the people of Phoenix City are, forced to flee their worlds and homes in the face of an overwhelming force. Can you honestly say they are less deserving of protection from the Armada and a safe place to live simply because they weren't born here? Where would the nation of the United States be if not for immigrants of all types? Yes, these are a new type of immigrant, and there will be growing pains, but in the long run, won't it improve this nation and world by allowing more diversity? Please, think about what I've said."


OOC: Persuasion check: Persuasion check: 1d20+10 25

Gilliam
Posts: 439
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:28 pm
Location: New Zealand

Re: Adventures Assemble S2E3: Call to Arms!

Post by Gilliam » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:37 pm

Nightbird
HP: 4
Condition: Normal


Ysariel wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:13 pm
Nightbird
Sacramento, California - Outside the State Capitol Building

Screams and shrieks of panic ring out as the thing approaches you. You hear gunfire, and a few shots crack off the pavement as the watching police open fire at the sudden appearance of the paranormal threat, but if any shots strike home they have no effect.

"NOT BAD, LITTLE ONE," the demon growls, and you hear his voice in your head more than with your ears. "IT SEEMS I'LL HAVE TO DEAL WITH YOU MYSELF!"
"Knightfire .." Imogen said tonelessly not expressing any shock or surprise at the appearance of the demon " ... it explains so much."

Opening her mouth as though to continue speaking Imogen sung her high notes sending a wave of sound towards the demon before moving her position so that no bystanders were behind her in case the demon sent a wave of fire in her direction.
Use "Birdy Wail"[/i [Sonic Damage 11 extra Cone] DC21 Dodge for a DC26/20 Toughness Save.

I was assuming that no one is behind Nightbird based on the direction from which she approached the commotion but in case I am wrong she will move positions just in case but still close enough to be able to move and physically attack in one round.


User avatar
kenseido
Posts: 642
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:13 pm
Location: Kansas City
Contact:

Re: Adventures Assemble S2E3: Call to Arms!

Post by kenseido » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:47 pm

Kisai
HP: 5, Condition: Brusied x1

Kisai's eyes dart around the valley. There was definitely something off with the spikes...

... because they aren't spikes. There is an obvious pattern like the rows of teeth in a shark.

How he recognizes them from this angle is another story...

He lets out a sigh and looks at "Jasmine." Regardless of whether she is really here or not, she is just bait for some really big demon and Philip wandered into the center of it... well mostly.

At this moment, he has never been more grateful for his friends. Without the talk he had with Gelert earlier, no doubt he would have blundered through this trap and ignored the dangers to rescue the bait. And he would have died. He had been so on edge for days, and that dump was turning a corner. There was still pain, but at least the knife was out and he could actually start healing.

He looks down at his cane and turns a half-smile. They sure won't be expecting this.

In the blink of an eye, the cane shift to a digital cycle and Kisai is speeding out of the valley.
Shift array to Digital Cycle, which has Speed 8, Leaping 4 and Wall-crawling 2
Double move action to get out of the valley
Vehicles check: 1d20+12 23

User avatar
Ysariel
Posts: 122
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:14 pm

Re: Adventures Assemble S2E3: Call to Arms!

Post by Ysariel » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:53 pm

Qora
Unknown location - abandoned factory

You slug the goon on your right and send her flying into a pile of rusted machinery as Roulette puts a lit cigarette to her lips. The other alien mercenaries immediately go for you. The warehouse explodes in a mayhem of plasma fire and flechette shots, laser swords and monomolecular blades.

Unfortunately for Roulette, her alien bodyguards, while certainly a fearsome mob, do not fight as a properly trained and disciplined military unit, and you soon have them all scattered across the factory, groaning, unconscious or quietly nursing bruises and concussions. The last one collapses and drops a canister of something that rolls away from his grasp on the concrete floor. Sparky screams in warning as you recognize the same anti-Ozirian nanotoxin used for assassination that the Banshees used against you this morning. Their weapons and ammunition are all loaded with it. You realize that if they had so much as got a single successful hit in...

Roulette exhales a serpentine trail of smoke from her cigarette, considering the performance of her minions. The look of utter disappointment in her face is evident.

"You heroes and your damnable luck," she says at last, addressing you. "Well, consider this one a win for you, my dear. The lizard blabbed, so I won't bother hiding that yes, I did decide to have you killed, after you proved so useful in getting rid of Lord Steel. I saw how you played those aliens like a fiddle that day by your headquarters. It's dangerous to have someone like you running loose, winning the hearts and minds of my potential minions."

"A word of advice. After a storm passes, rainbows can be seen. A great storm is coming, and when it passes..."

Her image flickers, then blinks out. You were right. It was only a hologram all along, an extremely advanced holoprojection - as if Phoenix Bay's queen of vice would ever allow herself to be trumped by something as crude as alien manhandling.

Ziaahak remains lying on the ground.

"A quick death," she hisses at you. "I deserve that much at least from you."
OOC
It's actually 4 (started with 2, got 1 from the nanotoxin the banshees used against you, and got 1 from the scene complication)

1d20+12: 28 [1d20=16]

So close, yet so far. They fail by 1, are defeated and don't get to use their nifty Insidious weapon.

User avatar
Ysariel
Posts: 122
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:14 pm

Re: Adventures Assemble S2E3: Call to Arms!

Post by Ysariel » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:17 pm

Gelert
Armada Supercarrier - Trophy Room

Before you can decide on a course of action, the scream of attack craft high above you warns you that you are too late. Wicked, dagger-shaped star fighters shriek across the city-sized trophy room to circle above you like hungry vultures. Scarlet spotlights shine down from them, bathing you in a blood-red circle. Marching troops - hundreds, thousands of them - pour in through the entrance, the countless legions of the Armada here to enforce its will. You realize you are utterly surrounded.

But the Armada's invincible, infinite legions do not attack. They thump their weapons and chant, an ominous drumbeat to accompany the mighty footsteps that shake the ground as they approach. You realize at last you are about to come face-to-face with the titanic being for whom this massive ship was built for.

His legs are mountains. His arms, skyscrapers. Living flame pours from his eyes and mouth and nose, and a crown of swords sits atop his head. His armor is covered with wicked spikes and adorned with a horrific design of millions of faces contorted in eternal agony. You remember the recording taken from the broken ring, how Kinian Khan sacrificed a thousand times a thousand times a thousand of his people to awaken Collapsar and set it against the Lor, and realize that the tortured faces etched upon his armor represent every single one of those doomed souls.

You come face-to-face with Kaak-Shar, War Incarnate, as he strides through the massive arch and towards you.

One of the attack craft hovers to a stop before the towering Incarnate, and an alien figure upon its bridge prostrates itself. "Your most unworthy and despicable servant begs for mercy, O Conqueror of Conquerors," begs the power-armored figure. "I know not how this feeble canine penetrated our security, but --"

Two beams of scarlet flame shoot from the Incarnate's eyes and explode the ship, turning it and its crew into fiery bits of burning flesh and wreckage.

"I WOULD VAPORIZE YOU, TOO, IN AN INSTANT, LAST OF THE GUARDIANS," the Incarnate speaks in a voice that rattles the countless war machines and weapons throughout the trophy room. "BUT YOU MUST HAVE SOME HIDDEN POWER, SOME SECRET ADVANTAGE, TO STEAL ABOARD MY FLAGSHIP UNMOLESTED. TELL ME, LITTLE CORGI. TELL ME WHAT FEEBLE HOPE COMPELS YOU TO RESIST I, THE INVINCIBLE KINIAN KHAN."

Post Reply