[IC] The New Mythos: The Gathering

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Post Reply
User avatar
Doctor Malsyn
Posts: 2552
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:42 pm
Location: Thunderdome, Texas

[IC] The New Mythos: The Gathering

Post by Doctor Malsyn » Fri May 03, 2019 2:39 am

Image

The early afternoon sun hung within a sky parting of clouds over the city of Mirum Urbem, a comfortingly warm presence after the early morning drizzle. Here on the far side of town was an industrial district that was largely abandoned for years even before the Inheritance struck. Before you stood an old warehouse likely long since stripped of anything valuable. Each of you were given this address without any indication of when to arrive, yet there was some vague feeling that you were right on time.

Entering the perimeter itself isn't an issue at all. The chain-link fencing stopped serving it's purpose perhaps sometime in the last twenty years, deterring nobody save those who feared tetanus. Grass and weeds sprung up from cracks in the concrete with utter abandon, the nightmare of landscapers and contractors alike. Intact glass windows were a rarity here. Even those without cracks were caked in years of dust and grime. The close you get to the building itself however, the less comforting the sun starts to feel. An unnatural chill clings to the abandoned structure like a fog.

However you choose to enter the aging structure, you find that the inside is little better. An old musky scent hangs in the air, dampened by moisture yet to have evaporated away under the midday heat. Shadows slither along iron pillars and decrepit catwalks, meaningless whispers lingering in each trash-ridden corner, and the unpleasant scent of decay from a hidden yet long-dead wild animal. An electrical tingle lingers from some spell or another, and those with arcane sight trace the source to empty inhalers, their contents long-since used and abused.

In spite of all this, there's a strange feeling of comfort in the air, a welcoming presence yet to have revealed itself to those that have gathered within. A spider with the upper half of a beautiful woman, primordial ooze in the shape of another, a young man wearing equipment soaked in his magic, a dragon still young and small, an almost alien woman whom glows bright, and the powerful figure of a woman inked with arcane designs. Silence reigns between those assembled, yet it seems eager to be shattered.
Last edited by Doctor Malsyn on Fri May 03, 2019 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
I'm the GM of The New Mythos, and play more characters then I probably should.

User avatar
Loneclaw
Posts: 92
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:07 pm

Re: [IC] The New Mythos: The Gathering

Post by Loneclaw » Fri May 03, 2019 11:11 am

Melanie "Arachne" Rogers
HP: 1
Status: Sociable
---

The drider lowers herself down from the ceiling on a thick strand of spider web, releasing it and leaving it to hang as she walks (crawls?) up to the others with a friendly smile in her face.

"Hi!" She says with a little awkward wave. "The name's Melanie, or just Mel for short, also known as Arachne on YouTube. Maybe you've seen me on there?"

The drider looks everyone over, biting her lip as she gets a good look at Velari and then Cheyenne.
Last edited by Loneclaw on Fri May 03, 2019 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Bladewind
Posts: 2314
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:26 pm

Re: [IC] The New Mythos: The Gathering

Post by Bladewind » Fri May 03, 2019 11:23 am

"Copper"
Cond: Normal
HP: 1

Whoever the man had been, the first time that Copper had seen him, he had felt like he'd known him as long as he had known his human family. The dragonling had not reacted the way he had to the four mailmen over the last several months... four because the first three had been scared off until the post office had contacted his family and requested that Copper be in the backyard between certain hours. It was funny how they now made the post office punctual on their street...

No, this man had simply walked up to the house and rang the doorbell, and he had spoken with the one the boys called Mom, and then Dad. Copper didn't quite hear - he was able to understand humanspeak now - but there was no danger in the voice, no wariness from his humans that would have caused the young dragon to become defensive.

No, instead the man eventually came over to Copper and crouched down to say hello. As he did so, Copper had felt the image of a place imprinted on his mind, and a sense of when and where...

His family rarely put a leash on the dragon - the first few times he had simply spit on it and it had dissolved... instead giving him free reign of the backyard and house, and allowing him to hunt when he needed to... This afternoon, while his "family" was at school and work, Copper had slipped outside, and taken to the sky to check out that place that he felt compelled to visit.

For now, standing out perhaps a little due to his coppery skin in the dark and dirt of the warehouse, he stayed in the rafters, observing. His head darted left to right to watch with his tail very still as the others arrived and he waited with far more patience and restraint than he would have in similar circumstances before becoming a dragon...
Thorpocalypse wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm
Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
Bladewind's 3ed M&M Builds
The Merge Setting document

EpicEclipse
Posts: 2087
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:06 pm

Re: [IC] The New Mythos: The Gathering

Post by EpicEclipse » Fri May 03, 2019 2:40 pm

Velari Larosa
1 :HP ο COND: Healthy

Okay, so Velari had been excited to accept Echo's offer. She'd made her decision before he'd finished asking even. THIS, was not exactly what she thought she had been agreeing to. She thought there would at least be some kind of strip mall office space or something. Not some place that looked like it had been maybe used for some kind of rave.....after being derelict for years.

The others looked like a motley bunch as well, but that would be the pot calling the kettle black. Velari had gotten enough control of her body so she didn't look like she was dripping or oozing all over. In fact, she almost looked like she had some manner of "skin", in the way certain kinds of soup develop a "skin", though really that was just her willing herself not to look as oozy as she was. It had become second nature quickly so as not to appear quite so offputting to those around her.

While looking around, she wondered where Echo was.
"Hi!" She says with a little awkward wave. "The name's Melanie, or just Mel for short, also known as Arachne on YouTube. Maybe you've seen me on there?"
Velari turns her attention towards Mel (Good thing she wasn't afraid of spiders!) and smiles back, if lacking some of the awkwardness. Confidence was always one of her strong points. "Hi Mel. I'm usually too busy for social media stuff, so I can't say I've seen any of your stuff. I'm Velari though. Nice to meet you."

User avatar
Bladewind
Posts: 2314
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:26 pm

Re: [IC] The New Mythos: The Gathering

Post by Bladewind » Fri May 03, 2019 10:39 pm

"Copper"
Cond: Normal
HP: 1

There was a rustle in the rafters, a flap of leathery wings... one might have expected a colony of bats to make an appearance. Instead, the snap of the leathery wings was suddenly louder and more crisp. From the aging ruins of the structure, the copper wyrmling circled and descended to the ground. Although very obviously a young dragon, his behaviour was a little off for a being off his nature, at least when compared to most of the mythology and literary examples...

Looking around, he seemed to sniff the air a little and tentatively sniffed the ground in certain spots. His tail swishes back and forth until he see Mel at which point he backs up a little,his tail curls and his ears go back. The corners of his mouth begin to quiver a little but no sound escapes...
Thorpocalypse wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm
Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
Bladewind's 3ed M&M Builds
The Merge Setting document

User avatar
Doctor Malsyn
Posts: 2552
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:42 pm
Location: Thunderdome, Texas

Re: [IC] The New Mythos: The Gathering

Post by Doctor Malsyn » Sat May 04, 2019 12:21 am

Mist wafts up from the ground as Copper's wings beat, alerting those with sharp eyes as to it's very existence. It slowly settles close to the ground, perhaps only a few inches deep with a thickness similar to candle smoke. Just the slightest movement of your legs send ripples through the inexplicable vapors, slowly settling back into place once the disturbance stops. No source for the mist can be found at a glance.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
I'm the GM of The New Mythos, and play more characters then I probably should.

User avatar
Arkrite
Posts: 1535
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:16 pm
Location: Canada

Re: [IC] The New Mythos: The Gathering

Post by Arkrite » Sat May 04, 2019 1:08 am

Felix Ian Xavier - Mr. FIX I.T.

Felix looked around the room at the people with an arched eyebrow.

He shifted uncomfortably in his big bulky trench-coat. It looked pretty cool on the outside, but due to design flaws it was big, it was heavy, and it was warm. But it looked cool, and that was the important part.

He'd spent a half an hour in front of the mirror making sure he looked right.

Boxy mirror shades that looked like a toned down version of an old VR headset? Check.

Bulky black trench-coat, check. Though with his force-field off you couldn't see the Power Symbol over his left pectoral, or the LED piping that made up the mystical symbols needed to activate the spell. He kept the round collar flipped up so that his chin was only just visible over the top of it.

His staff which... okay, he didn't like his staff. It needed work. It was almost as tall as he was, made of stainless steel, circuit boards, copper wrapped magnets, blinking lights, and topped with a steel pipe fitting where a large crystal the glowed a faintly white light was secured with more copper wire.
It needed a few upgrades so it looked less cobbled together and more stylish.

Add to that some big ass black steel toed boots which would protect his feet, and add two inches to make him an imposing 6'3".

Or as imposing as a rail thin former goth guy could look. His hair was black, short around the sides, longer on top, and gelled up to sweep slightly forward over his head, and clean shaven face barring a short black goatee (no mustache).

Honestly if he was honest with himself, he probably primped in front of that mirror longer than any of the women here combined.
Loneclaw wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 11:11 am
"Hi!" She says with a little awkward wave. "The name's Melanie, or just Mel for short, also known as Arachne on YouTube. Maybe you've seen me on there?"
Felix blinked at that.
He should have known who that was, but after he started to learn about his powers he kind of dropped out of the youtube world unless it had something to do with technology, cars, neat metalworking, or magic.

He just nodded as Velari admitted she didn't know. Who she was.

And, huh, Velari looked a little weird. Like liquid metal, or living ice or something. Though it was hard to say that was the weirdest person here, or even the weirdest person he'd seen all day. He flinched a little as the tiny (comparatively speaking) freaking dragon flew down from above, then glanced upwards to see if anything else was waiting to dive bomb him.

"So... I'm guessing you guys were all approached by a Class four Free Roaming Full Torso Manifestation?" He asks as he looks at the others again, "Called himself Echo?"

User avatar
JDRook
Posts: 122
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:57 pm
Location: The Calgary Rift - City of Monsters

Re: [IC] The New Mythos: The Gathering

Post by JDRook » Sat May 04, 2019 2:15 am

Delancey


And then you showed up.

The one who called themself Echo had found her sleeping in Mrs. Cartwright's greenhouse. Mrs. Cartwright was kind, asked no questions, and often put out food for her. She didn't eat it, of course - she couldn't recall every needing to eat at all - but she would fly it to one of the shelters or a needy home she knew nearby, the food still warm under the foil.

Delancey* had slept there before, but not with any kind of regularity, so this Echo may have been following her for a while. They didn't feel like the others who obsessed over her, the ones who had made the shrine in the parking lot of "burned St. Bernie's" as the street kids often called it. There was no fear or trepidation or desperate hope or overwhelmeing joy that usually came up in some combination from those who approached her. It came off them like a hot wind in her face. But Echo seemed calm yet focused, clear of intent. So she decided to try something new and see what they had to say.

That morning had been thankfully quiet. The drizzle had sent Delancey up above the clouds to soak up the sun as a kind of solar brunch, the light playing over the top of the clouds and bringing out amazing colours. She knew she could see a little more than most, that at some point she couldn't see the heat or the ambient starlight like she could now, but like everything before the Inheritance, it kept slipping away whenever she tried to focus on it.

No feeling of need struck her while flying today. Sometimes there was a flash of fear or a jagged intent that reached up through the clouds and drew her to where she could help. That was how she'd encountered Mrs. Cartwright and a few others who she knew by name. Often it involved other Inherited; Mrs. C had pointier ears than most and threw off magic waves while gardening, for instance. But today it seemed she could give her full focus to flying and warming herself in the sun.

Drifting toward the address Echo had given her, she spotted another flyer, the sun glinting off of it metallically. She would see others occasionally - there weren't many Inherited, relatively speaking, and fewer who could fly, but the sky could be hard to hide in - but she never approached or engaged, and even actively avoided them. Some gave chase, either playfully or with other intent, but she never stopped to find out and found that she could outrun - outfly - anything she saw if she really wanted to.

This metallic flyer seemed to be heading the same way as her, and indeed flew in through a hole in the roof of a warehouse at Echo's address. Following, she could see 4 others inside, although their heat was varied and their shapes moreso. None of them were Echo, and there was an air of anticipation, so she assumed they had all been invited, like her.

It was immediately apparent they were all Inherited. Even the human, who had apparatus all over him that crackled with magic to her eyes. She had never seen this many inherited in one place, although she's heard rumours of something called Trust, a place or event where Inherited could gather, but she had never explored further.

They seemed to be introducing themselves. They felt relatively friendly and curious, not needy or obsessive. She floated down tentatively from the ceiling as the human mentioned Echo. She pulled back the hood of the oversized grey hoodie she had found in the trash months ago.

"Yes, the one called Echo. Do you know more of them?" She felt suddenly awkward, feeling she should say more. She wasn't used to this kind of interaction.

"You can call me Delancey."

Image


*she was accustomed now to thinking of herself as Delancey. There were still locals who referred to her as "St. Bernadette's Grace" which over the months had often shortened to just Grace, or Bernadette, or even Bernie. Some just called her Angel or "The Angel". All of these made her uncomfortable, but she never felt the need to correct anyone.

User avatar
catsi563
Posts: 1972
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:29 pm
Location: Dark Side of the Moon
Contact:

Re: [IC] The New Mythos: The Gathering

Post by catsi563 » Sat May 04, 2019 4:53 am

Cheyenne
HP: 1; Condition: Imposing

Cheyennes day had started out about the same as most lately. Waking up stretching out her imposing Six foot eight frame and heading for the shower before leaving for work. A quick breakfast at the food truck run by the Panda looking man who cooked like a dream was followed by her chasing down a couple of punks who tried to rob a convenience store right in front of her. What was it with people who thought just because magic was coming back into the world that it was an excuse to act like anarchic @sses?

They'd been swept up and delivered to the cops without too many broken bones, before shed headed for the bar where she did double time as both a bartender and bouncer. That's where Echo had shown up sitting at the bar without any indication of where or how he or it had gotten there. An address was passed and as quick as shed looked at the paper the apparition was gone if it had ever been there in the first place.

She'd debated outright ignoring the invitation but her own curiosity combined with a slow day had her take an early day off and she found herself scoping out the warehouse which stank of dark magics. Her nose crinkled a bit before she straightened up and simply decided to walk right in. the fence was easy most of it was gone anyways and what wasn't was barely a hop for her to jump over. The doors were equally simple to open.

No one there she at the time she leaned back against a support beam as the others arrived, she sensed rather then saw their presence till one by one they arrived and introduced themselves. She knew a couple of them via the grapevine but the others were mysteries to her. She gave small grins and nods of greeting to those that were there.

"Cheyenne Hawk, nice to meet you." she addressed the group as a whole almost as an afterthought. she noted the mist on the ground but with no source she could locate decided to simply remain aware for now.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories

User avatar
Loneclaw
Posts: 92
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:07 pm

Re: [IC] The New Mythos: The Gathering

Post by Loneclaw » Sat May 04, 2019 10:48 am

Melanie "Arachne" Rogers
HP: 1
Status: Sociable
---
Bladewind wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 10:39 pm
Looking around, he seemed to sniff the air a little and tentatively sniffed the ground in certain spots. His tail swishes back and forth until he see Mel at which point he backs up a little,his tail curls and his ears go back. The corners of his mouth begin to quiver a little but no sound escapes...
Noticing the clear shift in body language, Melanie smiles warmly with understanding and turns her entire body to face the little copper dragon.

"Hi there." The spider portion of her body lays itself on the ground so that she's closer to the dragon's eye level, then she leans her human portion forward a little and says in a soft and comforting voice, "I know I may look a little scary, but I'm actually really nice, I promise."
Arkrite wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 1:08 am
"So... I'm guessing you guys were all approached by a Class four Free Roaming Full Torso Manifestation?" He asks as he looks at the others again, "Called himself Echo?"
She glances at what might very well be the only guy here.

"Oh, that Class four Free Roaming Full Torso Manifestation?" Melanie replies playfully. "Yeah, he's the one who invited me."

The drider then returns her attention to the copper dragon.

EpicEclipse
Posts: 2087
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:06 pm

Re: [IC] The New Mythos: The Gathering

Post by EpicEclipse » Sat May 04, 2019 2:59 pm

Velari Larosa
1 :HP ο COND: Healthy

Velari looked at the mistiness as it rose and settled when the little dragon alighted on the ground. Well that was a little unsettling...
"So... I'm guessing you guys were all approached by a Class four Free Roaming Full Torso Manifestation?" He asks as he looks at the others again, "Called himself Echo?"
"Oh, that Class four Free Roaming Full Torso Manifestation?" Melanie replies playfully. "Yeah, he's the one who invited me."
Velari tilted her head when the trenchcoat-clad guy mentioned a "class four free something, but then the light bulb clicked when he dropped Echo's name. Mel seemed to get it, but it was over Velari's head. "Yes. I was approached by Echo as well."

Curious, she also slowly approached the little dragon, taking a cue from Mel, moving slowly and crouching down, stopping at a respectful distance.

User avatar
Bladewind
Posts: 2314
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:26 pm

Re: [IC] The New Mythos: The Gathering

Post by Bladewind » Sat May 04, 2019 8:02 pm

"Copper"
Cond: Normal
HP: 1

His head moved back and forth as he looked at Velari and Melanie in turn. Her words seemed to have some effect on him as he relaxed his stance a little. His tail didn't start to wag just yet, but the half snarl faded and he didn't seem quite so tense. He let out a series of yelps - sounding like the barking sound of the raptors from Jurassic Park.
Thorpocalypse wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm
Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
Bladewind's 3ed M&M Builds
The Merge Setting document

User avatar
Doctor Malsyn
Posts: 2552
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:42 pm
Location: Thunderdome, Texas

Re: [IC] The New Mythos: The Gathering

Post by Doctor Malsyn » Sat May 04, 2019 8:42 pm

"Ah," A voice speaks. The mist has started to swirl. "Now that is adorable."

It's an airy, scratchy sort of sound, more akin to a leaves rustling in the wind then words coming out of someone's mouth. Each of you recognize the voice right away. In the corners the whispers have hushed, along the rafters and pillars the shadows have stilled. A chill overtakes the air but leaves you feeling a contradictory warmth. Your eyes are drawn towards the focalpoint where the mist has started to condense, a spot only ten feet away from where you were gathered.

Shadows arise from the center, twisting and taking shape in the form of gray hand gnarled and thin, black nails chipped and cracked. It gives way to an arm dressed in dark cloth, twisting at an unnatural angle so that the hand might grip the ground. More of the figure emerges with as much initial formlessness at the hand, before it reshapes itself into that of a man unnaturally thin. Their head only forms part way, leaving a singular pure white eye on the right side and a flat patch of skin where a mouth should've been. Streaks of smoke trail up from their face's left side, merging with where the back of it's head should've been.

The last dredges of vapor condense into it's legs and feet when it starts to hunch over, like a puppet missing one too many strings. You know this figure as Echo, though none of you have seen him so fully formed. He looks at upon the group with that singular unwavering orb of light, a soul at full bore. There is no helping the shiver your bodies briefly feel once you take him in completely.

"A Class four, hm?" Echo's eye lingers on Felix, voice tinted with amusement. "You'd be surprised by how much they got right. Yet no matter... Speaking of such things is not my place. Nor my purpose for bringing you here."

His gaze travels over all six of you yet settles nowhere. "You're all getting along well enough. I had little doubt that you would, yet it pleases me all the same. Thank you for heeding my request."
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
I'm the GM of The New Mythos, and play more characters then I probably should.

User avatar
Loneclaw
Posts: 92
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:07 pm

Re: [IC] The New Mythos: The Gathering

Post by Loneclaw » Sat May 04, 2019 9:00 pm

Melanie "Arachne" Rogers
HP: 1
Status: Sociable
---
Bladewind wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 8:02 pm
His head moved back and forth as he looked at Velari and Melanie in turn. Her words seemed to have some effect on him as he relaxed his stance a little. His tail didn't start to wag just yet, but the half snarl faded and he didn't seem quite so tense. He let out a series of yelps - sounding like the barking sound of the raptors from Jurassic Park.
Melanie can't help but tilt her head a little and let out a, "Dawwwww!"

Her attention is then drawn to the grand entrance of their spectral host, and she raises herself up and turns towards him.
Doctor Malsyn wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 8:42 pm
His gaze travels over all six of you yet settles nowhere. "You're all getting along well enough. I had little doubt that you would, yet it pleases me all the same. Thank you for heeding my request."
"No problemo!" The Drider replies as she crosses her arms. "So what exactly did you want with us?"

User avatar
Arkrite
Posts: 1535
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:16 pm
Location: Canada

Re: [IC] The New Mythos: The Gathering

Post by Arkrite » Sat May 04, 2019 10:22 pm

Felix Ian Xavier - Mr. FIX I.T.

Felix considers the group for another minute.

After all the changes that had happened to the world it was hard to tell when you needed to be afraid of.

Reaching into his jacket he pulled out a business card, "Name is Felix, but people just call me Mr Fix IT-"

He trailed off as Echo made his entrance.

"Yeah, now I'm looking forward to hunting down a copy of Tobin's Spirit Guide," He says.

Post Reply