Fantastic Heroes & Witchery Rules Encyclopedia

A place to discuss game rules, homebrew systems and the like.
MisterB

Fantastic Heroes & Witchery Rules Encyclopedia

Post by MisterB » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:22 am

I felt that just doing random character builds when the whim struck was a waste of my energy and time. So I thought my efforts would be best spent in something that a actually interests me at the moment. I figured this would be the best index for this thread, about a wonderful table top game called Fantastic Heroes & Witches. FHW is a retro clone OSR using the OGL from third edition, and a wonderful job they did I think in keeping the feel of the old OSR editions but incorporating some more modern rule conventions. Now this thread will primarily be about house rules, game world's & settings, the actual system itself and creating new content from the game (such as monsters and magic items). I will be doing character builds for FHW, but I don't know if It's more appropriate to put them here or the character sheet index.

If you would like to learn more about FHW, you can either ask in this thread or looking it up on Rpgnow or do a search to find the actual website for the game and check it out yourself. The book is actually free as a non indexed PDF, or you can pay just a few dollars to get the index version. I would very much like to get the hardbound book one of these days.
Fantastic Heroes & Witchery
The Rogues Gallery
The Rules Encyclopedia

MisterB/JoshuaDunlow from ATT and Ronin.
Old third Edition Archive

MisterB

Re: Fantastic Heroes & Witchery Rules Encyclopedia

Post by MisterB » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:38 am

Place holder for index
The Rogues Gallery
The Rules Encyclopedia

MisterB

Alternative attribute scaling

Post by MisterB » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:01 am

Characters are first defined by their six ability scores: Strength, Dexteri-ty, Constitution, Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma. I have introduced a modified chart that favors the character in having a chance to be more exceptional. I have tried to keep the relative scales some what similar, just slightly stacked the odds in mid to high range.

Score Human comparisons Modifier
1 Disabled, baby –4
2-3 Impaired, young child –3
4-5 Pathetic, older kid, Elderly –2
6-8 Inferior, Young Adult –1
9-11 Average adult
12-14 Superior, trained or gifted person +1
15-16 Exceptional, athlete or erudite +2
17-18 Extraordinary, champion or genius +3
19 Phenomenal, divine / magic endowed +4
The Rogues Gallery
The Rules Encyclopedia

MisterB

Dwarves of the Iron Hold. (RoK)

Post by MisterB » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:45 pm

Iron Dwarf
Dwarves are the most technically inclined of the races, as the saying goes "Dwarves have minds of grinding gears and metal". Always trying to improve on things, however all of this engineering genius they lack in the magical departments. Save in the arts of Rune Magic, allowing them to make magical artifacts and raw Elemental forces. And mages are very rare to see in dwarf fortresses. Dwarves are generally though are solitary species, and prefer to keep their noses out of the business of other races. However despite this, they enjoy an alliance with humans and seem to work well together. Dwarves in general tend to live in mountainous are hill like terrain, and build their great halls and fortresses into the very earth itself. They are also broken up into Clans, for Dwarves make bonds of friendship and loyalty that seems extreme to others. Their is a more reclusive race of Dwarves, known as Mithril Dwarves. It's said they actually have a predisposition for magic that more surface dwarves can't understand.

Starting Age/Lifespan: Most Dwarves reach the age of maturity by the time they are 30 years of age. Dwarves are a sturdy long lived folk and can generally live about three times longer than most humans can (210-270 years of age).
Description: Dwarves vary in size from 4'2" to 4'10" in height, with men being two inches taller than women. And in general Dwarves are a hardy and sturdy race, broad of chest and shoulders. Though despite their smaller size are deft of hand, and great runners. Their skin is generally a light earth like tone, almost looking tan. Mithril Dwarves are actually three inches taller, have a paler skin tone.
Native Language: Dwarves speak Noldan, and often write in their own variation of Runic called " Duwar".
Religious Beliefs: Anwe (Goddess of Home), Dem (God of Merchants & wealth), Draig (Lord of Revelry), Nial (God of Smiths), Rungar (God of Runes), Thanvul (God of Earth)

Base Speed 8" (20 ft)
Attribute Adjust: +1 Con, -1 Dex (iron dwarves); +1 Int, -1 Cha (Mithril Dwarves)
Racial Hit Dice: 1d8 wound Points
Infravision is monochromatic, somewhat blurred, doesn’t allow to read books, and beyond 10 feet doesn’t allow to recognize peo-ple from their visage or clothing. It otherwise enables to function (move, combat, etc.) without any light just fine.
Dwarven Resistance: Dwarves get a +2 bonus to their saving throws vs magic and poison (including alcohol and drugs).
Stone Affinity: Dwarves get a +2 bonus to all skill checks that are related to minerals, such as climbing a cliff, appraising a gem, studying a stonework, practicing stone sculpture, etc.
Set in Stone. Iron dwarves receive a +1 bonus to strength saving throws when resisting a charge combat manuever. If the dwarf is also using a shield it becomes a +2 bonus instead.
Rune craft. Mithril Dwarves know deep secrets of rune crafting that grants them the ability to cast one spell from list provided, once per day. Detect Secret Doors, and Hold Portal.

Dwarf Specific Talents
Slayer. Some dwarves become obsessed on a ritual form of vengeance and revenge, called Groodge". Those dwarves who take this talent, have committed themselves to a path that usually ends in their own ruin. A dwarf commits their energies to a specific enemy which must be specified when they take this talent.From then out the dwarf gains a +1 bonus to Initiative, Attack, and Damage rolls. As well as a +1 bonus to saves against any special abilities the creature may posses. But in return the dwarf looses all Dexterity bonuses to Armor Class.
Last edited by MisterB on Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:38 am, edited 9 times in total.
The Rogues Gallery
The Rules Encyclopedia

MisterB

Elves of Vaelenwood RoK)

Post by MisterB » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:58 am

Elves of Vaelenwood
Elves are perhaps the most magically inclined of all the races. And in general are a creative, and artistic people. And this can be seen in just about everything that they create. Elves are generally thought of as a prideful and boastful people, and generally turn their noses down on more simple people, such as dwarfs. However despite this they also enjoy an alliance with humans, and in some cases dwarfs. But it becomes obvious that elves and dwarfs have some kind of friction between themselves. Elves generally live in heavily forested areas, one of which is the forest of Vaelenwood. They live in not only the tree's but anything, that they can fashion from the world around them. As long as it does not disrupt the harmony of nature. Elves are broken up into two main species, wood elves and high elves.

Starting Age/Life Span: Most elves reach the age of maturity by the time they are 50 years of age. Elves are a gentle but long lived race, and can live up to 5 times longer than most humans could. (350-450 years of age) 
Description: Elves range in height from 5'4" to 6'6" in height. Skin tone can be pale, fair, tanned, or even a dusky olive. What is true of all the elven races is their grace and beauty which they all share. Elves can have a variety of eye and hair colors, though black, silver, gold, and red are more common for hair tones. While greens and blues, are most common for eye colors. While both species of elves possess pointed ears, wood elves have darker complexions with ears that point away from the face almost vertically. While high elven ears point upwards horizontally.
Native Languages: Elves speak Vaelen
Religious Beliefs: Elves worship many gods, Feren (god of woods and animals), Galliel (Goddess of dance and wine), Amdar (Moon god, lord of illusions and mysteries), 
Racial Hit Dice: 1d8 wound pts
Speed 12" ( 30')
Attribute Adjust.: Wood elves: +1 Dex, –1 Con; High elves: +1 Int, –1 Con.
Infravision: Elves can see in complete darkness up to 60 feet, and outdoors slightly illuminated by the stars and the moon, up to 120 feet. Infravision is as per dwarves.
Elven Resistance: Elves are immune to Charm Person and Sleep spells, and to the Paralysis touch of ghouls and other undead.
Keen Perceptions: Elves get a +2 bonus on all Detection checks (e.g. searching for secret doors, noticing far away things, etc.).
Animal Empathy. All wood elves have this ranger ability as a talent regardless of their actual class. If the wood elf becomes a ranger, animals suffer an additional -1 to their save.
Innately Magical. All high elves know one grey magic spell of first level, which they can cast once per day regardless of class. This can be Detect Magic, Detect Secret Doors, Jump, Light, Melt Ice, Pushing away, or Running Faster.
I added new info and abilities to the dwarf section as well
The Rogues Gallery
The Rules Encyclopedia