Favorite moment of character growth in comics.

The place to talk about your favorite novels, comic books and web comics.
RUSCHE

Favorite moment of character growth in comics.

Post by RUSCHE » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:13 am

There are many moments in comics of primary or secondary characters growing . One of my personal favorites is when Peter is screaming at how selfish MJ is and is just a party girl. His pain of losing Gwen is raw and he unloads on MJ, she could have left. Instead she walks to the door shuts it and is there for Peter when he was at his lowest since losing Uncle Ben. Only a few panels but is changed her character forever.

Jabroniville

Re: Favorite moment of character growth in comics.

Post by Jabroniville » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:19 am

RUSCHE wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:13 am
There are many moments in comics of primary or secondary characters growing . One of my personal favorites is when Peter is screaming at how selfish MJ is and is just a party girl. His pain of losing Gwen is raw and he unloads on MJ, she could have left. Instead she walks to the door shuts it and is there for Peter when he was at his lowest since losing Uncle Ben. Only a few panels but is changed her character forever.
Oh yeah, that was a brilliant scene. Instantly turned her from the "fun one" to something more. Hell, you could claim that MJ's entire character is based off of that one scene- Pretty Girl; Tougher Than You Think.

I'm hard-pressed to find simple MOMENTS. It's more casual character growth to me, like how Kitty Pryde went from a spunky teen into a rebellious snarker loudmouth into a legitimate team player with a lot of wisdom despite her age.

I think Wolverine's thing with Mariko was a great moment for him- it immediately softened what was as pretty harsh, grizzled character. Like an "Oh, there's something MORE here" thing.

Great idea for a topic!

RUSCHE

Re: Favorite moment of character growth in comics.

Post by RUSCHE » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:45 pm

Jabroniville wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:19 am
RUSCHE wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:13 am
Oh yeah, that was a brilliant scene. Instantly turned her from the "fun one" to something more. Hell, you could claim that MJ's entire character is based off of that one scene- Pretty Girl; Tougher Than You Think.

I'm hard-pressed to find simple MOMENTS. It's more casual character growth to me, like how Kitty Pryde went from a spunky teen into a rebellious snarker loudmouth into a legitimate team player with a lot of wisdom despite her age.

I think Wolverine's thing with Mariko was a great moment for him- it immediately softened what was as pretty harsh, grizzled character. Like an "Oh, there's something MORE here" thing.

Great idea for a topic!
Thank you, to me the most natural growth over time would be Dick Grayson, he proved you could evolve a character over time and make it feel natural.