On the topic of California

If you need to argue some point, do it here.
Beleriphon

Re: On the topic of California

Post by Beleriphon »

There an interesting book on the topic of women in different fields. Primary focus is on STEM, but the basic concept applies to a wider array of fields I think.

Any ways, basic analysis is that in low income/developing/regressive countries the rate of male/female job holders in the STEM fields are something around 40/60, so very nearly equal. In most developed countries the rates are around 25/75. The question becomes why? Why would women take to STEM fields? The answer is apparently they choose STEM to get a good job or they get married and have kids until they can't any more. Those are really the only choices for careers. While in the USA, Canada, EU and other similar regions women have choices, a multitude of choices women often choose to follow what interests them even when given the option of a STEM career. That doesn't explain why woman don't choose STEM versus being a kindergarten teacher.
saint_matthew

Post by saint_matthew »

Beleriphon wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:27 pmThat doesn't explain why woman don't choose STEM versus being a kindergarten teacher.
No but what does is freedom of choice & how all traits aren't distributed equally among all people. And because they aren't distributed equally among individuals, that compounds in demographics, meaning that all traits are not equally distributed in demographics. Patterns emerge.

See in poor countries, men & women have the same interest, that of not dying. So they go in to fields that pay a lot. However in wealthy nations where there are fewer immediate concerns of survival men & women steer in to their individual interests.

This is seen in Maslows Hierarchy of Need, a five tier hierarchy that measures motivational needs, from the things you need for survival at the bottom right up to self actualisation at the top. The model also states that needs lower down in the hierarchy MUST be satisfied before individuals can attend to needs higher up.

So when you live in a country where survival is an issue that is where your focus is, ditto people who live in countries with low employment prospects (their focus is on having a job, any job & hopefully one that will still be there tomorrow).

However when you live in a country where your survival isn't constantly in jeopardy & where work is readily available, you can climb the hierarchy pretty quickly & people have the luxury of steering in to their personal preferences & those preferences, as we've already covered tend to form a pattern because all traits aren't equally distributed between men & women (either as a collective or as individuals).

And that is why more women go in to child care than STEM, because their freedom of choice is empowered by living in a wealthy first world nation.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJC6Zz9Y4ys

San Fransisco is literally going to shit. As in they now have a group of city funded individuals that go to the worst parts of the city with a steam cleaner to clean out the piles of human feces littering the alley ways early in the morning before people can complain about it. Combine that with the high rate of property crime, open drug use, etc., this city sounds absolutely nuts.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Anyone else really surprised that with as bad off as most of the state is.. that they haven't had major outbreaks of Covid19?

You'd think that as bad off as the state is, and as horribly virulent and as dangerous as the virus is, that there would have been many, many, many more deaths.

Or Baltimore
Or Detroit
Or...
Or...
Or...

A miracle, I guess?
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
squirrelly-sama

Post by squirrelly-sama »

Spectrum wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:01 pm Anyone else really surprised that with as bad off as most of the state is.. that they haven't had major outbreaks of Covid19?

You'd think that as bad off as the state is, and as horribly virulent and as dangerous as the virus is, that there would have been many, many, many more deaths.

Or Baltimore
Or Detroit
Or...
Or...
Or...

A miracle, I guess?
I assume the majority of those actually affected is that of the large homeless population who aren't properly tracked and also suffer from drug addictions, it doesn't seem impossible that there's non-insignificant portion of cases that are simply lost because the ones dying are never identified or tested and likely would simply be ruled as another cause of death.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

What I've been gathering is that in all likelihood, the Wuhan Flu had already been going around in the hmthose areas for awhile, helping to innoculate a lot of people with more asymptomatic variants or just genwrally milder cases. Herd immunity and all that.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Except, we're not seeing the secondary signs of large numbers of deaths either. We're not hearing stories of tens of thousands of deaths in just LA alone. Really hard to hide that sort of thing.
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Shock

Post by Shock »

Doctor Malsyn wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:00 pm What I've been gathering is that in all likelihood, the Wuhan Flu had already been going around in the hmthose areas for awhile, helping to innoculate a lot of people with more asymptomatic variants or just genwrally milder cases. Herd immunity and all that.
Wuhan Flu? Really?
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

I mix up what I call it since nobody seems to agree.
------------
Shock

Post by Shock »

Doctor Malsyn wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:26 pm I mix up what I call it since nobody seems to agree.
Gotcha. I apologize if I read something into it I shouldn't have
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

No biggie.
------------
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

I've been calling it Corvid 19 for months now.
So far nobody has corrected me. And I've yet to have been attacked by a single crow! ;~)
Ken

Post by Ken »

Arkrite wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:08 am I've been calling it Corvid 19 for months now.
So far nobody has corrected me. And I've yet to have been attacked by a single crow! ;~)
If you were attacked by more than two, it would be murder.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Ken

Post by Ken »

The two most important factors in the spread of any disease are how dense the population is and how dense the populace are.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Shock

Post by Shock »

Ken wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:13 pm
Arkrite wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:08 am I've been calling it Corvid 19 for months now.
If you were attacked by more than two, it would be murder.
That's gold right there