Sparks of Light [Interest]

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
EpicEclipse

Sparks of Light [Interest]

Post by EpicEclipse »

I've recently come across this game and find myself intrigued.

For those that don't know, it is a rules light leaning towards narrative type game with a backdrop of the magical girl genre as a whole.

I was wondering if anyone's even heard of this game and interested in playing or running it.
The game I am referring to can be found here. https://www.drivethrurpg.com/m/product/144223

Last edited by EpicEclipse on Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
jmucchiello

Re: Sparks of Light [Interest]

Post by jmucchiello »

My first M&M character was a magical girl. Brandon was touched by The Light by mistake. His sister Brandy was supposed to get the power. Instead he did. It was for a standard superhero game though.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

That sounds cool.

Sparks uses a somewhat generic (therefore flexible) background that has the Light and the Dark as godlike entities that provide power to their champions.

Sparks themselves are psudo immortal, while girls outnumber males 10 to 1 (male Sparks are known as Knight's), and there are courts where Sparks congregate and organize to defend the world against the forces of the Dark, and support each other to prevent falling to Twilight or further to the Dark.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Great timing. I was just thinking that it would be fun to play something in the magical girl genre.

As squirrely-sama has pointed out, there are many many different concepts of what magical girl genre has come to mean. What direction were you thinking of taking the game in?

Edit: and No, I don't already have a handful of rpgs in that direction, stop asking!
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Well, I was asking if anyone was interested in running a Sparks of Light game too. I'm will to run if noone else is, but until I have a more solid idea of interest, I don't have a specific campaign idea in mind.

Sparks is meant to be played part slice of life, part monster of the week, part investigation.

The way the background is set up, a troupe of nakama might have a specialization in the kinds of missions they take on like yomi liberation or suppression, or front line combat with the dark magic girls, or more reconnaissance type missions.

Basically magical girls have a psudo militaristic organization that protects the world from the forces of the Dark in the name of the Light. (dark magical girls are similarly organized, if done so a little differently, with attempts to convert members running both ways)

Like I said, the game intrigued me, so I brought it up, and the combat is single D8 based with some elements of Fate (aspects and hope points), but leans more to the narrative. Combat HAPPENS, but it's not the centerpiece of a session and meant to be dynamic and quickly resolved to get back to the more narrative parts. There aren't even skill lists.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Oh, and you have "Bonds" which are metaphorical bonds between your character and other people, places and things that you can draw power from, but in doing so weaken the bond, forcing you mend it lest you destroy the bond completely (which doesn't kill the subject of the bond or anything but does affect it. For instance, a bond with a friend being frayed may cause arguments, where a destroyed one might cause the friend to move away or forget your entirely)

Mechanically, the game is set up to make you call on the power of your bonds because challenges are designed to be tough enough to do so, the deck stacked against you as it were (the Light always has more restrictions on what a magical girl can do, making everything more difficult), so it's a natural part of the slice of life portion of the game to mend frayed bonds and also forge new bonds as new strength to call upon in times of need. Turn enemies into new friends, that sort of thing.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Sounds like a ton of fun. I'm eager to see how many other people show interest before picking up the book.
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Spectrum wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:19 am Sounds like a ton of fun. I'm eager to see how many other people show interest before picking up the book.
Likewise.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

So, plenty of views, but few posts.

Could be a few things; unknown system, the genre itself, or a lack of clear plan for who will run it and the campaign pitch.

I can address the last one by moving forward as though I'll be running it and pitch a campaign at least and see if that gets any interest.

The campaign idea I had in mind is one of a prophasy where a terrible evil is to be awoken by the Dark and the only hope for the world are a select few chosen of the Light. The characters would be newly sparked, stumbling into the circumstances that mark them as those destined Sparks that may be the Light's only hope to stop the ultimate darkness that shadows even Darkness itself.

The game would have the normal slice of life and weekly monster type scenes, with characters that are fresh to their powers learning what it means to be a magical girl, and balancing their normal lives with their alter identity as magical girls (or knights.)

And if there are system questions, I can try to field those. I have the book at least to look up the answers.