On the road (D&d 5E Recruiting 1)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Doctor Malsyn

Re: On the road (D&d 5E interest)

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Hey, who's to say the Minotaur aren't civilized enough to have their own magic academies? :lol:

I think I've moved away from that idea by now however, and I'm start to narrow focus on a ranger of some nature. I'll be looking at them more later, but would you be allowing the Revised ranger and the Spell-less variant from Unearthed Arcana?
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Of course.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

With level 1, do you have some event in mind to bring PCs together? Would we be starting in a city and leaving from there?
"Something pithy this way comes."
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Here's my crunchless idea so far, though I have that in mind too;

The Yuyan Archers of the eleven nation Helivel are an orginisation just as infamous as is famed, recognized as being among the most skilled in their craft throughout the continent. They are patrolmen, forrest guardians, mercenaries, and assassins all in one whom protect their nation's territories with fever against outsiders. Trademark to their image is their practice of silence, never speaking any more then absolutely necessary for a given mission. When one goes against their code or betrays their bow-brothers, this comes into play with a ritual slice of the accused's throat to sever their vocal cords.

As an exile to his land for crimes he can not reveal, the wood elf known only as the Nameless Exile was stripped of both his name as well as his voice. He does not seek redemption for his actions, nor does he ever hope to again see his homeland. Instead he wanders the wilds out of desire to explore and expereince the world at large first-hand, tackling whatever danger or odd-job comes his way with only a single non-committal grunt.

Your typical strong, mysterious, and silent type, one whom... Didn't really care to brood or anything like that. He does what he does because he can or should. Class-wise, the revised ranger with a future in the Hunter archetype, though I can change them both if you decude you don't like it. Thinking either Humanoids or Monstrosities as a favored enemy.
------------
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Flynnarrel wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:50 pm With level 1, do you have some event in mind to bring PCs together? Would we be starting in a city and leaving from there?
I want the party to have ties between each other at the onset, as mentioned in the interest post. Already traveling together, albeit perhaps not necessarily for a long time. Perhaps just beginning their journey as a group.

They don't necessarily have to have the same bond, one character might know one other who knows the other two for example, just as long as everyone is bound to at least one other character, be it a familial bond like siblings, or maybe honour-bound having been saved in the past, could be a lord and vassal type relationship, or whatever bonds you can think of.

You don't necessarily have to know everything about one another, but you should bare minimum have crossed paths and worked together at some point with enough impact to remember it.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Doctor Malsyn wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:28 am As an exile to his land for crimes he can not reveal, the wood elf known only as the Nameless Exile was stripped of both his name as well as his voice.
Not a big fan of the mute angle. Completely removes a primary method of interaction. If it was at a table, I'd be down for it, but in a forum medium, it'd be too much of a hindrance.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

EpicEclipse wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:48 am
Doctor Malsyn wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:28 am As an exile to his land for crimes he can not reveal, the wood elf known only as the Nameless Exile was stripped of both his name as well as his voice.
Not a big fan of the mute angle. Completely removes a primary method of interaction. If it was at a table, I'd be down for it, but in a forum medium, it'd be too much of a hindrance.
Perhaps in that vein then, less 'completely mute" but more 'hurts to talk at length'? Nothing more then a few simple sentences at a time, and with a scratchy abd gravely voice.
------------
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Sure, that's a lot better. Or something like unable to speak above a whisper. Still makes it difficult to communicate in say, the middle of combat or where there is a lot of ambient noise (IE, market), but not impossible.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Half-elves are regarded as those in-between two different worlds, but that isn't the half of it (no pun intended).

Deep in the Shadowfell where the not-quite-alive and not-quite-dead bemoan their half existence the Liminal King sits on his throne, half in shadow, half in light, surrounded by mirrored surfaces that let him peer all throughout His kingdom and even into the surface world. Through them, the shiny polished weapons He'd released, and a scant few operatives, the Lord of Reflections keeps his agency in the world just in case any of his 'subjects' slips his purview.

He chooses His operatives from those who are similarly 'in between', but Half-elves are not the only ones in such a position. The Yaun-ti are half snake, half man, part warm blooded, part reptile, they are even more creatures in between worlds. He Who Walks Between usually contacts His operatives via their reflections in water or in mirrors, usually at dawn or dusk.

Salazar Cyrux was stolen from the jungle temple of his home as a baby when adventurers, seeking to bring Good to a world that did not ask it of them raided the home of his tribe, killing any that Salazar would have called kin. The gold and riches they plundered probably served as much motivation as any benevolent intent. Still, the adventurers couldn't bring themselves to kill an infant so gave him over to a religious order that would place him with a suitable family. It so turned out that a teifling married to a half-drow were the perfect parents. They had done work with this order as they were accomplished smugglers that got non-humans through heavily contested areas like Hillsfar. Yes it was criminal but it was still work that needed doing.

So, Salazar learned of the world's cruelty and distrust of the different while also knowing love and acceptance and family. His heart grew not as cold and bitter as it could have been otherwise. He even played song to uplift spirits for the people his family smuggled. He met a man from his jungles birth lands who taught him to use a bracelet of bells (that sounded at times like the rattle of a steel rattler snake which Salazar enjoyed the irony of.

He was already used to a life of travel when he was contacted by the Liminal King and recruited to walk the world being another set of the MirrorMonarch's eyes via a mystic hand mirror he bears and uses to capture great vistas both gathering intelligence and looking for escaped undead or aberrations that the Limiinal King may claim belongs in His realm to either report their escape, expose them and foil their plans, or confront them in this world (often with violence), Salazar accepted and was granted with powers and knowledge useful to one in the King's employ.

When Salazar left, his Teifling adoptive father (a trained cleric), gave Salazar his old starting gear minus the Holy Symbol.

The Liminal King, MirrorMonarch, Lord of Reflections, He Who Walks Between, seated on the Throne of Dusk and Dawn.
Bard 2/Warlock(Hexblade) 1
Race: Yuan-ti
Meduim, NN Humanoid. 30ft.

str 8
Dex 14
Con 13
Wis 12
int 10+1 = 11
cha 15+2 = 17

Saves: Str -1 Dex +4 Con +1 Wis +1 Int 0 Cha +5

HP: 21, 3d8 Hit Dice
(8+5+5+3)
(8 + HP: 2d8 14 +3 Con)=25
AC 18 (Scale 14 + 2 Dex, +2 shield), Disadv to Stealth
Passive Perception: 13

Warpick +1 or +5 to hit, 1d8 -1 or +3 piercing.
Whip +4 or +5 to hit, 1d4 +2 or +3 slashing.
Eldritch Blast +5 to hit, 1d10 force damage.

Skills: Acrobatics* +4, Arcana* +2, Deception^ +5, Perception* +3, Stealth^ +4,
All others +1+Attribute
* class
^ background

Proficiencies: Light & Medium Armor, Shields, Simple & Martial weapons. 3 Musical Instruments, Thieves' Tools^, Gaming Tools^
Languages: Common, Abyssal, Draconic,

Background: Criminal, Specialty - Smuggler, Feature: Criminal Contact.
trait: I am always calm, no matter what the situation. I never raise my voice or let my emotions control me.
ideal: Charity. I steal from the wealthy so that I can help people in need.
bond: I’m trying to pay off an old debt I owe to a generous benefactor. (Liminal King)
flaw:

Racial:
• Darkvision. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can't discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.
• Innate Spellcasting. You know the Poison Spray cantrip. You can cast Animal Friendship an unlimited number of times with this trait, but you can target only snakes with it. Starting at 3rd level, you can also cast Suggestion with this trait. Once you cast it, you can't do so again until you finish a long rest. Charisma is your spellcasting ability for these spells.
• Magic Resistance. You have advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.
• Poison Immunity. You are immune to poison damage and the poisoned condition.

Class:
• Bardic Inspiration (3/Long Rest)
Bonus Action, give a d6 to target, for next ten minutes, after a roll, before results known, target can roll and add d6 to a d20 roll (ability check, Attack roll, Saving throw).
• Jack of All Trades: Add half Proficiency bonus on all non-proficient skill checks.
• Song of Rest: During short rest, if any companions (who can hear you) spend hit die to regain HP, add 1d6.

Spells (DC 13, +5 spell attack)
2 Bard Cantrip
Minor Illusion (S,M)
Message (V,S,M)

2 Warlock Cantrip
Eldritch Blast (V,S)
Booming Blade (V,M-weapon)

1 Racial Cantrip
Poison Spray(V,S)

3 1st + 1 1st level/short rest
Known
5(bard), 2(Warlock)

1st: (C=Concentration, R=Ritual, B=Bonus action, r=Reaction)
Faerie Fire(V) [C]
Healing Word(V) {B]
Sleep(V,S,M)
Tasha's Hideous Laughter(V,S,M) [C]
Unseen Servant(V,S,M) [R]
Hex(V,S,M) [B,C]
Shield(V,S) [r]

Animal Friendship(V,S,M) (at will, only v. Snakes)

Suggestion(V,M) 1/long rest

Equipment:

: 5d4*12 204 oops, x10 should be 170

Scale Mail 50GP
Shield 10GP
Dagger 2GP
War Pick 5GP (named Fang)
Whip 2GP (named Adder's Strike)
Arcane Focus Crystal 10GP
Bell 1GP
Ball Bearings 1GP
Caltrops 1GP
Clothes, Fine 15GP
Clothes, traveler's 2GP
Mirror, Steel 5GP
Explorer's Pack 10GP
Backpack 2GP
Bedroll 1GP
Rope, Silk 10GP
Grappling Hook 2GP
2x Pouch 1GP
Tantan(Musical Instrument) 6GP (wrist mounted)
Horn 3GP
Thieves Tools 25GP
Perfume 5GP
2x Playing Card Set 1GP
170 spent

wagon 35G, barrel 2G, sacks x100 1G, 50' Hemp ropex2 2G, cost 32G after barter.

Add Background equipment: A crowbar, a set of dark common clothes including a hood, and a belt pouch containing 15 gp

Horse
168GP trade goods
Ruby of the War Mage 100GP (Makes a weapon and Arcane Focus)
As for ties, Salazar readily looks for companions on the road or his family could have helped any non-humans among the PCs travel in human-centric lands (especially by forged papers), and while Yuan Ti are not exactly common, he can pass himself off as a half-dragonborn or teifling.

Edit 9/3 - swapped Lightning Lure for Booming Blade.
Last edited by Flynnarrel on Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:53 am, edited 20 times in total.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

"One must be quieter then a leaf drifting along the wind..."

Name: ?
Height: 6'4
Weight 190 lb.
Sex: Male
Hair: ?
Eyes: ?
Skintone: ?
Distinguishing Characteristics: Always masked and hooded.

The Yuyan Archers of the eleven nation Helivel are an organisation just as infamous as is famed, recognized as being among the most skilled in their craft throughout the continent. They are patrolmen, forest guardians, mercenaries, and assassins all in one whom protect their nation's territories with fever against outsiders. Trademark to their image is their practice of silence, never speaking any more then absolutely necessary for a given mission. When one goes against their code or betrays their bow-brothers, this comes into play with a ritual slice of the accused's throat to sever their vocal cords.

For years one elf trained and fought alongside his bow-brothers, yet there was a certain streak in him that bucked against the command structure at every turn. Normally one would've been kicked from the core for such an insubordinate trend, yet his natural talents were something they didn't want to just throw away. Instead they pressed him harder, beating a respect for authority into him through their intensive training methods. He would go on to become a fine member of their number for several decades, until one event changed everything and brought back every claim he should've been cut off when they had the chance.

Due to crimes against them too great for them to ignore, he was both decreed to be striped of his right to speak and of his very name, banished from ever returning to his homeland again.

This did not hinder the Nameless Exile for long, as the freedom from the rigged chains of authority made every scar they inflicted worth it all. So now he travels, adhering to his own moral compass rather then the one pressed upon him, tackling any challenge that comes his way with as much grace and guile as a trained Yuyan should. There is no greater purpose in his mind now then helping those who can not help themselves, no promise of an eventual return to the lands he once knew, nor a dream of some quaint homestead to spend the rest of his years. Only the dream of adventure and justice wrought.

-
Personality
My years as a Yuyan Archer have left me quiet and reserved, even before it became painful to speak. With the training I undertook I now watch the world with a gaze of caution for every potential threat.

Ideals
Never shall I stand idly by as injustice and senseless violence take place, so long as I have the chance to act. Not even the orders of a king would stop me from doing what is right.

Bonds
Of the people I now travel beside, there is someone whom I have known for far longer.

Flaws
The last people I trusted slit my throat and left me to die in exile, I am afraid of what will happen the next time I give someone my trust. The injury inflicted upon me may have had time to heal, but it healed wrong. I can never talk at length or much more above a whisper, and my gravely voice and appearance make me seem villainous.
Nameless Exile
Male CG Wood Elf Revised Ranger 3 (Hunter's Conclave)
Background: Outlander
Exp: 0
Inspiration: No
HP: 25/25 (3d10+3)
AC: 14 (1 Armor + 3 Dex)
Initiative: +5 (Advantage)
Passive Perception: 15
Speed: 35 ft.

Proficiency Bonus: +2
Herbalism Kit (Background Customization)
Longsword/Shortsword (Racial)
Lonbow/Shortbow (Racial)
Simple/Martial (Class)
Light/Medium/Shield (Class)
  • Strength: 12 | +3* (12)
    Athletics +3*
  • Dexterity: 16 | +5* (14+2 Racial)
    Acrobatics +3
    Stealth +5*
    Slight of hand +3
  • Constitution: 13 | +1 (13)
  • Intelligence: 10 | +0 (10)
    Arcana +0
    Nature +2*
    History +0
    Religion +0
    Investigation +0
  • Wisdom: 16 | +3 (15+1 Racial)
    Animal Handling +3
    Medicine +3
    Insight +5*
    Perception +5*
    Survival +5*
  • Charisma: 8 | -1 (8)
    Deception -1
    Performance -1
    Intimidation -1
    Persuasion -1
Attacks:
  • Longbow (Piercing | Ranged 160/600) +7 1d8+3
  • Shortsword (Piercing | Close)+5 1d6+3
  • Quarterstaff (Bludgeoning | Close) +3 1d6+1, Versatile (1d8+1)
Spells: Wisdom | DC 13 / +5 Features & traits:
  • Darkvision: 60ft.
  • Keen Senses: Proficient in Perception
  • Fey ancestry: You have advantage on saving throws against being charm ed, and magic can’t put you to sleep.
  • Tance: 4 hours of mediation as opposed to sleep.
  • Elf Weapon Training: Proficient with the longsword, shortsword, longbow, and shortbow.
  • Fleet of Foot: 35 base speed.
  • Mark of the Wild: You can attempt to hide even when you are only lightly obscured by foliage, heavy rain, falling snow, mist, and other natural phenomena.
  • Feature : Wanderer
    You have an excellent memory for maps and geography, and you can always recall the general layout of terrain, settlements, and other features around you. In addition, you can find food and fresh water for yourself and up to five other people each day, provided that the land offers berries, small game, water, and so forth.
  • Favored Enemy: Monstrosities
    You gain a +2 bonus to damage rolls with weapon attacks against creatures of the chosen type. Additionally, you have advantage on Wisdom (Survival) checks to track your favored enemies, as well as on Intelligence checks to recall information about them.
  • Natural Explorer
    You are a master of navigating the natural world, and you react with swift and decisive action when attacked. This grants you the following benefits:
    You ignore difficult terrain.
    You have advantage on initiative rolls.
    On your first turn during combat, you have advantage on attack rolls against creatures that have not yet acted.
    In addition, you are skilled at navigating the wilderness.

You gain the following benefits when traveling for an hour or more:
    Difficult terrain doesn’t slow your group’s travel.
    Your group can’t become lost except by magical means.
    Even when you are engaged in another activity while traveling (such as foraging, navigating, or tracking), you remain alert to danger.
    If you are traveling alone, you can move stealthily at a normal pace.
    When you forage, you find twice as much food as you normally would.
    While tracking other creatures, you also learn their exact number, their sizes, and how long ago they passed through
    the area.
  • Fighting Style: Archery
    You gain a +2 bonus to attack rolls you make with ranged weapons.
  • Spellcasting
  • Premeval Awareness:
    Beginning at 3rd level, your mastery of ranger lore allows you to establish a powerful link to beasts and to the land around you.You have an innate ability to communicate with beasts, and they recognize you as a kindred spirit.
    Through sounds and gestures, you can communicate simple ideas to a beast as an action, and can read its basic mood and intent. You learn its emotional state, whether it is affected by magic of any sort, its short-term needs (such as food or safety), and actions you can take (if any) to persuade it to not attack.
    You cannot use this ability against a creature that you have attacked within the past 10 minutes.
    Additionally, you can attune your senses to determine if any of your favored enemies lurk nearby. By spending 1 uninterrupted minute in concentration (as if you were concentrating on a spell), you can sense whether any of your favored enemies are present within 5 miles of you. This feature reveals which of your favored enemies are present,their numbers, and the creatures’ general direction and distance (in miles) from you.
    If there are multiple groups of your favored enemies within range, you learn this information for each group.
  • Ranger Conclave: Hunter
    Across the wilds, rangers come together to form conclaves—loose associations whose members share a similar out look on how best to protect nature from those who would despoil it.
  • Hunter’s Prey: Colossus Slayer
    Your tenacity can wear down the most potent foes. When you hit a creature with a weapon attack,the creature takes an extra 1d8 damage if it’s below its hit point maximum. You can deal this extra damage only once per turn.
Equipment: 0 | 0 | 0 | 99 | 0
Combat: Leather Armor (10lb.), Staff (4lb.), (2) Shortsword (2lb./2lb.), Longbow (2lb.), (60 Arrows) Quiver (1lb./3lb/)
Adventuring: Hunting Trap (25lb.), Roc's talon necklace, Traveler's Clothes (4lb.), Belt Pouch (1lb.), Backpack (5lb.), Bedroll (7lb.), Mess Kit (1lb.), Tinderbox (1lb.), (10) Torches (10lb.), (10d) Rations (20lb.), (Full) Waterskin (5lb.), (50ft.) Hemp rope (10lb.), Herbalism Kit (3lb.), (2) Flasks of Alchemist's Fire, (2) Flasks of Acid, (2) Vials of Antitoxen, (5) Bags of Caltrops
Trinkets:An empty silver snuffbox bearing an inscription on the surface that says “dreams’’
Animals: Horse (Elrond, Male black & White)
----------

Alright, there we go. Hope it'll be up to snuff. Regarding bonds, Exile is an elf who seeks to do right where there has been wrong, so anyone who holds similar ideals would be those he holds the most respect, if not his full trust.
Last edited by Doctor Malsyn on Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:53 am, edited 9 times in total.
------------
ZenGypsy

Post by ZenGypsy »

While I'm disappointed that Balor didn't fit, I can appreciate your concerns. I'm curious though, would you allow the Variant options from the Sword Coast Adventurer's guide? Specifically the Feral Tiefling option which allows them to swap the standard +2 Charisma, for +2 Dexterity. As Balor was really a melee DPS, I'm thinking I'd take the same role by going Rogue.

Currently thinking that Tieflibg blood is something like a recessive gene, so when he was born to a minor noble household, his mother fled with her son to protect him from his grandmother's desire to have the child killed.

He grew up in a gypsy caravan, learning the art of the con from the family elders. When a local knight learned of the caravan traveling on his lands he roused his bannerman to chase them off. The Tiefling discovered they were on the way and led them on a wild chase through the woods, buying time for the caravan to leave. Having earned the respect of his elders, they taught the young man the secret of the blade dance.

When he came of age, afflicted by wanderlust, he travelled to see more of the world.

Mechanically, I'd be playing a Charlatan Rogue, and eventually earn my way into the Assassin subclass.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Sounds better, but keep in mind what feral means. Feral tie flings aren't the "pretty" ones. More savage looking and acting.

Feral tieflings are one of those races that kind of need to be played as the name suggests. A civilized feral tiefling isn't really feral, is it?
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Only 3 actual hats in the ring for interest.. JM posted, but only commenting on standard array, not stating interest, so I am thinking this doesn't have much ground to work from at this time.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

You could try starting at a higher level. That might draw more interest. And a more concrete premise might help.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

More concrete how exactly? I thought I was pretty clear on what my intentions were.