Godzilla King Of The Monsters

The place to talk about your favorite movies, tv series, cartoons, music and theater.
Darrin Kelley

Godzilla King Of The Monsters

Post by Darrin Kelley »

I got tickets to see this for myself and my mom. We will be going next saturday. at 11:05 am Pacific time.

I will post here my opinion here on whether it was good or not. But I won't do spoilers.

Yes, I do know there was another thread based on this movie. But I hate the thread title. So I posted my own.
Darrin Kelley

Re: Godzilla King Of The Monsters

Post by Darrin Kelley »

I just got the prequel graphic novel in the mail. Godzilla Aftershock. I'm going to read through it and post my opinion of it. But without spoilers.
Last edited by Darrin Kelley on Sat May 25, 2019 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Well be seeing it the Tuesday after it comes out cant wait.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Darrin Kelley

Post by Darrin Kelley »

Godzilla Aftershock is a sequel to Godzilla 2014. It covers an encounter between Godzilla and a new monster called the MUTO Prime.

The story itself is self contained. But I seriously recommend getting it. It's a great book.
Chris Brady

Post by Chris Brady »

I heard that it relies too much on smoke effects, shaky cam, human acting and other obscuring effects that get in the way of the action, is this true?
Darrin Kelley

Post by Darrin Kelley »

Chris Brady wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 1:37 am I heard that it relies too much on smoke effects, shaky cam, human acting and other obscuring effects that get in the way of the action, is this true?
That criticism is true of Godzilla 2014.

I will be seeing Godzilla King Of The Monsters tomorrow morning. After that, I will be able to tell you if it is also true of this movie.

But it is true. Godzilla fans go to these movies for the monsters. The humans in them are an annoyance along the way to the monster action at best.
Darrin Kelley

Post by Darrin Kelley »

I just got back from seeing Godzilla King Of The Monsters.

The movie was a good solid Godzilla film. And I only had a couple of minor nitpicks. But otherwise? It was a great movie.

My first complaint: Way too much concentration on the humans. Humans are supposed to be largely incidental in a Godzilla movie. That element shows a lot of how Godzilla regards humanity as a whole. As being incidental. The humans are supposed to be part of the backdrop. Showing their fear. And generally providing a human reaction to all of the destruction. They are supposed to provide side story at best.

My second complaint? I can't tell you without engaging in a spoiler. But it was pretty minor.
RUSCHE

Post by RUSCHE »

I just watched it today as well, it was respectful of the History of Godzilla and my minor complaints were the human portrayal as well. I enjoyed it and it did not disappoint me at all.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Darrin Kelley wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:01 pm I just got back from seeing Godzilla King Of The Monsters.

The movie was a good solid Godzilla film. And I only had a couple of minor nitpicks. But otherwise? It was a great movie.

My first complaint: Way too much concentration on the humans. Humans are supposed to be largely incidental in a Godzilla movie. That element shows a lot of how Godzilla regards humanity as a whole. As being incidental. The humans are supposed to be part of the backdrop. Showing their fear. And generally providing a human reaction to all of the destruction. They are supposed to provide side story at best.

My second complaint? I can't tell you without engaging in a spoiler. But it was pretty minor.
Compared to the previous Godzilla 2014, this movie at least had a sense of agency for the human characters, which was a big part of the development of the story and, in my opinion, made sense. Not only Monarch was founded to study and counter the kaiju, but this version of Godzilla (and the other kaiju as well) seem to be more aware of humanity.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Darrin Kelley

Post by Darrin Kelley »

Woodclaw wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:03 pmCompared to the previous Godzilla 2014, this movie at least had a sense of agency for the human characters, which was a big part of the development of the story and, in my opinion, made sense. Not only Monarch was founded to study and counter the kaiju, but this version of Godzilla (and the other kaiju as well) seem to be more aware of humanity.
Humans are not supposed to have any agency in a Godzilla movie. They are supposed to be absolutely helpless in the face of the Kaiju. That's a part of the very point those movies are making.

That there are things completely beyond human ability to cope with or control.

Once the humans are given any kind of agency. It undermines the central themes.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Darrin Kelley wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:08 pm
Woodclaw wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:03 pmCompared to the previous Godzilla 2014, this movie at least had a sense of agency for the human characters, which was a big part of the development of the story and, in my opinion, made sense. Not only Monarch was founded to study and counter the kaiju, but this version of Godzilla (and the other kaiju as well) seem to be more aware of humanity.
Humans are not supposed to have any agency in a Godzilla movie. They are supposed to be absolutely helpless in the face of the Kaiju. That's a part of the very point those movies are making.

That there are things completely beyond human ability to cope with or control.

Once the humans are given any kind of agency. It undermines the central themes.
Agency doesn't equate to a fighting chance.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Shadowmask

Post by Shadowmask »

I don't see how this is supposed to be a battle of good and evil. In the end regardless who wins, all humans are food unless they build a army of mechagodzillas to kill off all the monsters.
Chris Brady

Post by Chris Brady »

Saw it, not impressed. I will wait another week to explain why.
Chris Brady

Post by Chris Brady »

OK, it's been over a week and I have a question: HOW COULD ANYONE TELL HOW GOOD THE FIGHTS WERE? It was so DARK, full of shaky cam and/or obscured by snow, or shoved into a small corner. And can anyone answer me why they trotted out about 20 monsters but only have maybe 4 of them fight about three times? I was expecting 25% of the movie to be talky bits, but that turned out to be the main thing. I don't care about that. I wanted to see monsters fight and get mulched by Gojira while they destroyed the various cities in the process. That's why I spent the points for a free movie.

I'm not a Godzilla fan, I don't have any attachment to any character/monsters, I just wanted monster rampaging on the screen. Hell, I could have done without any humans beyond screaming bloodstains waiting to happen. If you're going to put humans into a monster mash movie, give them giant robots so that everybody can get into the action. I didn't get that, I got... boring talking pokemon jargon that wasn't necessary. If y'all enjoy the film, more power to ya. I wanted my money back, and I got in for free.
Darrin Kelley

Post by Darrin Kelley »

The humans were the big problem with the movie. They had way too much focus. They should be there to provide some narration and some side story. And not much else.

This was a chance for them to really do it big and provide a really spot on Godzilla experience. But again they missed the point.

And I agree there was too much time spent in the dark. The only daytime scenes were with Rodan. And that was way too little.

For what it was? I liked it. I got all of the call-backs to the original Godzilla series. Which was a part they did well.

This was a movie for Godzilla fans. Not general audiences. It didn't do a good job of explaining things to people new to the property. They focused too much on the human drama. Where they should have been giving a more deep explanation of the setting. So yeah. They dropped the ball on this.