Marvel and X-Men and Fantastic Four (spoilers)

The place to talk about your favorite novels, comic books and web comics.
Miracle

Marvel and X-Men and Fantastic Four (spoilers)

Post by Miracle »

Warning, random spoilers, maybe.

I do not keep up with comics, I don't have the wallet for it. Apparently they're doing away with X-Men and Fantastic Four because they're not producing movies for them. If so, how are they doing this in the canon of the comics?
bsdigitalq

Re: Marvel and X-Men and Fantastic Four (spoilers)

Post by bsdigitalq »

The FF have essentially disbanded. Ben Grimm is with the Guardians of the Galaxy, Johnny is with the Inhumans as some kind of liason, and Reed and the rest are on some sort of tour of the Marvel multiverse fixing leftover problems from "Secret Wars".

The X-Men...are going through a huge rollercoaster involving a whoooooole lot of shit with the Inhumans across multiple storylines and events. However, unlike the Four there haven't been any huge cancellations or talk of getting rid of them, and Marvel keeps announcing new X-Men related events and books and inserting X-Men related characters everywhere. Unlike the FF, I think the X-Men are too valuable an IP for Marvel to just quietly get rid of like they have with the Four, and the Inhuman push apparently hasn't taken, apart from breakout characters like the new Ms. Marvel (no surprise there).
Miracle

Post by Miracle »

Thanks, bsdigitalq!
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

There's still, like, 8 X-Books out there too, so this much-fabled "De-push" has been nonsense regardless :).
Michuru

Post by Michuru »

Miracle wrote:Warning, random spoilers, maybe.

I do not keep up with comics, I don't have the wallet for it. Apparently they're doing away with X-Men and Fantastic Four because they're not producing movies for them. If so, how are they doing this in the canon of the comics?
I gave up on reading comics because reboots and bad writing. Still, I play HeroClix, and the rumors of Marvel killing those licenses seems half right. It's been a few years since they've made a single FF-related figure for the game. The last one was Thing, but when he was possessed by one of the Worthy during Fear Itself, so that doesn't really count. Still, we just had an X-Men set.

Similarly, look at the shelves in your toy store. Marvel Legends had an X-Men line not long ago, but I haven't seen any FF figures in ages.

Like bsdigitalq said, X-Men are too valuable of an IP for them to, but FF? They can pretend they don't exist.
NVAE Setting - VP: 5
L-Space

Post by L-Space »

I'm still holding out hope that Fox will either sell (or strike a Sony-esque deal) with Marvel Studios in regards to Fantastic Four.
Formerly luketheduke86