Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
FuzzyBoots

Re: Mas y Menos

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:16 am -Más y Menos come from the Teen Titans cartoon series, and were added as a one-off "they joined the team during One Year Later, but soon quit" thing, along with numerous other characters. Their names meaning "Plus and Minus", they were part of Titans East in the cartoon, and mind-controlled into fighting the Titans. In the comics, they appeared teen-aged instead of like small kids, but are seen only in background panesl for the most part. They are seen being badly injured in Final Crisis- an expanded edition was needed to indicate that they survived being impaled by shards of glass.
Their names are a phrase which translates out closer to "more or less". :) Their names are a pun, at least of sorts.
Jabroniville

Re: Mas y Menos

Post by Jabroniville »

FuzzyBoots wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:46 am
Jabroniville wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:16 am -Más y Menos come from the Teen Titans cartoon series, and were added as a one-off "they joined the team during One Year Later, but soon quit" thing, along with numerous other characters. Their names meaning "Plus and Minus", they were part of Titans East in the cartoon, and mind-controlled into fighting the Titans. In the comics, they appeared teen-aged instead of like small kids, but are seen only in background panesl for the most part. They are seen being badly injured in Final Crisis- an expanded edition was needed to indicate that they survived being impaled by shards of glass.
Their names are a phrase which translates out closer to "more or less". :) Their names are a pun, at least of sorts.
Oh, OK- thanks. That wasn't mentioned in the other bios I was looking at :).

And thanks for the note about Offspring being able to change color regularly, unlike his father.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab’s Builds (Wendy & Marvin! Arrowette! Speedy! Miss Martian!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Hey, cool- this guy is doing a series of reviews about Mortal Kombat's run: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWVUUAlqjfA

When I was stunned that Deadly Alliance was the best-selling game in the series, it was because most of the new characters sucked, and the "3D Era" of the series wasn't particularly well-remembered. But APPARENTLY the game was adored by fans and went over like gangbusters, hence the giant sales. And MK: Deception was a giant hit, too!
Jack of Spades

Post by Jack of Spades »

Wait, does this mean we're not going to get write-ups of Cheshire's teammates Spear, Bazooka, Slasher, Tanker, and Scorcher? I mean, how much more jobbery can you get?
Jack's Deck build threadFantasy Geographic Society campaign web site
Jabroniville

Static

Post by Jabroniville »

STATIC (Virgil Ovid Hawkins)
Created By:
Dwayne McDuffie & John Paul Leon
First Appearance: Static #1 (June 1993)
Role: Peter Parker Hero, Electrical Blaster
PL 9 (147)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 1
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Athletics 3 (+4)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+7)
Deception 3 (+5)
Expertise (Pop Culture) 7 (+10)
Expertise (Science) 4 (+7)
Insight 2 (+4)
Investigation 3 (+5)
Perception 2 (+4)
Persuasion 2 (+4)
Ranged Combat (Powers) 2 (+9)
Stealth 2 (+6)
Technology 4 (+8)
Vehicles 1 (+2)

Advantages:
Improved Aim, Improved Critical (Blast), Ranged Attack 6

Powers:
"Super-Conductor Electromagnetism"
"Electrical Cages & Nets" Blast 7 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Shapeable, Concentration) (Diminished Range -1) (27) -- [33]
  • AE: Blast 9 (Feats: Split) (19)
  • AE: Move Object 8 (Flaws: Limited to Metallic Objects) (8)
  • AE: "Taser Punch" Affliction 9 (Fort; Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated) (Extras: Cumulative) (18)
  • AE: "Ball Lightning" Blast 9 (Extras: Area- 15ft. Burst +1/2) (Diminished Range -1) (23.5)
  • AE: "Shockwave Force Field" Force Field 5 (5)
  • AE: Communication (Radio) 2 (Extras: Area, Selective) (14)
"Static Cling" Affliction 5 (Strength; Impaired & Vulnerable/Immobile & Prone) (Extras: Extra Condition, Sustained +2) (Flaws: Limited Degree) [15]
"Magnetized Floating Saucer" Flight 5 (60 mph) (Flaws: Platform) (Quirks: Requires Metals -2) [3]
Senses 4 (Detect Electricity, Acute, Ranged, Radio) [4]
Immunity 10 (Mental Effects) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) [5]

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Blast +9 (+9 Ranged Damage, DC 24)
Cages & Nets +9 Area (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Taser Punch +7 (+9 Affliction, DC 19)
Ball Lightning +9 Area (+9 Ranged Damage, DC 24)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +3 (+8 Force Field), Fortitude +5, Will +7

Complications:
Power Loss/Side-Effect (Electrical Power)- If Static uses too much of his power at once, he will slowly fatigue himself, and drop in power.
Relationship (Father, Mother & Sister)
Relationship (Frieda Goren & Daisy Watkins)- Virgil likes both girls, but superhero stuff complicates his life.
Secret (Identity)
Enemy (Various "Bang-Babies")- Virgil fights many other people empowered by the same "Big Bang" that gave him his own powers.

Total: Abilities: 44 / Skills: 36--18 / Advantages: 8 / Powers: 60 / Defenses: 17 (147)

Milestone Comics- A Game Try:
-Milestone Media was an interesting thing. Basically, during the Comic Book Boom of the late '80s & early '90s, a group of Black Comic Book writers from the era got together and formed their own company, featuring a more ethnic-leaning (ie. "mostly non-white, specifically black") line-up of characters. It was a game try, and a worthy aspiration (there were very few non-white heroes, even back then, ESPECIALLY in solo books), and the line had a few beloved titles. It had some excellent creators (including future JLU show-runner Dwayne McDuffie), and most of the issues I've read have been good. The art was very unique for the time as well, and it did some classic "Real-Life Issues" stuff, like Icon's teen sidekick getting Teen Pregnant.

-But alas, it was not to be, and the line died. Despite DC Comics backing them, they came out at a time when SEVERAL "New Universes" were being released (including Jim Shooter's Valiant Comics, and Image Comics), fans never quite took to a line of "black comics", it got little props in Wizard Magazine (remember THAT?), and in 1997, the line ended producing comics, just keeping the licenses.

Static- Icon of Milestone:
-The biggest Milestone character is unquestionably Static. Originally supposed to be a Marvel character, McDuffie instead 'ported him over to the newer Milestone-verse, making him their "Peter Parker" hero, ie. the Teen Everyman With Real-Life Problems. Later, when Milestone died and DC integrated the characters into their own universe, he got a role on The Teen Titans, and we even had a Static Shock TV SERIES for a few years back in the day! I only ever saw a couple episodes and found it pretty generic, but some people seemed to like it. He even got his own comic book series during the 52 DC relaunch, but it kind of blew- it wasn't BADLY written, but the first issue did precisely jack squat to inform readers just who the hell Static was, why a robot dude named Hardware talked to him, and how he got those powers. It was a giant failure since that was THE VERY FIRST ISSUE. And yeah, DC cancelled it as one of their six-lowest-selling books of the relaunch.

-In any case, Virgil Hawkins (named for a black student famously denied entry into a Florida University) was a geeky black kid in a rougher, inner-city neighborhood. He gained electromagnetic powers from exposure to a chemical produced during a gang war in his neck of the woods (later called the "Big Bang" for all the people empowered by the same event- much like Valiant and other companies, a "Shared Origin" was used)- he uses them to make a difference, becoming the superhero "Static". He engages in a handful of adventures before Milestone Comics closed, four years later.

DC's Static:
-A TV series lasting for 52 episodes started up in 2000, and it was linked to DC's Justice League shows via a crossover (later, an aged Virgil shows up as part of a Future Justice League). As DC now owned the Milestone library, they eventually translated him to their universe, figuring (correctly, really) that he was the perfect Young Black Hero to showcase some diversity in their line. His interesting powers and established backstory helped, too. He made his DC debut in 2010, ending years of red tape (Geoff Johns wasn't even allowed to use him before then!). He is introduced to the DCU by way of the Teen Titans line, being kidnapped and forced to fight in a knock-off of Roulette's "Fight Club" thing. He is freed by the Titans and joins them. Alas, this is the more disastrous era on the team, as editorial problems cause a lot of roster shifts, and so the character never finds his footing. He is separated from Dakota City for a while, as he was thought-dead after his abduction (I think the writers just didn't want to deal with his entire cast), and slowly reintroduces himself to them. He is de-powered by the end of continuity, reappearing in the "New 52" as a guy with a solo book... which quickly got cancelled after being one of the lowest-selling ones. He has only been seen a handful of times since, DC having long since ruined any chance of crossover appeal from the cartoon.

Static's Powers:
-Static actually has a pretty cool set of powers, from Shapeable Damage to Ball Lightning to Taser Punches. Electrical Powers are a pretty cool way to get a lot of unique Effects or Power Stunts, and he even sorta flies around on his little Metal Disc.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Jack of Spades wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:09 pm Wait, does this mean we're not going to get write-ups of Cheshire's teammates Spear, Bazooka, Slasher, Tanker, and Scorcher? I mean, how much more jobbery can you get?
Damn, I don’t think I’ve ever seen or heard of them. Research indicates like one-line bios, because DC sucks :).
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:37 pm
Jack of Spades wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:09 pm Wait, does this mean we're not going to get write-ups of Cheshire's teammates Spear, Bazooka, Slasher, Tanker, and Scorcher? I mean, how much more jobbery can you get?
Damn, I don’t think I’ve ever seen or heard of them. Research indicates like one-line bios, because DC sucks :).
I never heard of them, either. :?
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

A group of one-note jobbers who appeared precisely (to my knowledge) EXACTLY ONCE, in a Titans annual which introduced the Adrian Chase version of the Vigilante (essentially a Punisher rip-off, given Frank Castle was UBER-over at the time). A group of assassins/mercenaries who were hired by a generic mob boss to protect him from the "Godmother", an utterly-stereotypical female Mafia leader (ironically, she preceded the very similar Punisher villain "Ma Nucci" by a couple decades). The motley killers consisted of:

Bazooka: A racist, redneck (wearing the requisite baseball cap even), paramilitary guy who used a (what else?) bazooka, though modified for a bit more accuracy and faster reloading rate, I guess.

Scorcher: Yeah, a pyromaniac (depicted as WAY more gibbering and single-minded than Heatwave) with a flamethrower, fire-proof suit, and oxygen mask. Like most flame-throwers in four-color comics, it seemed to have a lot more capacity in its fuel tanks than real world counterparts.

Slasher: The only other female merc aside from Chesire-seemed to be quite professional, "Only about the money, honey", Afro-sporting, blaxsploitation type. Used knives, short swords, and double-edged throwing blades. Seemed to be a decent hand to hand fighter too, though not close to elite.

Spear: An African (not African-American) hunter and tracker known for his namesake weapons; depicted as quite muscular and fit, as well as having quite an accurate throwing arm. Seemed cynical and cold. Didn't like Bazooka, for obvious reasons.

Tanker: Basically a guy in bargain-basement Iron Man armor, except it rolled on treads and really was the size of a mini-tank. He seemed the most intelligent of the bunch, having designed and built the suit himself. Apparently was once an engineer and designer, had some kind of psychotic break when his family was murdered, and was taking out his anger on the world. No weapons shown except brute strength, but he was tough enough to nearly choke out Wonder Girl (remember, this is 1980s Donna Troy) until a burst of adrenaline let her break Tanker's grip and rip through the armor.

So a bunch of underpointed PL 7-8 weapons users and minor league powersuit guy. All my best

And then Chesire, whom most of us are acquainted with.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Goldar wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:53 pm
I never heard of them, either. :?
I remember them, but GC beat me to it.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Milestone was a solid attempt to add some more non-white heroes to comics, though it would have worked better like what it eventually became: merged with the DCU proper, adding their characters to the DCU.

Static was definitely the break out character and my favorite, though I also greatly enjoyed Icon and Rocket. Hardware was also kind of interesting, but more after character development set in and he realized how much of an ass he was being. Icon and Rocket was actually a better take on the "Hawk and Dove" concept, as the heroic duo almost always started on opposite ends of everything, but rather than one being shown to be right more often, frequently it was a compromise that worked best.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Zachary Zatara

Post by Jabroniville »

ZACHARY ZATARA
Created By:
Geoff Johns & Tony Daniel
First Appearance: The Teen Titans #34 (May. 2006)
Role: Legacy Character, Annoying Braggart
Group Affiliations: The Teen Titans
PL 8 (118)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+5)
Deception 5 (+5)
Expertise (Arcane Lore) 5 (+7)
Expertise (Stage Performer) 8 (+8)
Insight 4 (+4)
Investigation 4 (+4)
Perception 3 (+3)
Ranged Attack (Magic) 2 (+7)
Sleight of Hand 5 (+10)
Stealth 2 (+5)

Advantages:
Ritualist, Trance

Powers:
"Magical Powers"
"Egnahcepahs!" Transform (Anything to Anything Else) 8 (40) -- [43]
  • AE: "Tsalb!" Blast 8 (Extras: Penetrating) (24)
  • AE: "Tcetorp!" Force Field 6 (Extras: Ranged, Affects Others 8) (20)
  • AE: "Tropelet!" Teleport 8 (Extras: Extended, Accurate) (Flaws: Distracting) (24)
Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Magic Blast +7 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +2 (+8 Force Field), Fortitude +5, Will +5

Complications:
Power Loss (Magic)- Zachary needs to speak backwards to utilize his magical powers. Loss of confidence or over-using his powers can also slow him down.

Total: Abilities: 38 / Skills: 40--20 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 43 / Defenses: 15 (118)

-Zachary Zatara seems to have been inspired by the son of Zatanna seen in Kingdom Come, but is a teenage boy who's actually a cousin of Zatanna- apparently the Golden Age Zatara had a brother. Boasting that he's the "most popular teenaged magician", he briefly joins the Titans. Possessing zero tact, patience or modesty, he was a poor fit for the team. He had a small friendship with Kid Devil, and was responsible for accidentally sending them both to Neron's hellish realm, where Kid Devil gained his powers. Zachary, however, soon left the book over issues with Raven's magic driving him nuts, leaving Kid Devil to become a signature member of Sean McKeever's run.

-Being a very, VERY minor character, Zachary nonetheless pops up in a few random things when a character needs magical help and the writer doesn't want to be saddled with a more "major" hero like Zatanna, who is that unfortunate combination of "Iconic & Powerful" but "Not a Big Name", making her a poor teammate, as she'll overwhelm the story. He was one of those kidnapped and forced to fight by the Dark Side Club.

-Zachary has the same Variable-themed powers as Zatara and Zatanna do- he can do anything by speaking it backwards. He is nowhere near as charismatic, though. He basically stats up as "Sucky Zatanna"- PL 8 overall, largely because of his expensive Transform power.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

greycrusader wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:10 am
A group of one-note jobbers who appeared precisely (to my knowledge) EXACTLY ONCE, in a Titans annual which introduced the Adrian Chase version of the Vigilante (essentially a Punisher rip-off, given Frank Castle was UBER-over at the time). A group of assassins/mercenaries who were hired by a generic mob boss to protect him from the "Godmother", an utterly-stereotypical female Mafia leader (ironically, she preceded the very similar Punisher villain "Ma Nucci" by a couple decades). The motley killers consisted of:

Bazooka: A racist, redneck (wearing the requisite baseball cap even), paramilitary guy who used a (what else?) bazooka, though modified for a bit more accuracy and faster reloading rate, I guess.

Scorcher: Yeah, a pyromaniac (depicted as WAY more gibbering and single-minded than Heatwave) with a flamethrower, fire-proof suit, and oxygen mask. Like most flame-throwers in four-color comics, it seemed to have a lot more capacity in its fuel tanks than real world counterparts.

Slasher: The only other female merc aside from Chesire-seemed to be quite professional, "Only about the money, honey", Afro-sporting, blaxsploitation type. Used knives, short swords, and double-edged throwing blades. Seemed to be a decent hand to hand fighter too, though not close to elite.

Spear: An African (not African-American) hunter and tracker known for his namesake weapons; depicted as quite muscular and fit, as well as having quite an accurate throwing arm. Seemed cynical and cold. Didn't like Bazooka, for obvious reasons.

Tanker: Basically a guy in bargain-basement Iron Man armor, except it rolled on treads and really was the size of a mini-tank. He seemed the most intelligent of the bunch, having designed and built the suit himself. Apparently was once an engineer and designer, had some kind of psychotic break when his family was murdered, and was taking out his anger on the world. No weapons shown except brute strength, but he was tough enough to nearly choke out Wonder Girl (remember, this is 1980s Donna Troy) until a burst of adrenaline let her break Tanker's grip and rip through the armor.

So a bunch of underpointed PL 7-8 weapons users and minor league powersuit guy. All my best

And then Chesire, whom most of us are acquainted with.
Oh, haha, the black guy with the spear is ringing a bell. Oh, and sure enough, I have that issue. I can probably stat these dinks, then :).
Jack of Spades

Post by Jack of Spades »

To me, they really stand out for being the caliber of goon the Monitor could provide in his pre-Crisis days. Look forward to seeing what you do with them.
Last edited by Jack of Spades on Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jack's Deck build threadFantasy Geographic Society campaign web site
Jabroniville

Kid Devil

Post by Jabroniville »

OH MY GOD IT'S CYCLONE I MISS HER SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

KID DEVIL (Eddie Bloomberg, aka Red Devil)
Created by:
Alan Kupperberg, Dan Mishkin & Gary Cohn
First Appearance: Fury of Firestorm #24 (June 1984- as Eddie), Blue Devil #14 (July 1985- as Kid Devil)
Role: Kid Sidekick
Group Affiliations: The Teen Titans
PL 8 (124)
STRENGTH
2/6 STAMINA 2/6 AGILITY 2/5
FIGHTING 6/10 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Acrobatics 4 (+6, +9 Devil)
Athletics 4 (+6, +10 Devil)
Deception 4 (+5)
Intimidation 4 (+5)
Perception 5 (+5)
Stealth 1 (+3, +8 Devil)
Technology 6 (+10)

Advantages:
Improved Initiative, Ranged Attack 6

Powers:
"Demonic Might/Metagene"
Enhanced Strength 4 [8]
Enhanced Stamina 4 [8]
Enhanced Agility 3 [6]
Enhanced Fighting 4 [8]

"Fire Breath" Blast 8 (16) -- [19]
  • AE: "Portals of Fire" Teleport 5 (Extras: Extended) (15)
  • AE: "Hot Touch" Burning Aura 4 (16)
  • AE: "Hot Hands & Wings" Flight 4 (30 mph) (8)
Regeneration 5 [5]
"Prehensile Tail" Extra Limb 1 [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Demonic Might +10 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Hot Touch +10 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Fire Breath +8 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +2 (+5 Devil)

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (+10 Devil, DC 17-20), Parry +6 (+10 Devil, DC 16-20), Toughness +2 (+6 Devil), Fortitude +4 (+8 Devil), Will +6

Complications:
Relationship (Rose Wilson- Ravager)- Eddie has a crush on his dangerous, mentally-unstable teammate.
Relationship (Blue Devil)- Eddie was formerly Blue Devil's sidekick, but the two grew apart, and Eddie learned to distrust him after finding out that his mentor was responsible for his aunt's death.

Total: Abilities: 38 / Skills: 28--14 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 55 / Defenses: 10 (124)

-Now here's a character I was familiar with from WAY back- that very first DC book that I owned, DC Who's Who, featured him just above Kid Flash. I thought he looked like a tool (a freckle-faced kid in chubby armor), but Blue Devil seemed pretty awesome. Imagine my surprise when he popped up years later, becoming Sean McKeever's "Signature Character" of sorts in his Teen Titans run. A Kid Genius, Eddie Bloomberg worked for his Aunt's film company, and built a suit with similar mechanics to the Blue Devil one that got fused to the hero of that book. A minor character in a book that didn't last too long, Eddie tried to take over for his Aunt when she died, but failed. He only appeared in a few books after that, such as a team-up with Young Justice.

-Then, after decades of irrelevance, Eddie reappears in Teen Titans, scheming for more power with his friend Zachary Zatara. He ends up getting in over his head by making a deal with NERON, which transforms him into a magically-powered, demonic Kid Devil. The deal? He will get to keep his soul only if he can still trust Blue Devil by his 20th birthday. Naturally, Mephi-- I mean Neron says that oh, by the way- Blue Devil CAUSED the plane crash that killed Eddie's aunt.

-Feeling like a bit of an outsider, Eddie plays the part of the "Immature Teen", trying a little too hard to fit in, and being kind of a goof-off. He rejects Blue Devil, and fatalistically accepts his fate, but still maintains his heroism. In a later issue, however, he throws a PARTY at Titans Tower, which results in a panty-raid on Wonder Girl's room, and a PRANK CALL to BATMAN. Despite all this, and various lectures, he sticks around, likely because he's the ONE GUY not beholden to another book or character- McKeever was able to use Eddie whenever he wanted, and didn't have to deal with Batman, Wonder Woman or Blue Beetle stuff. However, numerous team restructurings leave the book rudderless, with Eddie eventually being de-powered when Brother Blood absorbs his demonic powers- this apparently frees him of his deal with Neron as well. However, it later turns out that Eddie never HAD signed the deal, and that Neron had simply activated Eddie's "metagene" to give him powers. This leads to Eddie being the team's "Non-Powered Buddy", helping out at the base, but he is eventually killed by a radioactive guy who was trying to blow up the city. Huh- I didn't know that he died.

-All in all, Kid Devil seemed likable enough- a bit of a f*ck-up, but in that Marvel Universe sense where you know he MEANS well- he's just unable to keep from screwing up or doing something dumb. He was really Sean McKeever's "Baby" during that Titans run, but never really pushed as a Mary Sue- in fact, he was almost CRAPPED on too much, making you wonder why he was left around.

-Eddie is somewhat useful, but a very "Teen Hero" type of character- PL 8 with strength and Blasts. His armor is detailed below.

"Kid Devil Armor" (Flaws: Removable) [24]
Enhanced Strength 3 (6)
Protection 4 (4)
Senses 1 (Infravision) (1)
"Mini-Gills" Immunity (Drowning) (1)

Dazzle Visuals 8 (16) -- (17)
  • AE: "Exploding Bubbles" Blast 4 (8)
-- (29 points)

"Rocket Trident" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [9]
Blast 6 (Feats: Variable- Flames or Electricity (13) -- (15 points)
  • AE: Flight 4 (30 mph) (8)
  • AE: Strength-Damage +2 (2)
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
squirrelly-sama

Post by squirrelly-sama »

Ares wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:54 am Milestone was a solid attempt to add some more non-white heroes to comics, though it would have worked better like what it eventually became: merged with the DCU proper, adding their characters to the DCU.

Static was definitely the break out character and my favorite, though I also greatly enjoyed Icon and Rocket. Hardware was also kind of interesting, but more after character development set in and he realized how much of an ass he was being. Icon and Rocket was actually a better take on the "Hawk and Dove" concept, as the heroic duo almost always started on opposite ends of everything, but rather than one being shown to be right more often, frequently it was a compromise that worked best.
I really loved the show, it aired at just the right time, when the DCAU was at it's peak and the only other teen hero show that was part of the main canon was Batman Beyond which had a much darker atmosphere to it. The character was somewhat generic but it was rather interesting to see an inner city kid as a hero. There may have been comics with such things but I don't recall any cartoons before then that had that.

It's not as good as the other DCAU shows but, that's mostly because the other DCAU shows where just so amazing. It was a rather solid series and had quite a bit of heart in some episodes, I always like to think of it as "Fresh Prince of Bel Aire... but with super heroes!"