IC - Against the Cult of the Reptile God - Chapter 1: The Darkness in Orlane

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Flynnarrel

Re: IC - Against the Cult of the Reptile God - Prologue: Fateful Meetings

Post by Flynnarrel »

"Ooh, Fey. They're replacing people with chagelings, trying to take over the whole town. Or maybe dopplegangers. Yeah, if not Fey then dopplegangers. Or maybe both(!) and Orlane is caught in some Fey vs. Doppleganger Turf War!" Aldan says, his mind spinning with possibilities.

"If *I* were taking over a town I'd go after leadership. Does anyone know if Orlane has a mayor or governor? town guard with a captain? heck, even a blacksmith can be very influential in small towns."
"Something pithy this way comes."
Shock

Post by Shock »

Tyragorn
HP: 13

Tyragorn shook his head at Aldan's suggestion. "There is a constable but I don't know who he answers to, if anyone."
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Aldan nods, "Sounds like we need more information. I heard there was a town nearby, Hookhill. We might want to stop there first."

"As for how to approach this... if there is trouble afoot we can't just go in there straightaway demanding answers. I've been tasked to do this by the Golden Road Trading Company. I could use my wizard persona - seriously, people tend not to lie to a wizard - and we could go in as agents of GRTC, scouting out a new Trade Route stopover. Things like this mean a lot of coin coming in to a town an people should be inclined to talk to us. It would give us a reason to be asking questions and an incentive for them to give answers. The Administration (whoever they are) would likely try to put their best face forward but I'm sure we can read between the lines and lies can tell us as much about a person as the truth." Aldan says.

"You all could be entourage - a mix of muscle or maybe representatives of investors looking to see this through." Aldan turns to Sister Bright, "And Pelor's a Farming God, right? Orlane is a farming village. Maybe you could be there to represent the interests of the community, make sure the new outpost won't hurt the farmers. I'm sure a minorly adversarial relationship shouldn't be hard for us to foster." He gives her a winning smile.

"Does this sound good?"
Tattooedman

Post by Tattooedman »

Zasio Blackthorn:

The ranger listened to Aldan's suggestion, nodding along slightly. The idea had merit, it might actually even work. "I do not have a problem with it."
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:45 pm
LOl- "The Tattooed Man"? What kind of ABSOLUTE DILDO would refer to himself as "The Tattooed Man" :P!?!
stavaros_the_arcane

Post by stavaros_the_arcane »

Georgia piped up. "Traveling performers like me hook up with all sorts of caravans and groups on the road so no one will bat an eye at me being along. As for finding information, I'm pretty good at getting people to open up around me. Plus there are plenty of places a bard can hang out in and just listen where folks will let their guard down and their tongues wag."
Shock

Post by Shock »

Tyragorn

Tyragorn shrugged at the suggestion of deception. "My sister lives in Orlane and will know many of the people. She can help us find what we need to know much easier."
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Aldan

Aldan's eyes widened. "Oh."

"Is she... okay?"
he asks hesitantly.
Shock

Post by Shock »

Tyragorn

Tyragorn sighed. Until Aldan asked, he hadn't considered that she might not be ok. "I don't know. I have some letters from her but I haven't seen her in a year's time."
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Aldan

Aldan just nods, falling silent for once.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

As everybody finishes speaking Jarrak nods.

"Well, I wish you the best of luck. All I can offer is some traveling supplies and a good diner to see you off."

And with that he rings a bell sitting by his chair, and a small army of dwarves march in carrying a veritable feast, many different meals of various origins, breads, meats, and soups. While they deliver their trays to the table a few bards slip in, a pair of whom wave cheerfully to Georgia, and proceed to play while wine and ale are poured for the dinner guests.

Whatever is to come, this one night shall be a small celebration, a night to remember for the dark times ahead.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Chapter One: The Darkness in Orlane

The first half of the trip isn't very pleasant with the weather taking a turn for the worst, with rain and clouds dogging your every step.

By the time Hookhill comes into sight the clouds start to break, and the sun starts to peek out, it's likely that even the most hardened travler would be welcoming a warm meal, and a dry bed.

Anyone who spends a little time talking around can hear the many rumors currently running through the town.

Nobody seems to have any hard proof, but everybody seems to have a friend of a friend of a friend who saw it with their own eyes the last time they were in Orlane:

One rumor being passed around tells of a multi-headed monstrosity that creeps through the town at night kidnapping children for some ungodly purpose.

Another tells of a dangerous sorcerer from the Valley of the Mage who has set up a lair in the Dim Forest, and is currently working all sort of vile enchantments there, and that this is seeping into the town of Orlane.

The last one is an insidious rumor about how the people of Orlane are being altered, and that the "changelings" walking among them now can be spotted by the fang marks found in their throats.

Should you be unfortunate enough to hear these rumors where other people can hear the conversations quickly degenerate into conversations about how everybody else's explanation is obviously wrong and why theirs is the only possible explanation.

Questions asked about the town earn you a few names.

They do know there is a blacksmith, but he's new and the old one recently moved. (Unlike many leaving Orlane, the old blacksmith is actually known to have moved back to Ramelean)

The mayor, Zakarias Ormond, has been around for quite some time and while considered a little full of himself is actually pretty well respected since he's been doing a good job, until the current problems.

The local constable is a man called Grover who's not really well liked, but sounds to be a capable fighter.

There are three Inns of note in the area:
The Boozy Badger is a smaller inn, but if the inn is mentioned the wine is usually described as exceptional.
The Golden Grain is the largest on in town with the most rooms.
The Foaming Mugg is mentioned a few times as having a loyal customer base. But a few people have indicated it wasn't open the last time they went through.

The other notable structure is the Temple of Merikka, the only local church, which is a massive stone structure built on a hill overlooking the town.

You also hear about a mill, general store, tailor, and a money changer, though nobody really has much to say about them.

The only good news you pick up is that what ever problems have befallen Orlane, it hasn't reached Hookhill. At least, not yet.

The next leg of your trip is far more pleasant, though near the end the blistering heat of the summer starts to beat down on you. But as the heat becomes too much you see the town in the distance.

Your goal is finally in sight. Somewhere in this picturesque farming town is a darkness that has been haunting its residents.
With your goal so close in sight there's only one question left.
How do you enter the town?
Flynnarrel

Re: IC - Against the Cult of the Reptile God - Chapter 1: The Darkness in Orlane

Post by Flynnarrel »

Aldan changes into his official-looking Wizardly robes. His Rapier is opposite a sheathed wand (which he confessed was just a conveniently-shaped stick he found). And numerous pouches line his belt.

Last night he could finally address the letters and writs he bears to the mayor, Zakarias Ormond. They introduce Aldan Tallymin and 'his entourage' as authorized agents of The Golden Road Trading Company with the cover story he'd discussed with the group that first night.

"I say we stride in, bold as brass, and ask the first receptive house we come to for directions to the mayor's house first. Sound Good?" he confirms with his companions.
Tattooedman

Re: IC - Against the Cult of the Reptile God - Chapter 1: The Darkness in Orlane

Post by Tattooedman »

Zasio Blackthorn:

The ranger considered his compatriots suggestion for a moment. It did fit with their cover he had to admit, though this wasn't an area he'd consider himself to be anywhere near an expert in.

In for an ounce, in for a pound he thought to himself before he answered. "Sounds fine to me."
Last edited by Tattooedman on Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:45 pm
LOl- "The Tattooed Man"? What kind of ABSOLUTE DILDO would refer to himself as "The Tattooed Man" :P!?!
Shock

Post by Shock »

Tyragorn

"Should we split? We can ask more questions that way, couldn't we?"
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

"And get picked off individually by the doppelgangers and/or fey? Then replaced? Never again being able to trust each other when we came back together? Not even being able to set code words because of them possibly reading our minds through magic?" Aldan says, his pique rising before taking a calming breath. "I'm... not sure that's a good idea there, Buddy."