D&D 3.5 , Pathfinder , M&M , SaSd20

General discussions about role-playing games. Share stories, ask for advice, talk about the industry, etc.
MisterB

D&D 3.5 , Pathfinder , M&M , SaSd20

Post by MisterB »

I'm curious if there are some peeps still into either of those games still. I haven't really played any other them personally though I have tried to stay in the know about things regardless of my lack of knowledge. I do like fifth edition I'm just not a big fan of their skill Proficiencies. I also have silver age sentinels d20.

Is it just me, is there are certain level of complexity and meta gaming involved in either 3.5 or Pathfinder. This is one of the primary reasons Ive been hesitant about them, that and the immense amount of books involved.

Now I love M&M as well, but I'm a big fan of hit points, damage resistance and damage dice for weapons. I suppose I'm trying to find a happy medium between the system that isn't too complex without things going into the metagaming mind frame.

I thought w could chat about the system s and consider those things you like about each system, etc...
catsi563

Re: D&D 3.5 , Pathfinder , M&M , SaSd20

Post by catsi563 »

Ive never had the opportunity to ge tinto pathfinder but being that its D&D 3.5 with a bit of spice added its not that much a change. D&D 3.5 is still one of my fave games though im a sucker for classic D&D red box and 1rst ed AD&D.

Never got into SAS d20 version Superheroes shouldn't have a leveling system for me too stiff, M&M and Champions always did it right with completely constructed heroes. marvel faserip was good as well as long as you allowed players to build using the random roll creation system as a guideline.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

In general I've left al d20 systems except M&M a long time ago. D&D 3rd edition was a massive stepping stone into modern game design and the d20 OGL pretty much allowed a plethora of new designers to test their real skills, but after all is said and done there are issues with the system I wasn't able to overlook anymore.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

I did Pathfinder League for the better part of a year. If a D&D game, there's a lot going for it. Yes, there are a lot of books out there. The prices are also considerably cheaper if you buy the ebook versions directly from Paizo. Every once in a while, there is also a Humble Bundle for them. There is also a pretty great SRD wiki.

I don't know how you feel about published worlds vs your own world. One of the downsides is that the world books aren't discounted very much at all and tend to be very expensive. There are also many many four hour adventures for the entire level scale that can be picked up pretty cheapy with wildly different levels of quality. Some were incredible, some were very poorly thought out messes.
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Poodle

Post by Poodle »

Of course. When I do fantasy I always play 3.0. To me it was the best of the lot. 3.5 was similar but with unbalanced races IMHO.
Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world. -Albert Einstein.