Jabverse- The Victory League (IC)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Jabroniville

Re: Jabverse- The Victory League (IC)

Post by Jabroniville »

Hubert laughs along nervously with the interactions of his team- disparate groups always make the best squads, but maybe these guys are TOO disparate? Silver Witch and Semilla seem like normal girls. Halcyon always seems to be treating things like a game. Hercule appears stand-offish, The Shield morose, and Dr. Mercury... possibly more like a super-villain than super-hero. Well, that IS one of the most legendary things that can happen to ANY super-hero team, so maybe that's not the worst thing in the world... he snaps out of it, realizing that kind of thing gets people killed.

"Wow- great to see everybody interact!" he says. "Now, Halcyon has a lot of experience in spycraft and social interactions, which is something the team needed a bit more of, so I think she'll cover some bases we'd left uncovered. The battle went pretty well, but a lot of unexpected things happened, and I'd like the squad to be more prepared- her skills will help prevent things like being ambushed, or the team splitting up too much."

He's about to continue, when a beeping distracts him. "I-- huh? Oh- my super-crime alert is starting up! I've got a team that scours the news for super-human activity in the surrounding area, and we've got a hit! Let's see what we---" his voice trails off as he pushes a button, revealing a screen behind him.

On it, the cellphone video footage of a band of super-villains assaulting a yacht is overseen. A few other shots of unrelated events are viewed as well. Finally, an attractive black woman reports from behind a desk. She speaks clearly and evenly:

"The thieves have been identified as The Agents of Aquarius" she says, her face that distant, emotionless quality newscasters usually show when things are serious. "A band of aquatic-themed super-villains last seen active four months ago. Their leader- the mysterious Aquarius- has never been seen on camera, and appears to never take part in missions. The members themselves come from across the globe, though most are known to be Americans. Their origins are usually disparate, though some have gained technology from an unknown source."

She continues. "The Agents managed to make off with millions of dollars of merchandise, jewelry and cash, as many of Mega-City's most wealthy individuals- including the owner of this network" she adds, stifling what looks to be a smirk, "were on board the yacht in hopes of winning various auctionable goods from the Undersea Kingdom of Atlantis."

"Similar thefts have been going on all over the city- with bank trucks near the city waterways have been struck" the camera shows a tipped-over vehicle with cash flying around, "as well as the destruction of several Coast Guard vehicles" several trashed boats are shown. "It appears obvious that the Agents are operating brazenly and out in the open, but disappearing before police or superhuman investigation can arrive. Few are badly injured, but many are hospitalized with non-life-threatening electrical, tooth or super-strength-related injuries."

The report goes on with a few specifics, while Hubert is a bit taken aback. "THOSE guys, already? We barely understood what happened with them LAST time." he says. "Man, that's a BIG CREW- if we take THOSE guys out, that's DEFINITELY something that'd show the media jackals what-for." He turns to the team and smiles. "What do you all think?"
Ken

Post by Ken »

le Petit Hercule
Jabroniville wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:09 amFinally, an attractive black woman reports from behind a desk. She speaks clearly and evenly:

"The thieves have been identified as The Agents of Aquarius" she says, her face that distant, emotionless quality newscasters usually show when things are serious.
"Quand la Lune sera dans sa septième maison
Et que Jupiter s'alignera avec Mars...
" Adrian wasn't quite singing but as he quietly spoke lyrically, some of the melody of the old song slipped through.
When the Moon is in the seventh house
and Jupiter aligns with Mars
Jabroniville wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:09 am"Few are badly injured, but many are hospitalized with non-life-threatening electrical, tooth or super-strength-related injuries."
Ther presence of Hercule's hood concealed the look of confusion Adrien's face took on as he heard this.
Jabroniville wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:09 amThe report goes on with a few specifics, while Hubert is a bit taken aback. "THOSE guys, already? We barely understood what happened with them LAST time." he says. "Man, that's a BIG CREW- if we take THOSE guys out, that's DEFINITELY something that'd show the media jackals what-for." He turns to the team and smiles. "What do you all think?"
"These Agents of Aquarius, they have over twenty members, oui? I think, if we confronted them en masse, we would likely be overwhelmed. However, if we could face them in smaller groups, perhaps with us in smaller groups as well, we might be able to, how do you say, 'reel them in.'"

Hercule then added, "What did happen 'last time'?"
yes / in mass (all at once)
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:09 am "What do you all think?"
"I miss Trident Lady already." Rosa says quietly.

"How would we even go about finding these guys?" she asks.
"Something pithy this way comes."
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

Doctor Mercury

Maki sighs. "I'm sorry, Rosa, it looks like we'll have to schedule you for some other time," she says to her new favorite subject. "I promise not to forget about it, rest assured."

She sifts through her memories of the Agents of Aquarius as she watches the news report.
OOC: Expertise: Medicine: 1D20+19 = [13]+19 = 32
to pick out any interesting powers, mutations, vulnerabilities, or other interesting features of the Agents of Aquarius from a mad doctor perspective.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Halcyon
HP: 1; Condition: Investigative mystery

Hubert laughs along nervously with the interactions of his team- disparate groups always make the best squads, but maybe these guys are TOO disparate? Silver Witch and Semilla seem like normal girls. Halcyon always seems to be treating things like a game. Hercule appears stand-offish, The Shield morose, and Dr. Mercury... possibly more like a super-villain than super-hero. Well, that IS one of the most legendary things that can happen to ANY super-hero team, so maybe that's not the worst thing in the world... he snaps out of it, realizing that kind of thing gets people killed.

"Wow- great to see everybody interact!" he says. "Now, Halcyon has a lot of experience in spycraft and social interactions, which is something the team needed a bit more of, so I think she'll cover some bases we'd left uncovered. The battle went pretty well, but a lot of unexpected things happened, and I'd like the squad to be more prepared- her skills will help prevent things like being ambushed, or the team splitting up too much."
Rena who'd been observing everything quietly caught Huberts nervous laugh and gave him an arch look that seemed to say I warned you about this but left her I told you so unsaid as he continued and merely gave an I'll do my best shrug to his assessment of her abilities.

She nearly rolled her eyes at the crime alert but did give him credit it was good to have resources dedicated to up to date intel as she knew well, so she perked up and quietly listened to the report.

She smiled a little as the rendition of Age of Aquarius played through her mind, and she repeated aloud Alors la paix guidera les planets Et l'amour va diriger les étoiles
Then peace will guide the planets
And love will steer the stars
"These Agents of Aquarius, they have over twenty members, oui? I think, if we confronted them en masse, we would likely be overwhelmed. However, if we could face them in smaller groups, perhaps with us in smaller groups as well, we might be able to, how do you say, 'reel them in.'"

Hercule then added, "What did happen 'last time'?"
"Yes I'd like to know as well."her voice was cool and even but she looked Hubert dead in the eyes as she said it letting him know he was on the hook for any misinformation this time.
"I miss Trident Lady already." Rosa says quietly.

"How would we even go about finding these guys?" she asks.
" We lure them out with something they cant resist, and make sure we do it in a place where we have the advantage." she responded easily

"Adrian is right we cant take these guys in numbers and if were near or on water well be massacred easilly. But we wont draw them too far from the water either, they know it's their strength and wont want to give that advantage up, We need to entice them with something they want, and set it in a location just close enough to the water to entice them away from it but not far enough away that they balk at the prospect."
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Ken wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:06 pm Hercule then added, "What did happen 'last time'?"
"*sigh*- it's a long story, and most people don't even understand all of it" Maynard says, a bit frustrated. "BASICALLY, what we know is that a series of aquatic robberies were going on, all along the coast. They'd strike different cities, big and small shipments of stuff, etc. And nobody thought much of it- there's TONS of aquatic super-villains out there" he says, as if this is a normal thing to say. "So it was MONTHS before anyone realized this was all connected. Some guys would get arrested, but get broken out by some buddies- again, a common enough thing. But THEN..."

He continues. "It turned out a lot of these guys were WORKING together. Nobody'd really pieced it together, because they were always in different combinations. But enough people noticed that certain guys would show up in multiple places, and they figured they were a big group. A few notable super-heroes had fought them, like our own Osprey" referring to one of Mega-City's non-powered champions, "Manta Ray, and others. But it was a HUGE brawl in the middle of New York Harbor, against The Ascendants, that made everyone realize this was a HUGE group with a lot of power."

The Ascendants, as some of you might know, is one of numerous groups making a claim to the "#2 Super-Hero Team" crown. They're known to be quite adversarial with the Legion of Light, the undisputed #1s, seeing them as a big arrogant and unwilling to give chances to newer heroes- an "Elite Club", as it were. Their membership includes a few former Legion members, up & coming heroes, and more. Manta Ray is a notable aquatic super-hero, believed to be a Non-Powered Hero with a gadget-like suit.

"They demolished several city blocks, TONS of villains came out of the woodwork, a few superheroes were badly hurt, and they only managed to arrest half of the group. Great White, their heaviest-hitter, turned on the group halfway through, after someone hit him by accident. The group vanished for a long time, but nobody ever saw their boss, Aquarius. And The Ascendants weren't overly talkative about it- they like to promote themselves, so I'm thinking it didn't go there way."
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

RainOnTheSun wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:02 am Doctor Mercury

Maki sighs. "I'm sorry, Rosa, it looks like we'll have to schedule you for some other time," she says to her new favorite subject. "I promise not to forget about it, rest assured."

She sifts through her memories of the Agents of Aquarius as she watches the news report.
OOC: Expertise: Medicine: 1D20+19 = [13]+19 = 32
to pick out any interesting powers, mutations, vulnerabilities, or other interesting features of the Agents of Aquarius from a mad doctor perspective.
(OOC: Damn, gotta re-read my bios from last year, lol)

Both Great White and Mako gained their powers from magic. Bull Shark is actually a natural shark-man, but was genetically-modified by his Requian Empire masters to be stronger. Blue Shark represents the current pinnacle of "Super-Steroid" technology- a very dangerous and illegal form of studying that usually results in scores of dead subjects. That she gained good levels of strength is very rare and remarkable. Barracuda is one of the more notable examples of someone permanently-modifying themselves in order to gain super-powers- he probably did so before you did, and the research part of it may even have inspired you.

Triggerfish is almost certainly the result of SOMETHING- a grey-skinned "mermaid" with animalistic features and a shark's lower body. Various other individuals are also unknowns, such as the giant Whale Shark or the stretching Oarfish. A gadgeteer/Powersuit villain named Dr. Nautilus was with them, but managed to escape. Though "Doctor" is a pretty common supervillain thing, and generally does not imply eight years of study.

From a medical perspective, Dr. Paul Morris, aka Thresher Shark, was certainly a well-known name in the surgical field before an accident cost him one of his hands and ruined his career. In fact, you might know him! Snide guy, kind of a douchebag meat-head- represents the worst in surgeons (who are generally less intellectual than those who diagnose illnesses or study medicine).
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

Doctor Mercury

Maki nods to herself. "Oh, that's right. Paul's group. Poor, unfortunate, stupid Paul." She sighs. "On the other hand, I'd love to have an opportunity to study Blue Shark. Something about her physiology made her the perfect receptacle for the most crude strength-enhancement drugs."
Ken

Post by Ken »

le Petit Hercule

Hercule looked at Dr. Mercury, "Paul?"

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

Doctor Mercury

"Paul Morris. A, hmmm, reasonably competent surgeon who lost a hand in an accident. I met him a few times in school. Not a pleasant man. I'm fairly sure I intimidated him intellectually."
OOC: Maki thinks she intimidates everyone intellectually.
She shrugs. "Then he lost his hand in a car accident, and instead of asking me to grow him a new one, he attached some absurd robotic tentacle to his arm and embarked on a life of crime."
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

The Shield (Harry Mackenzie)
HP: 2 Condition: Normal

"Sounds like they're already in the middle of their crime spree," Harry notes, "And it sounds like they're looking for easy targets that are on the coastline or on the water itself. So, I guess the first thing we would want to do is see what tempting targets they' haven't' already hit, or any big parties that are going to be happening soon."

He pauses, "Or at least that's where I'd start, normally. To be honest I don't really know anything about the local area. Or these super villains."
Psistrike

Post by Psistrike »

Silver Witch

"I'm stumped, never caught any of this group in the act. Shoot, the most dangerous I've dealt before joining this team is some of the weaker members of the Dino Crew. Though if comics have taught me anything, never ever deal with aquatic foes in their favored environment unless you outnumber them 2 to 1 at a minimum. When we do find them, we need a way to lure them as far away from the docks or any large bodies of water as possible. I for one don't want to become an unwitting co-star in their remake of some cheesy SyFy channel movie or Jaws."
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

Doctor Mercury
Psistrike wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:25 pm
"I'm stumped, never caught any of this group in the act. Shoot, the most dangerous I've dealt before joining this team is some of the weaker members of the Dino Crew. Though if comics have taught me anything, never ever deal with aquatic foes in their favored environment unless you outnumber them 2 to 1 at a minimum. When we do find them, we need a way to lure them as far away from the docks or any large bodies of water as possible. I for one don't want to become an unwitting co-star in their remake of some cheesy SyFy channel movie or Jaws."
Maki looks away from the screens. "What? Oh, darling, no, of course we'll be breathing water when we meet them. It would be silly not to! We can't just count on them to come to us."

A blur of motion, and she's picked up a writing pad and a pen from the other side of the room. She starts to write down notes on it, and the constant sped-up scritch of the pen sounds like a motor running. Sheets fly into the air as she goes through page after page with lightning speed.

"It should be ready by tomorrow," she says after five seconds.
Ken

Post by Ken »

le Petit Hercule

"Pourquoi suis-je soudain très inquiet?" Hercule said quietly.
Why am I suddenly very worried?

Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

"I'm... not sure I can swim... or dive down, anyway. I might..." Rosa looks embarrassed, "float."
"Something pithy this way comes."