Earth Liberty: An Ares Merged-U Homebrew

Have a setting you like or a home brew you want to share? Do it here.
Ares
Site Admin

Earth Liberty: An Ares Merged-U Homebrew

Post by Ares »

I've decided to get back into contributing more to the site creatively, though it's going to be a bit slower since I'm working on several things right now, at least one of which will hopefully be profitable. And I do plan on getting back to what I consider to be my big "setting" project, Multiverse: The Animated Series. But to start with, I thought I'd take it slow with something a little smaller but kind of fun.

So. Earth Liberty. This is actually the third time I've re-named this universe, which shows I should have put more thought into it before posting this thread. I was originally going to call this The Alterna-Verse (no relation to Alterna Comics), simply because I liked the name and this setting was going to be a collection of 'alternative' universes separated from the Big Three (Marvel, DC and Image). Then I noticed a trend of patriotic themed heroes I plan to use and decided to call it Earth Patriot. Now, in this hopefully final rebranding, I've decided to call this version of it Earth Liberty.

So this idea started when I was re-reading some old FemForce issues, and discovered that part of the impetus for AC Comics (the creators of FemForce) to get into the comics business was the desire to re-print Captain Marvel comics and do new stories with the Fawcett characters. And they actually had a small window to do so before DC got the rights to the Fawcett heroes, but ultimately AC decided to make their own setting. However, they also made use of characters who had fallen into the public domain, including a lot of heroes that have been used by other settings.

So I decided to look at these Public Domain heroes (helped by my copy of Jess Nevin's Encyclopedia of Golden Age Superheroes), and found that many of them had been used in other settings. And if I decided to count each useage of the characters as equally valid, and then took the heroes of that setting as well, it made for the kind of fun mashup setting I love doing, but on a smaller scale than my usual.

As such, Earth Liberty is going to be a somewhat unique universe with the following guidelines:

#1) No characters that originated from the mainstream DC, Marvel or Image universes. Earth Liberty is going to be its own Earth with its own heroes, while DC, Marvel and Image will remain their own Earths in the larger multiverse. So Superman, Spider-Man and the Savage Dragon will each have their own Earths and not be directly incorporated into Earth Liberty. However, I will include a look at the larger Earth Liberty multiverse and the crossover events its had with the other Earths. The best way to think of it is to imagine the Pre-Crisis DCU, with Earth's 1, 2, 3, 4, X and S. Only now you'll have Earth Liberty (the main Earth of interest), Earth Justice (the DC Universe), Earth Marvel (the Marvel Universe), so on and so forth.

#2) The settings will be primarily drawn from sources/companies whose works that include include public domain, Golden Age heroes such as Daredevil, the Black Terror, Miss Fury, the Green Lama, etc.

#3) Settings also considered will be those that include strong patriotic themed heroes, including non-American heroes with a strong patriotic theme.

#4) Several settings to be considered will be those that larger companies like Marvel and DC have acquired over the years. Said companies will be "liberated" and placed here to be their own property instead.

#5) Additional settings will include those with a strong magical basis for abilities, as well as characters who have similar thematic ties to existing properties (such as the Blue Beetle Scarab and the various Kamen Rider transformation trinkets).

As of now, settings that are definitely part of Earth Liberty would include:
AC Comics (FemForce, with the public domain heroes being the basis for the setting)
Fawcett Comics (linked by several expies used by AC Comics)
Project SuperPower (linked by Daredevil, the Green Lama, Black Terror and other heroes)
Quality Comics (linked by several expies used by AC Comics)
Charlton Comics (linked by Miss Fury, Peter Cannon and several expies used by Project SuperPower and MASKS)
Several Pulp heroes (linked by the Black Terror to Dynamites MASKS crossover, including the Shadow and Doc Savage)
Doc Savage (linked by a crossover with the Shadow)
Kings Features Characters (linked by Dynamite, includes Flash Gordon and the like)
Malibu Comics (linked by Miss Fury, primarily focused on the Centaur Publications/The Protectors and Men In Black)
Capcom (linked by Malibu Comics through Street Fighter)
The Six Million Dollar Man (linked by both Charlton Comics and Dynamite Entertainment)
Worldscape (linking Tarzan, Red Sonja, Conan, John Carter of Mars, Pathfinder and others)
Valiant Comics (linked via Solar, Turok and Magnus via Dynamite)
Various horror franchises (Lovecraft Mythos, Army of Darkness)
The Dresden Files (linked by Dynamite)
The Rocketeer (linked by Doc Savage, the Shadow and others)
Goldkey Comics (linked via Solar, Turok and Magnus)
Hanna-Barbera Heroes (linked via Goldkey Comics)
Red Circle Comics (linked via The Shadow)
Various Tokusatsu
Milestone Media

There are other Dynamite properties I'm considering including as well, such as Killer Instinct, Stargate, etc.

As you can see, I've got plenty to work with. While this will be solely my project in terms of content, I would welcome suggestions as to other comic universes to add to the setting, as well as questions about it to get me thinking, possible adventure ideas, etc. The history of this world will be something unique, drawing from all of the component settings without being 100% beholden to them. Hopefully this turns out to be fun.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: The Alterna-Verse

Post by Ares »

This space reserved for later
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

This space reserved for later.

RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

I've thought for a while that Chun Li would work well in a superhero universe.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

RainOnTheSun wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:04 am I've thought for a while that Chun Li would work well in a superhero universe.
The Street Fighter setting and characters in general would fit right in with a superhero setting. As pretty much anyone will verify, I'm a huge martial arts fan and generally get annoyed that the only American comics hero with any regular chi/ki power useage is Iron Fist. To me, giving focused martial artists chi techniques allows the really skilled ones to compete against superhumans of all levels, and means that when guys like Batman or Captain America fight said martial artists, it doesn't come off like they're holding back because they don't use their weapons and gear. Said weapons and gear are now a balancing factor for the chi techniques the martial artists use.

Ares
Site Admin

Re: Earth Patriot: An Ares Merged-U Homebrew

Post by Ares »

Also probably doesn't say good things about my setting idea when I completely change its name a day after posting it. :oops:

EnigmaticOne

Post by EnigmaticOne »

I'll give some thoughts and input. This looks like an interesting new version of mashups.
Games
Imago in New Vindicators Academy of Europe
Ken

Post by Ken »

You should include the heroes from the Fox Features (i.e. Victor Fox) comics... Some of them may have been a part of Project Super Powers. But it would give you the post 1947 version of Phantom Lady, the rookie cop version of Dan Garret/Blue Beetle, the Fred Carson Wonder Man, and the Grant Farrell version of Thor.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Ken wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:26 am You should include the heroes from the Fox Features (i.e. Victor Fox) comics... Some of them may have been a part of Project Super Powers. But it would give you the post 1947 version of Phantom Lady, the rookie cop version of Dan Garret/Blue Beetle, the Fred Carson Wonder Man, and the Grant Farrell version of Thor.
Those are included via Project Superpower.

Ares
Site Admin

Re: Earth Liberty: An Ares Merged-U Homebrew

Post by Ares »

Also, went back and re-did the opening post a third time. Hopefully the last time. Sheesh. :oops:

Shock

Post by Shock »

Ares wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:56 am Also, went back and re-did the opening post a third time. Hopefully the last time. Sheesh. :oops:
Iterative design isn't something to be embarrassed about. Almost nobody can slap something together and have it be just the way you want it right away.
Ken

Post by Ken »

I thought Project Superpower had skipped Officer Dan Garret.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Ken wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:45 am I thought Project Superpower had skipped Officer Dan Garret.
They have Dan and Sparky, but they refer to Dan as "Big Blue" for legal reasons. I just choose to use his real name, same way I go with Daredevil rather than 'Devil or Red Devil. Dan's in the blue chainmail and everything.

HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

GET ON WITH IT ARES!
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

HalloweenJack wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:17 pm GET ON WITH IT ARES!
Jeez, sorry, didn't realize I had you waiting in such anticipation. ;)