D&D5e The Golden Wheel Turns (IC thread)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Arkrite

Re: D&D5e The Golden Wheel Turns (IC thread)

Post by Arkrite »

Ector Blagettal
HP: 8/11

"Ah, is some wisdom in approach. But Ector is thinking everything in moderation," He says with a sip of his drink, "Terrible poisons can be powerful medicine in proper dosage. Even Ector's salt could kill if you eat too much."

He chuckles, "Ector is thinking he would be killed first for ruining meal in such a way. Would be a lot of salt!"

The next time Brecca comes by he orders Juice, wine, and some strawberries for the man and his daughter counting their coins, and asks if Brecca can ask if it would be alright for him to speak to them for a moment.

He imagined that a giant orc lumbering over to them when they were counting their money would end poorly. He imagined this from experience.
stavaros_the_arcane

Post by stavaros_the_arcane »

Arkrite wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:02 am Ector Blagettal

"Is sensitive story, has lead to minor schism. Is because nobody is quite sure how it started. Some think that Slog is wanting to be god of libation. Others say was a drinking contest between Slog and the god of alcohol. Some believe that Slog found pure ambrosia or quintessence and sampled it to know how best to cook with it."

Ector looks down at the table and shakes his head sadly, "Has started many bar fights. Is quite sad."

"Only thing known for sure was Slog's followers had magic problems. Ector ask for protective blessing. Ector got snake to face. It was very nice snake, but was a little bitey. All over Slogs followers ask for spells, but spells get bent out of shape. Reality get bent out of shape. And so now we reffer to it as the great bender."

"Also we call excessive drinking in one day as 'going on bender'."
Auld laughs, "Oh Orc stories are always a treat to listen to. Orc deities and their followers aren't as obsessed with appearances as some folk."
EnigmaticOne wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:01 pm Evan Roadbound

"Yes," Evan murmurred, "I am glad I abstain from intoxicants."
Auld scratched his beard. "While not something most folk would do there's certainly wisdom to that. Keeping a clear head helps keep you out of trouble. Of course my Sister-in-law would call you a pansy and several things not fit for polite company, but then selling booze is what keeps her rat-hole of a business running. Part of why I drink here when in town instead of her place."

"If you don't mind my asking is that a personal preference, cultural practice, or something to do with your order?" Auld inquired. "I've heard that plenty of groups of monks and priestly folk take vows to abstain from things depending on their beliefs. We recently got a new head priest for the village shrine while old Father Kaleb is on sabbatical, I remember he mentioned swearing off some type of food when he entered the priesthood although he never did tell me what it was. Although the way he was looking at me when he said it was a mite bit unsettling, he ain't from around here so its probably just culture clash."
Arkrite wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:22 am Ector Blagettal

"Ah, is some wisdom in approach. But Ector is thinking everything in moderation," He says with a sip of his drink, "Terrible poisons can be powerful medicine in proper dosage. Even Ector's salt could kill if you eat too much."

He chuckles, "Ector is thinking he would be killed first for ruining meal in such a way. Would be a lot of salt!"

The next time Brecca comes by he orders Juice, wine, and some strawberries for the man and his daughter counting their coins, and asks if Brecca can ask if it would be alright for him to speak to them for a moment.

He imagined that a giant orc lumbering over to them when they were counting their money would end poorly. He imagined this from experience.
Brecca does as you ask. The man looks rather surprised and little worried as he looks your way. He looks to Auld as the only local at your table, who gives a nod, causing the man to relax a bit. Clearly Farmer MacDonell is a trusted judge of character among the villagers.

The man gestures for you to come over while his daughter beams at you before digging into the treat you ordered them. When you reach the table the man nervously introduces himself as Pascoe the Carter and his young daughter Talwyn.

Talwyn looks at you like you're now her favorite person in the room. "Thanks fer the berries mister orc. They're my favorite!" She takes great interest in looking at your weapons, armor, and other adventuring gear.

"What did you wish to speak with us about sir?" Pascoe asks, still a little nervous.
Psistrike

Post by Psistrike »

Sariel Amastacia

Sariel was digging into the leg of mutton from her order of lunch, washing it down with a sip from her milk. She has to admit this was some good food, though Ector's dishes had more, how to put this, punch to them. "Oh, my godmother didn't intend giving me wild magic as a curse, she gave it to me to save me from some wolves so I could defend myself. When I asked her she said in time I would understand despite its nature that it was a gift, always mysterious way of talking that godmother of mine." Digging back into her food, she kept quiet as Pascoe and his daughter Talwyn came near, wondering what Ector wished to talk to them about.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Ector Blagettal

Ector smiles at the little girl, "Is one of Ector's favorites too. Ector's sister makes strawberry shortcake with whipped cream. Is amazing. But is just one small problem."

"Strawberries get stuck in Ector's teeth,"
He whispers to the girl with a smile.

"Am sorry to be intruding on your celebration, especially as Ector is being... Well, rude," He bows his head, "Is-"

He sighs, "Ector sees you and pretty girl and remembers when Ector helped his Papa work."

"Was good times, but not always easy. Things were learned the hard way because nobody was there to tell us otherwise,"
Ector clasps his hands together on the table, "Ector... he sees you counting money in middle of room and he worries."

"His Papa he had bad experience. He did the same in middle of city, and somebody tried to take it from him,"
Ector shakes his head, "Was silly idea, Ector's Papa is biiiiig orc. Very big. And he thumped the guy for trying."

"But he learned that he was responsible. People who follow him? They jealous of his success. Or greedy. Or just desperate. But they only follow because they see the money, if they not see? They not care about Papa at all."

"Ector apologizes, he is being rude. He doesn't know you, or even village. Maybe it is very safe here, and he is being silly. But he sees you being happy, and he is happy for you, and wants that to continue... and so he worries."

"Is safer to be counting at home. Nobody needs to know how much money you made,"
He pauses then smiles, "Except for little girl of course. She can know. Family is most important, yes?"
stavaros_the_arcane

Psistrike wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:14 am Sariel Amastacia

Sariel was digging into the leg of mutton from her order of lunch, washing it down with a sip from her milk. She has to admit this was some good food, though Ector's dishes had more, how to put this, punch to them. "Oh, my godmother didn't intend giving me wild magic as a curse, she gave it to me to save me from some wolves so I could defend myself. When I asked her she said in time I would understand despite its nature that it was a gift, always mysterious way of talking that godmother of mine." Digging back into her food, she kept quiet as Pascoe and his daughter Talwyn came near, wondering what Ector wished to talk to them about.
Auld scratched his beard. "I don't rightly know much about magic; I leave those matters for mages, priests,and druids to figure out, but folk wisdom says that some gifts, especially magic ones, rarely come without strings attached."

Arkrite wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:48 am Ector Blagettal

Ector smiles at the little girl, "Is one of Ector's favorites too. Ector's sister makes strawberry shortcake with whipped cream. Is amazing. But is just one small problem."

"Strawberries get stuck in Ector's teeth,"
He whispers to the girl with a smile.
Talwyn giggles and smiles back. "Miss Rhona says the same thing."

Arkrite wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:48 am "Am sorry to be intruding on your celebration, especially as Ector is being... Well, rude," He bows his head, "Is-"

He sighs, "Ector sees you and pretty girl and remembers when Ector helped his Papa work."

"Was good times, but not always easy. Things were learned the hard way because nobody was there to tell us otherwise,"
Ector clasps his hands together on the table, "Ector... he sees you counting money in middle of room and he worries."

"His Papa he had bad experience. He did the same in middle of city, and somebody tried to take it from him,"
Ector shakes his head, "Was silly idea, Ector's Papa is biiiiig orc. Very big. And he thumped the guy for trying."

"But he learned that he was responsible. People who follow him? They jealous of his success. Or greedy. Or just desperate. But they only follow because they see the money, if they not see? They not care about Papa at all."

"Ector apologizes, he is being rude. He doesn't know you, or even village. Maybe it is very safe here, and he is being silly. But he sees you being happy, and he is happy for you, and wants that to continue... and so he worries."

"Is safer to be counting at home. Nobody needs to know how much money you made,"
He pauses then smiles, "Except for little girl of course. She can know. Family is most important, yes?"

Pascoe considers your point. "There's much wisdom in what you say, and you wouldn't be the first to suggest it to me. The coin count is really just Talwyn and my little ritual after a job well done, the count itself isn't that important and can wait. My work as a carter is good honest work but I never expect to get rich by it, so normally I don't worry since what I earn is hardly enough to be worth stealing. Plus most of the folk at the Green Dragon are ones I've known and trust for years. But between some of the disturbing rumors that I've been hearing in nearby towns and the news of that caravan attack today, some extra caution would not go amiss. Thank you for the thought, as I doubt I would fare nearly as well if I tried to thump someone who wished to rob me."
EnigmaticOne

Post by EnigmaticOne »

Evan Roadbound
Auld scratched his beard. "While not something most folk would do there's certainly wisdom to that. Keeping a clear head helps keep you out of trouble. Of course my Sister-in-law would call you a pansy and several things not fit for polite company, but then selling booze is what keeps her rat-hole of a business running. Part of why I drink here when in town instead of her place."

"If you don't mind my asking is that a personal preference, cultural practice, or something to do with your order?" Auld inquired. "I've heard that plenty of groups of monks and priestly folk take vows to abstain from things depending on their beliefs. We recently got a new head priest for the village shrine while old Father Kaleb is on sabbatical, I remember he mentioned swearing off some type of food when he entered the priesthood although he never did tell me what it was. Although the way he was looking at me when he said it was a mite bit unsettling, he ain't from around here so its probably just culture clash."
"It is expected of those who follow our way to take a vow, representing our renunciation of temptations and refrain from excessive and abusive influence on this world. Common vows are for celibacy, poverty or the forgoing of intoxicants like I have."
Games
Imago in New Vindicators Academy of Europe
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Ector Blagettal

"Is always better to avoid fight if possible. But Ector is bad person to be saying this, he works for caravan that was attacked," Ector looks sheepish, "Is strange double standard for caravan guard to suggest against fighting, yes?"

He shakes his head and chuckles.
Ysariel

Post by Ysariel »

Célestina (Tina)

Tina smiles and raises her tankard, returning the toast. For a while there, she had suspected some deeper, sinister plot, especially after talk of sorcerers and goblin tribes and desecrated tombs. It came almost as a relief to know it was just good old distrust of outsiders.

She nods solemnly at Ector's explanation of this strange god and his worship. This much at least she can sympathize with: every faith had its share of schisms over issues that, while of fundamental importance to the theology, could sometimes seem very detached and inconsequential to laity. Even Luminaria's faith had been rocked by debates over such issues as to whether the frequently adulterous relationships of courtly romance exalted love or debased it.
stavaros_the_arcane wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:23 pm Auld scratched his beard. "I don't rightly know much about magic; I leave those matters for mages, priests,and druids to figure out, but folk wisdom says that some gifts, especially magic ones, rarely come without strings attached."
"You speak true. Sariel has discovered many of them, no doubt." She was trying not to mention more about the unpredictability of her wild magic within anyone's earshot than absolutely necessary. If folk tales from Talestria were at all representative, Tina did not think the villagers would be very enthusiastic to learn that Sariel could just as easily light a fire as she could burn down the inn. One really had to wonder what was the point of bestowing such a double-edged sword as a means to defend oneself. Would a trusty dagger not suffice?

Then again, even a knife had a sharp edge to nick one's thumb on.
Arkrite wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:30 am "Is always better to avoid fight if possible. But Ector is bad person to be saying this, he works for caravan that was attacked," Ector looks sheepish, "Is strange double standard for caravan guard to suggest against fighting, yes?"
"Hardly," Tina says. "The most effective guards deter fighting merely by their presence. There is a saying in Talestria: 'good generals defeat their foes on the field; great generals have enemies who dare not march against them.'"

Inevitably, the food and drink are conveyed to empty bellies and the flame of conversation dies down to warm embers. Tina begs leave at last. "I will see you tomorrow by the markets, if you still wish to come visit Lady Una and investigate the tomb," she says to her fellow caravan-guards-turned-acquaintances, then smiles. "Rest well in the light of the Lady."
stavaros_the_arcane

EnigmaticOne wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:30 pm Evan Roadbound

"It is expected of those who follow our way to take a vow, representing our renunciation of temptations and refrain from excessive and abusive influence on this world. Common vows are for celibacy, poverty or the forgoing of intoxicants like I have."
Auld gives a nod."Its good they let you choose what you give up for yourself. A sacrifice doesn't mean nearly as much when someone else is pressing it on you."
Ysariel wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:52 pm
Arkrite wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:30 am "Is always better to avoid fight if possible. But Ector is bad person to be saying this, he works for caravan that was attacked," Ector looks sheepish, "Is strange double standard for caravan guard to suggest against fighting, yes?"
"Hardly," Tina says. "The most effective guards deter fighting merely by their presence. There is a saying in Talestria: 'good generals defeat their foes on the field; great generals have enemies who dare not march against them.'"
Pascoe nods his agreement to Celestina. "There are plenty of folks; guards, soldiers, all sorts of fighting professions, that prefer to avoid unnecessary fights. Ask Auld, I've heard he was a soldier once before he took up farming, so back before my grandpappy's time."

Auld laughs at the jab at his age. "Long ago by human standards, I was barely out of my first century. I did a tour of service as part of my old country's army as was the style for young elves at the time. Fortunately there weren't any wars going on so I was stuck on a border outpost mostly dealing with seasonal raiders and the odd bandit activity. Frankly the only thing worse than the food and living conditions was the actual fighting. No great battles or grand causes, just a bunch of soldiers being cold and miserable across the border from another bunch of soldiers being cold and miserable under a different banner. As soon as my tour was up I left home to try and find a profession I liked better, after a lot of wandering I eventually found it here. I am more than happy to leave my old sword at home in its sheath on the mantle."
Ysariel wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:52 pm Inevitably, the food and drink are conveyed to empty bellies and the flame of conversation dies down to warm embers. Tina begs leave at last. "I will see you tomorrow by the markets, if you still wish to come visit Lady Una and investigate the tomb," she says to her fellow caravan-guards-turned-acquaintances, then smiles. "Rest well in the light of the Lady."

(Unless anyone has anything specific they want to do I'm going to jump ahead to the next day.)

The Generosity and good manners of your group has eased the worries of even the most skittish of towns folk, they seem to treat you as welcome visitors. The Good Knight Inn where your caravan has rooms reserved is directly across the street from the Green Dragon Tavern so you don't have to go far once your meals are complete.

The Good Knight Inn is run by a dwarven couple, Lavern and Troy. Lavern greets you as you enter, her long brown hair and beard done in elaborate braids. She gives you the keys to your rooms and calls her husband to show you to them. Troy is the most impeccably close-shaven dwarf you have ever seen, he leads you to your rooms which are all along the same hallway. If you desire hot water can be brought up so you can bathe, and after weeks on the road being able to sleep in a proper bed is a blessing.

-----------------------
The next morning you awaken refreshed and relaxed, ready to face the day. (OOC:That was a long rest so all spells/abilities/hit-dice are restored.)
After your morning preparation you meet up and prepare to head to the edge of the village where 'Auntie Una' has her cottage.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Ector Blagettal
HP: 11/11

Ector walked up to the others eating what appears to be a roasted apple on a stick.
His armor has been cleaned, and he smells much better than he did yesterday.

To be fair the large orc was quite aware of hygiene and tried to bathe regularly, but on the road one could only do so much.

"Ah, is good morning for a trip, yes? Fear not, Ector is bringing sandwiches and tea," He looks wistfully into the distance, "Would prefer a nice roast chicken, but on trip like this is best to be prepared than be hungry."
Ysariel

Post by Ysariel »

Célestina (Tina)

With Pascoe and Auld's conversation lingering in her drowsy mind, the soft bed and hot water lull her swiftly into sleep. Into dreams. Strange, fitful dreams.

She dreams she sees two figures, male and female, at the threshold, silhouetted against the light beyond. "We are going on Crusade," her mother says. "Against the evil of the Khalifat and their Djinn masters."

"Whether or not we return, remember that we always love you," her father adds.

"Don't go," she cries, in a child's voice she herself does not recognize. "Don't! Not both of you!"

They vanish into the light. She stirs in her sleep, tosses and turns.

She dreams she meets him at the Diamond Stairs. She is clad in diaphanous lace and escorted by lady knights, a bouquet of white roses in her hands. He is clad in a prince's scarlet cape, silk doublet and breeches, smiling down from his snow-white destrier.

"I knew you were the one," Tina says as he dismounts and kisses her hand, and she drowns in his bright blue eyes. "All my years on Crusade, I never forgot you."

"And I knew you were the one," he answers. "I could never have acknowledged it in life, but in my heart I knew."

"In life?" she starts. "I'm dead?"

An inquisitive quirk of the eyebrow. "Of course. You died on your quest, remember? You never made it to Tychestoile. Isn't that what you wished for when you left the convent?"

"No. No!" She backs off, down the stairs, dropping the bouquet. "I can't die. I have a caravan to escort. Sariel? Ector! Evans! Where are you?"

She slips, falls. Off the stairs and its infinite steps, down into the cloudy, fathomless depths below.

She wakes in a cold sweat, very relieved to be still alive, and sleeps in fits and starts until dawn breaks.

Tina, already waiting at the common room with her sword and shield ready, nods at Ector as he arrives, munching on his roasted apple. She is very relieved that Ector at least has come; stout companions on the road are a blessing especially when heading into potentially hostile goblin lands. "Yes. I'm glad we still have the option of pressing you into service as impromptu cook," she finishes with a smile.

Tina waits another quarter of an hour after dawn breaks for anyone else who wishes to go. Then, interruptions aside, she heads for Una's cottage at the town's edge.

OOC

Unless something happens along the way, Tina is going to just walk up to the cottage door and knock on it.
Psistrike

Post by Psistrike »

Sariel Amastacia

Waking up in the morning, after a quick stretch and look in the mirror she couldn't believe she had a pair of rabbit ears on her head...again. Sleep casting, she hasn't done that in over a decade, what had triggered it? The hope of finally finding something out about the Sidhe from 'Auntie Una', yet the fear it would be all for naught once more. Of course, it could have been that snack of blackberries and cheddar right before going to sleep too.

Showing up outside the inn, ready to head to Una's cottage. And noticeably wearing a simple blue cotton hat on her head, designed to hide the rabbit ears. "Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work we go. Arrggh! Godmother, you know I hate it when you just pop in and plant things in my mind. And who is this Snow White you speak of? I don't need this today."
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Ector Blagettal
HP: 11/11

Ector gives Sariel a funny look as the elf converses with herself then leans over to Celestina and whispers, "Is normal?"
EnigmaticOne

Post by EnigmaticOne »

Evan Roadbound

"Perhaps it depends on whom this Godmother is."
Games
Imago in New Vindicators Academy of Europe
stavaros_the_arcane

With your group assembled you head to the very edge of the village where you were told Una's cottage is. Its honestly difficult to say whether this cottage is still technically in the village to be honest as you have to go a short ways into the actual surrounding forest before you find it.

The cottage somehow looks both cozy and ramshackle: It was a very tall one floored structure with the outside made of miss-matched wood, with some of it overgrown with plant life. At least one tree seems to have grown into the building itself. The whole thing gave off a very mysterious yet welcoming vibe.

Shortly after you knock on the very large door, its pulled open by what appears to be a humanoid mass of plant matter. It stares at you for a moment before opening the door and beckoning you inside.

A kindly female voice calls from inside, "Don't mind Twiggy, they don't speak much. I'd greet you at the door but you caught me in the middle of something. Make yourselves comfortable and I'll be with you in a minute."

The interior of the cottage is quite cozy and comfortably decorated, the front room is filled with hand made furniture sized for a variety of creatures of various sizes. Although one big comfy chair is currently occupied by the resting form of the largest raccoon you've ever seen. It looks at you briefly before returning to napping.

A short time later the owner of the cottage joins you in the front room. The first impression you get of her is that she is large, taller than even Ector with a stocky build. She wears a long homespun dress of earthy tones. As she smiles at you four you take in her greyish skin, wide nose, and long, broad ears poking out of her shoulder length brown hair.

"Sorry for the wait, I've fallen behind on making remedies for the village and wanted to catch up on my backlog before I had to go out into the woods again. Its nice to see some new faces, most people who pass by get too nervous to pay a visit to an old lady who lives in the woods. I'm Una,please call me Auntie Una if you'd care too. I've been around this village so long I consider the people here family. How can I help you?"
Last edited by stavaros_the_arcane on Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.