Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Jab's Builds! (Kida! Kuzco! Kronk! Yzma! Treasure Planet!)

Post by Ares »

HalloweenJack wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:03 pm Nice. I'd like to shoot the shit with that guy about movies. and Spoony if we can dig him up
Yeah, I miss the Spoony One. His Counter Monkey videos kept my interest in RPGs going when it was a waning interest in my life, but all he seems to do these days is post on Twitter. Which I can't imagine he gets paid for. Would love to just hang out with the guy and chat tho. Of the Channel Awesome staff, it was basically him, Linkara and the Cinema Snob that I watched regularly.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Kenai

Post by Jabroniville »

KENAI
Played by:
Joaquin Phoenix
Role: Immature Kid Who Learns a Lesson
PL 6 (49)
STRENGTH
4 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Athletics 2 (+6)
Expertise (Survival) 2 (+2)
Intimidation 2 (+3)
Perception 2 (+2)

Advantages:
None

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 4 (Acute & Extended Scent, Low-Light Vision, Scent-Tracking) [4]
Speed 1 (4 mph) [1]
"Natural Weapons- Claws & Teeth" Strength-Damage +1 [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +5 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +3 (DC 13), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness +5, Fortitude +5, Will +3

Complications:
Responsibility (Learning a Lesson)- In killing a bear, Kenai has committed a great crime, and must atone while in the form of a brown bear.
Relationship (Brothers)- Kenai lost his oldest brother during an attack on a bear, and his other brother hunts him now that HE is a bear. He also "adopts" young Koda, and must guide him through life now that his mother is gone.

Total: Abilities: 36 / Skills: 8--4 / Advantages: 0 / Powers: 6 / Defenses: 3 (49)

-Kenai was the worst bear ever. He's barely able to take on a regular guy with a SPEAR, and actually gets outwrestled at points. HE'S A BEAR!!

About the Performer: Joaquin Phoenix is a famous actor and general weirdo who does great work, but is from an annoying family of goofs, and so turns off people with “performance” stuff like “I’m gonna be a rapper now”. He was very good as Johnny Cash, which proved the Academy will always reward the Best Imitation come awards season :). Hollywood has loved him since his youth, and was only too happy to push him in the 2000s when his stuff started doing well. However, his mockumentary rap thing bombed, leading to an exile for a few years, and then a series of critically beloved bombs derailed him once more. He’s set to play The Joker for DC’s disastrous film universe in 2019, so we’ll see if he can manage a comeback (though he seems more artsy and “doing it for the work” so I doubt he cares).
Jabroniville

Home on the Range

Post by Jabroniville »

HOME ON THE RANGE (2004):
Written by:
Will Finn, John Sanford, Michael LaBash, Sam Levine, Mark Kennedy & Robert Lence

-One of the most forgotten Disney Canon films of all time, this one nearly led to the death of an art form. Seriously, it's Roseanne playing a cow (in the movie, too!) who leads other cows in attempting to save their farm by... capturing a bad guy who has a reward on his head. THIS IDEA CAME FROM THE SAME STUDIO THAT MADE SLEEPING BEAUTY. This is like an idea that would pop into the third-tier story of an Archie Comic ("let's save the Chock'lit Shoppe by winning the reward money!"), not a multi-million dollar animated film. The ugly-ass art style and the country music were just icing on the cake- the country music that's popular THESE days is virtually indistinguishable from Pop Rock and features scrawny young blondes singing about break-ups, not cows singing about Western crap. Okay, so I'm judging the movie without seeing it... so did everyone else, which is why it bombed.

The movie has one of those fabulously stupid origin stories that consists of changing the entire theme of the movie numerous times (it started out as a movie about an Undead Cattle Hustler versus a timid cowboy, then featured a little bull named "Bullets")- in 1999, when the project had fallen apart, Michael LaBash came up with the "bounty hunters" idea to make sure all the character design didn't go to waste. Because, you know, THAT'S why you create a movie. To not waste all the drawings.

The movie is actually mostly staffed by has-beens. Roseanne was WAY out of her Roseanne peak at the time when she played the main character. Judi Dench has credibility of course, but is no box-office all-star. Jennifer Tilly & Cuba Gooding Jr. were both more known for 1990s performances, and were both done as stars by this point, too. Randy Quaid, the yodeling bad guy, wasn't terribly huge, either.

Reception & Cultural Impact:
-This one almost NOBODY saw, and it's seen as the film that nearly killed all of Traditionally Animated Films PERIOD, such was its death at the box office. It was a dramatic box office failure, not making back its budget (a nearly-unthinkable situation following the Renaissance). The critics' reviews were basically 50/50 as well- a big failing for Disney. It was mostly seen as "funny enough, but childish", though some liked that they didn't bother to put in any big lessons (you know... EMOTIONS) into the thing.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

So yes, now we enter the era I was dreading most- the years of uninteresting movies. Not really much to talk about, so I’ll plant one of my Disney rants in this bit as well :).
Jabroniville

Disney & Outsiders

Post by Jabroniville »

The thing with the Elsa/Herc comparisons is that Disney does the whole "Outsider" thing a LOT. I posted this bit with my Disney builds last time:

DISNEY AND OUTSIDERS:

Along with the "Always Wanting More" thing, Disney tends to focus a lot on Outsider characters. A lot of fiction does, naturally- it creates a lot of inherent sympathy with the audience (girls often deal with school politics, and boys with regimented tiers of power in school; even adults have to deal with it), and immediately justifies a lot of the characters' actions, but Disney often puts extreme focus on it. Disney also uses it to justify their characters and give them motivation- people often care little for a generic "I want MORE" Princess if her life is already pretty great- by making sure the characters are down on their luck from the beginning, it means more when they make good (Cinderella) or make friends as the films go on. Of course, "Wanting MORE" is really just what most characters have as Motivation- without Motivation, you have little character. Not a lot of movies get made about characters who are perfectly satisfied with what they're doing.

Looking at their roster of films, I can see the following:
Pinocchio
Dumbo (BIG-TIME here- he's relentlessly mocked for his appearance)
Cinderella (one of the more sympathetic female characters- with dead parents and being treated like a slave in a more "down to Earth" story, yet)
The Jungle Book (sort of- Mowgli is the only Man in the jungle)
The Sword in the Stone (Wart is an orphan)
Robin Hood (has a ton of friends, but is an outlaw)
The Rescuers (the human girl is an orphan)
The Fox and the Hound (Tod, naturally, is a hunted "threat", and soon becomes an outsider to his best friend)
Oliver & Company (basically a band of pickpockets)

This is it for the "Pre-Renaissance" stuff- it's not as notable in the prior era, usually focusing on people with other motivations. BUT...

The Little Mermaid (Ariel sees nothing she likes about her own mer-society)
Beauty and the Beast (Belle is an outsider beacuse she's so nerdy, bookish and aloof- The Beast is basically a forced outsider because he's A) a douche, and B) a literal monster)
Aladdin (a street rat)
Pocahontas (has nothing in common with her tribe, really)
The Hunchback of Notre Dame (like The Beast, Quasimodo is trapped because of his appearance)
Hercules (they tacked on an unnecessary "Gawky High School Dork" phase just because of this, I think)
Mulan (a failure in her own culture's ideals of womanhood)
Tarzan (his own "father" disregards him, keeping him an outsider even though the others accept him)

Later films (haven't seen all of them, so I might be missing some):
Brother Bear (the dude becomes a bear and is thus hunted)
The Princess and the Frog (Tiana is poor and black, and then turned into an animal; the Prince is in exile)
Lilo & Stitch (a poor pair of sisters, and an outlaw Alien)
Tangled (another locked-up victim, plus an outlaw who desperately hides his true self)
Wreck-It Ralph (distrusted for who he is)
Frozen (Both are basically locked-up against their wills like Rapunzel, but Anna is basically that plus an EXTRA tonnage of pathos)

The only Renaissance films I can find without this as a MAJOR aspect of the film are "The Rescuers Down Under" (and even then, Bernard is kind of a schmuck who is treated like a butt-monkey until the end), and "The Lion King" (Simba is exiled, but only for a bit, and spends the entirety of the film with friends anyways). It's least-seen in "Pocahontas" otherwise, and coincidentally, that's also the Renaissance film most crapped-upon. Funny, that. So I think it's pretty notable that Disney's been amping that one ever since Ariel made her on-screen debut, considering the Post-Ren movies based around Outsiders almost outnumber the Pre-Ren ones.

Even modern cartoons do the same sort of thing- "How To Train Your Dragon" and "Kung-Fu Panda" both started off with unliked, semi-useless protagonists who later made good and became the best. So "Frozen" is really just the culmination of what a lot of cartoons- namely Disney ones- have been doing. And Elsa may possibly be the MOST sympathetic, outsider-y character of them all. Cinderella is a close rival (dead parents; shut out from everyone), but is generally MUCH happier despite everything. Elsa is like raw, concentrated pathos in human (or... *sigh* GODDESS...) form.

----

There are other Herc/Elsa comparisons too. Both are from movies where a more-interesting secondary protagonist outshines the hero in terms of character and style (Megara to Herc, Elsa to Anna), and where that character is played by a Broadway star with killer pipes (Susan Egen, Idina Menzel). Both naturally feature a herbivorous quadruped who of course acts super-intelligent, but that's an omnipresent Disney Trope at times. Of course, I found Hercules to be a fairly middle-of-the-road movie with a ton of flaws, saved only by Meg and Hades.
Jabroniville

Chicken Little

Post by Jabroniville »

CHICKEN LITTLE (2005):
Written by:
Steve Bencich, Ron J. Friedman, Ron Anderson, Mark Dindal (director) & Mark Kennedy

-One of the most universally-reviled Animated Canon pictures of all time, this one was named after a propaganda cartoon made during World War II. It's about Chicken Little, who becomes a laughing stock after telling everyone "The sky is falling!", but only really wants to make his father proud of him. And it turns out the "sky" is actually a UFO, and now he and his friends have to fight off an alien invasion, because of course they do. But then it turns out the aliens are only "vaporizing" people because they're looking for their lost child, and Chicken Little saves the day, being hailed as a hero while his father learns to appreciate him. That's it- that's the whole story.

The movie featured COUNTLESS re-writes, as various executives popped in to give advice. Almost every character switched genders during the production phase, resulting in re-casting out the wazoo (Holly Hunter, Sean Hayes and others were replaced), in a film that more or less openly mimics the then-popular "DreamWorks Style", making Disney look like a bunch of wannabes attempting the edgy, mean, "Random Humor" so popular at the rival studio. As you might imagine, the "Development Hell" phase was not conducive to a great movie, nor was aping a studio that was falling into a backlash of its own. A subplot of Foxy Loxy- an arrogant, athletic tomboy bully- getting "mind raped" into being a docile Southern Belle, which all the other characters see as an improvement, is also controversial as you might expect.

I refused to see this during my first set of Disney Builds. It looked like a piece of crap, and I didn't really have time to watch literally EVERYTHING. It just seemed really dumb. It features Zach Braff of Scrubs as the main character (post-Garden State and before people got sick of anything featuring him that wasn't Scrubs), Joan Cusack, and a few others.

-Surprisingly, the movie actually did pretty well ($314 million worldwide), though was FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR below Disney's '90s output and what would come in the future- it was notable that this was during the time when Pixar was humiliating Disney at every turn, creating outstanding critical and box office successes. This was a CGI film in an era where they were GUARANTEED to earn a profit- it made about the same amount that Bolt did four years later, despite one being MUCH more well-received amongst critics and audiences). Despite that, however, the movie was despised by pretty much everybody, with the "DreamWorks Style" now falling into disuse (DW ended up mimicking Disney's more family-friendly, less-cruel take on comedy as well). Read one review here. It is the lowest-rated of the entire Animated Canon, sitting at below 50% on most review aggregator sites.

It is perhaps most notable for being the final Disney film released before Disney officially merged with Pixar, and John Lasseter took over the entirety of the animation wing. A sequel was planned due to its box office success, but Lasseter axed all sequels immediately upon his ascension, realizing that they were damaging the Disney Brand. The movie's status as the bridge between eras means that Chicken Little is basically the bastard child of the franchise, and is effectively ignored completely in retrospectives, and has no impact on the merchandise or Parks as a whole.
Jabroniville

Meet the Robinsons

Post by Jabroniville »

MEET THE ROBINSONS (2007):
Written by:
William Joyce (original book), Jon A. Bernstein, Michelle Spritz, Don Hall, Nathan Greno, Aurion Redson, Joe Mateo & Stephen Anderson

This looked like YET ANOTHER CGI FAMILY COMEDY in a decade filled to the freaking BRIM with them, so I never got around to seeing it. Seriously, once Pixar made its money, there was a never-ending stream of movies with the same general design (super-exaggerated characters) and same approach to advertising and audiences (throw some pop culture humour for the adults and make it a kewl-looking CGI cartoon for the kids). It seemed to do okay, but like I said, the sheer GLUT of these films in the exact same era basically ensured that this film would be forgotten to history forever- who could possibly remember ONE CGI film out of the dozens that came around it?

This feature is based off of A Day With Wilbur Robinson, a 1990 picture-book by William Joyce, which is definitely an odd choice. It's about a boy who visits a friend and discovers his bizarre, oddball family. In the movie, the orphaned boy Lewis gets Wilbur Robinson to take him to the future, along with a robotic bowler hat. Some Time Travel shenanigans are afoot, involving people discovering familial relations, and the hat turns out to be evil.

The movie was the first one produced under John Lasseter's run as head of Disney Animation, but he didn't have as much to do with it, given the timing. He did declare that the villain wasn't scary enough, and had 60% of the movie scrapped and started over, though.

-The movie only did okay with reviewers, and wasn't very successful, making only $170 million worldwide (about half of Chicken Little's take). Given that Lasseter was only partway involved, it was basically dumped and ignored forever, as Disney Animation took a whole new tack from then on.
Woodclaw

Re: Jab's Builds! (Kida! Kuzco! Kronk! Yzma! Treasure Planet! Brother Bear!)

Post by Woodclaw »

Treasure Planet is for me a massive case of Doom Patrol Popularity, there are a number of super hardcore fans of that movie and they would defend it to their last breath.
For me, I think it was a good effort, but the problem is that (like a ton many other maligned works) it just missed something from the audience expectations. Also, Disney already has a really excellent rendition of Treasure Island, which everyone that ever evn remotely liked pirates should be familiar with.

"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Jabroniville

Enchanted

Post by Jabroniville »

ENCHANTED (2007):
Written by:
Bill Kelly & Ron Howard (yes, that one)
-This one's a bit funny, in that it's a cutesy parody of Princess Movies... that basically also plays them straight, to the point where it actually revolutionized and restarted the entire Disney Princess genre! Some of the gags are pretty good, and there's some WONDERFUL over-acting from Jason Marsden & Susan Sarandon (who is looking way too good to be as old as she is). The chipmunk and his funny pantomimes ruled, as is the time where he LITERALLY CRAPPED HIMSELF WITH FEAR. Then Amy Adams leads Central Park in song, and uses her "Princess Singing Voice" to communicate with New York's vermin to clean an apartment . The love story is a bit "he dislikes her/then he suddenly realizes that this Manic Pixie Dream Girl is his ideal!", but since the whole movie is a parody example, it works.

There is some FANTASTIC acting in the final sequence, when Giselle and Robert arrive at the big dance. You can see in there eyes that they have fallen in love with each other, with Robert being serious and pained, but Giselle is basically beside herself (since she has to go back with Prince Edward). And then Edward & Nancy arrive, cutting in on the dancing. Edward is clueless, but aware that Giselle is upset over something and thus concerned. And NANCY... well, she just gives her fiancee this "Dude, WTF?" look that could chill a soul before dancing with him. And then... they share a kiss, at which point Nancy's face just becomes "ahh... SHIT." because she realizes he's lost to her. I mean, the dialogue is sparse and unnecessary- pure facial reactions and body language pull off this scene perfectly.

And heck, the final sequence has Amy Adams, Idina "Elphaba" Menzel & Susan Sarandon all in sexy dresses. What's not to love? Then it actually sticks my beloved Idina in animated form, and WOW does she ever look beautiful that way! Actually, I liked the animated bits much more than everything else, because it reflects how far animation's come, and I dig the style more than anything. The outlines of the characters are a little flesh-toned, though, making it look weird compared to anything older (which usually uses thick black lines).

Fun Fact: Various Disney Princesses appear throughout, usually with an audio motif from their trademark film. Jodi Benson appears as Robert's assistant, with Part of Your World playing as Giselle drinks some water and spits out a fish. Paige O'Hara is an actress on a bad soap opera as Beauty and the Beast plays. Judy Kuhn, singing voice of Pocahontas, simply tells Prince Edward "you're too LATE" while looking over her three children. I'm curious as to whether or not I noticed this the first time I saw the film, as it's pretty obvious now.

-The movie did super, SUPER well, and I can see how this movie basically made Amy Adams' career (it's got to be hard to play the super-innocent sweetheart without making her come across as an annoying Mary Sue/Princess). Tragically, despite literally becoming a Princess at the finale, Idina Menzel's character does not get included in the "Disney Princesses" line (lol, I first wrote that before one LITERALLY became a Disney Princess). And in fact, Amy's Giselle never actually counts as a Princess either, despite fitting most of the tropes. Granted, using either of them would involve paying the actresses for their likenesses, since real people have rights that artists & voice actors do not. There were rumors of a sequel in development, but as Amy Adams says, "none of us are getting any younger", so I wouldn't bet on it... though apparently Disenchanted has recently moved out of Development Hell, so who knows? Given that Disney's now sitting on the VA of their most-toyetic character ever in the world of Enchanted, I can see some reasoning for trying to go back to the well.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

Ares wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:15 pm
HalloweenJack wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:03 pm Nice. I'd like to shoot the shit with that guy about movies. and Spoony if we can dig him up
Yeah, I miss the Spoony One. His Counter Monkey videos kept my interest in RPGs going when it was a waning interest in my life, but all he seems to do these days is post on Twitter. Which I can't imagine he gets paid for. Would love to just hang out with the guy and chat tho. Of the Channel Awesome staff, it was basically him, Linkara and the Cinema Snob that I watched regularly.
I heard that. I occasionally watch the Critic, but not like I used to. Linkara is someone I watch off and on, but the Snob and Spoony are my boys

edit: also brandon tenold
Last edited by HalloweenJack on Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Giselle

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImage

GISELLE
Played by:
Amy Adams
Role: Disney Princess (sorta), Fish Out of Water
PL 4 (56)
STRENGTH
0 STAMINA 0 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 0 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Athletics 1 (+1)
Expertise (Peasant Girl) 2 (+3)
Expertise (Singing & Dancing) 6 (+10)
Expertise (Fashion) 10 (+10)
Persuasion 5 (+9)

Advantages:
Attractive 2

Powers:
"Disney Princess" Comprehend 2 (Speak To & Understand Animals) [4]
Quickness 2 (Flaws: Limited to Fashioning Dresses) [1]

"Summon Animals" Affliction 3 (Will; Entranced/Compelled/Controlled) (Extras: Area- 1 mile Burst +9) (Flaws: Limited to Animals, Limited to Command- "Come Here!" -2) (18) -- [19]
"Crowd Sing-Along" Affliction 4 (Will; Entranced/Compelled/Controlled) (Extras: 500ft. Burst +5) (Flaws: Limited to Singing & Dancing, Limited to Giselle's Own Songs) (12)

Offense:
Unarmed +0 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
Summon +3 Area (+3 Affliction, DC 13)
Crowd Sing-Along +4 Area (+4 Affliction, DC 14)
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +1 (DC 11), Parry +0 (DC 10), Toughness +0, Fortitude +1, Will +6

Complications:
Responsibility (Fish Out Of Water)- Giselle comes from Andalasia, a magical land where the rules are much different. She has little concept of modern technology, and has no understanding of cynicism. Her upbeat personality comes across as odd.
Relationship (Prince Edward)- It's "love at first sight" for Giselle and her "True Love", though this is more due to perceived fate than anything else, and they do not TRULY love one another.
Relationship (Robert)- The grouchy, cynical Robert takes care of Giselle, and she finds herself growing attached to him as she tries to teach him about silly things like enjoying life.

Total: Abilities: 12 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 24 / Defenses: 6 (56)

-Giselle is your archetypical Princess (despite never attaining royalty), to the point of parody- she's more innocent and good-natured than ANY real Princess (even Cinderella & Snow White could be bossy and sarcastic), always talks about true love, and has Honest-To-God SUPER-POWERS revolving around her Animal Friends, summoning them with a few little notes. This role would be unimaginably hard to play (probably MUCH more than a simple drama character- as some "in the know" have stated, comedy is MUCH harder than drama), so good on Amy Adams for her ability here.

About the Performer: Amy Adams is probably the only woman ever who could play a LIVE DISNEY PRINCESS and feel “right”- only she has the right combination of likability, beauty (but CUTE, round-faced beauty, not predatory, sexy beauty), acting ability, and guileless simplicity to handle it. Anyone else would come off too impure, too cynical, or too sexy. She basically looks like the girls next door Nd the girl every mother dreams about for her son. That she had the acting ability to match (FIVE Oscar nominations, usually for “the wife” in a big drama) is what’ll keep her getting work for the next twenty years.

-Adams was kinda new when this came out, and she’s only gained in credibility since. With the art films (and mandatory nude scenes that accompany them), she’s got critical acclaim as well. While she doesn't get “Big-Time” stuff like the Hathaway’s & Lawrence’s, she’s arguably gonna have a longer, stronger career. A-List females tend to get too old, or get too big a backlash. Who could ever backlash against Amy Adams? She’s just too adorbz.

PIP THE CHIPMUNK
Played By:
Jeff Bennett
Role: Animal Sidekick Parody
PL 1 (40)
STRENGTH
-4 STAMINA -3 AGILITY -2
FIGHTING -2 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Athletics 9 (+5)
Close Combat (Bite) 2 (+4)
Expertise (Survival) 4 (+6)
Perception 3 (+5)

Advantages:
Close Attack 5, Improved Initiative

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 3 (Acute & Extended Scent, Low-Light Vision) [3]
"Natural Weapons- Teeth" Strength-Damage +1 [1]

"Small Size" Shrinking 12 (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [25]
(-3 Strength, -1 Speed, +6 Defenses, +12 Stealth, -6 Intimidation)

Offense:
Unarmed +3 (-4 Damage, DC 11)
Bite +5 (-3 Damage, DC 12)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness -3, Fortitude +0, Will +6

Complications:
Weakness (Small Size)- At their natural size, Chipmunks are vulnerable to large creatures- even without good accuracy. Anything of Size Rank -2 or more (human size and up) using a melee attack on a Chipmunk effectively strike with Burst Area Damage at their strength rank naturally.
Relationship (Giselle)- Pip is devoted to helping Giselle, and ventures into the Real World to save her.
Disabled (Animal)- Chipmunks cannot speak to normal humans in the Real World.

Total: Abilities: -10 / Skills: 18--9 / Advantages: 6 / Powers: 29 / Defenses: 6 (40)

-Pip is Giselle's "Animal Sidekick" character, and turns from a cartoon into a mute CGI Chipmunk in the movie, generally trying to get her attention while being attacked by Queen Narissa's minion. One of the best scenes in the movie features him pantomiming Narissa and Giselle's interactions as the hag & Princess ("IS GOOD..." "Mmm- OK!")
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Robert Phillip

Post by Jabroniville »

ROBERT PHILLIP
Played by:
Patrick Dempsey
Role: Cynical New Yorker
PL 2 (32), PL 3 (32) Defenses
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 0 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Expertise (Lawyer) 6 (+9)
Expertise (Singing & Dancing) 2 (+4)
Insight 2 (+4)
Perception 2 (+4)
Persuasion 2 (+4)

Advantages:
None

Offense:
Unarmed +0 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +1 (DC 11), Parry +1 (DC 11), Toughness +2, Fortitude +2, Will +4

Complications:
Responsibility (Melancholy)- Robert's divorce from his first wife has him refusing to believe in "True Love", and leaves him rather cynical.
Relationship (Nancy Tremaine)- Robert is engaged to Nancy, but his thoughts about love leave him rather... "blah" about the whole thing.
Relationship (Giselle)- This weird new girl in his life is forcing Robert to open up in ways new to him.

Total: Abilities: 22 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 0 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 3 (32)

-Robert Phillip (named for Prince Phillip, naturally) is the cynical New Yorker who has to be brought out of his shell- the natural counterpoint to Amy Adams's Literal Disney Princess character. Of course his stuffy ass has to be made to see the beauty of life by her ethereal kindness.

-Lest anyone slay me for not giving someone played by PATRICK DEMPSEY the Attractive Advantage (though personally, I'm rotten at telling if some dudes are supposed to be handsome- I can tell James Marsden is, but this guy just looks like any old dude to me), he never really utilizes such a thing in the film. He's more or less what a "common professional" would be like, and isn't really a fighter or anything.

About the Performer: Patrick Dempsey is best-known for being on Grey's Anatomy, one of the most-watched and least-respected TV shows out there. His career started slow in the 1980s with bit parts and "Love Interest" roles, but didn't actually hit big until the *2000s*, again playing the Love Interest. Basically, his name became a "Patrick Swayze" byline for "A Hot Guy Is In This Movie", and he got pretty much typecast in that kind of role everywhere (ESPECIALLY once Anatomy became a huge hit). He was actually the replacement for Joaquin Phoenix in the sequel to Brother Bear. Satisfied with his acting career, he's instead moved on to auto racing, where he's quite good- he kind of did an "enough money is enough" sort of thing, and got tired of the grind. The fact that he is DECIDEDLY typecast probably helped him along, as does the fact that he's mostly known as a "TV Actor" who's never fronted a film on his own, meaning he'd be stuck in the "full 24 episodes" thing (which is EXHAUSTING to performers).
HalloweenJack

Re: Jab's Builds! (Kronk! Yzma! Treasure Planet! Brother Bear! Enchanted! Giselle!)

Post by HalloweenJack »

He had Can't Buy Me Love, I thought.

granted, not the biggest movie...
greycrusader

Re: Jab's Builds! (Kronk! Yzma! Treasure Planet! Brother Bear! Enchanted! Giselle!)

Post by greycrusader »

Man, Disney's well really ran dry for awhile there after the Renaissance, up until Enchanted; I've never even seen any of these, though I've read Atlantis and Treasure Planet are actually decent, if not memorable. But the others range from bland to bad, and just have me wondering how creative can nosedive so quickly at a company.

All my best.
Jabroniville

Prince Edward

Post by Jabroniville »

PRINCE EDWARD
Played by:
James Marsden
Role: The Rescuing Prince, The "James Marsden" Role
PL 7 (73)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Athletics 5 (+7)
Expertise (Knight) 4 (+5)
Expertise (Singing & Dancing) 6 (+8)
Intimidation 3 (+5)
Perception 4 (+5)
Persuasion 2 (+4)

Advantages:
Attractive, Equipment (Sword +2), Evasion, Fast Grab, Favoured Enemy (Trolls), Improved Critical (Sword), Improved Disarm, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Sword +10 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +3, Fortitude +4, Will +5

Complications:
Relationship (Giselle)- "Love At First Sight" is at play here, and Edward is in love with Giselle without actually knowing her.
Responsibility (Fish Out Of Water)- As a noble Prince with no helper in the Real World, Edward has no clue what any of this technology is, stabs a bus, threatens a construction worker with a sword, and talks to the television set.

Total: Abilities: 40 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 12 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 9 (73)

-James Marsden really played it up in this movie, effectively aping Amy Adam's "Naive Fantasy Character" thing, but adding a dose of narcissism and violence without coming across as insane or hyper-aggressive, which would have to be tough to play right. He fights like Prince Phillip (he's shown handily beating a fairly large Troll), but is a bit low on Mental Stats (since he's... kind of simple-minded), but he DOES end up with an animated version of IDINA FREAKING MENZEL, which is totally rad. I mean, combining Elphaba with the uber-babeness of a Disney Princess? AWESOME.

About the Performer: James Marsden is another Handsome Leading Man type, who ironically gets cast as "The Guy We Don't Want To Get The Girl" OVER AND OVER AGAIN, to the point where people crack jokes about it all the time. A pretty-boy with a round face and eager smile, he was ideal for "Unthreatening Love Interest" types, but his career took some time to get started, as those roles don't make for respected work. His biggest role by far is as Cyclops in the X-Men movies, and he was well-cast, being a bit stodgy and uninteresting, but ultimately noble and good at his job. Fans were obviously supposed to think Wolverine was the coolest, but Cyke came off properly. Alas, the series just COMPLETELY shit all over the character in the end, as he gets killed OFF-CAMERA in X3 because Marsden was too busy to do much filming, and he only does cameos in the later ones.

-His career went pretty well for a while, with a role as... the guy who doesn't get the girl in The Notebook. And in Enchanted... as the guy who doesn't get Princess Giselle. And Superman Returns... where he's raising Superman's child with Lois Lane. I mean, this REALLY became a thing- all these movies were released within a couple of years of each other.

-... Wow, talk about a faltering career. His work since 2011 is pretty damn pathetic. The fact that Hollywood has a HUGE amount of Handsome Leading Men to call upon, and continually casts them even when they're old and gray, means that it's hard to properly break in, and despite a respectable career appearing in MULTIPLE $300 million+ movies, he's always "That Guy Who Loses The Girl".
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.