Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
KorokoMystia

Re: Jab's Builds! (Atlantis! Kida! Emperor’s New Groove! Kuzco! Kronk!)

Post by KorokoMystia »

If I recall, one of the problems of Treasure Planet (so I heard) is that both it and Titan AE were in a race to be released before the other, which ended up being detrimental to both movies.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

The most popular part of the movie, in some circles :):

https://disney.wikia.com/wiki/Sarah_Hawkins

Ares
Site Admin

Re: Jab's Builds! (Hades! Circe! Mulan! Shang! Shan Yu! Tarzan! Jane!)

Post by Ares »

HalloweenJack wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:30 am
Ares wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:34 am
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:05 am

Yeah, that was really interesting- I watched it at my parents' place during Canadian Thanksgiving, and it really kept interesting the whole way. Though I got the sense he's not quite the editor the Nostalgia Critic & Lindsey Ellis are- he kind of skipped around a lot, and missed plot points and didn't do a full, proper review.
Chuck (sfDebris) tends to look at things first and foremost from a science fiction perspective, examining themes, world building and then focusing on plot and character. He also tries very hard to keep his reviews to a reasonable length, so between the research he did for Atlantis and the history of the films development, it's possible he missed a few plot points while capturing the essence of the film. He does a lot of solid reviews and I'd recommend checking out his other stuff. He does everything from Gargoyles to Transformers to Star Trek, Star Wars, Stargate and Dr. Who, as well as Robocop, the Terminator, and the Thing

I honestly prefer him to both Nostalgia reviewers. I found the Critic's reviews entertaining in the early days, but he's someone to watch more for screeching, overly emotional outrage reactions and sarcasm more than an actual review of the work. As for the Chick, I've watched a couple of her reviews and couldn't really get into her stuff. And since a lot of the really shitty stuff that went on at Channel Awesome came to light, I don't watch either of them anymore.

Chuck's someone I watch for both entertainment and a good critical review of a work. And if you ever wanted to see someone take the piss out of Michael Bay, go watch his Transformers film reviews. And to really appreciate the Wonder Woman movie, check out his review of the TV pilot from a while back.

you need to get Snobbed
I'm a big fan of the Cinema Snob, actually. Even met him in person once at a convention. Real nice guy.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:18 am The most popular part of the movie, in some circles :):

Image (yes, I know, an edit)
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

FuzzyBoots wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:34 am
Jabroniville wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:18 am The most popular part of the movie, in some circles :):

Image (yes, I know, an edit)
Image doesn’t work. I’ll assume you sent something lewd :).
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Kida! Kuzco! Kronk! Yzma! Treasure Planet!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Okay, so I have a game plan for the next month or so:

Now to late Oct: Disney Builds (ending with Moana re-posts)
Late Oct: Pixar Builds (mostly comments, as the vast majority or Pixar characters are unworthy of stats and are more Bystanders in exceptional circumstances)
Early Nov: Two days of random Marvel builds from The List
Early Nov: Street Fighter V (three new characters since the last update)
Early Nov: Overwatch (Brigitte and Wrecking Ball)
Mid-Nov: Marvel- The Letter “C” (about nine days)
Mid-Nov: Marvel’s Exiles (more reposts from the ATT)

After that, it’s probably either MK or Mario.
Jabroniville

John Silver

Post by Jabroniville »

JOHN SILVER
Played by:
Brian Murray
Role: Pirate, Jerk With A Heart Of Gold
PL 8 (97)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Athletics 2 (+5)
Deception 5 (+7)
Expertise (Cook) 4 (+6)
Expertise (Criminal) 6 (+8)
Technology 4 (+6)
Vehicles 1 (+5)

Advantages:
Equipment (Assorted Tech), Ranged Attack 2

Powers:
"Cybernetic Limb"
"Gun" Blast 5 (10) -- [12]
  • AE: "Sword" Strength-Damage +3 (Feats: Improved Critical) (4)
  • AE: "Laser Cannon" Blast 8 (Flaws: Distracting- Requires Leg Implements) (8)
Equipment 1: Welding Tool

"Cybernetic Eye"
Enhanced Advantages 2: Ranged Attack 2 [2]
Senses 2 (Extended & Infravision) [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Sword +8 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Gun +6/+8 (+5 Ranged Damage, DC 20)
Laser Cannon +6/+8 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +4, Fortitude +6, Will +5

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)- Silver is a pirate, and desperately wants the gifts of Treasure Planet.
Relationship (Jim Hawkins)- Silver will soon be forced to choose between this brave young lad and the treasure that haunts his dreams.
Responsibility (Mutineer Leader)- Silver must act up to a certain standard- he has to be meaner and nastier than he normally is around his teammates, lest they think he's gotten soft.

Total: Abilities: 56 / Skills: 22--11 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 16 / Defenses: 11 (97)

-Silver is a rarity in Disney films- a villain who actually changes sides by the end, turning to the side of good by giving up his treasure to save Jim Hawkins after coming to like the boy. He's fairly powerful, and gets extra boosts from his Cybernetics.

About the Performer: Brian Murray just died this August, and was a white guy with a Theater career so long he got a Tony in the early 1960s (for Rosencrantz and Gildenstern Are Dead). Most of his work is on the stage, but he has some movie & TV credits in smaller roles.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

There's a LOT of reasons why the Disney Renaissance ended and turned into... what we got in the early 2000s, but Jodi "Ariel" Benson made it very clear that the Renaissance was mostly due to "Howard" (Howard Ashman, who died during the making of Beauty and the Beast). Looking at the musical competency that followed him, it's hard not to make that claim- the last movie with his touch was Aladdin, and after the Elton John-led Lion King, you got... Pocahontas, Hunchback and others. There's some good stuff in all of those, but ain't no way on Earth the lyricist behyind Suppertime and Gaston would have allowed shit like Savages or Zero to Hero, or boring "blah" like The Bells of Notre Dame slide by. Under Ashman, EVERY SONG was good.

In the end, Disney has ALWAYS had ebbs and floes. It usually does its best work when basing itself around a particularly few gifted people- either Walt himself, his cast of writers and songmasters back in the day, Ashman & Menken in the Renaissance, Musker & Clemens as superstar directors, and finally Jon Lassetter in modern times. It's part of why people are so touchy with Lassetter being gone now- a HUGE amount of the studio's recent success was on him. It's no mystery why his position was filled with TWO people, not just one.

Going too far without a real creative vision sees... well, The Black Cauldron almost kill animation forever. And then Treasure Planet almost killing animation forever. And then Home on the Range almost killing animation forever. Really, they get cold feet any time ANYTHING fails utterly. The studio is worth bajillions these days, and makes a ridiculous profit off of Merchandise... but they also have a huge number of the largest bombs ever (the recent Alice movie, John Carter, The Lone Ranger and others).

Other reasons:
* Jeffrey Katzenberg, the guy who cracked the whip on the animators, leaving the studio.

* Pocahontas being SO BAD really cast a pall over the rest of the movies. I think a lot of them got unfairly maligned afterwards owing to that movie being Disney's 32X.

* Michael Eisner's boring, dreary personality kind of just putting pencil-pushers in charge everywhere and lacking true leadership.

* Everyone getting too far up their own ass with "The Meaning" behind everything, leading to a lot of pretty dreary Oscar Bait films.

* Relying too much on the "Disney Template", which was fraying by Pocahontas with all the sidekicks.

* The trend itself was dying- a craze or fad can only last so long before it bursts- you just weren't gonna get the same results over and over again.

* Poorly-cast characters. Relying on big-name celebrities for EVERY MOVIE didn't really work.

* Atlantis and Treasure Planet coming out one after the other, both relying on a similar "Steampunk" aesthetic that has NEVER, EVER BEEN POPULAR, no matter how vocal that fanbase is. They were both too "meh" and lacked the real "Disney Touch". That these two came out so soon after one another was more or less a signifier of how bad Disney had become.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

If I remember right Katzemberg was also the guy who insisted that every TV show produced should be 3-4 seasons (plus direct-to-video feature movies) long tops, so that animators won't fossilize on a single style and group of characters.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Something TV Tropes points out about Lilo and Stitch:
As this film's fans are fond of pointing out, it did several things that were considered pretty daring and unconventional for a Disney film back in 2002—but most of those things have since been done by more successful Disney films, making it a bit harder to appreciate this one in hindsight. Case in point: it featured a modern working-class protagonist of color before The Princess and the Frog did, it featured a female protagonist without a love interest before Brave did, it focused on the unconditional love between two sisters before Frozen did, it did an entirely science-fiction plot before Big Hero 6 did, and it featured a central cast of native Pacific Islanders before Moana did.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Brother Bear

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImage

BROTHER BEAR (2003):
Written by:
Tab Murphy, Lorne Cameron, David Hoselton, Steve Bencich & Ron J. Friedman

-I figured "what the hell?" and rented this one- it's one of the latter-day Disney films, and didn't do to well or get very well-received, but it's... okay. Ish. It basically has some cool set pieces and one VERY awesome transformation sequence that reminds you how mind-blowing this studio is, but then spends the rest of the movie being kind of boring and sucky. No real villain, only one memorable song (the rest is the crap Phil Collins didn't want to use for "Tarzan"), no love story, very little drama after a point, and the story is ridiculously by-the-numbers. Disney has done Animal Movies better, Lesson Movies better, animation better, and more- this just comes across like some half-assed idea someone had, and nobody could think of a better one until it was too late.

The whole thing is that Kenai kills a bear after his oldest brother dies rescuing from it, and as penance, is transformed into a bear himself. At this point, the whole "Inuit Culture" package (which is done better than Pocahontas and her boring-ass tribe of natives) drops away and it become an Animal Movie, with Kenai The Bland (he's sort of like a disrespectful, impulsive teenager... but just dull) and an Annoying Kid Character in Koda, and they meet some "funny" side characters (I wonder if the Bob & Doug Mackenzie-voiced Moose Brothers can be considered racist- it would be if they were using accents from another RACE, I tell you what. This anti-Canadian racism shall not stand!) and have some mediocre adventures involving very little actual threat. This movie's just... bleh.

Reception & Cultural Impact:
The movie did pre-e-e-e-e-etty well, I guess (out-grossing most of the movies between the Renaissance and then- such as Atlantis, Home on the Range and Treasure Planet), but didn't blow any minds, and the reviews were decidedly mixed. It got a Straight-To-Video Sequel, but once "Home On The Range" came out, it got the Traditional Animation Division permanently axed and replaced with CGI stuff until "The Princess and the Frog" came out (which itself ensured that CGI would be the way of the future when "Tangled' destroyed it in a box office comparison).
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

Ares wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:20 am
Ares wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:34 am

Chuck (sfDebris) tends to look at things first and foremost from a science fiction perspective, examining themes, world building and then focusing on plot and character. He also tries very hard to keep his reviews to a reasonable length, so between the research he did for Atlantis and the history of the films development, it's possible he missed a few plot points while capturing the essence of the film. He does a lot of solid reviews and I'd recommend checking out his other stuff. He does everything from Gargoyles to Transformers to Star Trek, Star Wars, Stargate and Dr. Who, as well as Robocop, the Terminator, and the Thing

I honestly prefer him to both Nostalgia reviewers. I found the Critic's reviews entertaining in the early days, but he's someone to watch more for screeching, overly emotional outrage reactions and sarcasm more than an actual review of the work. As for the Chick, I've watched a couple of her reviews and couldn't really get into her stuff. And since a lot of the really shitty stuff that went on at Channel Awesome came to light, I don't watch either of them anymore.

Chuck's someone I watch for both entertainment and a good critical review of a work. And if you ever wanted to see someone take the piss out of Michael Bay, go watch his Transformers film reviews. And to really appreciate the Wonder Woman movie, check out his review of the TV pilot from a while back.

you need to get Snobbed
I'm a big fan of the Cinema Snob, actually. Even met him in person once at a convention. Real nice guy.

he's like this tall.............which loses meaning as this all type
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

heh heh....can't wait for Jab's comments about Home On The Range
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

HalloweenJack wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:03 pm
Ares wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:20 am

you need to get Snobbed

he's like this tall.............which loses meaning as this all type
Dude is SUPER tiny, but really friendly. He actually autographed the cover art for one of his videos and gave it to me as a gift.

HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

Nice. I'd like to shoot the shit with that guy about movies. and Spoony if we can dig him up