Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Thorpocalypse

Re: Jab's Builds! (Megara! Hades! The Titans! Circe! Mulan! Shang!)

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:53 am Hm, I'm surprised only one person weighed in on Mortal Kombat or Mario as far as "My Next Project" goes.

There's a handful of other things I was thinking of getting to. DC's Teen Titans were somewhat close to the end of the original ATT. A few kids shows and toylines, as well (Visionaries, He-Man, She-Ra). DC's Animated Universe was also a heck of a long time ago (and way, way back, may have been my most popular set ever). I don't have much new to add to those things, though I guess the Titans would involve a lot of more recently-introduced characters that I'm unfamiliar with and dread having to build (ugh I'll have to decide on a PL for Cassie Sandsmark). But I kinda wanted to wait to do that for when/if Batgirl makes a return here... but then, I said that about Disney Builds, and she left right before those started, lol :).
Mortal Kombat then Teen Titans. F*** Mario. ;)

Signed, Wario
Me fail English? That's unpossible. - Ralph Wiggum
Thorpocalypse

Re: Dinosaur

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:56 am DINOSAUR (2000):
Written by:
Ralph Zondag, John Harrison & Robert Nelson Jacobs

This is one of the only movies of the Animated Canon I've never seen, so I can't give a good review.

Reception & Cultural Impact:
Overall, nobody really went NUTS over the film, though it doesn't seem like many hated it. It did JUST well enough to earn back it's cost domestically, and doubled that overseas, proving to be about as successful as much more well-remembered films like Mulan and Hunchback, oddly enough. Unfortunately for the film, despite its great animation, it was COMPLETELY forgotten in the intervening years because of the CRAPLOAD of CGI films that were released since then- it stands out a bit for being a more dramatic tale. You'd be hard-pressed to find someone who even really remembers this.

The only real link the film has anymore is as an historical curiosity (the first time Disney itself attempted a fully-CGI film), and as the basis for the Dinosaur thrill ride in Disney's Animal Kingdom theme park. There, they mirror the track from Disneyland's Indiana Jones ride, but throw dinosaurs into it. For me, it loses a lot of the appeal thanks to simply throwing you in a dark jungle- I was like "oh, this is it?", because rumbling around in a jeep isn't quite as fun when there's cliffs, bridges, poison darts and flaming idols all around you. You get a few "Dinosaur Sightings", and then a Carnotaurus attacks you, and you bail out of the room. its' the only real high point in the "Dino Land" part of that park (which was famously a "Half-Day Park" until they added Avatar-themed stuff and a night show). Honestly, I rode it once, was like "yeah, that's okay", and then did the rest of the things.
You're not missing anything.

My oldest son was born in 1999 so my knowledge of kid related media from about 2000 to 2012 is pretty expansive, because I am a crappy parent and I let my kids watch too much TV and play too many video games. When my youngest got his first detention a couple of years ago, I remember shaking my head and saying "Boy, I thought TV raised you better than that." :)

Since this fell into that timeframe, I watched it with them and I was not impressed. Land Before Time it was not. That Dinosaur ride was one of the low-lights of our first trip to Disney when my oldest, who was 9 at the time, was scared to go on it, but everyone else was riding, even my youngest and our friend's daughter who were both 5 at the time. We drug him on there and he kept his eyes closed and whined and cried through almost the whole thing. It was just lovely...
Me fail English? That's unpossible. - Ralph Wiggum
Jabroniville

Audrey

Post by Jabroniville »

AUDREY ROCIO RAMIREZ
Played by:
Jacqueline Obradors
Role: Pint-Sized Mechanic
PL 3 (55)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Deception 3 (+4)
Expertise (Science) 4 (+7)
Intimidation 1 (+2)
Perception 2 (+3)
Sleight of Hand 2 (+6)
Technology 7 (+10)
Vehicles 1 (+5)

Advantages:
Ranged Attack

Offense:
Unarmed +5 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +3 (DC 13), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness +2, Fortitude +1, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Money)
Secret (Taking Atlantis' Power Source)

Total: Abilities: 40 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 1 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 4 (55)

-Audrey is the mechanic in this multiracial bunch (seriously- it's 1914 and they added three non-white racial groups to this military operation. Gotta love it), knowing a ton about mechanics, as well as being a little street tough with an oddly-square set of lips. In one of the darker parts of the movie, during the Leviathan attack she shuts off one of the sectors in Engineering to save the ship... visibly sending one of her co-workers to his death (he's trapped behind the door as water floods in). SFDebris points out that her character literally does nothing particularly useful during the course of the movie, and is the only person in the crew not to.

About the Performer: Obradors has been in various shows in small roles, most notably NYPD Blue for four years. A latina actress who ISN'T one of the big, famous ones, she really isn't getting any major roles they don't already snap up.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Helga

Post by Jabroniville »

LIEUTENANT HELGA SINCLAIR
Played by:
Claudia Christian
Role: The Baroness (ie. hot german chick who is seductive but also mean and militaristic)
PL 7 (104)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 3 (+8)
Athletics 6 (+8)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+10)
Deception 2 (+5, +7 Attractive)
Expertise (Soldier) 6 (+8)
Expertise (Bodyguard) 3 (+5)
Insight 3 (+5)
Intimidation 2 (+5)
Investigation 3 (+5)
Perception 3 (+5)
Persuasion 1 (+4, +6 Attractive)
Stealth 1 (+6)
Technology 2 (+4)
Vehicles 3 (+7)

Advantages:
Attractive, Beginner's Luck, Diehard, Equipment 2 (Gun +5), Great Endurance, Improved Aim, Improved Critical (Firearm), Improved Hold, Improved Trip, Precise Attack (Ranged/Cover), Ranged Attack 5

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Gun +9 (+5 Ranged Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +5

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +5

Complications:
Motivation (Money)

Total: Abilities: 58 / Skills: 40--20 / Advantages: 16 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 10 (104)

-Helga is a bit unique- generally this type of character is the Femme Fatale, and she comes across as that in the opening bits of the movie. She wears a sexy dress (though the Disney censors forced them to put it further down her leg, because we all know that the upper leg is obscene) and talks all seductive to Milo... then immediately shifts into this hard-assed military woman in charge (in 1914?), generally taking Rourke's side and making sarcastic remarks about Milo ("how is he still single?"). She's with Rourke until the very end, when she is fatally injured by an acute case of Being Thrown Off A Goddamned Hot-Air Balloon when it starts getting weighted down. She gets her revenge on the boss-man with a nicely-placed Flare Gun, and is never seen again.

-Helga is quite dangerous, fighting with Hong Kong Action-Fuey in a world of standard Two-Fisted Adventurers, and thus has a really good Attack Bonus and some ability with firearms.
About the Performer: Claudia Christian is best-known for playing Ivanova in Babylon Five, and was typically "The Hot Girl" before that. Unusually, the show let an attractive woman play a pretty stodgy military figure, though gave her a rare lesbian subplot (I mean, think of the time period this show came out during). Her career outside of that has been pretty minor (though she posed nude for Playboy in 1999!), and she confessed to having a drinking problem in the 2000s.
Woodclaw

Re: Jab's Builds! (Shan Yu! Tarzan! Jane! Queen La! Dinosaur! Atlantis!)

Post by Woodclaw »

Mole, Vinny and Helga are another of the reasons why a lot of people compared Atlantis to Nadia. The "main sidekicks" to Nadia and Jean were a team of thieves fromed by Grandis (a noblewoman fallen into hard times due to a terrible marriage), Sanson (her family chaffeaur and resident strongman) and Hanson (a fatso mechanic with a knack for creating absolutely over the top vehicles). In and of itself this trio of bumbling thieves with a heart of goldwere already a double homage: Sanson and Hanson dressed like a palette swap of the Blues Brothers and the entire team dynamics were very close to the various "villain trios" of the Time Bokan series, with the boss-lady, the snarky strongman and the quirky mechanic.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

For your cosplay examples, one of Milo.
Jabroniville

Re: Dinosaur

Post by Jabroniville »

Thorpocalypse wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:40 am
Jabroniville wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:56 am DINOSAUR (2000):
Written by:
Ralph Zondag, John Harrison & Robert Nelson Jacobs

This is one of the only movies of the Animated Canon I've never seen, so I can't give a good review.

Reception & Cultural Impact:
Overall, nobody really went NUTS over the film, though it doesn't seem like many hated it. It did JUST well enough to earn back it's cost domestically, and doubled that overseas, proving to be about as successful as much more well-remembered films like Mulan and Hunchback, oddly enough. Unfortunately for the film, despite its great animation, it was COMPLETELY forgotten in the intervening years because of the CRAPLOAD of CGI films that were released since then- it stands out a bit for being a more dramatic tale. You'd be hard-pressed to find someone who even really remembers this.

The only real link the film has anymore is as an historical curiosity (the first time Disney itself attempted a fully-CGI film), and as the basis for the Dinosaur thrill ride in Disney's Animal Kingdom theme park. There, they mirror the track from Disneyland's Indiana Jones ride, but throw dinosaurs into it. For me, it loses a lot of the appeal thanks to simply throwing you in a dark jungle- I was like "oh, this is it?", because rumbling around in a jeep isn't quite as fun when there's cliffs, bridges, poison darts and flaming idols all around you. You get a few "Dinosaur Sightings", and then a Carnotaurus attacks you, and you bail out of the room. its' the only real high point in the "Dino Land" part of that park (which was famously a "Half-Day Park" until they added Avatar-themed stuff and a night show). Honestly, I rode it once, was like "yeah, that's okay", and then did the rest of the things.
You're not missing anything.

My oldest son was born in 1999 so my knowledge of kid related media from about 2000 to 2012 is pretty expansive, because I am a crappy parent and I let my kids watch too much TV and play too many video games. When my youngest got his first detention a couple of years ago, I remember shaking my head and saying "Boy, I thought TV raised you better than that." :)

Since this fell into that timeframe, I watched it with them and I was not impressed. Land Before Time it was not. That Dinosaur ride was one of the low-lights of our first trip to Disney when my oldest, who was 9 at the time, was scared to go on it, but everyone else was riding, even my youngest and our friend's daughter who were both 5 at the time. We drug him on there and he kept his eyes closed and whined and cried through almost the whole thing. It was just lovely...
Yessss... sweet, succulent Thorpocalypse comments... especially relevant to the topic of Disney Parks stuff (which literally nobody else comments on :)).

Now quick! Go back and comment on the ALL ;)!!!
Jabroniville

Rourke

Post by Jabroniville »

COMMANDER LYLE TIBERIUS ROURKE
Played by:
James Garner
Role: The Military Guy, Hidden Villain
Most Villainous Act: Dooms entire civilization because he wants to sell their stuff for money.
PL 7 (113)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Athletics 5 (+8)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+10)
Deception 5 (+8)
Expertise (Military) 8 (+11)
Insight 2 (+5)
Intimidation 4 (+7)
Investigation 2 (+5)
Perception 2 (+5)
Persuasion 2 (+5)
Stealth 1 (+5)
Technology 2 (+5)
Vehicles 3 (+7)

Advantages:
Beginner's Luck, Benefit (Rank), Chokehold, Diehard, Equipment 2 (Pistol +5), Fast Grab, Great Endurance, Improved Aim, Improved Critical 2 (Unarmed, Pistol), Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Inspire, Leadership, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 5

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Gun +9 (+5 Ranged Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +5

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +4, Fortitude +6, Will +5

Complications:
Motivation (Money)

Total: Abilities: 64 / Skills: 38--19 / Advantages: 21 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 9 (113)

-Commander Rourke appears to be a bit of a genial old military guy at first, being strict but fair- he even tolerates Milo's incompetent presence on their mission! However, his true colours are immediately revealed when he walks into the Royal Chamber, punches Leonard Nimoy in the stomach, and takes control of the culture's power source, dooming thousands to a slow death. He blows off his teammates when they turn on him for this, then kills his OWN SECOND-IN-COMMAND when she starts weighing down their hot-air balloon. She gets a bit of revenge when she damages the thing in revenge, and ends up getting a fairly grotesque fate- while beating the bejeezus out of the helpless Milo, he ends up merging with Kida's "Life Energy" or whatever, but it turns him into a dark version of her, consuming his body and turning it into some kind of glowing rock-man. He makes one final lunge at Milo, his face full of rage and hatred (he'd pretty much snapped mentally by this point ANYWAYS, and that couldn't have helped), and ends up sticking his head up too high into the propeller of their vessel, and he kersplodes into a dozen pieces.

-As a Disney Villain, Rourke is pretty minor-league, though he's fairly effective in being likeable, then turning evil- James Garner did quite well. It's just too bad he has too little screen-time, and doesn't get some truly magnificent moments, because he might have been something.

-As a fighter, he's up there with the quality villains at PL 7, though not enough for super-hero work- he's more of a realistic Peak Soldier. Given modern-day weaponry (+6 Automatic Weapons and stuff), he'd be a good PL 8 or 9 Punisher foe.

About the Performer: James Garner was super-duper respected as an actor, and had a career that lasted far in excess of pretty much anyone else. He was a war hero (fighting in both WWII and Korea) who used his movie-star looks and great height to play many heroic characters, particularly in Maverick, which made him a star immediately. He was in the smash The Great Escape, The Rockford Files (a successful TV show), and other things. Modern audiences most likely remember him from The Notebook, a fabled romance movie where he played the elderly version of Ryan Gosling's character. Women LOVED it, and I heard from several dudes that it almost made them tear up, too, but I guess I have a mean old cynic's heart, because I didn't feel much about it (also, YOU CAN'T WILL YOURSELF TO DIE AT THE SAME TIME AS YOUR WIFE!). He died in 2011.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Couple of quick notes

Vinnie is played by Don Novello whose had a pretty long career as Father Guido Sarducci among other comedic roles on SNL apparently he improved most of his lines in Atlantis being described by one of the writers as looking at the line reading it then never using it again.

In regards to Audrey she should probably have a little more strength and fighting ability as she is a trained Boxer due to her father wanting sons to carry on the championship legacy of her family, her sister is current champ, and Audreys supposed to be pretty good herself but prefers machines to the ring.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

FuzzyBoots wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:28 pm For your cosplay examples, one of Milo.
Haha, nice.

Also it turns out I put this and The Emperor's New Groove out of order. I guess I had one on top of the other in my list, and since I was away from home when I started posting them, I didn't realize it (since they just sit in email files that are harder to read).
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

catsi563 wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:19 pm Couple of quick notes

Vinnie is played by Don Novello whose had a pretty long career as Father Guido Sarducci among other comedic roles on SNL apparently he improved most of his lines in Atlantis being described by one of the writers as looking at the line reading it then never using it again.

In regards to Audrey she should probably have a little more strength and fighting ability as she is a trained Boxer due to her father wanting sons to carry on the championship legacy of her family, her sister is current champ, and Audreys supposed to be pretty good herself but prefers machines to the ring.
Oh hell, I must have template-failed that years ago and not checked. I'll have to fix that later, thanks.

I can make some modifications to Audrey. Though she really didn't get up to too much. Did she mention her own skills in the movie?

Atlantis is really one of those, like Treasure Planet and others, where I've watched them YEARS ago and have remembered just about nothing. All I remember of the movie is Milo & Kida's swim. Reading my synposis, I'm like "they fought a leviathan? And lost their entire crew? Weird."
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

For Audrey Ill admit I don't quite recall her fighting in the movie but I think she boxes a couple of Rourkes mooks semi on screen flattens them and she mentions her skills when she and the group are camping with Milo and introducing themselves

and yeah the Leviathan fight is one of the neater things in the movie destroying the main vessel forcing them to abandon ship
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Jabroniville

Kida

Post by Jabroniville »

She was a fast machine!/
She kept her motor clean!/
She was the best damn woman that I ever seen!/
She had the sightless eyes/
Tellin' me no lies/
Knockin' me out with those Atlantean thighs!!

PRINCESS KIDA (Kidagakash Nedakh)
Played by:
Cree Summer
Role: Disney Princess, Failed Action Girl, Miss Fanservice
PL 6 (107)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 6 (+11)
Athletics 8 (+10)
Expertise (Survival) 5 (+7)
Insight 3 (+5)
Intimidation 2 (+5)
Perception 5 (+7)
Persuasion 2 (+5, +7 Attractive)
Stealth 3 (+8)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Attractive, Benefit (Princess of Atlantis), Chokehold, Diehard, Equipment (Knife, Atlantean Key-Thingie), Fast Grab, Grab Finesse, Great Endurance, Improved Hold, Improved Trip, Languages 2 (Any Latin-Inspired One), Power Attack, Quick Draw, Ranged Attack 4, Startle, Takedown, Tracking

Powers:
"Atlantean Physiology" Immunity 1 (Aging) [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Knife +9 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Initiative +5

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +6

Complications:
Motivation ("MORE!")- Like most latter-day Disney Princesses, Kida wants "something more". In her case, it's more worthwhile- her culture is dying, and only these explorers may help.
Relationship (Milo Thatch)- It took little time for the two to make a connection while he taught her the secrets of Atlantean History.

Total: Abilities: 56 / Skills: 34--17 / Advantages: 23 / Powers: 1 / Defenses: 10 (107)

-Kida is your standard "I want something MORE" Disney Princess for a bit, though little hints, like brandishing weapons at people or trying to gut a soldier with a knife, imply she's a bit more hardcore (sadly, Disney Execs wanted a more peaceful, less-action girly one, so she doesn't get a lot to do offensively). Like most of the cast, she suffers from the large group and doesn't get as much development, though she's inquisitive and spiritual, moreso than a lot of her people, who are merely attempting to survive with what little they have left (even her father is like this, though being voiced by Spock gives him a lot more gravitas). As a Princess, she's spiritually-linked to the Heart of Atlantis that gives it all life, and is thus kind of a Living Macguffin as well, being kidnapped by Rourke and his goon squad.

-The character, despite seemingly being based entirely around appealing to the male audience (she's nearly always scantily-clad, wearing a bikini top and baring her legs quite often, in addition to the "Dark skin and white hair" look), hasn't had much of a cultural impact, and Disney's ignoring of Atlantis hasn't help. So despite fitting the criteria by most estimations (though she inhabits a much more modern era than most), she is NOT an official "Disney Princess".

-Kida's PL 6 mostly, and is pretty good in a fight, though she's no elite. She's more flighty and quick than anyone else in the "Atlantisverse", unless you want to canonically tie in into the Gargoylesverse the way they were going to before the movie bombed.

About the Performer: Cree Summer has had a TON of work, largely thanks to a high-pitched, yet mobile, voice. She started out as Penny on Inspector Gadget, but has moved on to roles all over the place, like Susie Carmichael in Rugrats, Foxy in Drawn Together, and Elmyra in Tiny Toons. Kida is one of her only "Big Ticket" roles- something Disney is occasionally good about- hiring based off of talent instead of being well-known (Quasimodo, too, was less well-known). She's a black woman, so fits the multi-ethnic-looking Kida. She does pretty well in her limited role at making up a new kind of accent, though she specializes in the occasional "Ethnic" character (I have a hard time not hearing Suzie Carmichael when she speaks at times, but she plays more seductive characters as well).
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Woah,woah,WOAH!....They were going to tie Atlantis into the Gargoyles TV show?! How... :shock:
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

MacynSnow wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:35 am Woah,woah,WOAH!....They were going to tie Atlantis into the Gargoyles TV show?! How... :shock:
From what I've seen, Demona was going to show up at during that time period as a kind of recurring nemesis for the heroes.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.