SHIELD Analyst 44 - Numerical Damage Capacity Assessment

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
SHIELD Analyst 44

SHIELD Analyst 44 - Numerical Damage Capacity Assessment

Post by SHIELD Analyst 44 »

Okay, so I'm attempting to make a series of benchmarks for converting characters into the M&M3e system, which means that I want to start looking up the listed values of Difficulty Classes, Damage dealt different types of weapon, and Damage resisted by different types of armour. For this thread, I will be looking at the damage dealt by weapons. All listings assume use by somebody with perfectly average abilities and accuracy equal to the damage.

Power Level RAW Example
00 Unarmed (average person)/Whip
01 Brass Knuckles/Knife/Shuriken/Tonfa
02 Boomerang/Chain/Club/Javelin/Nunchucks/Pistol, Hold-Out/Quarterstaff/Sap
03 Battle-Axe/Bow/Crossbow/Pistol, Light/Pistol, Machine/Spear/Sword/Warhammer
04 Bolos/Pistol, Heavy/Submachine Gun
05 Sniper Rifle/Shotgun (Shot-round vs unarmoured opponent)/Grenade launcher/"Blaster" Pistol/Dynamite
06 Flamethrower/Chainsaw
07 Nothing Listed
08 "Blaster" Rifle
09 Nothing Listed
10 Rocket Launcher/Plastic Explosives

- Bolos are actually 'Snare 4', rather than straight forward damage.
- Pepper Spray is actually 'Dazzle 5' and 'Stun 5', rather than straight forward damage.
Last edited by SHIELD Analyst 44 on Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:18 am, edited 3 times in total.
Thorpocalypse

Re: SHIELD Analyst 44 - Numerical Damage Capacity Assessment

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Welcome to the boards. Glad to see Fury gave you this assignment. :)

I'll be interested to see what you come up with. I've been building for eons but I just really started playing a lot the past few months (which is why I'm not building as much, limited time) so I'm wondering which bent you're going for. Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
Me fail English? That's unpossible. - Ralph Wiggum
SHIELD Analyst 44

Re: SHIELD Analyst 44 - Numerical Damage Capacity Assessment

I'm going to be adapting carefully, trying to make a representational character build, rather than a playable one. I also won't bother to match up every single stat, skill, and superpower since a lot of that sort of thing can be written off as a hero point or two.
SHIELD Analyst 44

Numerical Damage Capacity Assessment

"That's not a knife, this is a knife!"
Mick Dundee, Crocodile Dundee

As Mick points out, the listing for a knife seems a little...small. It also seems to be the only 'knife' listing with no mention of other styles of knife. With that in mind, I suggest the following additions:

PL 0 - That's-Not-A Knife (A small or crappy blade. Really just useful because you might want to cut something instead of beating it with your fists.) Strength Based Damage +0

PL 1 - A Knife (A knife, average in size and manufacture.) Strength Based Damage +1

PL 2 - This-Is-A Knife (An enormous combat knife. Basically a shortsword.) Strength Based Damage +2

Speaking of swords:
PL 2 - Short-sword (A gladius, or similar.) Strength Based Damage +2

PL 3 - Arming-sword (A fairly standard, one-handed sword. Pretty much any fantasy "Knight" or "Viking" sword.) Strength Based Damage +3

PL 4 - Long-sword (A massive sword, normal humans need to use both hands to attain 'full-strength' and can only attain PL 2 if they try using this with only one hand. However, super-strong characters, or people with some means of gripping firmly with only one hand - stretchy powers or vines for fingers or a hand made of clay - might be able to use it as normal with just one hand) Strength Based Damage +4

Examples from famous fiction:
PL 0
Joxer The Mighty's Tiny Knife
(Xena The Warrior Princess)
Surgical tools
(Insert Medical Drama Here)

PL 1
Almost every action hero's knife, ever.
(Almost every piece action genre fiction)

PL 2
Mick Dundee's knife
(Crocodile Dundee)
John Rambo's knife
(First Blood)
Gladius
(Gladiator)

PL 3
Xena's Longsword
(Xena The Warrior Princess)

PL 4
Conan's Broadsword