Pulse Pounding Adventures - Pulp and Film Serial Discussion

The place to talk about your favorite novels, comic books and web comics.
Arkrite

Re: Pulse Pounding Adventures - Pulp and Film Serial Discussion

Post by Arkrite »

I'm just laughing because John Carter of Mars is basically the original template for the modern Japanese isekai genre.

Normal guy "dies", gets reborn on another world, gains some kind of super power, proceeds to take names and kick ass, befriends alien cultures through sheer personality, and falls in love with the princess ;~)
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Arkrite wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:30 pm I'm just laughing because John Carter of Mars is basically the original template for the modern Japanese isekai genre.

Normal guy "dies", gets reborn on another world, gains some kind of super power, proceeds to take names and kick ass, befriends alien cultures through sheer personality, and falls in love with the princess ;~)
You can see John Carter's footprint on a LOT of fiction, everything from Superman and Super Mario to Star Wars. It's criminal that film wasn't better made.

Though one of my favorite JCoM moments was how John inadvertently gave away his identity. Earlier in the book, he'd encountered one of the villains of the piece and the two had gotten into a "fight". I use quotations because the "fight" consisted of the guy leaping at John, and John sidestepping him and punching him once. The guy went down with a few less teeth in his mouth and almost no coherent thoughts in his brain.

Later in the story, John is in disguise when he encounters that guy again, and I believe this time the guy was making some kind of move at Dejah Thoris. Which in the JCoM books is basically a death sentence. John pulls the guy off of her, and when the guy takes a swing at him, John drops him again with one punch.

The guy basically then thinks "This ass kicking feels familiar" and realizes the person in disguise must be John Carter.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:43 am Wow- lotta pulp fans in here! I'll admit it was never a genre that interested me, despite being a predecessor for the whole superhero genre.

It's interesting how many of the main heroes tend to be the ultimate "Power Fantasy"- big, stoic, strong, multi-talented renaissance men who were capable of just about anything, and usually had a best friend who was an noble ethnic buddy :).
The Pulp Genre is interesting to me, because it's basically the precursor of the modern big summer blockbuster film, but in book form. They were also an amazing gold mine of creativity and entertainment.

The whole reason they were called "Pulps" was because they were seen as cheap, fun entertainment at a time when the US had to be cheap with its paper, so they were printed on pressed wood pulp rather than normal print paper. The writers were also literally paid pennies by the word, so to make a living they had to be writing constantly. This lead some to some very formulaic stories, but it lead others to incredible bouts of creativity and fun adventure.

The Pulps are the folks who created the old adage of "When you can't think of anything to movie the story forward, have someone with a gun kick open the nearest door and start shooting". Writers block was a good way to starve to death, so they had to do everything to keep the words flowing.

What was also fun was that the genre was incredibly diverse, both in terms of types of stories and in terms of what folks today look for in diversity. Sure, the heroes of the Pulps were 99% of the time white guys with impressive jaw-lines and action hero sensibilities, but the stories ranged everything from cops and robbers, noir detective work, supernatural horror, weird sci-fi, two-fisted action adventure stories, jungle exploration, war stories, romance, etc. Pulps were very much the precursor to Comic Books because their genre was every genre.

Pulps were also one of the few places where you could see women and minorities in a positive light. Sure, the women often needed saving and the minorities were often sidekicks, but they were also often very competent sidekicks with fleshed out personalities who were treated well. The Spider / Richard "Dick" Wentworth is one of my favorite examples of this, since his girlfriend Nita and his Hindu servant Ram Sing were very positive portrayals. Nita was shown to be very smart, capable and dangerous. In the very first Spider story, she actually prevents her boyfriend's secret identity from being discovered through cleverness that surprises even him. Frequently, she would be the mastermind to save Dick from the trouble he gets into, and a couple of times even took up the Spider mantle herself. She was definitely no damsel in distress.

Likewise, Ram Sing was portrayed as loyal, faithful, competent and probably the most dangerous close quarters fighter in the entire book series. There was one story where he was left to protect Nita while Dick was out on a case. Ram Sing was angry that he couldn't be out helping his master, and feeling pretty useless because he needed a cane to get around. This was because in the previous story, he'd been nearly tortured to death for not giving up Dick and Nita's secrets and refusing to break. He was almost crippled, but would eventually recover completely.

Well, while walking with that cane, a group of elite assassins tried to break into the building Ram Sing and Nita were in, and Ram Sing hobbled over to stop them. The first guy comes at Ram Sing with a knife, and Ram Sing not only ducks the attack, he whips out his own knife and brings the blade up in the guys . . . . tender areas, driving the blade to the guys pelvis so hard and up that the knife blade breaks. The guys buddies see this, dance back, and get ready to throw their knives with what is described as Bullseye like accuracy. Ram Sing LAUGHS, picks up the guy he just mortally wounded up up over his head and throws him at the assassins in a way that the thrown guy's body intercepts the thrown knife blades, and then the thrown body hits both of other assassins. Ram Sing then starts making his way towards them, and the two survivors pull themselves out from under their buddies corps and flee for their lives. And the only reason they survive is that Ram Sing is too hobbled by his leg to chase them.

And that's Ram Sing when he feels weak and useless. Jesus.

This was the era that gave us heroes like Conan the Barbarian. Robert E. Howard always wanted to do historical adventure stories, but he felt he wouldn't be able to really do that due to the time it would take to research certain periods to do them justice. So he created the Hyborean Age, a pre-historic era where he could just put "Serial Numbers Filed Off" versions of the cultures he wanted to use together and have fun with them. This created the modern Fantasy genre (specifically the Swords and Sorcery genre), which later gave us Tolkien and C.S. Lewis' High Fantasy, so on and so forth.

So we got everything from the Lovecraft Mythos to John Carter of Mars to Conan the Barbarian to Tarzan of the Apes to Doc Savage, the Shadow, the Spider, the Green Hornet and Kato, the Lone Ranger and Tonto, it was all just very fun. Like I said, the best aspects of an action blockbuster film in novel form.

Not saying they were all great or that there wasn't a lot of unfortunate examples of the time (despite some positive racial portrayals, there were some decidedly negative ones as well), but overall it's a lot of good fun.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

I wholheartedly agree with Ares,as the Pulp genre was one of the few areas at the timeframe to give EVERYBODY an Even light.My favorite sub-genre,Noir, is a good example of this.For every Good White Cop just trying to do his job,there was on more Crooked than a Mountain Trail. For every Pure Innocent and meek Woman there was a Black or Red Dressed Heartless Femme Fatale (where do you think the idea for CATWOMAN came from?).For every Minority Criminal there was a Minority Honest Man just trying to get by....

And while Ares has his 'Pet' Spider,i just have me &my SHADOW...Can anybody see that bottom image?
Edit: how 'bout this one?
Last edited by MacynSnow on Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:27 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

MacynSnow wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:52 pm Can anybody see that bottom image?
Nope.

Shock

Post by Shock »

Nope
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

I'm not even TRY to get pics anymore... :(
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Fixed it for you.

Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

And one of my personal favorites:

RUSCHE

Post by RUSCHE »

Ares wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:46 pm And one of my personal favorites:

Ok, that is epic...
BriarThrone

Post by BriarThrone »

MacynSnow wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:52 pm Edit: how 'bout this one?
Yep
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Ares wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:42 pmFixed it for you.
Thanks Ares! What was wrong with it?
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

MacynSnow wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:07 pm
From what I can tell, you had copied the wrong link to the image. I had to find the original image by copying the link into Google and do "Search By Image" to find it. When posting an image on a wiki you always want to get to the original image, and then do Copy Image Location off of it to post it for viewing.

And while I love the Spider (and the Shadow to a lesser extent), my favorite Pulp hero has to be this guy:

RUSCHE

Post by RUSCHE »

Ares wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:42 pm
MacynSnow wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:07 pm
From what I can tell, you had copied the wrong link to the image. I had to find the original image by copying the link into Google and do "Search By Image" to find it. When posting an image on a wiki you always want to get to the original image, and then do Copy Image Location off of it to post it for viewing.

And while I love the Spider (and the Shadow to a lesser extent), my favorite Pulp hero has to be this guy:

That looks awesome.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

RUSCHE wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:22 pm
Ares wrote: And while I love the Spider (and the Shadow to a lesser extent), my favorite Pulp hero has to be this guy:

That looks awesome.
The Kenneth Robeson Doc Savage books are frequently a lot of fun and awesome. They include everything from lost Roman Legions found in the heart of Africa to Nazi saboteurs apparently aligned with the lost mermen of Atlantis.