Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
slade the sniper

Re: Jack Skellington

Post by slade the sniper »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:59 pm Image

JACK SKELLINGTON
Played By:
Chris Sarandon (speaking), Danny Elfman (singing)
Role: The Pumpking King, Lamenting Leader
PL 6 (103)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA -- AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 5

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+5)
Expertise (Holiday Planning) 12 (+14)
Expertise (Singing) 10 (+12)
Intimidation 6 (+11)
Perception 4 (+7)
Stealth 4 (+7)

Advantages:
Benefit 2 (The Pumpkin King)

Powers:
"The Pumpkin King"
Immunity 1 (Aging) [1]
"Really, Really Long Limbs" Reach [1]
Immunity 5 (Fire Damage) [5]
Senses 1 (Low-Light Vision) [1]

"Since I Am Dead, I Can Take Off My Head"
Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]
Protection 4 [4]
Features 1: May Remove Body Parts Without Pain [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +4 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +4 (DC 14), Toughness +4, Fortitude --, Will +7

Complications:
Responsibility (Jack's Lament)- Jack has grown bored with running Halloweens over the years, and longs for something new.

Total: Abilities: 30 / Skills: 40--20 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 43 / Defenses: 8 (103)

-Jack is sort of like your typical Tim Burton protagonist- an artistically-brilliant weirdo. Though instead of being a pure outsider, Jack is kind of an "Only Sane Man", being a little more together than his insane town of psychopaths. But not as much as Sally. His design is REALLY incredible- tall and extremely gangly, he nonetheless looks both scary AND cute, with giant eyes and a lil' nose, but capable of being drawn into freaky expressions. Jack longs for "More", like a typical Disney Princess, and thinks that running Christmas is the best way to do it. Unwisely putting a trio of scamps in charge of capturing "Sandy Claws", it proves to be a complete disaster, as the people of Halloween Town can only make presents into horrifying things, and Jack ends up nearly getting killed as a result.

About the Performer: Chris Sarandon's biggest role by FAR is that of Prince Humperdink in The Princess Bride, and I'll fight anyone who says different. Humorously, he was hired AFTER the singing was done- the voice Danny Elfman (who wrote the songs, too) gave him was deemed so good, they cast the speaking voice based off of who could match it.
Wow, I think my D&D 3E writeup of Jack is waaaaaay OP compared to yours. I approached it from the angle that Jack is the leader of a location that is a representation of a holiday...basically a small Astral Realm, plus he can travel to other realms including Earth. Adding to that, he sings and dances (bard), and is an intelligent undead (lots of immunities and hit points). Therefore, my Jack is a 30th level Bard, deific rank 1 Skeleton Lord.

-STS
catsi563

Re: Jab's Builds! (Genie! Jafar! Nightmare Before Christmas! The Lion King!)

Post by catsi563 »

Heres an HD version because that Epicness deserves to be viewed in high Def
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Jabroniville

Rafiki

Post by Jabroniville »

RAFIKI
Played by:
Robert Guillaume
Role: The Advisor
PL 6 (109)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 4 (+9)
Athletics 5 (+7)
Expertise (Survival) 5 (+9)
Expertise (History) 4 (+6)
Expertise (Magic & Spirits) 7 (+9)
Insight 3 (+7)
Intimidation 5 (+8, +6 Size)
Perception 6 (+10)
Persuasion 3 (+6)

Advantages:
Agile Feint, Close Attack, Equipment (Stick +1), Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Hold, Improved Initiative, Power Attack

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 3 (Acute & Extended Scent, Low-Light Vision) [3]
"Simian Anatomy" Enhanced Athletics 4 (+7) (Flaws: Limited to Climbing) [1]
Speed 2 (4 mph) [2]
"Mandrill Teeth" Strength-Damage +1 [1]

"Small Size" Shrinking 4 (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [9]
(-1 Strength & Speed, +2 Defenses, +4 Stealth, -2 Intimidation)

Comprehend 2 (Speak to & Comprehend Spirits) [4]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Bite +8 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Stick +8 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +8

Complications:
Responsibility (The Pride)- Rafiki is the advisor/mystic who aids the King. Mufasa is a close friend, and he usually holds up the newborn Heir to the rest of the animals.
Disabled (Old)- Rafiki requires a stick to walk most of the time, save for when he's KICKING ASS.

Total: Abilities: 52 / Skills: 44--22 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 20 / Defenses: 6 (109)

-Rafiki is the wise aide to Mufasa, and later Simba, acting as a sort of mystical advisor. He also knows how to kick ass, as evidenced by one of the funnier scenes, when he goes all kung-fu on a batch of Hyenas. He can communicate with Spirits and generally flip around and beat the hell out of Hyenas. The character appears in a different context in the Broadway Musical, where the role is always played by an adult woman, representing the sacred role female storytellers play in some African cultures. She shares the trademark cry heard at the very beginning of both film & play, and tends to be played by the same actresses for years at a time- while Main Stars tend to fall away very rapidly in theatrical productions, many side roles end up being held by the same performer for years.

About the Performer: Robert Guillaume was fairly old when cast as Rafiki, and had a long career beforehand, appearing in numerous plays. He was Benson in Soap for a couple of years, before getting a spin-off series that lasted for seven. I mainly recognize him as the wise elder statesman Isaac on Aaron Sorkin's short-lived, super-beloved Sports Night, in which he had only a handful of scenes, but maintained such gravitas that I remember him better than anything else on that show (even Felicity Huffman's mean, MILFy producer, and Wade from Sliders as the office cute girl). He died in 2017, living to almost ninety years of age.
Jabroniville

Re: Simba

Post by Jabroniville »

Woodclaw wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:43 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:07 pm -Matthew Broderick is much more famous, largely as a modern-day musical man. That, and the fact that he's married to what South Park describes as "a transvestite donkey-witch", leads to a lot of aspersions towards his sexuality. That said, he's had a hell of a career doing them, starring in The Producers most notably, but having a film career... full of minor productions. But to most, he'll always be Ferris Bueller, the manipulative shitbag friend who uses others for his own amusement.
To each his own, I guess. I remember him mostly as the thief Philippe "The Mouse" Gaston in Ladyhawke.
... I've never actually heard of that :).
slade the sniper

Re: Mufasa

Post by slade the sniper »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:29 am MUFASA
Played by:
James Earl Jones
Role: The Mighty King, The Father Figure, The Most Bad-Ass Lion in History
PL 10 (140)
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA 7 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 5
What about the Tsavo Man-Eaters (AKA the stars of the Ghost and the Darkness) that ate between 28 and 135 people? You could do up the stats of those two lions and have them fight a street level hero.

-STS
Jabroniville

Re: Jack Skellington

Post by Jabroniville »

slade the sniper wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:51 am
Wow, I think my D&D 3E writeup of Jack is waaaaaay OP compared to yours. I approached it from the angle that Jack is the leader of a location that is a representation of a holiday...basically a small Astral Realm, plus he can travel to other realms including Earth. Adding to that, he sings and dances (bard), and is an intelligent undead (lots of immunities and hit points). Therefore, my Jack is a 30th level Bard, deific rank 1 Skeleton Lord.

-STS
haha, an Epic-Level Bard? Yeah, I can imagine that being a bit powerful compared to this version. To be honest, I barely remember much of Jack's "feats" during the movie, and only just barely remembered to give him the "Undead Power-Set" by seeing Jack's Lament at the Disney Store. I know being shot down in the sleigh endangered him, though.
Jabroniville

Re: Mufasa

Post by Jabroniville »

slade the sniper wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:00 am What about the Tsavo Man-Eaters (AKA the stars of the Ghost and the Darkness) that ate between 28 and 135 people? You could do up the stats of those two lions and have them fight a street level hero.

-STS
Most man-eaters suffer from maladies that make them incapable of killing larger prey- as odd as it sounds, the most dangerous man-eaters are the LEAST bad-ass predators, because they have to resort to dangerous, but easy, prey- humans are no match for lions.
Wikipedia wrote:
Theories for the man-eating behaviour of lions have been reviewed by Peterhans and Gnoske, as well as Bruce D. Patterson (2004). Their discussions include the following:

An outbreak of rinderpest (cattle plague) in 1898 devastated the lions' usual prey, forcing them to find alternative food sources.
The Tsavo lions may have been accustomed to finding dead humans at the Tsavo River crossing. Slave caravans to the center of the Arab slave trade, Zanzibar, routinely crossed the river there.
"Ritual invitation", or abbreviated cremation of Hindu railroad workers, invited scavenging by the lions.
An alternative argument indicates that the first lion had a severely damaged tooth that would have compromised its ability to kill natural prey.[10] This theory has been generally disregarded by the general public and Colonel Patterson, who killed the lions, personally disclaimed it, saying that he damaged that tooth with his rifle while the lion charged him one night, prompting it to flee.[11]

Studies indicate the lions ate humans as a supplement to other food, not as a last resort. Eating humans was probably an alternative to hunting or scavenging caused by dental disease and/or a limited number of prey.[12][13]

In a recent study carried out by the team of Dr. Bruce Patterson it has been found that one of the lions had an infection at the root of his canine tooth, which made it hard for the lion to hunt. Lions normally use their jaws to grab prey like zebras and wildebeests and suffocate them
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

catsi563 wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:53 am Heres an HD version because that Epicness deserves to be viewed in high Def
Jesus- the way that music SOARS as the specter of Mufasa slowly marches forward. It's just EPIC. And then JAMES EARL JONES starts talking, and brings shame to anyone who ever felt themselves masculine before. Taking one of nature's most majestic-looking creatures and making THIS out of them is just insane.
MorganBravestone

Post by MorganBravestone »

You know, James Earl Jones described getting that voice in an interview once. Apparently, sometime when he was twelve his voice changed overnight. Like, the rest of puberty happened more gradually, over the next five to seven years, but his voice just plummeted straight from 'twelve-year-old' to 'Mufasa' and stayed that way. Voice didn't crack or waver, just went to bed a child, woke up as Darth Vader. He was actually embarrassed by it! So much so, that he spent the whole year pretty much pretending to be mute. Like, imagine a twelve year-old Silent Bob, from Jay and Silent Bob, but then when he does talk, it sounds like the ghost of your dead lion father laying down wisdom from the stars.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:00 am
Jabroniville wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:07 pm -Matthew Broderick is much more famous, largely as a modern-day musical man. That, and the fact that he's married to what South Park describes as "a transvestite donkey-witch", leads to a lot of aspersions towards his sexuality. That said, he's had a hell of a career doing them, starring in The Producers most notably, but having a film career... full of minor productions. But to most, he'll always be Ferris Bueller, the manipulative shitbag friend who uses others for his own amusement.
To each his own, I guess. I remember him mostly as the thief Philippe "The Mouse" Gaston in Ladyhawke.
You've never watched LadyHawke?

This is a really big loss of nerd-cred, my friend.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Woodclaw wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:10 am
Jabroniville wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:00 am

You've never watched LadyHawke?

This is a really big loss of nerd-cred, my friend.
Fantasy movie with a younger Rutger Hauer and Michelle Pfeiffer in it enjoyable if a bit cheesy one of my favorite movies actually, Uses a sort of rock soundtrack combined with orchestral music by Alan Parsons.

neat stuff.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

Of course, the video game versions of Jack give him quite the upgrade. In the PS2 game, Oogie's Revenge, that is also a sequel to the movie, Jack is given a couple alternate forms, as well as the "Soul Robber" weapon which is sort of like a whip. While in Kingdom Hearts as a party member, he primarily uses elemental magic attacks, and is quite powerufl.
Jabroniville

Timon & Pumbaa

Post by Jabroniville »

"And IF he falls... in LOVE tonight...
It can be a-SSUMMED..."

"His carefree days... with US are history."

"In SHORT- our PAL... is DOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMED!!" *they break down crying*

TIMON
Played By:
Nathan Lane
Role: The Carefree Guy, The Sidekick Critter
PL 1 (49)
STRENGTH
-4 STAMINA -3 AGILITY -2
FIGHTING -2 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Athletics 10 (+6)
Close Combat (Bite) 1 (+4)
Expertise (Survival) 4 (+4)
Expertise (Singing/Dancing) 7 (+7)
Perception 3 (+3)
Persuasion 3 (+6)

Advantages:
Close Attack 5, Improved Initiative

Powers:
"Natural Weapons- Teeth" Strength-Damage +1 [1]

"Small Size" Shrinking 12 (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [25]
(-3 Strength, -1 Speed, +6 Defenses, +12 Stealth, -6 Intimidation)

Offense:
Unarmed +3 (-4 Damage, DC 11)
Bite +4 (-3 Damage, DC 12)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +4 (DC 14), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness -3, Fortitude +0, Will +5

Complications:
Responsibility (Hakuna Matata)- Timon wants to live a life free or responsibiltiy, worries or problems.
Relationship (Simba & Pumbaa)- They're knuckleheads from old times.

Total: Abilities: -10 / Skills: 28--14 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 29 / Defenses: 9 (49)

PUMBAA
Played By:
Ernie Sabella
Role: The Carefree Guy, The Sidekick Critter, The Dumb Guy, The Farty Guy
PL 6 (57)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -1 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+6)
Expertise (Survival) 4 (+4)
Expertise (Singing/Dancing) 4 (+4)
Intimidation 5 (+5)
Perception 2 (+2)
Persuasion 3 (+3)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Improved Critical (Tusks), Last Stand, Power Attack

Powers:
"Animal Physiology" Speed 2 [2]
"Natural Weapons- Tusks" Strength-Damage +1 [1]

"Swine Rage" (All Powers- Flaws: Fades)
Enhanced Strength 2 [2]
Enhanced Stamina 2 [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Tusks +6 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Raging Unarmed +6 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Raging Tusks +6 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +4 (DC 14), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +5

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Warthogs cannot use their hooves to easily manipulate objects.
Responsibility (Hakuna Matata)- Timon wants to live a life free or responsibiltiy, worries or problems.
Relationship (Simba & Timon)- They're knuckleheads from old times.
Temper- Warthogs are heavily-prone to outbursts, and will charge the first thing that annoys them. If you call him a pig, you will die. Horribly.

Total: Abilities: 22 / Skills: 22--11 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 10 / Defenses: 10 (57)

-Timon & Pumbaa were PERFECT for this movie- replacing the worry-wart sidekick types with a pair of sly, cynical dudes who just want to hang out and live like Baloo (Hakuna Matata is basically The Bear Necessities for the new generation, and both are oddly treated like idealized ways of life by Disney as a whole... while the movies point out how childish and irresponsible such lifestyles actually are). Nathan Lane's sarcastic acting style fits Timon perfectly, and Ernie Sabella plays a great "Dopey Sidekick" character. They preach their lackadaisical, "no worries" lifestyle to young cub Simba, and he grows up to be a fun-loving weisenheimer like the two of them. The funny thing is, they're not actually in the movie THAT MUCH, and they straight-up "Montage" past all of Simba's aging during the span, so you're kind of left to assume they're all best buds. To be fair, they have real chemistry, and you still pretty much buy it. And it's funny how after all their preaching, they just end up risking their lives in the Pridelands.

-These guys led to a LOT of "Those Two Guys" partnerships of buddies, though they hardly invented the formula (they share more than a little in common with Rosencrantz and Gildenstern from Hamlet, for example)- The Road to El Dorado more or less got made because the creators wanted to see "The two guys everyone always likes" as the stars.

-Timon ain't much good in a fight (he can catch bugs- that's about it), but if you cheese off Pumbaa enough, you're history, as a group of dumb Hyenas discovered.

About the Performers: As a kid, this was Nathan Lane's "Big Break" to me, but he'd been in stuff beforehand (largely musicals, like the revival of Guys and Dolls). He's basically in all sorts of Broadway shows these days, doing that much more than film acting, largely because he's so fabulously gay that he can't really play anything other than gay men on the big screen... and also he's an old chubster. But he's been in EVERYTHING- the Drag Queen in The Birdcage is one of those "Hey, he really CAN act" things, and he did a big star turn in The Producers on Broadway, as well as countless other huge hits in the theatre world (including big-name revivals of just about everything). He's honestly one of the most well-known and recognized actors of this entire cast, which is REALLY saying something.

-Ernie Sabella is much less well-known, but has done a LOT of theatre work. Him being cast alongside Lane in The Lion King was actually a bit of a casting gag, as they'd paired up in Guys and Dolls- this made them so linked that they also performed together in Mouse Hunt and A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum. Generally less busy than Lane, he was able to perform Pumbaa for all 85 episodes of their TV series (Lane only voiced Timon in the first handful). Saved By The Bell fans might remember him as Leah Remini's father; an uptight resort manager who employed the main cast.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

The Hyenas

Post by Jabroniville »

SHENZI & BANZAI
Played by:
Whoopi Goldberg & Cheech Marin
Role: Evil Minions, Dumb Mooks
PL 5 (34)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 3 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -1 AWARENESS -1 PRESENCE -1

Skills:
Athletics 5 (+7)
Close Combat (Bite) 2 (+5)
Expertise (Survival) 3 (+2)
Intimidation 6 (+5)
Perception 5 (+4)
Stealth 3 (+5)

Advantages:
Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Bite), Improved Trip, Teamwork

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 4 (Low-Light Vision, Acute & Extended Scent, Tracking-Scent) [4]
Speed 2 (8 mph) [2]

"Hyena's Bite" Strength-Damage +3 (Extras: Penetrating 5) [8]

Offense:
Unarmed +3 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Bite +5 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +2

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Hyenas cannot use their paws to easily manipulate objects.
Reputation (Evil)- Cultures all over the world fear and hate the Hyena, disliking their creepy laughter. Even animal-lovers tend to dislike them.
Enemy (Lions)- Lions & Hyenas have a dark relationship with each other, frequently killing each others' infants, and stealing kills.
Responsibility (Scar)- Scar has promised the Hyenas a world of

Total: Abilities: -6 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 14 / Defenses: 10 (34)

-The Hyenas were fantastic villains in The Lion King, played by great character actors with distinct voices. They were so effective that Hyena Enthusiasts are known to HATE the film, because it was the ultimate portrayal of a generally nasty animal with gross habits as ULTIMATE VILLAINS (when you think about it, real-life Lions are just as bad), which has added to the already-large amount of anti-Hyena attitudes out there. But really, THEY DIG UP HUMAN CORPSES AND EAT THEM. Screw Hyenas.

-Shenzi & Banzai fit the Elite Hyena build I have, but are smarter (but not, uh... too much so- note how they're actually less wise, because the Hyenas in the movies did a lot of dumb things, and overhunt their lands down to nothing). PL 5 is enough to do some damage to Simba & Nala (and any one Hyena would easily have killed Simba as a cub), but one-on-one, it's not even close. The more common Baseline Hyenas are only PL 4, which is enough to do damage in large numbers (upwards of ten attack Simba at once).

-Ed is even DUMBER than his friends, dropping all the Mental Stats by 2, and making 28 points. He's still just as dangerous at fighting.

About the Performers: Whoopi Goldberg is of course iconic, with her distinctive (weird) appearance making her recognizable even today. Back in the '80s, she was a HUGE star, owing to her inventive comedy, her bluntness, and her willingnes to say exactly what she believed. Taking perhaps some of the most ill-advised screen roles in human history (I've seen some good actors take shit work, but THEODORE REX? Though to her credit, she tried to back out, and ended up pocketing like $7 million for it- not a bad way to kill a career, I guess) pretty much sank her movie career dead, but her voice is still respected. Cheech Marin's distinctive high-pitched Latino accent made him a big star in the Cheech and Chong movies, which he parlayed into a lot of Voice Acting, and even some Regular Acting (as Don Johnson's partner on Nash Bridges for years). He was the chihuahua in Oliver and Company, and played Banzai here. Ed was portrayed by Disney Legend Jim Cummings, whose raspy voice was used in pretty much everything they've done since 1989. Primarily he's known for being the current voice of Pooh, Tigger, and others, but also lent his voice to Don Karnage in TaleSpin, among other shows.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: The Hyenas

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:06 pm They were so effective that Hyena Enthusiasts-
. . . . wow, really? I guess there is a fandom for everything.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.