D&D5e The Golden Wheel Turns (IC thread)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Ysariel

Re: D&D5e The Golden Wheel Turns (IC thread)

Post by Ysariel »

Célestina (Tina)

Tina nods, absorbing what the elder tells her. She does give Sariel a very incredulous look that all but says "are you serious?!" at the discussion of being turned into a potted plant. Perhaps there were forms of education more terrifying than the Seminary and its famously stern tutors.

"Thank you very much for your help, Elder Abel, miss Rachel," she says with a bow. "With with Lady's blessing, perhaps we'll be able to learn something useful and prevent any harm coming to your people."

"Rest assured we'll do so, Constable," she tells Sullivan with a smile. She cannot help but think that the goblins' new chief has to be incredibly shortsighted. One does not stir up trouble this close to such a power as Tychestoile. Perhaps there is a way he or she can be made to come to their senses.

Tina turns to the sorceress. "I'm grateful for your help, Lady Sariel. Let's go to the markets and see if the others have concluded their business there. Perhaps they'll be willing to come, too." There was safety in numbers. Plus, she hadn't the foggiest idea how to track goblins through the woods if it came to that. Perhaps Ector or Evans would be useful there.

"Then we should stop by Lady Una's cottage before heading into the woods. But if she's not around, I suggest heading out to the shrine at once. We don't know when she'll be back, and I'd like to pick up the trail before it goes cold."

She waits for Sariel to finish speaking with the Elder, Rachel, and Constable Sullivan, if desired, before leaving for the markets.
EnigmaticOne

Post by EnigmaticOne »

Evan Roadbound

"Then we eat." Evan deferred to Ector as the more experienced guide.
Games
Imago in New Vindicators Academy of Europe
stavaros_the_arcane

Post by stavaros_the_arcane »

Arkrite wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:37 pm Ector Blagettal
HP: 8/11

Ector looks over to Evan, "Ector thinks is good idea. Am getting hungry."
EnigmaticOne wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:52 pm Evan Roadbound

"Then we eat." Evan deferred to Ector as the more experienced guide.
Auld MacDonell packs up his stall and leads you towards the Green Dragon Tavern, Bingo happily at his heels. Just as you reach the Tavern, Bingo turns around and barks at something behind you. As you turn around you see Celestina and Sariel headed your general direction.

"Friends of yours?" Auld asks.
Ysariel wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:05 pm Célestina (Tina)

Tina turns to the sorceress. "I'm grateful for your help, Lady Sariel. Let's go to the markets and see if the others have concluded their business there. Perhaps they'll be willing to come, too." There was safety in numbers. Plus, she hadn't the foggiest idea how to track goblins through the woods if it came to that. Perhaps Ector or Evans would be useful there.

"Then we should stop by Lady Una's cottage before heading into the woods. But if she's not around, I suggest heading out to the shrine at once. We don't know when she'll be back, and I'd like to pick up the trail before it goes cold."

She waits for Sariel to finish speaking with the Elder, Rachel, and Constable Sullivan, if desired, before leaving for the markets.
As you leave the Elder's house you make your way to the Market area. You quickly spot Evan and Ector walking towards a tavern alongside an Elven Farmer and a very large dog. The dog turns around and barks in your direction causing the group to look your way.

This gives you the chance to catch up and reunite with your companions.

------------------

After a quick round of introductions, Farmer MacDonell leads you all into the Green Dragon and secures a table for you. The tavern is bustling with locals and you stick out quite a bit, leading you to get more that a few stares in your direction. Auld excuses himself for a moment to "pay his respects to the owner" and greet some of the other patrons. Bingo seems perfectly happy to stay at the table with you.

Auld goes to talk with a blonde middle-aged human woman in a blue gown and linen apron working the bar, they smile and laugh like old friends.

A teenage girl with curly black hair, who looks a great deal like the woman Auld is speaking to moves from table to table: taking orders or delivering platters. She looks completely and utterly bored out of her mind. She hasn't made it to your table yet.

A pair of old men in farming clothes sit at one table, nursing their mugs of ale and shooting looks in your direction when they think you aren't looking. You're pretty sure the weaselly faced one is giving you the stink-eye.

At another table a man and his young daughter sit, a modest pile of silver and copper coins between them. They seem to be counting the coins, the girl beaming at her father as they do.

Elsewhere a stout woman in sawdust covered clothes sits grumbling and nursing a swollen thumb.
--------------

You have some time to chat and catch up until someone comes to take your order.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Ector Blagettal

"Ah," Ector sighs as he sits down, "Is good to be off one's feet. Good food, good drink, good friends. Is good day."

Ector pats Bingo on the back and looks around. He frowns slightly at the man and child counting their money out in the open like that. His Papa told him early that one never counts money in public if he isn't hoping to have a knife in his back on the way home.

He made a mental note to keep an eye on anybody following them out before turning back to the others.

"So, we are finding mustard with our new farmer friend, so Ector would say that shopping trip was big success," He smiles, "How was trip for the Ladies?"
Ysariel

Post by Ysariel »

Célestina (Tina)

"We learned much," Tina says with a satisfied smile, sitting down and setting her kite shield on the floor beside her, her sword across her lap. She tells Ector and Evans everything that she and Sariel learned at the elders' house, in particular: the identity of the goblin bandits as belonging to the Howling Hills tribe, which had more or less peacefully coexisted with the locals until recently; the fact that the wolf head token meant they acted with the tribe's approval; and the fact that the goblins may also have visited a nearby tomb of the Delian Order.

"Elder Abel has given us maps showing the location of the tomb. I plan to call on Auntie -- I mean Lady -- Una, a wise woman living at the forest's edge, for advice before paying the tomb a visit and seeing if it has been desecrated. Old heroes deserve to rest in peace, and I hate to think what would happen should some aspiring necromancer chance upon the place."

She looks around the table. "I can't offer any great reward to entice you to come with me. I am but a knight-errant on her quest, not a Lady of a great house. Perhaps the thrill of adventure will be enough?" she says hopefully.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Ector Blagettal

"Huh. Friendly goblins, is not so friendly. "

He shrugs and sits back, "Ector is not much for questing and adventure. Not great knight, only simple cook. But was planning on going out looking for wild herbs anyways, so-"

He considers for a moment before his scarred face breaks into a gruesome grin, "Eh, why not? Is more fun with company, yes?"
Psistrike

Post by Psistrike »

Sariel Amastacia

"Well, I for one wish to meet this Lady Una. I might start to get answers about the Sidhe, ones I've waited 40 years for. Uhm, a question for you Lady Célestina. When I mentioned being transformed into a potted plant, why did you give me that strange look? Wait, most are trained in their chosen profession, you didn't think I meant I had a teacher who transformed me into a potted plant, did you? Once I was given wild magic I was taught the basic knowledge of the arcane and history, but I had to learn how to wield it on my own. Anything more than the use of my cantrips, use of my two strongest spells, have a chance of causing a surge of wild magic which can cause many things.

I was sent out into the world from my village to learn more about wild magic and how to control it when it caused an incident. A scroll with celestial writing on it was brought to us for translation, worth a lot for the job, but when I cast comprehend languages the wild magic surged, anything I touched for the next minute that was flammable burst into flames. I've had a lot of weird stuff happen while learning to wield this wild magic, turning into a potted plant for a minute after slaying some orcs who attacked me with magic missiles is just one of them. It is one reason I wish to learn all I can about the Sidhe, to figure out a way to teach my godmother a lesson about screwing with my life. And I'm babbling again, sorry."
Sariel blushes a bright pink as she goes quiet once more.
EnigmaticOne

Post by EnigmaticOne »

Evan Roadbound

"I did not come out into the world for material rewards."[/color'] Evan smiled. "New experiences are always worthwhile."
Games
stavaros_the_arcane

All around the tavern life bustles on like usual.

The serving girl delivers stops by the nearby table where the father and daughter have just finished counting their coin. She gives a sour look and says "What d'you want." in a rather curt manner.

This gets her a glare from the woman Auld is speaking to and a disapproving 'tch' sound conveying the weight of parental disapproval even across the noisy room. After writing down that table's order, the girl makes her way over to you.

Bingo gets up from where he enjoyed getting pats from Ector to rub up against the girl. After nearly getting knocked over by the massive hound, the girl grumbles under her breath trying to get the dog to leave her alone, which he won't until she surrenders and scratches him behind the ears. At which point Bingo goes back to his spot with a happy bark. Over at the bar, Auld and the woman at the bar chuckle at the spectacle.

"Stupid Mutt." The serving girl mutters before addressing you in the most saccharine and obviously faked sweet voice you have ever heard. (so fake you don't even need an insight check to tell its BS.) "Hello I'm Brecca, and what will you be having? Our menu is on the board, but if you have requests we'll try to accommodate. If you need more time I can take drink orders now and come back."

The menu in question is written in chalk on a large slate on the wall:

Breakfast: Fried Perch, Curds, Chicken Eggs, Black Berries, Oatmeal 3 sp
Lunch: Leg of Mutton, Chicken Eggs, Potato, Apple 4 sp
Supper: Mixed Grill, Turnips, Onions, Corn Pone, Applesauce 5 sp
Snacks: Curds, strawberries, Flatbread 2 sp
Drinks: Beer, Wine, Mead, Spirits, Juice, Milk, Tea.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Ector Blagettal

Ector happily orders himself a selection of dinner and some mead.

"So, magic is acting strange? Am sorry. Ector is not knowning much about that," He pauses then looks thoughtful, "Well, was one time followers of Slog had unreliable magics... But am thinking your situation is unrelated to The Great Bender."
EnigmaticOne

Post by EnigmaticOne »

Evan Roadbound

"This bender, they were that good at bending magic?" Evan asked, though whether he was serious or taking the piss was hard to tell. "A Bender the Magnificent?"
Games
Ysariel

Post by Ysariel »

Célestina (Tina)
Psistrike wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:24 am " Uhm, a question for you Lady Célestina. When I mentioned being transformed into a potted plant, why did you give me that strange look? Wait, most are trained in their chosen profession, you didn't think I meant I had a teacher who transformed me into a potted plant, did you?"
"Please don't call me that," Tina says with a smile. "I've been called Célestina, Celestina (there is a difference), Celestine, Celesti, Celeste, Celestian, Celestia and Celestianna. Tina will suffice and is preferred." A pause. "And yes, that is what I assumed. That you were taught your art from birth. Were you not?"

She listens intently to Sariel's speech. When she does speak it is in a measured tone.

"I have heard of your kind, though only through distant rumor. They were always described as harbingers of disaster and death, their uncontrollable sorcery wreaking terrible havoc. You seem pretty harmless so far, except to hapless bandits," she notes. Sariel was either very trusting of them, or very naive. It was hard to tell how recent acquaintances might react to being told the kind of consequences her wild magic brought.

"Babble on as much as you wish," Tina finishes with a reassuring smile, figuring it can only be useful to know more about this strange practicioner of magic. "The Sidhe. I assume your godmother was one of them? And gave you wild magic... to make a mess of your life? While it does seem like a double-edged sword, I have to admit I cannot understand the principle of cursing one's enemies with great powers."
EnigmaticOne wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:41 am "I did not come out into the world for material rewards."[/color'] Evan smiled. "New experiences are always worthwhile."
Arkrite wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:44 am "So, magic is acting strange? Am sorry. Ector is not knowning much about that," He pauses then looks thoughtful, "Well, was one time followers of Slog had unreliable magics... But am thinking your situation is unrelated to The Great Bender."

"Full glad I am to know you will accompany us," she nods to Evan, then tilts her head questioningly at Ector. "The Great Bender? Pray tell what they were a bender of."

stavaros_the_arcane wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:19 am "Stupid Mutt." The serving girl mutters before addressing you in the most saccharine and obviously faked sweet voice you have ever heard. (so fake you don't even need an insight check to tell its BS.) "Hello I'm Brecca, and what will you be having? Our menu is on the board, but if you have requests we'll try to accommodate. If you need more time I can take drink orders now and come back."

Tina orders the leg of mutton and a beer for herself. "And another round of beer for that table, on my account," she says, nodding in the direction of the pair of old men in farmer's clothes, which she was fairly certain had been giving her and her companions dirty looks.

Tina was very curious as to this unwarranted hostility and felt the best way to disarm it was with a gesture of casual friendship. It was more than possible they might interpret a young woman buying them drinks in the wrong way, of course. She could get Ector or Evans to do it instead, but she was a Knight of House Alienor and she would fight her own battles. And she was no stranger to dealing with difficult men.

She counts out the money, leaving an extra silver coin for the girl as a tip -- more out of pity for the enforced acting session than out of appreciation for good service.

OOC
Tina orders 4sp for the food and 1sp as a tip for the serving girl, so that's 5sp spent.

She'll also order beer for herself and the 2 farmers (=3 servings), but no prices are listen for the drinks. How much is that? :D
stavaros_the_arcane

Ysariel wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:48 pm Célestina (Tina)

Tina orders the leg of mutton and a beer for herself. "And another round of beer for that table, on my account," she says, nodding in the direction of the pair of old men in farmer's clothes, which she was fairly certain had been giving her and her companions dirty looks.

Tina was very curious as to this unwarranted hostility and felt the best way to disarm it was with a gesture of casual friendship. It was more than possible they might interpret a young woman buying them drinks in the wrong way, of course. She could get Ector or Evans to do it instead, but she was a Knight of House Alienor and she would fight her own battles. And she was no stranger to dealing with difficult men.

She counts out the money, leaving an extra silver coin for the girl as a tip -- more out of pity for the enforced acting session than out of appreciation for good service.

OOC
Tina orders 4sp for the food and 1sp as a tip for the serving girl, so that's 5sp spent.

She'll also order beer for herself and the 2 farmers (=3 servings), but no prices are listen for the drinks. How much is that? :D
OOC: sorry about that, the drinks was a last minute addition to an existing menu. Drink prices: Beer/ale, Mead, and Wine (common) 4 cp per mug/glass, 2 sp per pitcher. Common Spirits 1sp per glass. Tea 3 cp per cup, 1 sp for a pot. Juice and Milk are 2 cp. I'm not going to be this exact with every meal so don't worry about it too much.

IC:

Celestina's tip gets the first genuine reaction out of Brecca since she got to your table, a real smile flashes across her lips before her 'customer service face' comes back up. She dutifully takes down the tables food and drink order (OOC: I presume Evan will be ordering one of the non-alcohol options.) before heading off pass the order to the kitchen.

As she leaves Auld comes back to the table. "Well I see you've met Brecca already, managed to worm your way into her good graces too I reckon. She's a nice lass but she gets a bit moody working the family business under her ma and pa's watchful eyes. I was just talking with her mother, Giselle the owner," He gestures to the woman behind the bar. "commiserating about dealing with moody youngsters. Most of my daughters went through that phase in some way, shape or form although no two of them exactly alike." He chuckles fondly.

At about this time you see Brecca making her way across the room a mug of beer in each hand headed towards the two farmers' table. Auld notices and his smile widened. "Oh this should be a sight."

The weaselly one that had been shooting nasty looks your way is currently arguing with the woman at the other table with the injured thumb.

"Ooh that's a nasty looking thumb there Morgouse, you sure you know your way around a hammer rather than a spindle?" The old man sneers mockingly.

Morgouse snorts and glares back. "Did this mending the yoke for YOUR horse, Caroc the lazy. You want to mend your own property, just say the word."

Having clearly lost this round of verbal sparing, Caroc quiets and turns back to his own table just as the drinks Celestina paid for arrive. The two men look confused before their faces run a gamut of emotions before they look across to your table. Caroc looks like he just bit into something sour, his companion looks like he's assessing the group of you before coming to a decision. He raises his mug towards Celestina and gives a small smile.

Auld is grinning like a fool. "Oh that's brilliant. That's going to be the talk of the town for a week. Caroc and Maddoc are good men but a bit slow to trust outsiders, especially adventuring types. Also Caroc's a bit of a mean crotchety bastard if you'll pardon my dwarven, likes to run his mouth and needs to be humbled every so often. And with that little act of kindness you took him down a couple of pegs, its not every day a high-born who's group you've been giving the stink eye to buys you a round. I think something like that will put most of the more skittish folk at ease around you."

Brecca returns with your drinks and meals. The food is quite good, while Ector is an excellent cook he's been using roadside cooking gear, and there is something about a proper kitchen that just adds to the quality of a good home-style cooked meal.

OOC: Feel free to keep interacting with each other and the villagers, when you guys are ready your characters can turn in for the night and I'll skip you guys to the next day so you can set off for the tomb, etc.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Ector Blagettal

"Is sensitive story, has lead to minor schism. Is because nobody is quite sure how it started. Some think that Slog is wanting to be god of libation. Others say was a drinking contest between Slog and the god of alcohol. Some believe that Slog found pure ambrosia or quintessence and sampled it to know how best to cook with it."

Ector looks down at the table and shakes his head sadly, "Has started many bar fights. Is quite sad."

"Only thing known for sure was Slog's followers had magic problems. Ector ask for protective blessing. Ector got snake to face. It was very nice snake, but was a little bitey. All over Slogs followers ask for spells, but spells get bent out of shape. Reality get bent out of shape. And so now we reffer to it as the great bender."

"Also we call excessive drinking in one day as 'going on bender'."
EnigmaticOne

Post by EnigmaticOne »

Evan Roadbound

"Yes," Evan murmurred, "I am glad I abstain from intoxicants."
Games