Jab’s Builds! (Sword of Sodan! Nightmare Creatures/Circus! Lawnmower Man!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
HalloweenJack

Re: Jab's Builds! (Ariel! Ursula! Triton! Beauty and the Beast! Belle!)

Post by HalloweenJack »

MacynSnow wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:35 am Dame Angela Lansbury also starred in Nanny McFhee, Bednobs&Broomsticks, The Manchurian Canidate, Death on The Nile, Gypsy, The King and I, National Velvet(alongside lifelong Friend Elizabeth Taylor), Till The Clouds Roll By, The Three Musketeers, Samson and Delilah and Mutiny.
What? So i happen to like English Actresses in their prime....>_>

nothing wrong with that. she was a hottie back in the day. good actress too. to me, she'll always be the witch in Bedknobs and Broomsticks

it's like when i was watching Game of Thrones and realized Grandma Tyrell was Emma Peel back in the day
greycrusader

Re: Jab's Builds! (Ariel! Ursula! Triton! Beauty and the Beast! Belle!)

Post by greycrusader »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:35 am
greycrusader wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:49 am M*A*S*H was sort of weird in following the opposite series arc of most comedies/comedic-dramas, as the show got far LESS broad and farcical as it went on; the replacement characters (B.J., Col. Potter, Winchester) ALL being more fully-realized and believable than their predecessors (in fact, Larry Linville left precisely because he felt the character of Frank Burns had descended into simple-minded buffoonery). In addition, "Hot Lips" and Klinger both matured and grew beyond their initial one-joke status.

Oddly, David Ogden Stiers and Alan Alda were the ONLY actors whose careers seemed to have any real longevity past M*A*S*H, despite the monster hit status and critical acclaim of the show.

All my best.
It's kind of odd to watch the show and see that. Most of the actors who left the show early had infamously poor careers- some admit they'd have stuck around if they'd known it'd have gone on for another eight years!

I think Klinger & Radar's actors ran into the "typecast" problem- neither was leading man material. Mulcahey was a bit part. And Margaret was... well, as my old roommate said, "that was the last time a woman like THAT would be the Hot Chick of a show"- she was believable as "Army Hot", but she had no chance of getting a big role later on.
Yeah, some shows, like The Office (American version) launch LOTS of careers-other long-running shows? Somehow the stars just fade away and never get much career exposure again.

I mean, anyone seen Phillip Michael Thomas lately?
FuzzyBoots

Re: Jab's Builds! (Beauty and the Beast! Belle! The Beast!)

Post by FuzzyBoots »

And, of course, there was the infamous case of Adam West who had difficulty getting people to see him as any other role. Or heck, Mark Hammil (yes, I know, not a TV show).
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

FuzzyBoots wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:44 pm And, of course, there was the infamous case of Adam West who had difficulty getting people to see him as any other role. Or heck, Mark Hammil (yes, I know, not a TV show).
Oh yeah, I mean, Mark Hammil will never be anything but the Joker. Poor guy ;)
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

Yeah, and he even did a live-action version of the Joker...namely, the Trickster in the modern-day Flash show. Of course, Hamill's career got derailed by a serious car accident (and Carrie Fisher's by her substance abuse problems). Still, both kept working as actors. Then there are shows like Fame from the 1980s, which was pretty popular and had a decent run-but NONE of the actors (aside from the adult supporting cast) really had any high profile roles to speak of after that. Hard to explain.

Jab, I'd forgotten how formidable Beast was in the movie-I mean, Gaston is no pushover-the guy really does look "AS BIG AS A BARGE" in the film-but Beast overwhelms him in hand to hand combat, though the oafish villain does give him a few tough moments. Definitely in the first tier of Disney good guys, right behind Elsa and Hercules.

All my best.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

It'd be interesting trying to make a "Justice League/Avengers" type squad of the non-anthropomorphic Disney films. Most of the animated films really aren't "action" shows, though there is usually some action elements in each film.

Raw power wise, the Genie is likely the most powerful Disney hero, even with the downgrade he received for the animated series. After him, Hercules is the most powerful in raw physical might, while Elsa is the most powerful in terms of the kind of scope her ice powers have. Mauii makes for an interesting balance between the two, since his various mythology implies he'd be as powerful as Herc, but in practice he seems more like a Gargoyles character whose magic hook makes him a contender. It's possible the hook allowed for a lot of feats and would let him hang with the other two. He certainly had some epic fights with some very giant monsters.

After those three, you have folks like the Incredibles, who are pretty solid as a lower-tier superhero team. Though even on a "lower" team, Mr. Incredible is lifting train engines that can weight hundreds of tons. After them, you Beast or the various Gargoyles from the Disney series of the same name, and while the Beast vs Goliath would almost certainly go to Goliath, the way Beast handled Gaston when he got serious reminded me of how some of the other Gargoyles handle non-skilled humans. Likewise, Baymax seems about right for a "strong" Gargoyles opponent. Ralph can break almost anything with a punch, but that seems to be less about raw strength than his fists having some kind of innate "shattering/sundering/wrecking" quality, so I wouldn't put him much stronger than Goliath or Baymax.

And after them it's mostly skilled normals. Aladdin is an acrobatic trickster, Philip is a front line sword and shield fighter, Mulan is a clever martial artist, the Big Hero 6 team are normals with some tech devices, Merrida is a solid archer, Venelope has her racing skills and teleporting power, Callaghan is an expert soldier, Felix is good at jumping and fixing stuff, Rapunzel can heal, Peter Pan can fly and fight, etc.

Oddly enough, if I was going to pick someone to lead this group, I'd go with Tron. Based off of his films and animated series, Tron is basically a hybrid of Capt. America and Batman. While Jab didn't write him up, I'd say he makes a solid case for PL 10 or 11, which is very high for a Disney-verse character.

Unfortunately, given that the Princesses are generally not action types, most of them would either be "base staff" or just not get involved. Belle would be great for research and "person at the computer" type, but Aurora, Snow White, Ariel, Anna, and the rest really aren't action hero material.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Gaston

Post by Jabroniville »

GASTON
Played by:
Richard White
Role: The Physical Embodiment of Manliness, Male Chauvinist, Great White Hunter
PL 8 (117)
STRENGTH
4 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+8)
Deception 2 (+5, +9 Attractive)
Expertise (Singing & Dancing) 8 (+11)
Expertise (Hunting) 8 (+8)
Expertise (Douchebaggery) 8 (+8)
Expertise (Decorating) 6 (+6) (Flaws: Requires Antlers)
Ranged Combat ("Expectorating!") 2 (+14)
Intimidation 2 (+5)
Perception 5 (+5)
Persuasion 2 (+5, +9 Attractive)
Stealth 2 (+6)

Advantages:
Attractive 2, Benefit 3 (Town Hero), Equipment 2 (Musket, Bow & Arrow, Knife), Fast Grab, Great Endurance, Improved Aim, Improved Critical (Knife, Unarmed) 2, Inspire, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 10, Takedown 2

Powers:
"Incredible Manliness" (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect)
"Every Last Inch of Me's Covered With HAIR!" Immunity 1 (Cold) [0.5]
"Eats Five Dozen Eggs" Immunity 1 (Over-Eating) [0.5]

"No One _______ Like Gaston!"
Enhanced Advantages 2: Beginner's Luck, Jack-Of-All-Trades [2]

Equipment:
"Bow & Arrow" Blast 4 (8) -- (10)
  • AE: "Musket" Blast 6 (Flaws: Reloading is a Full-Round Action) (Inaccurate -1) (6)
  • AE: "Knife" Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Improved Critical) (2)
Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Knife +10 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Bow & Arrow +12 (+4 Ranged Damage, DC 19)
Musket +10 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +4, Fortitude +6, Will +4

Complications:
Relationship (Belle)- Even though she's "odd" and has a strange father, Belle is the most beautiful girl in town (and that's counting The Bimbettes!), and THAT makes her the best. And doesn't Gaston deserve the best?
Responsibility (Positively Primeval)- Gaston is a bit perturbed that his intended wife has such dangerous habits as READING BOOKS. "It's not RIGHT for women to read; They start getting IDEAS... and THINKING"). He wants his wife to be a foot-masseuse and baby-popper-outer, and nothing else.
Obsession ("NO ONE says 'no' to GASTON!")- Gaston is tall, strong and handsome, and is worshipped by every man and woman in town. That he does not get his way on something drives him NUTS, and he's compelled to get his way by force. His obsession over Belle eventually leads him down the path of sheer malevolance, hunting down The Beast and trying to mount his head on Gaston's wall.
Hatred (Cucks)

Total: Abilities: 54 / Skills: 46--23 / Advantages: 27 / Powers: 3 / Defenses: 10 (117)

-Gaston is a brilliant choice for a villain- Disney's obsession with portraying huntsmen as murderous monsters is well-known, but to portray him as a grinning, barrel-chested bad-ass with a narcissistic streak that borders on the epic? Now THAT is great. What's funny is that he's one of the least-powerful villains, especially compared to many of the other Epics- Jafar, Ursula, Maleficent and more are much more powerful figures. But Gaston represents that darkest form of malevolence- the HUMAN kind. Whereas most of those Large Hams are sorcerous beings who want power and domination over all they see, Gaston just wants a pretty wife and everyone to think he's alpha, and therein lies the danger: We could KNOW people like Gaston. His self-obsession rings true for anyone who watches pro athletes who believe their own hype, or those who got picked on and see the faces of their larger tormenters in Gaston's swell-chin-clefted face.

-Gaston simply ASSUMES that Belle's going to marry him, just because "only she, who's beautiful as ME!". He brags about how many children they'll have while disregarding and messing up her beloved books ("it's not RIGHT for women to read"), abuses his only actual friend, and the SECOND he's challenged in any way, he becomes almost murderously dangerous. He leads the villagers in a rousing rendition of "Kill the Beast!", basically inventing a personality for the character he didn't know existed for certain until right then ("He'll make off with your children in the night!"). And when he enters the castle, he leaves the villagers to their fates while calmly hunting down the Beast, shooting his defenseless foe in the back, then cruelly taunting him for several minutes ("Did you REALLY think she could LOVE you!?").

-Gaston is hoisted by his own petard in the movie- his stalling allows Belle to arrive back on the scene, at which point the Beast gains the will to fight back. At which point Gaston, Mr. Alpha Male, realizes how overpowered he is, and he's suddenly terrified, begging for his life like a coward. And he ends up killed because his own jealousy drove him mad and blinded him, and he fell off a cliff in a classic Disney Villain Death (initial plans were for him to fall off a cliff because Belle hit him with a rock, where he would be torn apart by the omnipresent Forest Wolves, but the animators felt it was too gruesome... so of course they used it for the NEXT Disney film). He only manages to fatally wound the Beast by taking advantage of his compassion and love for Belle, and dies screaming (with skulls animated into his pupils, just in case we want to freeze-frame).

-Gaston's hilarious Villain Song has since gone on to become a huge meme, and Face Characters performing him in the parks have even gained some attention, as they typically hire fairly muscular guys for the role (albeit with padded shirts), and they're instructed to act sexist towards female guests, and shame male guests in comparison to himself.

-Despite being a mere human, Gaston is remarkably strong- he can effortlessly lift THREE floozies above his head with a single arm; all while flexing with the other! He's good enough to mortally wound The Beast with only two shots (granted, both were on a Vulnerable target), but his natural hunting ability (with 18th century weapons, sure) makes him a bit of a danger.

About the Performer: Richard White has an oddly lacking IMDB & Wikipedia page, but has acted since the early '80s. Gaston is by far his biggest role, but he's done a lot of regional theatre.
MacynSnow

Re: Jab's Builds! (Belle! The Servants! The Beast! Gaston!)

Post by MacynSnow »

Gaston is by far my favorite Disney Villian.Not because of his power(Beast easily overpowers him when he get's his Spine back from Belle),or his Intelligence(he's little better than a Stooge in brain's.Now Cunning is another matter...),but because he's so HUMAN.While he and Captain Hook(for all his over the topness) weren't the most powerfully gifted,they made up for it with their sheer badassery(Pan was no slouch when it came to swordfighting and the Beast ain't no joke either).
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Also the way he so easily manipulates the crowd playing on their fears of the unknown is something else that is terrifying and REAL about Gaston. that pedagogue who uses peoples fears against them to manipulate them to get what he wants. He doesn't have to be smart when he can be underhanded and conniving. Getting the Asylum director to take Maurice into custody, fanning the flames of hate, trying to steamroll Belle with sheer force of personality.

Weve all seen people like this in real life, like I said earlier We all Know or have Known a Gaston, and that is what truly makes a great villain, not just an antagonist but a VILLAIN.

Because unlike the Usrulas and Jafars and Maleficients of the world, the Gastons of the world live right down the block.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

The funniest part is that in any other movie Gaston would probably wind up the hero.
Heck, Beauty and the Beast is hilarious in that Belle feels trapped, and is accosted by a closed minded over bearing brute who has every intention of using her for his own benefit. She is saved by... um... being trapped and is accosted by a closed minded over bearing brute who has every intention of using her for his own benefit.

There's even some arguments for Stockholm syndrome.

Really, if the movie had shifted slightly to Gaston feeling obligated to portray these features that everybody seems to celebrate, and have Belle show him that it's better to be himself... Well, just like the normal movie, just swap the hero for the villain.

And of course there's that tragic "You can change him" message built into this movie.

It's really a good one, though, and for all my griping it's probably one of my favorites.
But it is kind of funny if you step back and take a look at it ;~)
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

I always saw Gaston as Disney poking fun at the perception of the typical Disney Prince. He basically looks like someone took the princes from Snow White and Cinderella and gave them a massive case of testosterone poisoning.

In the way that Belle is an ultimate geek fantasy, Gaston is a perfect villain for geeks to hate. He is every entitled jerk jock and bully who was never told "no" his entire life and just expects to get his way. The medium fish in a small pond. And really, he could have had a foursome with three blonde busty babes who would have been exactly what he wanted and perfectly happy. But he didn't his way, and he just went on this downward spiral of increasingly evil acts until he self-destructs.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

LeFou

Post by Jabroniville »

LeFOU
Played by:
Jesse Corti
Role: The Physical Embodiment of Man-Crushing, Ugly Dumb Sidekick
PL 1 (18), PL 2 (18) Defenses
STRENGTH
-1 STAMINA 0 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 0 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -1 AWARENESS -1 PRESENCE -1

Skills:
Athletics 3 (+2)
Expertise (Ass-Kissing) 8 (+7)
Expertise (Singing & Dancing) 8 (+7)
Stealth 3 (+3)

Advantages:
None

Powers:
"Small Size" Shrinking 4 (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [9]
(-1 Strength & Speed, +2 Defenses, +4 Stealth, -2 Intimidation)

Offense:
Unarmed +0 (-1 Damage, DC 14)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +2 (DC 12), Parry +2 (DC 12), Toughness +0, Fortitude +1, Will +2

Complications:
Relationship (Gaston)- LeFou, like all the other men in town, worships Gaston, but brings it to a whole new level of homo-erotic man-crushing. Despite Gaston's near-constant abuse of LeFou, the little creep openly gushes about his boss, does his bidding without question (HOW long was he waiting outside that cottage again?), and tries to cheer him up with a big song & dance number when Gaston is depressed over being rejected.

Total: Abilities: -6 / Skills: 22--11 / Advantages: 0 / Powers: 9 / Defenses: 4 (18)

-"Hit LeFou as much as possible" came the directions to the animators. And hit LeFou they did. LeFou's all-consuming attraction for Gaston was epic and hilarious, especially considering Gaston wasn't like a king or anything- he was just the coolest guy in town. LeFou is basically like that little dog that constantly runs around the big dog talking about awesome he is, culminating in the most hilarious Disney song ever. The Live-Action Remake reimagines him as a fawning homosexual, played by Josh "When You Can't Afford Jack Black" Gad, who's becoming Disney Royalty after making Olaf such a successful cash-cow. Jesse Corti, who played him in the animated version, largely works as a voice actor, but has played a lot of bit parts.
Jabroniville

The Bimbettes

Post by Jabroniville »

That’s an... interesting way to use a water pump.

THE BIMBETTES (Claudia, Laura & Paula)
Played by:
Kath Soucie & Mary Kay Bergman
Role: Background Fanservice, Adoring Fangirls (to Gaston)
PL 1 (10)
STRENGTH
0 STAMINA 0 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 2 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -1 AWARENESS -1 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Expertise (Fawning Ho-Bags) 6 (+5)
Persuasion 2 (+4, +6 Attractive)

Advantages:
Attractive

Offense:
Unarmed +2 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +0 (DC 10), Parry +2 (DC 12), Toughness +0, Fortitude +0, Will +0

Complications:
Obsession (Gaston)

Total: Abilities: 4 / Skills: 8--4 / Advantages: 1 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 1 (10)

-The Bimbettes are a trio of girls (likely triplets) who fawn over Gaston the Town Hero, going on and on about how much they went to jump his bones. A true measure of Belle's eternal "OH MY GOD!"-ness is that Gaston ignores the advances of a TRIO OF FANSERVICE INCARNATE just to marry our heroine. None are particularly bright, though at least LeFou seems to find them attractive. There's a hilarious "blink and you'll miss it" sequence in the scene where they fawn over Gaston and fall over a water pump- the one in red shoves it down WITH HER BOOBS, which then fly upwards when the pump lifts the other way. Like, they just stuck that right in there.

About the Performers: Kath Soucie & Mary Kay Bergman don't get that much film work, but both are well into the "appear in every cartoon" phase of voice acting. Soucie has played Furry Icon Lola Bunny, Dexter's Mom, Sally Acorn, Phil & Lil, Maddie Fenton and countless others. Mary Kay Bergman is very beloved, especially after her suicide in the early 2000s- she was the voice of most of the female South Park characters for a time, having gotten her start as a replacement for Snow White and Daphne Blake. Grey DeLisle, the voice of Azula on Avatar, was basically her student, and took over Daphne as a tribute, on the urging of Mary Kay's widowed husband.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Arkrite wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:04 am The funniest part is that in any other movie Gaston would probably wind up the hero.
Heck, Beauty and the Beast is hilarious in that Belle feels trapped, and is accosted by a closed minded over bearing brute who has every intention of using her for his own benefit. She is saved by... um... being trapped and is accosted by a closed minded over bearing brute who has every intention of using her for his own benefit.

There's even some arguments for Stockholm syndrome.

Really, if the movie had shifted slightly to Gaston feeling obligated to portray these features that everybody seems to celebrate, and have Belle show him that it's better to be himself... Well, just like the normal movie, just swap the hero for the villain.

And of course there's that tragic "You can change him" message built into this movie.

It's really a good one, though, and for all my griping it's probably one of my favorites.
But it is kind of funny if you step back and take a look at it ;~)
Some important things make it non-stockholmy. Belle actually leaves when freed , and only feels sympathy for the Beast when he stops acting like an ass-biscuit.

But Gaston having those fatal flaws in spite of his studly exterior is what makes him a terrific villain- the inability to see his own flaws.
Jabroniville

Aladdin (Film)

Post by Jabroniville »

ALADDIN (1992):
Written by:
Ron Clements, John Muser, Ted Elliot, Terry Rossio, Burny Mattinson, Roger Allers, Joe Ranft, Daan Jippes, Kevin Harkey, Sue Nichols, Francis Glebas, Darrell Rooney, Larry Leker, James Fujii, Kirk Hanson, Kevin Lima, Rebecca Rees, David S. Smith, Chris Sanders, Brian Pimental, Patrick A. Ventura & Ed Gombert

Ya know, if you wanted to keep the hits coming after The Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast, you couldn't have done much better than Aladdin- instead of being a Princess Movie with a focus on the heroine, it's an action-adventure featuring a male protagonist, and is MUCH more comedic and wacky, with tons of slapstick, sidekicks and pop culture-based humor- you could call it the predecessor of Shrek. There's a lot of the "Standard Disney Formula" here, but under the unusual style of Arabic/Persian influences (The Thief and the Cobbler, a would-be mega-animation spectacular that flamed out miserably thanks to Executive Meddling and incompetence, was a major influence, but took too long to complete)- you have your Cute Animal Sidekick, The Princess Who Wants More, Effeminate Villain, People Showing Heart-Covered Boxer Shorts Despite This Being the Past, etc. But rarely do they all go together this well.

The Jasmine/Aladdin relationship is pretty typical of Disney films, but the Nostalgia Critic is right- they do have real chemistry. Plus, they're teenagers- of course they like each other immediately and go to insane lengths to hook up. Jafar is delightfully evil, Iago is funny (plenty of people despise Gilbert Gottfried, but I find his particular brand of grating-voice humor entertaining, especially as he became one of the best of the "off-color joke" comedians of the "Roast" era. The Sultan is a friendly dunderhead, and Abu does a good job as the Sidekick because he's the "Grumpy" of this film- the cynic who rips on everybody, instead of acting as a cutesy type.

In terms of Pure Fun, this may be one of the best Disney Movies- it really does throw in everything. It has SOME romance, but is much more focused on action sequences and adventure, so is more pleasing to male audiences. I always remember my mom loving the "Do you trust me?" line being echoed, which is what lets Jasmine in on "Prince Ali-Ababwa's" secret. The same scene is basically put into the Raimi Spider-Man films, albeit with a kiss instead of dialogue- it's the same impact, though.

Funny thing- that Magic Carpet went basically unrecognized as something special by me as a kid. Only looking at it NOW do I realize that animating such a thing would have been IMPOSSIBLE with traditional animation, and the CGI is pretty damn seamless (moreso than the Frank Welker Sand Cat Head, which sticks out a bit more). The whole "Aladdin is the Diamond In The Rough" plot device seems a bit unnecessary to me- couldn't it just have been chance that Jafar sent Aladdin is? He IS a thief, after all. Why does his Purity/Whatever matter for the overall plotline? The Cat's plan to trap Aladdin forever in the cave is pretty dumb when you think about the fact that he GAVE HIM A MAGIC GENIE LAMP at the same time. The lava effects are something I remembered from when I was a kid- quite rad. Though of course anyone with a fundamental understanding of science goes BATTY when characters start standing RIGHT NEXT TO LAVA like nothing bad will happen- ah, genre conventions.

The music is all pretty famous- Menken & Ashman (the latter died before Beauty & The Beast came out, but was obviously still working on Aladdin by that point, too- he coincidentally died just as a song that he loved- Proud of Your Boy, was dropped from the film after the character of Aladdin's mother was cut) do some more of their classic work, alongside some new names- A Whole New World is a classic Love Song, though most of the others are more comedic than anything else. There's not even a real Villain Song (one got cut due to being out of place and not fitting the story anymore, and the second is a mere reprise)! Most of the cut songs (they're on the DVD set) are pretty mediocre, really, so I stand by their decisions.

The Genie's rules of wishes are pretty clever: it removes the drama-lessening power of resurrections from the story (something Dragon Ball Z always suffered from- death NEVER mattered), and removed the PG-rating by avoiding concepts of rape and murder (well, Genie-done murder). Plus the whole "Wish For More Wishes" thing (something I only heard about from a story we got told in Grade 5 class about a Genie named Quicksilver getting caught up in an eternal wish-loop by that).

"You are speechless, I see- A fine quality in a wife!" BWAHAHAHAAHAHAH! GOD I love it when the villains are sexist pigs :). The movie's climax is pretty great, though, especially since the villain is REALLY powerful, and the only way to win is through outwitting him. And it's a pretty decent job, too- it's not just Jafar being a super-idiot, though it's his vanity and power-lust that do him in.

Reception & Cultural Impact:
-The movie did PHENOMENALLY well, and fits right into the Disney Renaissance. The notion of a snarkier, rapscallion of a lead character wasn't entirely new, but I think Aladdin led to the flood of that personality type in the later (non-Disney) animated films following this one. Many of the songs went on to become major show-stoppers, though only Friend Like Me became a MAJOR recurring theme throughout Disney history. Robin Williams' performance as The Genie also set off a firestorm of celebrity Voice Actors who'd try to use Disney films to aid their careers.

-However, the latter effectively changed animated films FOREVER- before that, you were likely to get unknowns as major characters (the only celebrities in Beauty and the Beast play household appliances), and the occasional minor celebrity at-best- guys like Phil Harris (Baloo/Little John). Jiminy Cricket and Robin Hood were played be people audiences might recognize, but not, like, ROBIN WILLIAMS-level guys. But The Genie changed all that- from then on, if you ran an Animated Feature, you were putting A-Listers in the big roles. So people with the Broadway training to pull off emotional reactions using their voice, like Robby Benson, Paige O'Hara & Jodi Benson... were soon falling by the wayside, as Pocahontas featured Mel Gibson, Mulan had Eddie Murphy, etc., all being hired mainly to play themselves and their own recognizable voices. You can see the effects of this all the way to modern times, where almost every non-Disney picture is made up 100% of big-name stars. Disney themselves fell into this BADLY after a point, but have since shrunk back a bit- Tangled and Frozen both featured actual celebs as the Main Characters, but most of the love interests, side characters, sidekicks and villains were played by minor TV and Broadway actors, some of whom (Josh Gad, Idina Menzel) only became big AFTER the movies hit.

-There was a bit of a stink over the offensiveness of the movie to Arabs, but given how that part of the world riots at the drop of a hat, I'd hardly be surprised- it still got the "they cut off your ear if they don't like your face" line switched in the Home Video release. Other complaints (including from Roger Ebert) were that Al & Jasmine looked too European (they're basically the Standard Disney Design but with tans and larger nose bridges, compared to the hideous, hook-nosed caricatures that made up the antagonistic people.

-The movie's popularity set off a Straight-To-Video Sequel (the first of the Disney films, if I recall correctly- itself a trailblazer, albeit a dubious honour), ANOTHER sequel (The King of Thieves, revealing Aladdin's father), and a TV series. I recall seeing many episodes of it (Dan "Homer" Castellanetta played the role of The Genie, as he did in the first sequel), but I couldn't tell you a single thing about it if I tried. Apparently it's well-thought-of, but I found it rather "blah" at the time. But this whole concept of forming a cottage industry around one particular feature ended up being replicated again and again, though The Little Mermaid did a TV series two years earlier.

-There's also an Aladdin Broadway Musical, which is a bit odd considering how LONG it took them to make that- the two preceding, and one following, Disney Renaissance titles surrounding it all got their musicals in the NINETIES- why did it take so long for Aladdin to get his? The Genie's actor was basically guaranteed the Tony give how great and eye-catching his role is, and Jafar from the movie actually played the musical version as well, which was neat. Expect this one to run for years.

-Other Aladdin stuff: various Disney Parks have had meet & greets for the characters, with EPCOT featuring one in the Morocco Pavilion. There are Flying Carpet Rides in some parks as well (mainly in Adventureland), and a stage show in Tokyo DisneySea's "Arabian Coast" section (which features unrelated stuff, such as a fantastic Sinbad dark ride and the world's largest merry-go-round). Though oddly enough, the most Merch-based stuff for the film is centered around the third-tier protagonist, as Princess Jasmine, appearing in the famous Disney Princess line, has become the most Toyetic character, inspiring many SOLO meet & greets (with most non-white Face Character performers being stuck playing her, Mulan & Pocahontas). In fact, looking at the Disney Parks, Jasmine has ten times the presence of THE MAIN CHARACTER of the feature- such is the power of the Princess Thing. She's become a bit notorious to Disneyphiles, too, as certain modern movements have led to her Harem Girl Outfit (which, to be fair, is hilariously silly if you think about it) being replaced by what looks like a hideous bejeweled tent. Though I'm pretty sure you can see the traditional outfit in places- I know I saw one in the Disney World Cinderella's Royal Table restaurant.