Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
M4C8

Re: King Triton

Post by M4C8 »

HalloweenJack wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:50 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:43 pm
About the Performer: Kenneth Mars is an unknown to me, but he'd done bit parts on TV for years before The Little Mermaid came out, and did more after. The one I actually remember is Otto, the German dude ranch owner (and Francis's employer) on Malcolm in the Middle. He died of pancreatic cancer in 2011, and had voiced Triton in everything until then, as well as some other animated characters (most notably Grandpa Longneck in the Land Before Time series).
He did a few Mel Brooks movies like the Producers (he wrote springtime for hitler) and was the wooden armed inspector in Young Frankenstein
I just Google'd him, I knew I recognised his face but couldn't place where from, he was the 'mastermind' villain in Police Academy 6 :)
Last edited by M4C8 on Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
catsi563

Re: Jab's Builds! (Jessica Rabbit! Judge Doom! The Little Mermaid! Ariel! Ursula!)

Post by catsi563 »

Beauty and the Beast remains to this day among my top 5 movies of all time.

some of the great things

the Ballroom sequence is gorgeous on so many levels not just the art and animation but the reactions of the characters is breath taking. And made even more so when you know that Angela Landsbury insisted on singing the song herself, and nailed it in ONE TAKE.

Gaston remains an iconic villain to this day because lets face it we have ALL known a Gaston. That douchebag who was born on third base thinking he hit a triple Gaston is a truly epic villain because hes so real and so familiar to us.

Belle as a heroine is just amazing. her beauty is something that the production crew and Paige Ohara were able to capture in every aspect. from animation to emotion to acting to background lighting.

The love story is as Jab has explained and ill reemphasize Epic because it doesn't happen over night despite the time skip in the movie. it happens gradually over the course of the song something there. and it showcases two people slowly but steadily falling in love with each other going from like to love on a journey together Culminating in a romantic finale that still tears you up to this day.

David Ogden Stiers and Jerry Orbach their performances were some of the best of the movie and Davids Ad lib of Promises you don't intend to keep had the crew cracking up, as well as Orbachs rendition of Be our Guest which made the song so iconic.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Jabroniville

Belle

Post by Jabroniville »

That REDESIIIIGNNNNNNNNN...

Nippy13 draws the BEST Belle!

Angry Belle with her hair down...

BELLE
Played by:
Paige O'Hara
Role: The Physical Embodiment of Human Perfection, Disney Princess, Brainy Bookworm
PL 2 (58), PL 6 (58) Defenses
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 1 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 2 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+4)
Expertise (Literature) 5 (+8)
Expertise (Singing & Dancing) 10 (+14)
Insight 2 (+6)
Treatment 1 (+4)

Advantages:
Attractive 25,985,982... oh FINE, Attractive 2

Powers:
"Got The Beast on That Horse Somehow" Power-Lifting 1 [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +2 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +2 (DC 12), Parry +3 (DC 13), Toughness +1, Fortitude +3, Will +8

Complications:
Responsibility ("She Really Is a Funny Girl")- Belle has the shockingly-unfeminine habit of READING. This, and her unwillingness to use her beauty to get her way, makes her an odd duck to the people of her small mountain town, who talk about her behind her back and gossip about her strangeness. Belle also has absolutely zero problem backtalking a man, whether he has a swell cleft in his chin, or four-hundred-pounds of raw animalistic fury.
Motivation ("Something More Than This Provincial Life")- Belle is bored and lonely in her quite mountain town- she is seeking some sense of the adventure and excitement found in her storybooks.
Responsibility (The Advances of Gaston)- Belle is somehow able to resist Gaston's rugged manliness, but finds him to be a most ardent suitor.
Relationship (The Beast)- Though The Beast is monstrous, crude and unrefined, Belle is suprised to see changes in him. His cruelty gives way to gentleness, kindness and nervous attempts at winning her over.
Responsibility ("There's Something There That Wasn't There Before")- Love can be a frightening, unexpected emotion. Could Belle TRULY be developing feelings for a BEAST? When she loses him, she is inconsolable.
Responsibility (Inability to Follow Orders, Curiosity)- Though Belle is one of the nicest people ever, she is startlingly-unwilling to follow orders from others, particularly rude, obnoxious sorts. She rejects Gaston in a very public manner, and when a giant seven-foot manbearwolf tells her she can visit the entire castle EXCEPT THE WEST WING, she wastes no time in leaving her guided tour and waltzing right up to it.
Relationship ("Papa!")- Belle is devoted to her father, Maurice- when he is imprisoned by The Beast, she sacrifices her own freedom for his with almost no reservations, despite his pleas that "I've LIVED my life!" And even when she falls in love with The Beast, she willingly leaves him to help save her father's life. "Thank you for understanding how much he needs me".

Total: Abilities: 34 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 1 / Defenses: 7 (58)

Belle- My Eternal Bride:
-Belle, along with Aurora, may prove to be the most "perfect" of all Disney Princesses- in fact, the greatest testament to the skill of the writers of this film may be the fact that they took a person with almost no flaws whatsoever, and made her a FASCINATING character. Belle is an oddball- a brainy bookworm in 18th Century-ish France, unwilling to fall head over heels for the manly Gaston like every other floozy in town, and content merely to stick her nose in books- in essence, Belle is a nerd, lost in fantasy instead of boring reality. She dreams of a life beyond this boring, podunk little town, and longs for the adventure in her favourite books. However, when her father is kidnapped by a monstrous Beast, she wastes no time in sacrificing her freedom, and is now the prisoner of the creature.

-They bicker and argue immediately- The Beast's clumsy attempts at wooing her make him come across as callous, impatient and rude, while Belle is in no mood for this crap right now, and immediately starts with the backtalk. Finally, she tests his last nerve whens he disobeys his ONE ORDER, and is thrown out of the castle- however, once The Beast saves her life, she sees a different side to him- after browbeating and arguing with him some more, of course. Belle begins to shock herself with her new feelings once she basically forcefully changes The Beast's personality.

-The role is really amazing, and the writers and directors had a tough job- they had to take a person almost without flaw and make something INTERESTING out of them. And they really pulled it off- while Belle is arguably the most admirable of the Princesses (having MUCH more backbone than Aurora, Snow White or Cinderella, and more maturity than Ariel), she has a rebellious streak a mile wide. What I love is that she puts up with absolutely ZERO SHIT from people- even at her most despondent, she tells the Beast to shove it when he starts ordering her to join him for dinner. When he says "it is forbidden!" when she inquires about the West Wing, what does she do? Sneaks away right to it. And while he frightens her away, and gives her the freedom she wanted... she has the conviction to save him from the cold... and yet STILL doesn't put up with any of his shit, throwing his shitty attitude right back in his face "THAT HURT!" "If you'd stop STRUGGLING it wouldn't HURT so much!". And GOD, that pouty look when she's had enough of his whining.

-Belle's fightiness is often unremarked upon- she's arguably the LEAST passive of the Princesses. Part of what makes her so glorious is... you KNOW her husband isn't wearing the pants in THAT relationship. Belle is sweet, generous, kind-hearted and brilliant, but if you go one step out of line, she'll be right in your face.

No Wonder That Her Name Meants "Beauty"- Her Looks Have Got No Parallel:
-GOOD LORD this is a good design. Can just a screenshot of someone's FACE count as Fanservice? Because she's ostensibly rather "plain" compared to other Disney Princesses, most of them blonde or with crazy eye colors. But they REALLY turned her into the most beautiful of the lot, with her round face and lips, and those brown eyes and that little hair strand that keeps falling across her face. And for some reason the brunette locks play perfectly off of the dress of gold, making her the most eye-catching Disney Heroine ever... until Elsa came out.

-Belle is also a stunning example of good design in a somewhat less-showy exterior. While ridiculously-attractive and curvy, Belle is actually the LEAST chesty woman in this movie by a ways (even a couple BACKGROUND characters are buxom!), yet is STILL believable as the most attractive girl in town. I can barely even describe her best feature- she's kind of the "middle point" of all the Disney women- her eyes aren't as big as Ariel's, but bigger than Snow White's. She's less angular than Aurora (her cheeks are highly-pronounced and rounded) but less rounded than many others. Even her plain brown hair and hazel eyes aren't really "stand-out" features the way most other Disney Princesses have their iconic looks, but somehow the whole package works. Me, I just love that little hair strand that always pops out in front of her forehead, necessitating her sweeping it back. Very adorable visual motif. And of course, she follows the general rule of women who keep their hair up- when it comes down, it's mind-blowing. How much do I worship Belle? I CAN'T DECIDE BETWEEN HER AND CYCLONE. Or Elsa. Or Kitty Pryde. All Hail James Baxter, the animator responsible for Belle, Ariel & Jessica Rabbit- truly, the man is a Bruce Timm/Dan DeCarlo-esque master of the female form.

Belle's Stats:
-Belle is actually a bit more fight-y than earlier Princesses, given that she's able to fight off A PACK OF WOLVES essentially single-handed using a big tree-branch for a couple rounds until they get the better of her. She's also adept at Parrying, as Gaston found out to his chagrin, ending up ass-over-teakettle in a mud puddle. Most of her capabilities are mental, however, as she's likeable enough to win just about anyone over (note that she's still odd enough to lack Persuasion ranks- but with 2 ranks of Attractive and a 4 in Presence, she hardly needs that much), and she's probably the most intelligent Disney Princess.

About the Performer: Paige O'Hara was BRILLIANT, here. Once again, a Broadway actress is perfectly-cast, as she sings the high notes, acts perfectly polite, but isn't afraid to talk some smack at the boorish buffoons in her life (the scenes where she utterly confounds Beast, no matter how mad he is, are perfect- their argument over the fire while she tends to his wounds is one of my favourite scenes ever). In the film's climax, when she falls apart over the body of the creature she's truly come to love, the woman's sobs were so tremendous that the voice directors actually asked Paige if she was okay- "of course! ACTING!" was the response.

-Her voice cracks at EXACTLY the right moments, and she portrays emotion exceptionally well. You can practically HEAR her eyes roll when she sings "Madam... Gaston... his little wife!", and her conviction when she responds "No sir! Not me! I GUAR-AN-TEE IT!". Her "I Want" song, where she belts out "I want ADVENTURE in the great wide SOMEWHERE..." is absolutely epic, and her confusion registers perfectly when she sings about how she's falling for The Beast, but unwilling to admit it to herself. It's a really impossible role to play- she has to act sincere, confident, sure of herself, snarky, impetuous, angry, kind-hearted and TOUGH all at the same time, being a fabulously complex character.

-O'Hara has been acting for years, but Belle is by far her biggest role- I haven't heard of any of her other original stuff (though she was the first Ellie May on the renewal of Showboat). After playing Belle, she mostly got hired to re-do the role in sequels (though was Fantine on Broadway's Les Miserables a couple years later), but was notably booted from it in 2011 (after doing the role in the Kingdom Hearts games), as age had altered her voice considerably (she's a few years older than Ariel's Jodi Benson, and is in her sixties now). I remember this being a bit of an issue- she recorded herself re-doing the old Belle numbers to show she could still do it. She then became an official Disney Artist, having learned to paint- however, she and the other Princess actresses have re-done their roles for Ralph Breaks The Internet, so it might just be for advertising stuff. She was a terrific lady when I met her in 2018- she commented right away that "Belle is always the one most popular with boys", since I was getting a Belle picture signed :).
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:18 am, edited 9 times in total.
catsi563

Re: Jab's Builds! (Ariel! Ursula! Triton! Beauty and the Beast! Belle!)

Post by catsi563 »

Still make the same argument I made last time that she should be a 1 str 2 sta or a 1 1 or some combination there of, shes shows shes tougher then most by breaking through a snowstorm to find her father and also saving beast.

And she hefts a freaking 400 pound beast onto a horses back perhaps with a little help from the horse i grant you but still its a pretty impressive eat of strength that's all but done on screen.

beyond that though that's what I mean by capturing her whole essenese the combination of actress and art crew just put the whole package together with Belle. Honestly don't think they've done it since then save maybe with Idina and Elsa.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

catsi563 wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:33 am Still make the same argument I made last time that she should be a 1 str 2 sta or a 1 1 or some combination there of, shes shows shes tougher then most by breaking through a snowstorm to find her father and also saving beast.

And she hefts a freaking 400 pound beast onto a horses back perhaps with a little help from the horse i grant you but still its a pretty impressive eat of strength that's all but done on screen.

beyond that though that's what I mean by capturing her whole essenese the combination of actress and art crew just put the whole package together with Belle. Honestly don't think they've done it since then save maybe with Idina and Elsa.
ah, yeah, I was thinking about that old debate, and figured I'd add something. I forgot for some reason... possibly too much time getting distracted by finding pictures?

NAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

I still remember my mom pointing that out when we watched it on video. "How did she get him up on that horse?"
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Another Calgary Comic Expo Thing:
* Meeting Paige O'Hara was great. Three women ahead of me were dressed like Belle (though tats COMPLETELY ruin that outfit, in my opinion), and people kept getting all teary-eyed and stunned on meeting her. I mean, she's BELLE, possibly the most-liked "official" Disney Princess (Anna & Elsa ain't in the running). When it was my turn, I was probably the only guy not there with his wife or something, so she's immediately like "you know, I read a study where it says Belle is the most popular one with MEN". DAMN, HOW DID SHE KNOW??? I was immediately all "Yeah, guys like nerdy girls", then of course gushed about the movie being Disney's best. Someone added "guys like smart girls", and I also emphasized that Belle was awesome, because she "didn't put up with a lot of nonsense from anyone!", pointing out how every time the Beast or someone acted up, she was just all "NO! You settle down!".

The girl in front of her mentioning Disneyland made me ask her if she ever went to the parks and like, messed with the "Belles" or let them know it was her. She pointed out they all already knew her (the "Disney Legends" get into all the parks for free), and one "had to keep character, but her hands were just SHAKING...!"). Great stuff.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Jessica Rabbit! Judge Doom! The Little Mermaid! Ariel! Ursula!)

Post by Jabroniville »

greycrusader wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:29 am Adam Hughes is right up there with Frank Cho in terms of pin-up "good girl" art, but Tinkerbell with that bosom...just...seems...wrong.

All my best.
BOSOMS ARE NEVER WRO--

No, no, I am calm. Not enraged. CALM...
HalloweenJack

Re: King Triton

Post by HalloweenJack »

M4C8 wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:49 am
HalloweenJack wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:50 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:43 pm
About the Performer: Kenneth Mars is an unknown to me, but he'd done bit parts on TV for years before The Little Mermaid came out, and did more after. The one I actually remember is Otto, the German dude ranch owner (and Francis's employer) on Malcolm in the Middle. He died of pancreatic cancer in 2011, and had voiced Triton in everything until then, as well as some other animated characters (most notably Grandpa Longneck in the Land Before Time series).
He did a few Mel Brooks movies like the Producers (he wrote springtime for hitler) and was the wooden armed inspector in Young Frankenstein
I just Google'd him, I knew I recognised his face but couldn't place where from, he was the 'mastermind' villain in Police Academy 6 :)

It has been so long since I saw that, I had forgotten it was him
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Belle does seem like she was designed to be a nerd ultimate dream girl. She's kind, thoughtful, sweet and intelligent, but also brave and strong. She likes to read, so she's obviously into geeky stuff. She sees right through Gaston, which means she has standards and is sharp (and geeks love the idea of a girl that turns down the obvious jock). She can see beyond surface traits to the good or bad underneath, which the more socially awkward types hope will let her see past their exterior to the hopefully good person they are at their core. And she's designed to be simply gorgeous.

In short, she's all of the positive "hot bookworm/nerd girl" tropes put onto a confident, comfortable in her own skin and well adjusted young lady, with the backbone to put you in your place if you're an idiot, while also being able to admit when she's wrong. She's the kind of girl you could just be cuddled up with somewhere reading books together.

Though Elisa Maza wore that dress better. :D
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Ares wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:22 pm Though Elisa Maza wore that dress better. :D
This statement requires scientific verification.
As we know, the only way that science works is to test these theories over and over and over... :D
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

Just as you were typing that, I found this:

Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
Bladewind's 3ed M&M Builds
The Merge Setting document
RUSCHE

Post by RUSCHE »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:58 am
greycrusader wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:29 am Adam Hughes is right up there with Frank Cho in terms of pin-up "good girl" art, but Tinkerbell with that bosom...just...seems...wrong.

All my best.
BOSOMS ARE NEVER WRO--

No, no, I am calm. Not enraged. CALM...
If those are wrong, I never want to be right! 😁
sirjolt

Post by sirjolt »

Has no one mentioned Angela Lansbury singing 'Beauty and the Beast'? That was my favorite song of the movie.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Arkrite wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:54 pm
Ares wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:22 pm Though Elisa Maza wore that dress better. :D
As we know, the only way that science works is to test these theories over and over and over... :D
Two words "thigh holster".

And here's what I call exhibits D. Not quite Double D, but still:

And as an added bonus:

"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Ares wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:23 pm
Arkrite wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:54 pm
Two words "thigh holster".

And here's what I call exhibits D. Not quite Double D, but still:
*AHEM*

Counter-Point: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ0ODCMC6xs&t=1s (2:02 in. And MY GOD, the face she makes at him right after)