Recruitment Thread (The Jabverse)- Recruiting CLOSED

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Jabroniville

Re: Recruitment Thread (The Jabverse)- Recruiting CLOSED

Post by Jabroniville »

I don’t quite get the big deal about the plan. There’ll be rolls and stuff involved anyway. If it works, it dirks, and if it doesn’t, you’ll hopefully all still have fun with my absurd baddies :).
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:53 pm I don’t quite get the big deal about the plan. There’ll be rolls and stuff involved anyway. If it works, it dirks, and if it doesn’t, you’ll hopefully all still have fun with my absurd baddies :).
See,i'm with you on this:If it work,Fantastic.If not,we have 10 heroes/heroines to deal with it....
Thorpocalypse

Post by Thorpocalypse »

MacynSnow wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:05 am
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:53 pm I don’t quite get the big deal about the plan. There’ll be rolls and stuff involved anyway. If it works, it dirks, and if it doesn’t, you’ll hopefully all still have fun with my absurd baddies :).
See,i'm with you on this:If it work,Fantastic.If not,we have 10 heroes/heroines to deal with it....
Yup. And if the hillbillies take us out, we don't deserve tights and masks. ;)
Me fail English? That's unpossible. - Ralph Wiggum
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Thorpocalypse wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:16 am
Exactly! Glad to see we agree on this Thorp....:D
Thorpocalypse

Post by Thorpocalypse »

MacynSnow wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:17 am
Thorpocalypse wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:16 am
Exactly! Glad to see we agree on this Thorp....:D
I reserve the right to recant that statement if Jab throws Uncle Elmer at you all before my character shows up!!! :shock:

God I miss 80's wrestling...
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

It's not the plan in concept that is an issue. It's the roles being assigned and the logic being used for some of them that are just absurd. Trying to constantly reinforce "Hercule's short, so he'll look vulnerable because he'll wear normal tourist clothes and a map" is just deluded, flawed logic. And now we're adding freaking Todd to the bait group going in, even further ruining how "vulnerable" the group looks.

You don't look less formidable because you change clothes. The fact I mentioned it in character hasn't even been addressed.

Want an example? Wolverine. He's short. 5'3", only a little taller than Hercule. Dude would need to drape himself in baggy clothing to not look formidable, and then he just looks suspicious as hell. Let's throw Colossus (6'6". just an inch shorter than Todd) in there too, and you can't disguise his height at all. That's what we have with Hercule and Todd going in.

That's like sending anyone who ISN'T Mako to deal with a threat underwater when she is fully available to go deal with it. Why would you? We have much better options to send in to be a convincing "bait" than Hercule and Todd, two obvious bricks.

At least Henry and Maia look average sized and not like obvious powerhouse bricks.

Thorp: Wow....that picture is actually pretty good representing the size difference of Hercule against average sized guys. The big guy there is pretty massive and not the best example of "average" or any kind of build a ninja would have (outside of Naruto), but the shorter guy still doesn't really look at all unimposing next to the big guy. Would the big guy underestimate him? Considering he probably has 2-3 masses of the smaller guy, yeh, probably. Are we going to be facing people with a build that would make that underestimation? Not likely.

Side note: Can we please put the link to The Shield in the first post so no-one has to go hunting for it in the ever-growing OOC thread? http://www.echoesofthemultiverse.com/vi ... 405#p57276
Ken

Post by Ken »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:50 am Image

Well, I could point to him in the Big Pic (third row, second column!), but this is literally what he looks like.

KID HERCULES (Evan Kandopolis)
Hgt:
6'1" Wgt: 235 lbs.

Jab's Notes: Kid Hercules is an odd take-off of a real character- the super-obscure Joe Hercules, from Quality Comics. I pretty much just grabbed the name and look and copied it almost entirely.
Okay, here's a weird design question... Kid Hercules had a blue cape. Joe Hercules had a blue cape with a red lining. It's not so evident in the above pic, but, looking around, I can find pics that match my memories. Image

So... my question is, if I'm going with Adrien is riffing off Kid Hercules (except for the Atom's hood, which along with his schitck, I stole), would it be wrong if I wanted to make the lining of Adrien's cape be red?
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Kid Herc is more based off of Joe Herc than a direct comparison, so you can make him any colour you like, really.

The Hillbillies are of disparate sizes, but some are rather big. They would definitely see someone 4’11” as less formidable, unless he had four arms and was shooting fire or something.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:35 am Kid Herc is more based off of Joe Herc than a direct comparison, so you can make him any colour you like, really.

The Hillbillies are of disparate sizes, but some are rather big. They would definitely see someone 4’11” as less formidable, unless he had four arms and was shooting fire or something.
Except theoretically, we are not going to be dealing with the Hillbillies just yet. And not with this plan.

We're going into the Hillbillies' territory that they were forced out of. We don't know where they have gone to ground, which I think is one of the things we were hoping to possibly learn.

This plan is to lure out the alleged Ninjas that have occupied the territory and get answers.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:35 am Kid Herc is more based off of Joe Herc than a direct comparison, so you can make him any colour you like, really.
Okay.
Last edited by Ken on Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Ken

Post by Ken »

We know someone dressed as the Ninja gang tried to run the Hillbillies out. Whether they succeeded or not is unclear. Since our concern is a war between various gangs, it stands to reason the Hillbillies might still be in the picture, and if they are, and they did lose territory, they'll want it back, surely.

As such, we may find Hillbillies in their (possibly former) territory, we may find the people pretending to be the Ninja Gang, we may find the actual Ninja Gang (in the, IMO, unlikely event that the real Ninja Gang really wants to hold two non-adjacent bits of territory). We're going in with minimal information. We don't know who or what we'll find.

It's also possible that any of these people dressed in the Kabuki stagehand costumes might be non-Asians who just think pop-culture Ninjas are cool.

EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

http://www.echoesofthemultiverse.com/vi ... =45#p58258 - Post where the mission was laid out.

"Word is they have been pushed out." Nothing more to make it seem ambiguous. He didn't say it was speculative or potentially unreliable information. Yes, there is a touch of ambiguity to the phrase "Word is...", but context is important.

If there was any real question about the validity of the situation as reported, it would have been mentioned. "Word is they have been pushed out, but we're not sure" would have left room to imagine we may run into the Hillbillies while in the territory. And it's not out of the question that we might run into them as happenstance, but the purpose of the plan was to draw out whatever gang is calling itself the Ninjas.

And I will also point out there is a significant difference between looking like a vulnerable target, and being underestimated. Hercule might be underestimated by larger members of the Hillbillies, that does not make him look in any way shape or form like a vulnerable mark for anyone OTHER than those who would underestimate him, and even then, by comparison, he's still more formidable looking than most of the rest of the team.

You are right we have limited information, we don't know if these are the real ninjas or a group dressing up like them, so we don't know if they will underestimate Hercule (or Todd for that matter now..) to a point of seeing him as a viable target to mug, but based on that, it's all the more reason to use someone who is ACTUALLY convincingly vulnerable-looking.

At this point, I am also going to point out, in the same post K'lara pointed out that Hercule looks no less formidable by changing clothes, she also suggested an alternative (admittedly, not a great one) which she has not been challenged on, and in fact, was encouraged to go ahead and do it and let the others know.

Considering their plan is about drawing the gang out by deception, K'lara's suggestion runs completely counter to it and could ruin their plan. Someone may want to actually address that because the worse this plan gets, the more likely she's just going to ignore that plan and start calling the gang out.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Ken wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:00 am
Nice. I think the red lining makes it pop a little more.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Arkrite wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:53 am
Ken wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:00 am
Nice. I think the red lining makes it pop a little more.
Thank you. So do I.
Last edited by Ken on Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thorpocalypse

Post by Thorpocalypse »

EpicEclipse wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:25 am http://www.echoesofthemultiverse.com/vi ... =45#p58258 - Post where the mission was laid out.

"Word is they have been pushed out." Nothing more to make it seem ambiguous. He didn't say it was speculative or potentially unreliable information. Yes, there is a touch of ambiguity to the phrase "Word is...", but context is important.

If there was any real question about the validity of the situation as reported, it would have been mentioned. "Word is they have been pushed out, but we're not sure" would have left room to imagine we may run into the Hillbillies while in the territory. And it's not out of the question that we might run into them as happenstance, but the purpose of the plan was to draw out whatever gang is calling itself the Ninjas.

And I will also point out there is a significant difference between looking like a vulnerable target, and being underestimated. Hercule might be underestimated by larger members of the Hillbillies, that does not make him look in any way shape or form like a vulnerable mark for anyone OTHER than those who would underestimate him, and even then, by comparison, he's still more formidable looking than most of the rest of the team.

You are right we have limited information, we don't know if these are the real ninjas or a group dressing up like them, so we don't know if they will underestimate Hercule (or Todd for that matter now..) to a point of seeing him as a viable target to mug, but based on that, it's all the more reason to use someone who is ACTUALLY convincingly vulnerable-looking.

At this point, I am also going to point out, in the same post K'lara pointed out that Hercule looks no less formidable by changing clothes, she also suggested an alternative (admittedly, not a great one) which she has not been challenged on, and in fact, was encouraged to go ahead and do it and let the others know.

Considering their plan is about drawing the gang out by deception, K'lara's suggestion runs completely counter to it and could ruin their plan. Someone may want to actually address that because the worse this plan gets, the more likely she's just going to ignore that plan and start calling the gang out.
I'm certainly not going to disagree with some of the points you've been asserting as many of them make complete sense. I also took note that you've been getting frustrated and feel marginalized and I'm sorry for that. Having been playing RPGs since 1981 (37 years, take that Mr. 32 Years of RPG-ing Ken! ;) ) I know that can take the enjoyment out of the game and that should be the main reason for playing as it, of course, a game. I don't think, and I certainly hope, no one is trying to make you feel that way on purpose or we've got bigger problems as a group.

However, I think the greater majority of the group is ready to move forward with the plan, imperfect as it as, in the interest of moving the game along. There's already 11 pages of posts and the team hasn't left the initial meeting yet and I get the feeling most everyone is ready to move on. Even those he's one of those sneaky Canadian types, I don't think Jab is going to make us pay too dearly this early in the game for a less than stellar plan. It would keep him from throwing a bunch of horrible things that he's whipped up later if we're all beaten down right off the bat. ;)

It's obvious you're a mega-sharp dude and we'll need that moving forward as we get into more precarious situations in Mega City. And I don't want to you to check out on us because of frustration because someone will need to balance my Leroy Jenkins leanings when a plan besides "charge in and slash things" is needed. All I can ask is that in the best interest of the group as a whole, you can put aside your concerns and move forward with the team. If you can't, you can't, we all process things differently, but I thought I would at least ask.

And besides, if things do go way south, I can tell you as a parent that you are the in the greatest position anyone can be in as you can utter those four words that we parents all love to say:

I TOLD YOU SO. ;)