Recruitment Thread (The Jabverse)- Recruiting CLOSED

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
EpicEclipse

Re: Recruitment Thread (The Jabverse)- Recruiting CLOSED

Post by EpicEclipse »

Well, rats. I feel sheepish for missing out on that. Well, it was a bit bird brained and doesn't need to dragon any longer. Besides, I'm sure at least some of us are feeling a bit horse after groaning at all these puns.
Ken

Post by Ken »

I've been busy as a beaver today, otherwise I'd be having a whale of a time joining in all this horseplay. That, and I didn't want to make an ass out of myself again.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Keep it up, and I’ll make all your adventures furry-related out of spite :).
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

weve gotten into a hairy situation, jabs furryous with us

meh so what else is gnu? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Ken

Post by Ken »

Where'd everybody (except Flynn and L-Space) go?

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Weekends are traditionally slower, but we've also been kind of spinning our wheels as such, and I think some of the details of the plan have been confused or lost at some point or another, so we could probably use a definitive post on exactly what we are doing.

To what I understand; (keeping in mind, like I said, it seems things have gotten a little confused, so this may not be 100% accurate) we are going into the Hillbilly territory with Hercule planning to go in plain clothes to try and get jumped because he thinks he looks harmless (I disagree based on the picture, unless he looks more harmless when powered down, but powering down wasn't mentioned) so we can draw out members of the group (either actual Ninjas or some other group posing as the Ninjas) so we can detain and question them to find out what's going on, or at least maybe find some clues in the area.

Personally, I think Sawyer looks more "harmless" as a more normal looking guy. Bit younger too than the average of the group. (Herc's age isn't listed, masked it's hard to tell, but again, might be different when he's powered down), Rosa and Ariana are arguably even more harmless looking (throw an outfit on over Silver Witch's magic outfit and she'd look like a normal 18 year old girl), so the three of them would make the best "bait" for this.

Anyways, all that aside, the plan was for someone(s) to be bait to lure out some ninjas (real or frauds) and everyone else jump them to spring the trap. I think canvasing was mentioned as well to see if people in the area saw or know anything, which might also draw some of this ninjas out.
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

Sawyer is at a disadvantage when he isn't flying, though. Ariana is best fighting at a distance, and Rosa is vulnerable when she's powered down. I agree that we're starting to spin our wheels a bit, though: things will probably pick up when we get a change of scene.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

RainOnTheSun wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:49 am Sawyer is at a disadvantage when he isn't flying, though. Ariana is best fighting at a distance, and Rosa is vulnerable when she's powered down. I agree that we're starting to spin our wheels a bit, though: things will probably pick up when we get a change of scene.
Those things are true, but so is Herc (theoretically) if he powers down, which is the only way I can really see him appearing "helpless" given how powerful his frame looks in the picture, height aside. (And who really cares how tall someone is if they are built like a brick s***house?)

Objectively, ignoring statistical disadvantages in the event of an ambush (Since the character are unaware of numerical values that exist on a character sheet for them), those three (and possibly Herc depending on his powered down form) are the better bait than Herc alone in his powered up state. I will also point out putting one's self at an intentional disadvantage can be seen as a complication in a situation like this, which may be good for hero points.

Sawyer doesn't seem the type to shy away because he's at a disadvantage that he can quickly correct once things heat up, Ariana would still have access to her powers so wouldn't be at a true disadvantage, just not at her optimal range. Rose I could see being the hold out, despite probably being the best "bait", but she has the largest concern about her identity being learned.

EDIT: Also posted with an alternative suggestion that more suits K'lara's personality and status as a "face". She's really much more straight forward, not well predisposed to deceptive tactics and plans.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Alright, my PC is back in business, so I can more easily follow along. Naturally, the posting would slow down RIGHT when that happened :).

I think Herc was the only one who volunteered to be a civilian, as clearly everybody else views that as the "boring" part of the plan, or has a good in-character reason for not joining in. I'd say being 4'11" makes you a HUGELY vulnerable target, no matter how ripped one is. Keep in mind just HOW tiny that really is.

I recommend we actually get going on the mission tomorrow. Hopefully everyone has fun, now that they're not just talking in circles in a room for a week :)!
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

I disagree.

I based that on my own height because I am pretty average, and the american male average height is actually 5'10" according to online index, so his head would come up to my shoulders. It's a fair difference, but we're also talking a guy built literally like an Olympian. He looks like an olympic weight lifter.

We're talking about how potentially "helpless" he looks. No-one with a build like an Olympic athlete looks helpless. They look like they train and know what they are doing. His height really doesn't matter.

Also, if you look back, Mustang talked about himself and Witch going in civvies as well, due to being the resident gang experts.

I'm honestly not sure why we are trying to shoehorn this specific plan in anyways. The only reason Hercule started dressing in his civvies is because no-one else was inclined or suited to the undercover portion. Not saying it's a bad plan, just not one that is apparently well suited to this particular group, not when we have legitimately "helpless looking" people, yet we're dressing up the mini olympic athlete as the "bait".
Ken

Post by Ken »

By my reckoning, the top of Adrien's head should be about even with Harry or Sawyer's collar bone. It would also be at the lower lip of someone standing 5'6". And about even with Todd's nipples.

It's night time. And Olympic athletes are still vulnerable to knives and guns. There's nothing about Adrien that says "I ignore small arms fire".

And since we don't know where the Hillbillies are holed up, and we don't know who controls the formerly (or still) Hillbilly territory, talking to whomever would be willing to mug an obvious tourist (Adrien's going to get a street map, and possibly put on a beret) seems like our best bet to get at least some of that intel.

Yeah, busting down doors and taking names will be more fun, but we kind of need to know which doors to bust down.

And if our GM thinks that Adrien looks fairly vulnerable because of his height, it is probably a good bet that the NPCs he controls will too.

EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

By my reckoning, the top of Adrien's head should be about even with Harry or Sawyer's collar bone. It would also be at the lower lip of someone standing 5'6". And about even with Todd's nipples.
http://www.mrinitialman.com/OddsEnds/Sizes/sizes.html Plug in heights, get a visual representation as I posted. Sawyer is listed at 5'11" so you don't have to reckon anything, the picture for height difference is already posted above. Herc comes up to the top of his shoulders.

EDIT: Plugged in Todd's 6'7", Hercule goes up to a little higher than his nipples, but you weren't far off. http://www.mrinitialman.com/OddsEnds/Si ... comp_in=11
It's night time. And Olympic athletes are still vulnerable to knives and guns. There's nothing about Adrien that says "I ignore small arms fire".
By this logic, every single character fits the bill. Nothing about any character says they ignore small arms fire or look particularly sturdy against knives.
And since we don't know where the Hillbillies are holed up, and we don't know who controls the formerly (or still) Hillbilly territory, talking to whomever would be willing to mug an obvious tourist (Adrien's going to get a street map, and possibly put on a beret) seems like our best bet to get at least some of that intel.
There is only one person on the team that couldn't dress up like a tourist and look more vulnerable than Hercule, and that's Todd because he's freaking huge at over six and a half feet. The few who have obvious physiology that can't be easily covered up would be more obvious than Hercule, but could still look more vulnerable because they simply have slighter builds than him, but that still leaves; Sawyer, Maia, Henry, Ariana and Rose who would ALL better fit the bill of "vulnerable tourist". No, they wouldn't necessarily resist the damage of a sudden, violent ambush the way Hercule would, but they would ALL fit the visual bill better than him, hands down.
Yeah, busting down doors and taking names will be more fun, but we kind of need to know which doors to bust down.
Considering the description of the territory, there are few if any doors to bust down. The turf consists of a petting zoo and some surrounds of it. He said it's a small territory all considered, and I was never suggesting we bust down doors but go in there and call the current gang occupants out. (Mainly because it's what someone like K'lara would suggest. I'm not saying that it's a foolproof plan.)
And if our GM thinks that Adrien looks fairly vulnerable because of his height, it is probably a good bet that the NPCs he controls will too.
Accepting a plan because the players think it should work, and expecting the GM will have the plan go off as the players expect is flawed logic, and a GM that would in fact do that is not challenging the players very well. Not saying Jab will simply let it go off, I presume rolls would in some way be involved given the deceptive nature of the plan.

All in all, it is a poorly thought out plan, it is not well suited to the characters we have here and logically should not work. One of two things should theoretically happen logically; The plan fails and we waste a lot of time, or the plan fails and we get out-played because obvious plan is obvious, because what's Hercule's Deception to fill the role of a vulnerable, helpless tourist and not someone who holds himself like he can benchpress a house? +4?

If I seem frustrated, it's because I am. I am speaking out against this plan in its current iteration using Hercule and presenting logical reasons why, and I'm being marginalized and told "Nah don't worry about it because he's short." as the ONLY argument why the plan should work.....and that is just so nonsensical.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Sorry, was helping my sister move into her new house this weekend.
Ugh.
After this weekend I need a day off!
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Arkrite wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:25 pm Sorry, was helping my sister move into her new house this weekend.
Ugh.
Moving always seem's to do that to you(i should know,I've moved to 3 States: Tennesse when i was 16,Back to Kentucky after i graduated HS[it involved a Girl i liked that got married before i could ask her out:That's all i'll say 'bout that...:P], then over to North Carolina when i joined the Army),no matter WHO you move...:D
L-Space

Post by L-Space »

I feel like those size comparison charts kind of confirm the thought that being 4'11 would make someone a target. Especially since if you just throw a oversized hoodie on him to hide his physique and he'll definitely look vulnerable. I'm not against Sawyer doing it by any means, but I won't be held responsible if his smartass-ness escalates things. :lol:
Arkrite wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:25 pm Sorry, was helping my sister move into her new house this weekend.
Ugh.
The worst weekends are the ones that make you wish it was another weekend.
Formerly luketheduke86