Batgirl III's Character Thread (Simon Baz, Lady Shiva)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Spectrum

Re: Mr. Wint and Mr. Kidd

Post by Spectrum »

Ken wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:23 pm
M4C8 wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:03 pm In the 2003 TMNT cartoon there was a pair of villains named Mr. Touch and Mr. Go, I now realise the way they spoke to each other must have been based on these two.
Bad Touch! Bad Touch!

=================================================================================================

Name the Bond story...

1) Foreign-born British 'hero' plans on using a weapon from space to destroy London. Bond defeats the weapon with the help of the woman who knows the weapon's guidance system.
Moonraker or Golden Eye?

2) Bond, with an assist from some Asian allies, must stop a madman set on starting a war between two major powers.
You Only Live Twice or Tomorrow Never Dies?

3) Bond must stop a corrupt zillionaire from using a nuclear device to increase the value of the vast quantities of a commodity they control.
Goldfinger or The World is Not Enough?

4) Bond's involvemnt with a case of diamond smuggling leads him to a madman who has used the diamonds to power a death-ray satellite.
Diamonds are Forever or Die Another Day?

Seemed like for a while there, there was a recurring laaazer beeeeeams from ouuuter space thing going on with James Bond. If I'm recalling right, around the Dalton/Bronsnan era.
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Spectrum

Re: Batgirl III's Character Thread (Mr. Wint and Mr. Kidd)

Post by Spectrum »

KorokoMystia wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:28 pm Apparently Mr. Wint and Mr. Kidd were popular to parody or reference at one point, since Kids Next Door had two guys who talk in pretty much exactly the same way, called Mr. Wink and Mr. Fibb.
Are Croup and Vandemar (from Neverwhere) take offs of the characters or a form of parallel development?
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Batgirl III

Re: Batgirl III's Character Thread (Mr. Wint and Mr. Kidd)

Post by Batgirl III »

Spectrum wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:09 pm
KorokoMystia wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:28 pm Apparently Mr. Wint and Mr. Kidd were popular to parody or reference at one point, since Kids Next Door had two guys who talk in pretty much exactly the same way, called Mr. Wink and Mr. Fibb.
Are Croup and Vandemar (from Neverwhere) take offs of the characters or a form of parallel development?
I’d say they’re the same archetype — the Gentlemen Thugs — but done much better. There’s nothing inherently wrong with the idea behind the Mr. Wint and Mr. Kidd characters, they just seem very out of place in this particular film. Diamonds Are Forever has some real “tone” problems, it cannot decide if it wants to be the more serious thriller-meets-exotic-travelogue of the first Connery films or the action-meets-camp of the Moorefilms that would follow. (Which makes Lazenby’s prototype thriller-meets-revenge-fantasy that we’d see in the Dalton era standout even more when you watch these all in order in a short span of time.)
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Batgirl III

Mr. Big

Post by Batgirl III »

DR. KANANGA
Original Character
Power Level 5 ( 100 PP )

'Live and Let Die' (1973) wrote:James Bond: My name is B——

Mr. Big: Names is for tombstones, baby. Y'all take this honky out and waste him. Now!
ABILITIES
Strength 2
Stamina 3
Agility 3
Dexterity 3
Fighting 5
Intellect 4
Awareness 2
Presence 3

SKILLS
Athletics 4 (+6), Expertise [Criminal] 8 (+12), Deception 5 (+8), Expertise [Medicine] 4 (+8), Expertise [Occult] 2 (+6), Expertise [Streetwise] 11 (+15), Intimidation 12 (+15), Perception 8 (+10), Persuassion 6 (+9), Ranged Combat [Firearms] 2 (+5), Technology 2 (+6), Treatment 4 (+8), Vehicles 2 (+5)

ADVANTAGES
Benefit [Diplomatic Immunity (1)], Connected, Contacts, Defensive Roll (2), Equipment (2), Leadership, Well-Informed

EQUIPMENT ( 10 EP )
Smith & Wesson Model 10 (.38 Special) Snubnose Revolver Damage 3 (E: Accurate [1], Improved Critical [1], Ranged) [ 8 EP ]

DEFENSE
Dodge (5) Base 2
Parry: (5) Base 0
Fortitude: (4) Base 1
Toughness: (3/5) ——
Will: (6) Base 3

WORKSHEET
Attack: 5 Effect: 2 Total: 7 (Unarmed)
Attack: 7 Effect: 3 Total: 10 (Revolver)
Dodge: 5 Tough: 3/5 Total: 8/10
Parry: 5 Tough: 3/5 Total: 8/10
Fort: 4 Will: 6 Total: 10

ABILITIES [ 50 pp ] +
SKILLS [ 35 pp ] +
ADVANTAGES [ 9 pp ] +
POWERS [ 0 pp ] +
DEFENSES [ 6 pp ] =
100 PP TOTAL

Known Alias: Mr. Big
Education: Unknown
Date of Birth: 33 (Assumed)
Base of Operations: San Monique
Height: 6'4" (1.93 m)
Eyes: Brown
Hair: Black
Race: Human
Identity: Secret
Religion: Voodoo
Relationships: Unknown
Legal Status: Citizen of the San Monique with no criminal record.

Background:
Dr. Kananga, also known as Mr. Big, is James Bond's main antagonist in the 1973 film Live and Let Die.

Drug baron and dictator of a fictitious Caribbean island named San Monique, Dr. Kananga is very loosely based on the villain of Ian Fleming's second James Bond novel, also titled Live and Let Die. Like his novel counterpart, Kananga adopts the alias "Mr. Big" to conduct his illicit activities, however the novel and film versions of the character are radically different to the point of being completely different people. This build reflects the film version more than the literary one.

Dr. Kananga, operating under the alias "Mr. Big", is a business man and owner of a chain of restaurants in New York City and New Orleans called "Fillet of Soul". As Big, he is also the head of one of the most vicious street gangs in Harlem. Kananga is the de facto dictator of the fictional Caribbean island of San Monique and thus has certain diplomatic immunities in the United States easily allowing him to smuggle drugs into the country.

Dr. Kananga grows vast quantities of opium in San Monique under the protection of large camouflage nets and guarded by the apparently mystical "Baron Samedi." Using the poppies, Kananga hopes to flood the U.S. market with two tonnes of heroin distributed through his legitimate restaurants free of charge, thus forcing other drug dealers out of business. In doing so, he believes that he would double the amount of addicts, which he would be able to exploit with his new found monopoly.

Kananga attracts the attention of the Secret Intelligence Service when three british agents are killed while investigating his business. This being a James Bond movie, it shouldn't be hard to figure out how Her Majesty's Secret Service responds...

Build Notes:
Live and Let Die is probably the strangest Bond film of them all, at least in terms of tone. (It's hard to top Moonraker for sheer absurdity.) Live and Let Die was released at the height of the "Blaxploitation" trend and boy does it show. Gone is the international terrorism of SPECTRE or the cat-and-mouse Cold War of the Soviets and the British (and the Americans, Chinese, and Japanese) and instead we have a fairly straight-forward tale of organized crime and drug smuggling. Honestly, if you replaced Roger Moore with Richard Roundtree, this film could have been a Shaft picture... Replace James Bond with Nightwing, Daredevil, or any "street-level" superhero of your choosing and it's a great Mutants & Masterminds mini-campaign. Heck, use Luke Cage and get the best of both worlds.

More Build Notes:
The theme song by Paul McCartney and Wings is among the all-time best for the franchise, and is the only one to have any success independent of the film. Heck, it's still played by McCartney today in his concerts, gets regular air play on most Classic Rock stations, and plenty people don't even know that it came from a Bond film. The Shirley Basey theme from Goldfinger is probably the most famous Bond theme, but it's pretty much known as just a Bond theme. McCartney's Live and Let Die theme is a legit standalone hit.
MacynSnow

Re: Batgirl III's Character Thread (Mr. Big/Dr. Kananga)

Post by MacynSnow »

If you don't mind BG,i'll just Borrow Mr.Big here for a Game i happen to be running.......;)
*pulls Mr. Big towards the Dragon AGE section of the Echoesverse....*
Shock

Post by Shock »

I still maintain there's something wrong when you write a song and Guns N Roses performs it better than you do.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Shock wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:25 am I still maintain there's something wrong when you write a song and Guns N Roses performs it better than you do.
You might be right, if Guns N Roses performed it better. However, since they obviously do not there's nothing to worry about. :lol:
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Oh, Wings. They just HAD to ruin the joke by releasing one amazing song.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

The Brig knew how to handle it: “Jenkins! Chap with Wings there... Five rounds – Rapid!”
Ken

Post by Ken »

Batgirl III wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:09 am The Brig knew how to handle it: “Jenkins! Chap with Wings there... Five rounds – Rapid!”
*snort* :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Batgirl III

Solitaire

Post by Batgirl III »

SOLITAIRE
James Bond Character
Power Level 3 ( 55 PP )

'Live and Let Die' (1973) wrote:James Bond: Black Queen on the red King, Miss...?

Solitaire: Solitaire.

James Bond: My name's Bond, James Bond.

Solitaire: I know who you are, what you are, and why you've come. You have made a mistake. You will not succeed.
ABILITIES
Strength 0
Stamina 2
Agility 1
Dexterity 1
Fighting 2
Intellect 2
Awareness 4
Presence 3

SKILLS
Deception 3 (+6), Expertise [Occult] 6 (+8), Insight 10 (+13), Perception 1 (+5), Persuasion 2 (+5), Sleight of Hand 4 (+5)

ADVANTAGES
Attractive (2), Luck (1)

POWERS
Tarot Reading Senses 4 (Mental: Precognition) [ 4 PP ]

DEFENSE
Dodge (4) Base 3
Parry: (4) Base 2
Fortitude: (2) Base 0
Toughness: (2) ——
Will: (4) Base 0

WORKSHEET
Attack: 2 Effect: 0 Total: 2 (Unarmed)
Dodge: 4 Tough: 2 Total: 6
Parry: 4 Tough: 2 Total: 6
Fort: 2 Will: 4 Total: 6

ABILITIES [ 30 pp ] +
SKILLS [ 13 pp ] +
ADVANTAGES [ 3 pp ] +
POWERS [ 4 pp ] +
DEFENSES [ 5 pp ] =
55 PP TOTAL

Background:
Solitaire is a voodoo tarot card reader from the 1973 James Bond film Live and Let Die. Portrayed by the legendarily gorgeous actress Jane Seymour, here at a mere 21 years old, the character is rough adaptation of the character first appeared in Ian Fleming's 1954 novel of the same name. Solitaire, has the power to see both the future and remote events in the present. Mr. Big, who is actually Dr. Kananga in disguise, is obessed with her and her gift... Although it's unclear if she actually has magical powers or if she and Dr. Kananga just believe that she does.

Build Notes:
Truth be told, there isn't a whole lot to Solitaire. Jane Seymour's performance is great and she's absolutely gorgeous, but she fails the Sexy Lamp Test harder than just about any Bond Girl. Even From Russia with Love's Tatiana Romanova and Spectre's Madeleine Swann had a more proactive role in the plot... Solitaire pretty much exists only to give Dr. Kananga someone to alternatively worry about and rage at. At least thanks to Seymour's skills as an actress she comes across as more sympathetic than The World Is Not Enough's Dr. Christmas Jones, the God-Queen of the Sexy Lamps.
BriarThrone

Re: Batgirl III's Character Thread (Solitaire)

Post by BriarThrone »

Jane Seymour could play a more sympathetic character in the fleeting moments between sleeping and waking than Denise Richards could with six hundred takes.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

I honestly didn't know Solitaire was played by the Lady Seymour,i couldn't even tell it was her untill you pointed it out.That's a good Deception roll right there.... :shock:
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

BriarThrone wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:03 pm Jane Seymour could play a more sympathetic character in the fleeting moments between sleeping and waking than Denise Richards could with six hundred takes.
A still photograph of Jane Seymour could perform better than Denise Richards.

Don't get me wrong, Denise Richards is cute as a button and has a decent sense of comedic timing... She's not the worst actress that I've ever seen, but in a film with Pierce Brosnan OBE, Robert Carlyle OBE, Robbie Coltrane OBE, and Dame Judith Olivia Dench, CH, DBE, FRSA... Well, hell, even Sophie Marceau seems out of place.

The World Is Not Enough has an astounding amount of talent both in front of and behind the camera given how weak the script is. Pierce Brosnan has a weird record as Bond, he's great in the role (the prefect blend of Connery's suave cool and Moore's cocksure charm hiding Dalton's cold-hearted killer), he works with some absolutely stellar co-stars (Sean Bean, Sophie Marceau, Michelle Yeoh, Judi Goddamn Dench), and yet the movies themselves are all kind of... meh. Great performers and excellent stunt work can only do so much to patch up a weak script.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

MacynSnow wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:06 pm I honestly didn't know Solitaire was played by the Lady Seymour,i couldn't even tell it was her untill you pointed it out.That's a good Deception roll right there.... :shock:
There's two decades separating Live and Let Die from Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman, which is how most Americans were introduced to her. Live and Let Die was only her fifth role and only the second one she had a leading role in. Somewhere in Time or East of Eden were the only roles she had, prior to Dr. Quinn, that gained much attention outside of the U.K.

She's also one of those women who seems to look even better as she gets older. She's beautiful as Solitare in her twenties, she's gorgeous as Dr. Quinn in her forties, and I kinda want to send the Inquisition `round her place to investigate whatever forbidden sorcery she is using to look as good as she does nowadays as she's pushing seventy. :lol: