Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Samurai Shodown! Nakoruru! Jubei!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Once again, a set has vexed me as to how to approach the posting order. Haohmaru seemed an obvious start, as the game’s “Ryu”, but posting him would kinda require posting Ukyo and Genjuro quickly, which front-loaded things, and I wanted to post Nakoruru sooner rather than later. But this way, I was forced to post all three “little girl” characters right at the beginning. But, well... Nako is very important to the story.
L-Space

Post by L-Space »

If I played the games agaom I have a feeling Jubei and Ukyo would be my favorites, as I've noticed that I gravitate towards the defensive/counter heavy characters nowadays. Man, I'd love if they added the Samurai Shodown games to PSN!
Formerly luketheduke86
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

L-Space wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:34 pm If I played the games agaom I have a feeling Jubei and Ukyo would be my favorites, as I've noticed that I gravitate towards the defensive/counter heavy characters nowadays. Man, I'd love if they added the Samurai Shodown games to PSN!
I believe Samurai Shodown V Special and VI are on the PSN store, but I dunno which countries.
L-Space

Post by L-Space »

KorokoMystia wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:26 pm
L-Space wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:34 pm If I played the games agaom I have a feeling Jubei and Ukyo would be my favorites, as I've noticed that I gravitate towards the defensive/counter heavy characters nowadays. Man, I'd love if they added the Samurai Shodown games to PSN!
I believe Samurai Shodown V Special and VI are on the PSN store, but I dunno which countries.
Actually I just looked it up and they do have those along with Samurai Shodown 1-4 on PS4. I may be spending money I shouldn't this weekend... :lol:
Formerly luketheduke86
drkrash

Post by drkrash »

Samurai Shodown is also one of my all-time favorites for all the reasons Jab has already mentioned.

I loved the imagery of the series, especially how fights sometimes switched to an eerie, psychedelic background when matches were close. The soundtrack is so cool and the Sega Saturn versions could be played as standard music CDs. A lot of the designs of SS6 were less cool, but I still loved how huge that game's roster is.

In play, I loved how it cultivated a slower, deliberate style of play. It was a terrible game for button-mashers.

For my own playing, I admit it: I play Haohmaru because he's a Shoto-clone that hits like a ton of bricks.

I am excited for this series. Jab, I'll write them all up as Fight! characters as soon as I get through all the KOF characters. :P
Shadow Ops - cinematic espionage action RPG - Kickstarter live now!
Jabroniville

Kyoshiro

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImageImage

KYOSHIRO (Senryo Kyoshiro)
First Appearance:
Samurai Shodown I (1993)
Game Appearances: Samurai Shodown I-VI, SS 2019
Home Country: Japan
Weapon: Naginata
Role: Weird Fighter, Crazy Actor
PL 9 (136)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Acrobatics 8 (+13)
Athletics 11 (+14)
Close Combat (Naginata) 2 (+13)
Expertise (Actor) 8 (+12)
Insight 3 (+5)
Intimidation 3 (+7)
Perception 4 (+6)
Persuasion 3 (+7)
Ranged Combat (Fire Fan) 6 (+12)

Advantages:
Equipment 1 (Naginata), Improved Critical (Rotating Slash), Improved Critical (Chobi Jishi), Improved Critical (Fire Fan), Improved Initiative, Move-By Action, Ranged Attack 2

Samurai Shodown Fighting Style: Accurate Attack (Light Attack), All-Out Attack, Defensive Roll, Extraordinary Effort (Super Move), Fast Grab (Grab), Improved Critical (Chosen Weapon), Improved Defense, Improved Disarm, Improved Hold, Improved Trip (Throw), Power Attack (Heavy Attack), Withstand Damage (Block)

Powers:
"Shodown Fighter" Features 1: Adds Weapon Damage to Special Moves [1]

"Special Moves" (All Have Flaws: Requires Signature Weapon)
"Flame Fandango" Damage 6 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Cone +1/2, Secondary Effect 3) (Flaws: Distracting) (8) -- [12]
  • AE: "Rotating Slash" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: +2 to Hit Jumping Opponents) (Inaccurate -1) (1)
  • AE: "Twisting Heavens- Flame Kick" Strength-Damage +2 (Inaccurate -1) (1)
  • AE: "Fire Fan/Tsunami Crunch" Blast 4 (Flaws: Reduced Defenses 2) (2)
  • AE: "Toad Plague- Summons Toad" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: +2 to Hit Opponents Who Parried Last Turn) (Inaccurate -1) (1)
Equipment:
"Naginata" Strength-Damage +2 (Reach) (3)

Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Naginata +13 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Special Moves +11 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Fire Fan +12 (+4 Ranged Damage, DC 19)
Flame Fandango +6 Area (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +14 (DC 24), Toughness +3 (+4 D.Roll), Fortitude +6, Will +7

Complications:
Motivation (Surpassing His Father)- Kyoshiro's father was a Kabuki great, and Kyoshiro seeks to surpass him. He learns the martial arts in order to do so, and figures that defeating great opponents is the path to immortality.
Responsibility (Great Kabuki Performer)- Certain cultural expectations must be met to become a great Kabuki performer.
Weakness (Predictability)- Kyoshiro cannot simply "spam" out the same attack over and over again, as the opponent will expect the attacks, and be ready for them (and a counterattack). The third time he tries the same technique (or same combo of techniques) in a short span, he will be at -2 to Accuracy, AND to his Active Defenses in that round. All will decrease by 2 every successive round the same move is done.

Total: Abilities: 66 / Skills: 46--23 / Advantages: 8 + 12 / Powers: 13 / Defenses: 14 (136)

-Kyoshiro is a great example of a terrific redesign saving a pretty "meh" character. He was initially an interesting, unique design (basically a Kabuki Warrior), but his short, hunched appearance made him look very unimpressive. But the third game in the series completely renovated him, making him a LOT taller and more muscular, and giving him a much more bad-ass stance- looking more "martial arts" than "hopping ghost". The pale, bare skin helped make him look extra inhuman and frightening, too. All in all, this design really helps cement the "style" of Samurai Shodown, creating a fighter like no other.

-Unfortunately, his role in the plot is mere "Filler", like Tam Tam, Cham Cham, Wan-Fu and others- he just kind of hangs around, wanting to become a great actor... by killing people. It's "I want to own a restaurant!" and "I want my oil company to succeed!" all over again.

-Kyoshiro is pretty tall and muscular, but fights very much like Street Fighter's Dhalsim, having long range (though not extending limbs), a Blast, and a "Yoga Fire!"-type move. He's also got an Anti-Air (with another version that falls instead of rises), and a Flaming Kick with some great horizontal range. One of the few guys in the games with an Area Attack, Kyoshiro is a well-rounded opponent.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:20 pm, edited 4 times in total.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

drkrash wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:26 pm Samurai Shodown is also one of my all-time favorites for all the reasons Jab has already mentioned.

I loved the imagery of the series, especially how fights sometimes switched to an eerie, psychedelic background when matches were close. The soundtrack is so cool and the Sega Saturn versions could be played as standard music CDs. A lot of the designs of SS6 were less cool, but I still loved how huge that game's roster is.

In play, I loved how it cultivated a slower, deliberate style of play. It was a terrible game for button-mashers.

For my own playing, I admit it: I play Haohmaru because he's a Shoto-clone that hits like a ton of bricks.

I am excited for this series. Jab, I'll write them all up as Fight! characters as soon as I get through all the KOF characters. :P
I tended to play Jubei a lot,as i love to be the 'Jerk Counter' guy and make opponents afraid of coming close.... :P

I too loved the imagry of this game.KOF had a slightly better main story,imho,but the SS story was rather good as well...
Jabroniville

Galford

Post by Jabroniville »

GALFORD D. WEILER
First Appearance:
Samurai Shodown I (1993)
Game Appearances: Samurai Shodown I-VI, SS 2019, Samurai Shodown 64
Home Country: U.S.A.
Weapon: Straight Sword (Justice Blade)
Role: Head Swap (with Hanzo), American Ninja
PL 9 (167)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 6
FIGHTING 13 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 7 (+13)
Athletics 11 (+14)
Deception 6 (+9)
Expertise (Survival) 6 (+9)
Expertise (Ninja) 10 (+12)
Expertise (Sailor) 4 (+6)
Insight 4 (+7)
Perception 6 (+9)
Persuasion 4 (+7)

Advantages:
Agile Feint, Daze (Deception), Equipment 3 (Weapons- Straight Sword), Evasion, Grab Finesse, Hide In Plain Sight, Improved Critical (Overhead Slash), Improved Critical (Dog Attacks), Improved Critical (Sparkling Blast), Minion 4 (Poppy), Move-By Action, Quick Draw, Ranged Attack 8

Samurai Shodown Fighting Style: Accurate Attack (Light Attack), All-Out Attack, Defensive Roll, Extraordinary Effort (Super Move), Fast Grab (Grab), Improved Critical (Chosen Weapon), Improved Defense, Improved Disarm, Improved Hold, Improved Trip (Throw), Power Attack (Heavy Attack), Withstand Damage (Block)

Powers:

"Special Moves" (Most Have Flaws: Requires Signature Weapon)
Teleport 2 (Feats: Change Direction) (5) -- [10]
  • AE: "Plasma Blade" Blast 3 (Reduced Defenses 1) (1)
  • AE: "Spinning Overhead Slash" Strength-Damage +2 (Inaccurate -1) (1)
  • AE: "Lightning Slash" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: +2 to Hit Opponents Who Parried Last Turn) (Inaccurate -1) (2)
  • AE: "Ret's Go, Puppy!" Blast 4 (Feats: Indirect- From Above) (Reduced Defenses 2) (Flaws: Source- Dog) (Inaccurate -1) (1)
  • AE: "Shadow Copy" Illusion (Vision) 4 (Flaws: Limited to Another Galford) (4)
Equipment:
"Straight Sword" Strength-Damage +2 (Improved Critical) (3)
"Ninja Stuff"

Offense:
Unarmed +13 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Justice Blade +13 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Plasma Blade +13 (+3 Ranged Damage, DC 18)
Ret's Go, Puppy +11 (+4 Ranged Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +6

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +14 (DC 24), Toughness +3 (+4 D.Roll), Fortitude +5, Will +8

Complications:
Motivation (Justice & Truth)
Relationship (Nakoruru)- Galford is in love with the Ainu Priestess, though she is always out of reach. And sometimes she's dead.
Relationship (Poppy)- Galford's beloved dog is always at his side.
Weakness (Predictability)- Galford cannot simply "spam" out the same attack over and over again, as the opponent will expect the attacks, and be ready for them (and a counterattack). The third time he tries the same technique (or same combo of techniques) in a short span, he will be at -2 to Accuracy, AND to his Active Defenses in that round. All will decrease by 2 every successive round the same move is done.

Total: Abilities: 76 / Skills: 58--29 / Advantages: 25 + 12 / Powers: 11 / Defenses: 14 (167)

POPPY
Role:
Animal Assistant, Mount
PL 5 (55)- Minion Rank 4, Sidekick Rank 11
Normal Version:
PL 3
STRENGTH 2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -4 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE -2

Skills:
Athletics 2 (+4)
Close Combat (Natural Weapons) 1 (+6)
Expertise (Hunters) 4 (+6)
Insight 2 (+4)
Intimidation 6 (+4)
Perception 6 (+8)
Stealth 1 (+5)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Natural Weapons), Fast Grab, Improved Trip, Set-Up, Teamwork

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 6 (Acute & Extended Scent, Low-Light Vision, Scent-Tracking, Ultra & Extended Hearing) [6]
"Animal Physiology" Speed 2 [2]
"Natural Weapons- Teeth" Strength-Damage +2 [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +5 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Natural Weapons +6 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +4

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Dogs cannot speak to humans, nor use their paws to easily manipulate objects.

Total: Abilities: 20 / Skills: 22--11 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 10 / Defenses: 7 (55)

-One of the big heroes of the franchise, though a supporting one, Galford is an American Ninja, sporting the Phenotype Stereotype qualities like a constantly-smiling nature (Westerners are known to be brash and demonstrative by Japanese standards especially), blue eyes, and blonde hair. He is in love with Nakoruru, who of course remains constantly out of his reach. Despite head-swapping with Hanzo, he is a very distinct character, using his dog Poppy as a weapon (like Nakoruru does her pet falcon).

-Galford was once a sailor, but upon hearing rumors about Ninja, he sought out a female ninja (Kunoichi) master and trained in the arts himself. His motivation is pretty simple, but straight-up super-heroic- he's basically the equivalent of a Western Super-Hero or Lawman, righting wrongs and being a force for good. His stance is really bitching, though- leaning forward with his arm stretched back to grab at his blade, while he holds his other hand in front of him in a kind of "pointing with two fingers" look. Probably not the most realistic swordfighting stance, but dude has STYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYLLLLLLE...

-Galford is a very skilled, athletic fighter, hitting pretty hard despite having one of the smaller swords around. I figured it for +2 damage- it could be higher, but some of the other guys in the game are sporting SERIOUS hardware compared to this straight-blade thing he's got. Galford is quite balanced offensively, but still operates like a "Speedster" or "Trickster" fighter, having two attacks that come from above (a projectile- using his dog, Poppy- and a downward slash that involves Teleportation), a Teleport, and a "Shadow Copy" move that involves sending out two images, requiring the enemy to pick the right one- a potentially devastating move that's either Illusion or "Enhanced Accuracy/Defense" (I went with the former, since it's easier and doesn't break PL). Fighting Galford looks SERIOUSLY annoying, though he's probably harder to play.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:21 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

I know, intellectually, that no ninja in the history of everything ever would have actually worn such a costume (unless, maybe, they needed to assassinate someone at a comic con) but it's just such an awesome look. Is the Samurai Shodown 'verse in anyway connected to the Strider series? That's the earliest iteration of this rather specific costume design I can think of...

BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Jabroniville

Hattori Hanzo

Post by Jabroniville »

HANZO (Hattori Hanzo)
First Appearance:
Samurai Shodown I (1993)
Game Appearances: Samurai Shodown I-VI, SS 2019, Samurai Shodown 64 & Warrior's Rage, King of Fighters: Maximum Impact 2 & Regulation A
Home Country: Japan
Weapon: Straight Sword
Role: Head Swap (with Galford), Traditional Ninja, Bad-Ass Family Man
PL 9 (174)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 6
FIGHTING 13 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 7 (+13)
Athletics 11 (+14)
Deception 6 (+9)
Expertise (Survival) 7 (+10)
Expertise (Ninja) 11 (+14)
Insight 5 (+9)
Intimidation 7 (+10)
Perception 6 (+10)
Stealth 8 (+14)

Advantages:
Agile Feint, Daze (Deception), Equipment 3 (Weapons- Straight Sword), Evasion, Grab Finesse, Hide In Plain Sight, Improved Critical (Slash From Portals), Improved Critical (Fire Snake), Improved Critical (Shuriken), Improved Initiative, Move-By Action, Quick Draw, Ranged Attack 8

Powers:

"Special Moves"
"Sky Dance" Teleport 2 (Feats: Change Direction) (5) -- [9]
  • AE: "Ninja Exploding Dragon Blast" Blast 4 (Reduced Defenses 2, Diminished Range -1, Inaccurate -1) (2)
  • AE: "Ninja Shadow Splitter" Illusion (Vision) 4 (Flaws: Limited to Another Hanzo) (4)
  • AE: "Ninja Demon Reverse Blow" Strength-Damage +2 (Inaccurate -1) (1)
  • AE: "Ninja Shrike Dash" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Variable- Flaming & Bludgeoning Damage, +2 to Hit Opponents Who Parried Last Turn) (Inaccurate -1) (3)
"Ninpo Eibu" Concealment 2 (Visuals) (Flaws: Drops After First Attack or Hit) [2]

Equipment:
"Straight Sword" Strength-Damage +2 (Improved Critical) (3)
"Reppu Shuriken" Blast 3 (Reduced Defenses 1, Diminished Range -1) (3)
"Ninja Stuff"

Offense:
Unarmed +13 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Straight Sword +13 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Shuriken +13 (+3 Ranged Damage, DC 18)
Fire Snake +11 (+4 Ranged Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +10

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +14 (DC 24), Toughness +3 (+4 D.Roll), Fortitude +6, Will +8

Complications:
Responsibility (The Iga Ninja Clan)
Relationship (Wife & Sons)- Hanzo is devoted to his two sons, one of whom, Shinzo, was possessed by the demonic Amakusa. When Amakusa is slain, Shinzo remains soulless- his spirit trapped in the Makai realm. He loses his wife in the attempt to win back Shinzo's soul.
Weakness (Predictability)- Hanzo cannot simply "spam" out the same attack over and over again, as the opponent will expect the attacks, and be ready for them (and a counterattack). The third time he tries the same technique (or same combo of techniques) in a short span, he will be at -2 to Accuracy, AND to his Active Defenses in that round. All will decrease by 2 every successive round the same move is done.

Total: Abilities: 80 / Skills: 68--34 / Advantages: 22 + 12 / Powers: 12 / Defenses: 14 (174)

-Hanzo, to me, is the most iconic, bitching Ninja in the world. He's just SO emblematic of the "type" for me- all-black outfit; face hidden by a mask; ambiguous nature; secretive; etc. And Samurai Shodown gives him a LOT of style- the mesh sleeves and the bad-ass red scarf just absolutely complete this look, preventing what's normally a very generic design (look at Street Fighter I's Geki or Virtua Fighter's Kage), and making him one of the coolest characters in this series. This guy basically looks like a more awesome version of Ninja Gaiden's Hayabusa in every possible way.

-In the first game, one of Hanzo's two sons has been possessed by Amakusa, the Final Boss. Appearing unemotional, Hanzo nonetheless cares deeply for his family, and is heartbroken to find the soulless body of his son after Amakusa has been slain by Haohmaru. In Samurai Shodown II, he appears at Amakusa's castle, attempting to retrieve his son's soul from the Makai- the Demon Realm. When the new villain, Mizuki, has been defeated, Shinzo's soul is restored... but at the cost of Hanzo's wife, who gave her own life to strengthen Shinzo's weakened soul.

-All of this combines to make Hanzo just THE BEST NINJA EVER- not only is he packing style beyond style, but he's a mysterious bad-ass in addition to being a loving, devoted family man. And in spite of all that, he comes off like a sinister, chuckling ass-kicker, smugly laughing to himself when he teleports in and after he kicks your ass.

-Hattori Hanzo Masashige, of course, was a real person- one steeped in legend and mystery. He is notable both for being one of the most famous samurai in history, AND the leader of the famous Iga Ninja Clan- yes, a samurai AND a ninja. He was a minor samurai who got the nickname "Demon Hanzo" for his fearless tactics, eventually becoming a respected and feared fighter. He helped increase the number of ninja working under him, and may have spent his last years as a monk- like many figures from this time period, the legend and reality intermingle, as he's often had supernatural powers attributed to him, such as psychokinesis, teleportation and precognition. Basically, the Japanese considered him a real-world superhero. This is reflected in their pop culture, which features TONS of ninja named "Hanzo"- Sonny Chiba got famous playing the man and his descendants (also named Hanzo). Kill Bill gives the name to the legendary swordmaker ("If on your journey you encounter God, God will be cut").

-Hanzo is an agile, skilled fighter, but a lot more muscular and tough than your typical "Ninja Guy" in fighting games. Despite being so big and strong, his style is all about misdirection, as he can Teleport (with two different attacks- one from above, and one from below), "Clone" himself (a button press determines which Hanzo is the real one) AND go Invisible- a hugely-dangerous thing in a Fighting Game and in M&M, especially considering most fighters are more fragile than they are strong, and lose their Defensive Roll and their Dodge Bonus against him while he's Concealed- he only gets one single attack before it's broken, but still- yikes.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

I've gotta admit, I could never figure out what that thing on Hanzo's forehead was. It looked like Cyclops' visor, just worn on his forehead, above his eyes so they weren't doing anything.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Ares wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:40 am I've gotta admit, I could never figure out what that thing on Hanzo's forehead was. It looked like Cyclops' visor, just worn on his forehead, above his eyes so they weren't doing anything.
That's because the goggles do nothing!
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Ares wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:40 am I've gotta admit, I could never figure out what that thing on Hanzo's forehead was. It looked like Cyclops' visor, just worn on his forehead, above his eyes so they weren't doing anything.
I think it’s just a protective visor he never pushes down. Because Hanzo is a bad-ass.
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

Hanzo is awesome. Of course, the eternal issue with invisbility moves in fighting games is that you'll have no idea where you are, while of course, the AI has no such problem and will know where you are, and will know where it is if it goes invisible itself.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

KorokoMystia wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:58 pm Hanzo is awesome. Of course, the eternal issue with invisbility moves in fighting games is that you'll have no idea where you are, while of course, the AI has no such problem and will know where you are, and will know where it is if it goes invisible itself.
That's why i hated fighting Hanzo in Vs.CPU mode,as i had to constantly Turtle when he went Invisible.All the A.I. would do was poke for a little damage,then go invisible(the CPU woulf go for time-limit draw and win).It was very fustratingly awesome...