Buffy the Vampire Slayer reboot

The place to talk about your favorite movies, tv series, cartoons, music and theater.
User avatar
Ares
Site Admin
Posts: 1908
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:40 am

Buffy the Vampire Slayer reboot

Post by Ares » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:44 am

Well . . .

https://pagesix.com/2018/07/21/buffy-th ... the-works/
Original series creator Joss Whedon is onboard to executive produce, with writer Monica Owusu-Breen attached to write the script. The rebooted series will see a black actress take over the title role, which was played in the series by Sarah Michelle Gellar.
#currentyear , #ohofcourse

I checked to see the color of the moon outside, because I actually find myself agreeing with Anita Sarkeesian

Image

User avatar
Batgirl III
Posts: 2429
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:17 am
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: Buffy the Vampire Slayer reboot

Post by Batgirl III » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:53 am

My god... Sarkeesian and I are in agreement on something. Will wonders never cease?

Personally, I always thought the logical next series for the Buffy'verse would have been a spin-off focusing on Giles. Think about it, Buffy the Vampire Slayer's main thematic through-line was "growing from youth into adulthood," Angel's main theme was "learning that adulthood means learning how compromise without giving up your ideals," and in my mind a theoretical Giles-focused show could have been about "growing old without giving up" or something.

I still like to watch Manchild and pretend that Anthony Head's character of James is, in fact, Giles back in England during the events of Season Six.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.

Voltron64
Posts: 131
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:44 am
Location: Tucson, AZ

Re: Buffy the Vampire Slayer reboot

Post by Voltron64 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:06 pm

Personally, if you want do a reboot like this right, I'd go and make it a stealth sequel.

I mean think about it, the original ended in 2003. New show will be 2019ish. 16 years. Buffy was 16 at the start of the show. A child could have been born soon after season 7 and named after Ms. Summers.

User avatar
Batgirl III
Posts: 2429
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:17 am
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: Buffy the Vampire Slayer reboot

Post by Batgirl III » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:30 pm

Problem is that a major plot point of Season 7 was the awakening of every single potential Slayer on Earth, and then in Season 8 with the destruction of the Seed of Wonder, no new Slayers could be called. After the last of the Called-in-2003 Slayers finally dies, there will be no Slayers called until Melaka Fray in the future.

Now, it wouldn’t be hard for a television series to disregard the Season 8 and Fray comics, but officially Mutant Enemy considers them canonical.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.

User avatar
HalloweenJack
Posts: 925
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:50 pm

Re: Buffy the Vampire Slayer reboot

Post by HalloweenJack » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:44 pm

Don't care.

Hawk
Posts: 118
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:50 pm

Re: Buffy the Vampire Slayer reboot

Post by Hawk » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:12 am

I don't see how this could equal the original series. Forget about surpassing it.

User avatar
Batgirl III
Posts: 2429
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:17 am
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: Buffy the Vampire Slayer reboot

Post by Batgirl III » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:15 am

Hawk wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:12 am
I don't see how this could equal the original series. Forget about surpassing it.
But its more woke!
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.

Hawk
Posts: 118
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:50 pm

Re: Buffy the Vampire Slayer reboot

Post by Hawk » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:48 am

Batgirl III wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:15 am
Hawk wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:12 am
I don't see how this could equal the original series. Forget about surpassing it.
But its more woke!
I guess that is what is really important. :roll: Remember, if you don't like it, it is only because you are an "ist".

Chris Brady
Posts: 151
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:59 am

Re: Buffy the Vampire Slayer reboot

Post by Chris Brady » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:35 am

Can I point and laugh now? The hypocrites claimed that because it wasn't THEIR franchise, it was OK to reboot Thundercats, because it wasn't 'important' (yeah, the first cartoon to ever hit syndication and was, at least 2011, rerun constantly. Nope, not important.) But now that their franchise is being smacked around with the reboot stick, somehow they should get a pass?

Nope. If Thundercats or even She-Ra isn't sacred, then NOTHING IS. And what's the problem? It's Joss Whedon! The guy who helmed the original TV series! He'll do his usual shtick of 'Tortured Supergirl' and no one will notice that he's been a one note director since day one. Sorry, I mean, it's his series, he can do whatever he wants with it.

User avatar
Ares
Site Admin
Posts: 1908
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:40 am

Re: Buffy the Vampire Slayer reboot

Post by Ares » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:23 pm

I have to admit, the hypocrisy on display is entertaining rather than infuriating for once. You don't like Capt. America, Thor, and Iron Man being replaced with women and minorities? You don't like Iceman being gay? You don't like the ThunderCats and She-Ra reboots? Then you're some kind of -Phobe and -Ist.

But now that someone is doing it to something they like, they're up in arms. Sad thing is, if you tried to point this out to them, they'd make some kind of claim along the lines of "well, this is different!".

Part of me wants to use this as an olive branch and point out "See, what you're feeling right now? That's what we've been feeling for about the last 4 years. Now that you understand, perhaps we can finally have an actual discussion and try to move forward."

Another part of me wants to make some comment about enjoying the SJW tears, because its about that point in their narrative where they'd bring it up.

MacynSnow
Posts: 3182
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:56 pm

Re: Buffy the Vampire Slayer reboot

Post by MacynSnow » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:28 pm

Ares wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:23 pm
I have to admit, the hypocrisy on display is entertaining rather than infuriating for once. You don't like Capt. America, Thor, and Iron Man being replaced with women and minorities? You don't like Iceman being gay? You don't like the ThunderCats and She-Ra reboots? Then you're some kind of -Phobe and -Ist.

But now that someone is doing it to something they like, they're up in arms. Sad thing is, if you tried to point this out to them, they'd make some kind of claim along the lines of "well, this is different!".

Part of me wants to use this as an olive branch and point out "See, what you're feeling right now? That's what we've been feeling for about the last 4 years. Now that you understand, perhaps we can finally have an actual discussion and try to move forward."

Another part of me wants to make some comment about enjoying the SJW tears, because its about that point in their narrative where they'd bring it up.
*Stick's head out of Ugly Showercurtains as he's taking said shower in SJW tears*
What?You can't argue that this isn't a good example of "Karmic Justice" at work here.Now,if you'll excuse me,i have a well-derserved shower to get back to.....
*Goes back to taking shower while badly singing "Rocket 69" by Todd Rhodes*

kirinke
Posts: 1318
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:28 pm

Re: Buffy the Vampire Slayer reboot

Post by kirinke » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:43 am

Please, let them stake Angel at least.

I hate that character.

Chris Brady
Posts: 151
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:59 am

Re: Buffy the Vampire Slayer reboot

Post by Chris Brady » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:50 pm

kirinke wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:43 am
Please, let them stake Angel at least.

I hate that character.
Are they even going to have a interracial relationship? Or are they going to remake him as a Black vampire?

User avatar
HalloweenJack
Posts: 925
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:50 pm

Re: Buffy the Vampire Slayer reboot

Post by HalloweenJack » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:18 pm

If they even use the character at all.

kirinke
Posts: 1318
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:28 pm

Re: Buffy the Vampire Slayer reboot

Post by kirinke » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:53 pm

Chris Brady wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:50 pm
kirinke wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:43 am
Please, let them stake Angel at least.

I hate that character.
Are they even going to have a interracial relationship? Or are they going to remake him as a Black vampire?
As long as he's dusted I don't care. Vampires are not cool, romantic things!!!!! They're freaking possessed corpses!

Post Reply