Recruitment Thread (The Jabverse)- Recruiting CLOSED

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
EpicEclipse

Re: Recruitment Thread (The Jabverse)- Recruiting Till July 23rd

Post by EpicEclipse »

I seem to recall seeing The Shield before. Did you submit him to another game in the past?

Either way, he looks like a badass.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Shadowmask wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:42 pm In other words, just make the type of superhero you actually want to play and tell the rules lawyers to stop whining about broken mechanics and just play the damn game or go to hell.

It's your character, do whatcha like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eS328g08utI
... was this supposed to sound as adversarial as it comes across? Why is everyone going on about hypotheticals and rules? There's too much going on in here for me to follow again.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:21 am
Shadowmask wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:42 pm In other words, just make the type of superhero you actually want to play and tell the rules lawyers to stop whining about broken mechanics and just play the damn game or go to hell.

It's your character, do whatcha like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eS328g08utI
... was this supposed to sound as adversarial as it comes across? Why is everyone going on about hypotheticals and rules? There's too much going on in here for me to follow again.
Do what i do boss:Ignore it unless you need to. :D

As for the Shield:I woulda picked Sam Elliott,but Tom Selleck is a decent pic too..... :D
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:21 am

I'm sure it was meant to be encouragement, just seems kind of misguided in the actual message used.
Thorpocalypse

Post by Thorpocalypse »

EpicEclipse wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:56 pm
Shadowmask wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:42 pm In other words, make the type of superhero you actually want to play and tell the rules lawyers to stop whining about broken mechanics and just play the damn game.
Not sure what post this is in reference to specifically, but I would like to point out that rules lawyers enjoy using the rules. It's how they get enjoyment out of the game. And point out that rules lawyers don't complain about broken mechanics, they are more likely to ENFORCE broken mechanics.

It's the people more in favor of tossing out the rule book in favor of "rule of cool" and "making the superhero they want to play" feeling constrained by the rules that whine about broken mechanics.

A rule lawyer may admit a mechanic is broken, but will more likely insist on using it anyways, or suggest a solution that sticks with the spirit of the rules as long as consistency is maintained.
First off Shadowmask, mad props on the Digital Underground reference. Brings me back to college days when the Humpty Dance packed the black club/frat dance floor like nothing I’d ever seen. 8-)

Second, regarding rules and rules lawyering to each their own but I’m nore of “rules as kinda a guide and story trumps all” types, but I have learned the truth of what you note in regards to people enjoying the rules structure. Ya fly by the seat of our pants type need people to rein us in and give the structure you need to keep the game from getting out of hand. Having different ways of thinking within the group makes for the best experiences.
Me fail English? That's unpossible. - Ralph Wiggum
L-Space

Post by L-Space »

MacynSnow wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:44 am I like Flyby.Such a Gung-Ho young Hero....
Missed this in the flood. Thanks man, I feel like every good team needs the cocky Ace type character. :)
RainOnTheSun wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:39 am
Batgirl III wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:35 am As much as I love Tom Selleck
I just learned I cannot tell Burt Reynolds and Tom Selleck apart.
Well, if it makes you feel better I feel like Tom Selleck is the better choice.
Formerly luketheduke86
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Batgirl III wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:45 am
RainOnTheSun wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:39 am
Batgirl III wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:35 am As much as I love Tom Selleck
I just learned I cannot tell Burt Reynolds and Tom Selleck apart.
Burt Reynolds doesn't have the Golden Age cleft chin.
It is a magnificent thing. The easiest ways to tell them apart, to my knowledge, is that Tom has the lighter, curlier hair and a more full mustache. Burt tends to have a mustache that goes down further and black hair. Seriously though, there are some pictures of them side by side where it's easy to see the difference, and ones that have them side by side that makes them look incredibly similar.
But there is only one Turd Fergeson.

Batgirl III wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:35 am may I suggest the man, the myth, the legend: Doctor William Shatner, OC?
I do love me some Shatner. Say what you will, he was my Captain. But if I used that picture I would be tempted to ham it up a bit ;~)
MacynSnow wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:38 am As for the Shield:I woulda picked Sam Elliott,but Tom Selleck is a decent pic too.....
Sam Elliott? Well, he has one epic stache but isn't he a little old... *google search* Good lord that was a good looking man in his prime.
... Err, mustache. I was totally talking about the mustache. Not at all fawning over a dude.

Honestly I picked Tom mostly because I knew he had an epic mustache and he had a great face that I felt fit the kind of golden age hero I was going for. He had that look like he was tough as nails, but he'd been around and seen a lot.

And probably because I was a fan of Magnum P.I.

Flynnarrel wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:16 am Yay, good to see The Shield!
I saw Maggie around and I got nostalgic ;~)

EpicEclipse wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:57 am I seem to recall seeing The Shield before. Did you submit him to another game in the past?

Either way, he looks like a badass.
I wasn't kidding when I called him my Red Guardian. ;~)
I've pitched him in about three games so far.
One was a modern game run by 9thDoctor where he got into fight with a sabertooth tiger in his PJs, and ended with an epic cheesy speech trying to rouse the civilians.
There was another one with ClassDunce set during WWII.
And one I think Neo-Paladin ran, set in modern times, though it ran into some problems early on.

L-Space wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:02 am Well, if it makes you feel better I feel like Tom Selleck is the better choice.
Yeah. I mean, I was going to go for Ron Swanson's epic stache but... Well, Tom's just too damn pretty ;~)
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Arkrite wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:33 am And probably because I was a fan of Magnum P.I.
I saw the trailer for the reboot TV series... I wasn't a fan of the new look and feel.
HA!
I will rip that shield from you, arm still attached, scoop out your innards with it, and throw your Canadian corpse off the tallest roof I can find, Old Man!
"Something pithy this way comes."
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

I have no idea whether this will work as a character submission, but I was reading some of the Before Watchmen books and the idea of the Crimson Corsair struck me as an interesting variation of the "Weapons-Master".

Crimson Corsair - PL 9

Strength 4, Stamina 8, Agility 3, Dexterity 3, Fighting 8, Intellect 1, Awareness 3, Presence 0

Advantages
All-out Attack, Equipment 2, Improved Disarm, Improvised Weapon 5, Jack-of-all-trades, Languages 2 (Lots), Power Attack, Well-informed

Skills
Acrobatics 2 (+5), Athletics 6 (+10), Deception 3 (+3), Expertise: Lore 5 (+6), Insight 6 (+9), Intimidation 5 (+5), Investigation 5 (+6), Perception 6 (+9), Persuasion 10 (+10), Stealth 3 (+6)

Powers
Ahgrazul's Compass: Remote Sensing 5 (Affects: Visual Senses - Visual, Range: 900 feet; Simultaneous; Limited: Extended Searches) [10 pp]
Death Sense: Senses 5 (Accurate: Awareness (Necromantic), Acute: (Necromantic), Awareness: Necromantic, Radius: (Necromantic)) [5 pp]
Damage: Strength-based Damage 4 (DC 23; Dangerous, Double) - From the Cutlasses
Immortality: Immortality 1 (Return after 2 weeks) [2 PP]
Para-dimensional Extrusion: "Naked" Power 2 (Broad range (melee attacks); Affects Insubstantial 2: full rank) [4 PP]

Equipment
Dual Cutlasses [Damage: Strength-based Damage 4, DC 23; Dangerous (Improved Critical), Double (Split)] [6 EP]
Toolkit (Basic)

Offense
Initiative +3
Damage: Strength-based Damage 4, +8 (DC 23)
Grab, +8 (DC Spec 14)
Throw, +3 (DC 19)
Unarmed, +8 (DC 19)

Languages
Lots

Defense
Dodge 8, Parry 10, Fortitude 10, Toughness 8, Will 8

Power Points
Abilities 60 + Powers 21 + Advantages 14 + Skills 26 (51 ranks) + Defenses 14 = 135

Complications
  • Davy Jones's Bitch - Ostensibly, Edward is seeking the final treasure of Davy Jones. In actuality, he's just enjoying the ride. However, those chips might be called in...
  • A Man Out Of TIme - Edward is a man of the 16th century. He doesn't always get 21st century norms.
  • No Fear of Death - Edward does not come back to life easily, but he does do it eventually. As a result, he's a bit prone to charging into situations, sure that he'll come back eventually.
  • A Pirate's Code - Edward prefers not to attack females or children, and has a queer sort of honor which occasionally hampers him.
Background
Edward Smith was but a common sailor, a boatswain on Her Majesty's "Silent Running", a privateer ship in the 16th century, until he made the mistake of intefering with the punishment of a lookout's punishment. The man's name has been lost to history, and to Edward's memory, but they had committed the sin of drawing an extra ration of rum during their lookout and were condemned to keel-hauling. Edward called out the captain for it and attempted to rally the crew in a valid mutiny against a cruel captain. Sadly, his grasp of human nature failed him and he was sentenced to thirty lashes by the captain. His punishment was interrupted by the approach of a Spanish ship, which opened fire upon them. Edward awoke, underwater, and swam to the surface. What followed was a blur of survival as he clung to a last bit of wreckage from the "Silent Running", surviving by grabbing bits of wreckage and the food found on them, supplemented by the occasional caught fish. He thought his life was over when the sharks found him, only to wake up on the Flying Dutchman.

There, he was picked up by undead sailors who stole his soul and bound him to their service. He discovered that there was a way out of this half-existence, an arcane series of tasks named by a Caribbean witch named Calypso. Edward escaped the Flying Dutchman and accomplished two of the three tasks, but avoided completing the third, realizing that an eternal unlife had its own advantages. At first, he just lived a life of debauchery, Just enjoying his unlife, but then Disney's The Pirates of the Caribbean came out, and he realized that there was no real reason to stay underground. He went public, taking as his nom de guerre the title held by the man who held his soul. Very quickly, he learned that Disney's lawyers were much better than his, which meant he dropped most of his Johnny Depp mannerisms he tried to adapt, but even without those trappings, he was still an undead pirate, and he started to try his hand at heroing, mildly hampered by that his only real powers were never really dying for long and a few lifetimes as an armed thug.

Ultimately, he joined with The Defenders as they promised to establish his rights, and help with his fight against Disney to be able to be an undead pirate without having to worry about infringing upon their movie franchise.

Why Are You On The Team?
Edward is, in part, in this for the glory of things. He's also looking for protection from Disney's lawyers.

Why Might You Have To Be Away?:
Sometimes he's called by Davy Jones, Calypso, or other parties to fulfill his debts. He might also be subpoenaed by Disney's lawyers.

Why Might You Have To Leave?
As with his "Why Might You Gave to Be Away" entry, he has commitments with various evil entities.

Hero Lab and the Hero Lab logo are Registered Trademarks of LWD Technology, Inc. Free download at https://www.wolflair.com
Mutants & Masterminds, Third Edition is ©2010-2017 Green Ronin Publishing, LLC. All rights reserved.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

HA!
I will rip that shield from you, arm still attached, scoop out your innards with it, and throw your Canadian corpse off the tallest roof I can find, Old Man!
What? That girl needs a hug! :lol:
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Arkrite wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:58 pm THE SHIELD
You... you had me at Ride Forever.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:00 am
First off Shadowmask, mad props on the Digital Underground reference. Brings me back to college days when the Humpty Dance packed the black club/frat dance floor like nothing I’d ever seen. 8-)

Second, regarding rules and rules lawyering to each their own but I’m nore of “rules as kinda a guide and story trumps all” types, but I have learned the truth of what you note in regards to people enjoying the rules structure. Ya fly by the seat of our pants type need people to rein us in and give the structure you need to keep the game from getting out of hand. Having different ways of thinking within the group makes for the best experiences.
Oh, he's quoting something! I wasn't sure, lol :).
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Alright, I'll call the roster sometime tonight. Last chance for anyone to bail and save me some tough decisions :).
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:06 am Alright, I'll call the roster sometime tonight. Last chance for anyone to bail and save me some tough decisions :).
23 submissions at the end here. I don't know if there if anyone knows the record for most submissions turned in for a single game, but this is definitely the most I have seen. A lot of A-game material as well to pull from to make an amazing team. 'Luck all.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

EpicEclipse wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:21 am
Jabroniville wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:06 am Alright, I'll call the roster sometime tonight. Last chance for anyone to bail and save me some tough decisions :).
23 submissions at the end here. I don't know if there if anyone knows the record for most submissions turned in for a single game, but this is definitely the most I have seen. A lot of A-game material as well to pull from to make an amazing team. 'Luck all.
That's enough for 2 super-teams AND a Reserve roster for both!Maybe my Avengers analogy earlier was more spot-on that i thought... :shock:

Good luck,everybody! :D