Bendis moving to DC

The place to talk about your favorite novels, comic books and web comics.
Jabroniville

Re: Bendis moving to DC

Post by Jabroniville »

They say every writer in comics has their own Superman story.

It's just a pity that said Superman story is always a SHITTY Superman story...
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:49 pm They say every writer in comics has their own Superman story.

Now,to play Devil's Advocate here,we don't KNOW it'll be a shitty story......although by his track-record,it doesn't look good...
Ken

Post by Ken »

Does having a Superboy (Superman when he was a boy) story count?
Last edited by Ken on Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

MacynSnow wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:06 am
Jabroniville wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:49 pm They say every writer in comics has their own Superman story.

Now,to play Devil's Advocate here,we don't KNOW it'll be a shitty story......although by his track-record,it doesn't look good...
Heh, true enough...

I just remember either me or someone else coming up with that line circa the early 2000s, when it seemed everyone in comics was dying to work on Superman, then producing crap when they did.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Ken wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:50 pm Does having a Superboy (Superman when he was a boy) story count?
No,as those are still considered just Superboy stories....... :) .
Beleriphon

Post by Beleriphon »

Ares wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:49 pm So they're going to give Bendis a Superman book? The guy who is best at writing talking heads, flawed protagonists and street level adventures is going to handle . . . SUPERMAN? Why not put him on a Batman book or a new Outsiders book? Let him have his weird ragtag bunch of misfits series that he's better suited for?
Having actually read the Man of Steel I think its pretty good. Its punchy, BMB brings back undies o the outside look, and has a reason for doing it, setups some character drama for Superman, Lois, Jon and well somebody else I wont spoil if you haven't read it. Also, that somebody else does not appear to be a Bendis decision since they show up much earlier in both Superman and Action Comics.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

I agree. Overall I liked it. There's work to be done and such, but I think it could be a good start.

I'm actually alot more invested in the arson story than what's his name
Beleriphon

Post by Beleriphon »

HalloweenJack wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:05 pm I agree. Overall I liked it. There's work to be done and such, but I think it could be a good start.

I'm actually alot more invested in the arson story than what's his name
Yeah me too. My favourite part of the arson bit is the Superman bringing in Batman to help, and his whole schtick is saying "I'm Batman" to introduce himself, and scaring the deputy fire chief. And of course Superman calling Batman out for doing it intentionally.
Ken

Post by Ken »

I liked how they had Clark give his recent uniform to Lois for protection while she's -um- away, and he says he'll find something else to wear as Superman. It quietly explained why he's back in his classic look.

However, could someone explain to me how Jon's grandfather can show up, and while Clark and Lois are both "what are you doing here" neither of them is doing a "how can you be here"?

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo »

Ken wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:52 am However, could someone explain to me how Jon's grandfather can show up, and while Clark and Lois are both "what are you doing here" neither of them is doing a "how can you be here"?
Jor-El has been around for a while now. He's the guy who kidnapped Tim Drake over in Detective and he's appeared in the Superman books, too. I think the mysterious Mr. Oz, whom we were supposed to think was Ozymandius, was revealed to be Jor-El around the time that Post-Crisis Superman and Lois merged with Nu-52 Superman and Lois thanks to Mr. Myx...Myxitl... the magical imp from the fourth dimension.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Yojimbo wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:04 pm
Ken wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:52 am However, could someone explain to me how Jon's grandfather can show up, and while Clark and Lois are both "what are you doing here" neither of them is doing a "how can you be here"?
Jor-El has been around for a while now. He's the guy who kidnapped Tim Drake over in Detective and he's appeared in the Superman books, too. I think the mysterious Mr. Oz, whom we were supposed to think was Ozymandius, was revealed to be Jor-El around the time that Post-Crisis Superman and Lois merged with Nu-52 Superman and Lois thanks to Mr. Myx...Myxitl... the magical imp from the fourth dimension.
I hate the Radium Age.

Beleriphon

Post by Beleriphon »

Ken wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:10 pm
Yojimbo wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:04 pm
I hate the Radium Age.
Its actually the Pre-Crisis Superman and Lois almost entirely, with the usually cosmic retcon explaining why he Nu52 never happened, or rather why certain elements of it (most in Batman books) still exist. And yes its Myxy that the whole thing. Also, Jor-El totally still alive, Superman used the Cosmic Treadmill thing and then went on a time travel adventure with Booster Gold.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Beleriphon wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:39 pm Its actually the Pre-Crisis Superman and Lois almost entirely, with the usually cosmic retcon explaining why he Nu52 never happened, or rather why certain elements of it (most in Batman books) still exist. And yes its Myxy that the whole thing. Also, Jor-El totally still alive, Superman used the Cosmic Treadmill thing and then went on a time travel adventure with Booster Gold.
Pre-Crisis or Post-Crisis?

Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

I think he meant Post-Crisis/Pre-Flashpoint.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

Yeah I was wondering about Jor-El too, but I just assumed it was something in another book