For all of your Play-By-Post games.
MacynSnow

Re: Recruitment Thread (The Jabverse)- Recruiting Till July 23rd

Post by MacynSnow »

EpicEclipse wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:33 am
Flynnarrel wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:25 am
RainOnTheSun wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:04 am

"I'm an artist, darling. Eccentricities are not just tolerated but expected."
Great... if Edna from Incredibles was into genetic engineering rather than supersuit design.
With just a healthy dose of "My body is a canvas" mentality.
But that's what makes Doc such an intresting character submission....
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

L-Space wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:34 am Temper (Name) - In his normal life he goes by Sawyer, Only Dr. Cannae gets away with calling him Robert and Sawyer absolutely hates to be called Bob or Bobby.
"Is his name not 'Bruce'?"

"No, darling, it's "Robert."

"That's going to cause a little confusion. Mind if we call you 'Bruce' to keep it clear?"
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Batgirl III wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:41 am
L-Space wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:34 am Temper (Name) - In his normal life he goes by Sawyer, Only Dr. Cannae gets away with calling him Robert and Sawyer absolutely hates to be called Bob or Bobby.
"Is his name not 'Bruce'?"

"No, darling, it's "Robert."

"That's going to cause a little confusion. Mind if we call you 'Bruce' to keep it clear?"
Taking a swig of his Nuke-A-Cola,Todd returned snarkily
"Why not call him Sawyer,like he asked?"
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Updated Halcyon shes as ready as I can see to make her. :)
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

MacynSnow wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:49 am Taking a swig of his Nuke-A-Cola,Todd returned snarkily
"Clearly we're going to have to get HuMayne to spring for a Monty Python DVD boxed set for the headquarters."
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Batgirl III wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:56 am
MacynSnow wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:49 am Taking a swig of his Nuke-A-Cola,Todd returned snarkily
"Clearly we're going to have to get HuMayne to spring for a Monty Python DVD boxed set for the headquarters."
"har-de-har-har...I was just trying to be a Straight man for you,Tani..."
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Skill Monkey: Variable 4, Action (Move), Feature (Beginner's Luck), Innate, Limited to Skills - (30pp)
If you're going to be spending 30+ points in skills anyways.. 40 skill points to allocate wherever, with Beginner's Luck for those moments you need it, maybe a few ranks of Luck keyed to use of Beginner's Luck. Yes it costs more than 40 skill points normally would, but you get extreme flexibility here. 4pp more and you do it all as a free action, at which point you could probably safely drop a rank (making the end cost 26pp)

For the true skill monkey experience.
Nunya B

Post by Nunya B »

EpicEclipse wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:35 am
Skill Monkey: Variable 4, Action (Move), Feature (Beginner's Luck), Innate, Limited to Skills - (30pp)
If you're going to be spending 30+ points in skills anyways.. 40 skill points to allocate wherever, with Beginner's Luck for those moments you need it, maybe a few ranks of Luck keyed to use of Beginner's Luck. Yes it costs more than 40 skill points normally would, but you get extreme flexibility here. 4pp more and you do it all as a free action, at which point you could probably safely drop a rank (making the end cost 26pp)

For the true skill monkey experience.
Of course, Variable (or Alternate Effect) being the smart way to buy a lot of skills is also likely to make the GM say it's too smart and not permitted.
CaptainChaos

Re: Recruitment Thread (The Jabverse)

Post by CaptainChaos »

Flynnarrel wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:41 pm
CaptainChaos wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:14 am Here is the build for my submission. Comments and suggestions are welcome. The background and picture will likely be added tomorrow or Monday.

Phoebe Kruger aka Thermal - PL 10

Powers:
Combustion: Feature 1 (heat; Affects Objects Only, able to ignite flammable objects)
Detect Heat: Senses 1 (Infravision)
Immunity: Immunity 11 (Common Descriptor: Fire, Environmental Condition: Heat)
Quick Change: Feature 1
Superheated Breath: Cone Area Damage 8 (DC 23; Cone Area: 60 feet cone, DC 18, Increased Range: ranged)
AE: Blistering Touch: Cumulative Affliction 8 (Alternate; 1st degree: Hindered, 2nd degree: Disabled, 3rd degree: Incapacitated, Resisted by: Fortitude, DC 18; Cumulative)
AE: Melting Touch: Progressive Weaken 8 (Alternate; Affects: Toughness, Resisted by: Fortitude, DC 18; Affects Objects Only, Progressive)
AE: Restricted Heated Breath: Line Area Damage 8 (Alternate; DC 23; Line Area: 5 feet wide by 30 feet long, DC 18, Increased Range: ranged)
AE: Superheated Burst: Burst Area Damage 8 (Alternate; DC 23; Burst Area: 30 feet radius sphere, DC 18, Increased Range: ranged)
AE: Vaporize Water: Transform 8 (Alternate; heat, Affects: 1 Thing > 1 Thing - water to steam, Transforms: 800 lbs., DC 18; Increased Mass 2)
Thermal Flying: Flight 5 (Speed: 60 miles/hour, 900 feet/round)
I don't think you mean to apply Ranged to your Heated Breath settings in your array, CC. Ranged means you can put the origin of your effect at some point at range. Those effects seem to originate at you. Your Burst, likewise I do not know if you intended Phoebe to be the starting point or not. As it is it's more akin to a fireball spell. A replacement Extra (that I've used for fire/heat effects) might be Secondary Effect - The heat continues to combust the next round for those that were affected by the original effect.
Hmm, I must have added the ranged in error. I will have to double check that. My intention with the area burst is that it originates with Phoebe. I envision it as she is surrounded and overheats her body in an area around her. I will take another look at it tomorrow after work. I used Herolab for the build.
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

EpicEclipse wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:02 am Dr.Mercury (RainOnTheSun) - (Mad scientist?)
Great... if Edna from Incredibles was into genetic engineering rather than supersuit design.
She can still make you a supersuit! It just might make you want to eat brains and kill Spider-Man.
Nunya B

Post by Nunya B »

RainOnTheSun wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:52 am

She can still make you a supersuit! It just might make you want to eat brains and kill Spider-Man.
I feel it's important that you clarify "make you" further. Is she making a supersuit for you, or is she making you into a super suit?
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

Actually, a character who was a symbiote that could be "worn" by different normal bystanders would be an interesting challenge. Although I'm not sure how you'd stat it up off the top of my head, and it would make for some intensely awkward conversations...
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Nunya B wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:41 am Of course, Variable (or Alternate Effect) being the smart way to buy a lot of skills is also likely to make the GM say it's too smart and not permitted.
Maybe, but when it's the one major thing your character does well, you can easily offset that skilled flexibility by not min-maxing the rest of the character.

With a setup like this, a character can still be caught off guard by not having skill points in a skill they need at the moment they need it as a reaction or whatnot (Perception being a prime candidate for this, or insight since they are often used reactively, Insight especially), which happens to skill monkey types all the time. They get caught off guard because they didn't anticipate something.

The main concern a GM should have about a power like this is not having access to the ability to have a maxed skill at a given time, but the bookkeeping on keeping track of where skill points have been allocated.

Further management of the power could also be including "Non-combat skills" to the limitation, and limiting it to skills with a minimum number baseline points (Skills with at least 4sp in them natively for example). Basically, I'll argue that the principle is solid, but the execution could be tweaked to limit possible negative gameplay elements like slowdown due to bookkeeping.

Something like;
Skill Monkey: Variable 2, Action(Free), Feature(Beginner's Luck), Innate, Limited (Non-combat skills with at least 4 native skill points) - 18pp

This gives you 20sp to allocate as a free action, and only to non-combat skills with 4 skill point in them already, meaning you still need to point some investment in your actual skills, alleviating some of the perceived concern since it adds a sort of use cost of 2pp per skill you want to be able to use this with.

In the end, the purpose of it is to help make a skill monkey character someone can enjoy playing and actually not feel like they are cut off at the knees with the limited points they could allocate to skills while still be relevant in other areas.
Last edited by EpicEclipse on Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

RainOnTheSun wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:01 am Actually, a character who was a symbiote that could be "worn" by different normal bystanders would be an interesting challenge. Although I'm not sure how you'd stat it up off the top of my head, and it would make for some intensely awkward conversations...
I did something like this before, though it was a sword that could be legitimately wielded by someone....I should build that again, it was a neat concept.

Dynamics wise, it was done by having powers with Affects Other on it limited to close range, so the character had to be holding the sword to use said powers. My own turns were spent doing mental tasks and aid actions while being wielded around.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

RainOnTheSun wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:01 am Actually, a character who was a symbiote that could be "worn" by different normal bystanders would be an interesting challenge. Although I'm not sure how you'd stat it up off the top of my head, and it would make for some intensely awkward conversations...
I made that character. It was awesome!

Edit: added link.
The GM allowed Interpose to be bought multiple times so I was always taking the hit for the character that was 'wearing' me. (well, have damage anyway).
Last edited by Flynnarrel on Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Something pithy this way comes."