Recruitment Thread (The Jabverse)- Recruiting CLOSED

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Hawk

Re: Recruitment Thread (The Jabverse)- Recruiting Till July 23rd

Post by Hawk »

Batgirl III wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:19 pm Feel free to ask questions about how and why I build things over in my Character Sheets threads. I love to yammer on about it.
Thank you.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Halcyon (Rena Canary)

Height: 5' 9"
Weight: 135 lbs
Eyes: Blue
Hair: Platinum Blond

PL: 8/150pp

Abilities (62pp)

Str 1 Agi 4 Fight 10 Awe 3

Sta 2 Dex 4 Int 3 Pre 4

Skills (37pp)

Acrobatics 6 (+10 ), Athletics 7 (+8 ), Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+12 ), Deception 10 (+14, +18 Attractive), Expertise (Espionage) 11 (+14 ), Expertise (Tactics) 2 (+5 ), Insight 5 (+8 ), Intimidation 1 (+5 ), Investigation 2 (+5 ), Perception 5 (+8 ), Persuasion 6 (+10, +14 Attractive), Ranged Combat (Firearms) 6 (+10 ), Sleight of hand 1 (+5 ), Stealth 8 (+12 ), Technology 1 (+4 ), Vehicles 1 (+5 )

Advantages (35pp)

Attractive 2, Beginners luck, Benefit 3 [Agent, Cypher, Intrusion Expert], Contacts, Daze (Deception), Equipment 10, Evasion, Fascination (Deception), Grab Finesse, Improved Defense, Improved Trip, Jack-of-All-Trades, Languages 2, Power Attack, Precise Attack (Ranged/Cover), Skill Mastery (Deception), Takedown Attack, Taunt, Tracking (Visual), Ultimate Skill (Deception), Uncanny Dodge, Well-Informed

Powers

Halcyon Spy Suit (25ep)
Flexmesh Suit (Protection 2) (Subtle) 3pp
Chameleon Stealth Suit (Concealment 4 [Visual Audio] And Feature 1 Circumstance bonus +2 on Stealth Checks (Blending on Visual) 5ep
Sensor Cloak (Concealment 10 [All senses] (Limited Electronic sensors) 10ep
Thermaweave Insulation (Immunity 2 [heat, Cold] 2pp
Gecko Gear (Movement 1 [Wall-crawling] 2pp
Spy Vision Mask (Low Light vision, Binoculars) 2ep
Utility belt and pockets (Feature 1) 1pp

Spy Gear: (Cellphone, Camera, Micro recorder, Intrusion set, Mini tracers, Mini Flashlight, Multi tool, Cutting torch, Smoke bombs, flashbangs, Grapple line, Biometric decoder, Knife, Snap Baton, Taser, Paired Light Pistols(Damage 4 (Extras: Accurate [1], Ranged, Split [1]) [ 35 EP ]

Combat (16pp)

Toughness: +2, +4 (Halcyon Suit)

Dodge: 12

Parry: 12

Fortitude: 5

Will: 7

Complications

Shady Past (Rena had to do some pretty unsavory and dark things for the agency, some of those actions may come back to bite her in the future)

Femme Fatale (Halcyons got a bit of a rep as untrustworthy in the Superhero world)

Agent of X (Halcyons currently working for (insert agency here) and answers to them in some ways.

Mystery, wrapped in a riddle, shrouded in enigma (Halcyons past is as mysterious to her as everyone else what secrets does her past hide?)

========================================================
Abilities 62 + Skills 37 + Advantages 35 + Powers 0 + Combat 16 = Total 150pp
========================================================

Very little is known about the woman known as Halcyon. She showed up one day working for Alistair Argent as a gal Friday/bodyguard then one day when Argent looked like he finally had Mega Woman at his mercy she turned on him and allowed Mega Woman to turn the tables. She vanished shortly afterwards, only to appear again several months later where she delivered a mysterious package to Athena who spoke to her as if they knew each other. The conversation was brief and left members of the legion flabbergasted in how she'd even gotten into their sanctum in the first place. Athena wasn't very forthcoming on the matter either.

She would continue this pattern for several years sometimes working for various villains or heroes before vanishing just as mysteriously as shed come often with information or a device in her possession. it was not until recently that she showed up again working for a mysterious Billionaire. She scouted several metahumans in this role often without their knowledge. Sometimes she would sit down with them posing as a reporter or fan, sometimes she would pose as a damsel in distress being rescued by the heroes. Always though she gathered information and then vanished as quickly as shed come.

to what ends is she working? None can say really. The few heroes who even can glean her existence either cant or wont speak about her, and what little they do is couched in mysterious euphemisms and the like. She remains as mysterious as the day she first appeared and the mystery shows no sign of having a light shined upon it anytime soon.

Why Are You On The Team?: Halcyon is on the team because someone wants her there, or she has come across information that leads her to believe she needs to be here. Whatever her purpose it can be assured that she will do what she feels is right when the time comes to act.
Why Might You Have To Be Away?: Rena could be called away to any number of exotic locals for any number of reasons.
Why Might You Have To Leave?: Rena appears precisely when she means to and leaves when its time to do so.
As he sat there looking through the carefully prepared Dossiers laid out before him he marveled at how complete they were. looking up at the woman who stood as quiet and still as a statue he remarked in a careful tone. "You don't do anything halfway do you?"

The womans face betrayed no emotion save a small twitch of a red lip that might have been a smile.

"That's what you hired me for after all." she spoke clearly no real inflection or emotion in her voice. "I presume that you've made your choices then." she added the words a statement of fact.

He looked away carefully not wanting to vie anything away especially to her, she wasn't known as one of the agencies best freelancers for no reason. he caught her reflection looking right at him in the windows leading out to the manors carefully manicured lawns but didn't respond.

One again there was that soft almost twitch of a corner of her mouth, hen she turned towards the door.

'Leaving so soon?" he asked almost surprised by the sound of his own voice.

"Yes, I have other matters to attend." her voice floated back over her shoulder where her waist length platinum blond hair flowed in a long braid. "And you I think well have a great deal more work ahead of you dealing with them, don't underestimate them, they might surprise you."

There was the sound of a car arriving which drew his eyes for a moment and when he turned the chair around she was gone, no sing of the door having opened and no other way for her to have left, and yet she was no longer in the room. He shook his head and sat back down looking once again at the dozen or so names before him.

"A lot of work indeed." he said quietly to no one in particular.
Last edited by catsi563 on Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:31 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Paired Weapons: 8pp
@Paired Light Pistols, Knife, Snap Baton
Kind of curious how this is meant to work.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

its basically a weapon in each hand paired pistols or a knife and baton or pistol and knife/baton all subject to range of course as if shes not close enough to stab someone the knife wont come into play.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Catsi stories
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

catsi563 wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:22 pm its basically a weapon in each hand paired pistols or a knife and baton or pistol and knife/baton all subject to range of course as if shes not close enough to stab someone the knife wont come into play.
Okay, but you don't have the stats for any of those weapons listed to explain how it works when used.

Spy Gear: (Cellphone, Camera, Micro recorder, Intrusion set, Mini tracers, Mini Flashlight, Multi tool, Teargas pellets, cutting torch, Smoke bombs, flashbangs, Grapple line, Biometric decoder, 2 Floating EP) 15ep
Also, assuming you are using the stock values for the items listed from the book, Teargas Pellets and Flashbangs are worth 16ep as the highest costing. The rest being alternatives, 12 alts total, you need a few more ranks to make up 28ep worth of gear here. (16+12)

And what is the Advantage "Multi-lingual"? Is that meant to be the 3rd rank of Languages for she can speak/read/understand any human language? If so, you didn't account for that in the 47 total.

Unless something that is less than evident is going on that I am missing.

Also assuming the Skill Mastery and Ultimate Skill for "Spy" is meant to be Expertise: Espionage?
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Someone is trying to build a Skill-Monkey on a tight budget? Quickly, Robin, to the Bat-Cave!

Overall Halcyon looks good. Nice spread of Skills and all at pretty good bonuses. I have a few questions and a few suggestions to help "trim the fat" and maybe free up some points here and there.

Skill Modifiers: When I build characters, I basically try to get skills to come out to one of four final values: +5, +8, +10, +15, or +(10+PL Cap). Due to the way the DCs stack up, a +5 Bonus will let you accomplish a Tough (DC 15) Task on a routine basis and is good for representing a professional-but-not-the-greatest level of skill; a +10 Bonus will let you accomplish Challenging (DC 20) checks routinely. Here's my rough bench-marking:

+5: Skilled professional. You could do this for a living and be good at your job.
+8: Very skilled professional. You could do this for a living and co-workers would brag about you.
+10: You're one of the best in the country. Other professionals want to learn how to do what you do.
+15: You're one of the best in the world. If the Olympics had an event for this, you'd be a medal contender.
+(10+PL Cap): You are the best in the world.

Agile Feint: Given your emphasis on Deception, why not use it for your Feints?

Beginners' Luck: Lets you gain an effective 5 Ranks in any one skill of your choice that you have at 4 or fewer ranks in. As such, unless you see yourself using a particular skill in more than one scene per adventure, then most "Skill-Monkey" builds are actually better off taking this Advantage and not buying any Skills with less than 4 Ranks.

Benefit (Intrusion Expert): I have no idea what this is...? Did you mean Hide in Plain Sight?

Multi-Lingual: Did you mean Languages? If so, how many ranks? (Don't forget about Jab's House Rule for this.)

Ranged Attack (6): You're character already has a Dexterity that's well-above average and is going to be "good enough" with any Ranged Attack (albeit not super-heroic) on that Ability alone. You'd be better off spending half these points on the Skill Ranged Combat [Firearms] +6. Your primary means off attack seems to be good old fashioned guns, so why pay more than you have to? (Also, remember that Beginners' Luck also applies to the Ranged Combat Skill, like it does any others. So if you're in a pinch and you abso-friggin-lutely need to be able to use a Crossbow at professional level of skill, presto.)

Halcyon Stealth Suit: I'm not the GM, so it's Jabroniville's call... But generally when I run a campaign seeing this many Effects in a single piece of Equipment makes me think it should be a Device. Not Equipment.

I'd shuffle your Skills and Advantages around like so:
Skills (50 PP)
Acrobatics 6 (+10), Athletics 8 (+10), Close Combat [Unarmed] 2 (+12), Deception 10 (+14/+18 Attractive), Expertise [Espionage] 14 (+18), Expertise [Tactics] 6 (+10), Insight 6 (+10), Investigation 4 (+8), Perception 6 (+10), Persuasion 6 (+10, +14 Attractive), Ranged Combat [Firearms] 6 (+10) Sleight of Hand 6 (+10), Stealth 8 (+12), Technology 6 (+10), Vehicles 6 (+10)

Advantages (35 PP)
Attractive (2), Beginners Luck, Benefit [Cipher, Security Clearance; (2)], Chokehold, Contacts, Daze [Deception], Defensive Attack, Equipment (9), Evasion (1), Fascination [Deception], Grabbing Finesse, Improved Aim, Improved Defense, Improved Trip, Jack-of-All-Trades, Languages (2), Power Attack, Precise Attack [Ranged, Cover], Quick Draw, Skill Mastery [Deception], Taunt, Tracking [Visual], Uncanny Dodge, Well-Informed
That's 85 PP versus the 91 PP you'd originally spent. 6 PP can go a long way.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Shadowmask

Post by Shadowmask »

With 18 submissions so far, this might become like an Infinity War/Secret War thing.

Bring it on Omega! :D
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

catsi563 wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:22 pm its basically a weapon in each hand paired pistols or a knife and baton or pistol and knife/baton all subject to range of course as if shes not close enough to stab someone the knife wont come into play.
The way that I usually model a character who does the guns akimbo schtick is by raising the Damage Ranks above that of the baseline for a single weapon of the same type, then adding the Split [1] Modifier. For example, my Ready-to-Play Black Widow has a pair of light hold out pistols, like Scarlett Johansson used in the first MCU Avengers film, which I modeled as: Damage 4 (Extras: Accurate [1], Ranged, Split [1]) [ 10 EP ]
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Ah, Yellow Widow.
"Something pithy this way comes."
L-Space

Post by L-Space »

*Add blue Domino mask

Flyby

Robert Sawyer

PL 9 135PP

Abilities: 46pp
STRENGTH 3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 2

Skills: 19pp
Acrobatics 7/11 (+15)
Athletics 7 (+10)
Close Combat: Unarmed 3 (+11)
Deception 5 (+7)
Expertise: Science 1 (+2)
Perception 8 (+11)
Persuasion 5 (+7)
Technology 2 (+4)

Advantages: 14pp
Agile Feint, All-out Attack, Close Attack 2, Equipment 1, Evasion 2, Favored Environment (Airborne), Great Endurance, Improved Defense, Improved Initiative 2, Improved Trip, Luck 2 (Power Stunt), Move-by Action, Redirect, Set-Up, Takedown 2, Taunt, Teamwork

Powers: 49pp
Flight 10 (2000 mph) [20]
Flyby Strike: Strength-Damage +2 [2]
Force Field: Protection 3 (Impervious 7) + Immunity (Slam) [12]
Enhanced Dodge 6 (Limited: while Flying) [3]
Enhanced Parry 4 (Limited: while Flying) [2]
Enhanced Advantages 8 Italics [8]
Enhanced Skill: Acrobatics 4 [2]

Equipment: 5ep
High-Tech Domino Mask: Extended vision 2, Low-light vision, Flash Goggles (+5 vs Dazzle), GPS [5ep]

Offense:
Flying Unarmed +11 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Slam +8 (+10 Damage, DC 24)
Full speed Slam +8 (+11 Damage, DC 25)
Initiative +12

Defenses: 7pp
Dodge +11/+5 Grounded (DC 15), Parry +11/+7 Grounded (DC 16), Toughness +7, Fortitude +7, Will +5

Total: Abilities: 46 / Skills: 38--19 / Advantages: 14 / Powers: 49 / Defenses: 7 (135)

Complications:
Motivation (Thrill Seeker) - Sawyer was always a bit of a thrill seeker, this has been turned up to 11 since getting his powers.

Temper (Name) - In his normal life he goes by Sawyer, Only Dr. Cannae gets away with calling him Robert and Sawyer absolutely hates to be called Bob or Bobby.
Responsibility (Student) - A senior in college, his attendance wasn't great even before becoming a hero. If he could Super hero full time, he would in a heart beat.
Enemy (former teammates) - Originally an all around athlete, Sawyer quit all sports after getting his powers. Even though it's been a year his former teammates are still furious with him. If anything, it's gotten worse with time and Sawyer wouldn't be surprised if the attacks soon switched from verbal to physical.
Weakness (Slam) - Though usually immune to the side-effects of slamming into someone, if he hits someone of sufficient Toughness or Mass it can cause a Stunning effect.

Name: Robert O. Sawyer
Hair: Black
Eyes: Blue
Height: 5'11
Weight: 180lbs
Identity: Secret

Background: College life is pretty boring for the most part. Being from out state, everything seemed fancy and new at first, but that wore off during Freshman year. The athletic programs helped, but you could only do so much and even the was losing it's appeal. Junior year, I needed some extra money and started working for Dr. Cannae, a professor who specializes in mechanical engineering and physics. The professor was eccentric, funny, pushing 70 without showing any signs of slowing down, and appreciated my help. Cannae's dream project was his version of an EM Drive he was working on. He eventually got to the test period and wanted me to help him out. Ok look we all know where this is going. The experiment didn't go quite right and an accident that should have killed me, instead gave me the greatest opportunity ever, superpowers! Dr. Cannae's helped me get a suit (which I obviously spiced up) and has been a big part or studying and practicing my powers. I've been in the field for about a year, saved a few people, and fought a couple bad guys, but being asked to be on this new team is what's really going to set me apart. I can't wait to show them what I can do!

Why Are You On The Team?: He's currently in college he's been dreaming of being a superhero full-time and it sounds like this may be his shot.
Why Might You Have To Be Away?: He's a college senior so classes, finals, dates, or Professor Cannae needs help etc. are all reasons he may be gone.
Why Might You Have To Leave?: College (again), Family emergency.

EDIT: Made some advantages and skills enhanced, and brought back the slam immunity, since that was supposed to be part my original shtick. :)
Last edited by L-Space on Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:56 am, edited 6 times in total.
Formerly luketheduke86
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

I like Flyby.Such a Gung-Ho young Hero....
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Overall Halcyon looks good. Nice spread of Skills and all at pretty good bonuses. I have a few questions and a few suggestions to help "trim the fat" and maybe free up some points here and there.
thanks BG overall full skill monkey and advantage queen was the objective someone who could basically moneky wrench any situation with whatever was needed finesse or a club upside the noggin.

Skill Modifiers: When I build characters, I basically try to get skills to come out to one of four final values: +5, +8, +10, +15, or +(10+PL Cap). Due to the way the DCs stack up, a +5 Bonus will let you accomplish a Tough (DC 15) Task on a routine basis and is good for representing a professional-but-not-the-greatest level of skill; a +10 Bonus will let you accomplish Challenging (DC 20) checks routinely. Here's my rough bench-marking:

+5: Skilled professional. You could do this for a living and be good at your job.
+8: Very skilled professional. You could do this for a living and co-workers would brag about you.
+10: You're one of the best in the country. Other professionals want to learn how to do what you do.
+15: You're one of the best in the world. If the Olympics had an event for this, you'd be a medal contender.
+(10+PL Cap): You are the best in the world.
Scary how you and I think alike in some regard ;) because I use generally a similar run of thought in regards to skills. Her skills et was to be a spy similar to your own BW. She infiltrates and sabotages from within its part of whats given her the shady reputation among heroes.

Wait wasn't she working for Doctor Evil last month? she put us in torture devices for goodness sakes!

Yes dear but while you kept the good doctor buys monologuing I stole the codes to his doomsday machine and alerted the authorities to his bases location while rerouting his army to Timbuktu where they were eaten by rabid meerkats. *wink blow kiss*
Agile Feint: Given your emphasis on Deception, why not use it for your Feints?

Beginners' Luck: Lets you gain an effective 5 Ranks in any one skill of your choice that you have at 4 or fewer ranks in. As such, unless you see yourself using a particular skill in more than one scene per adventure, then most "Skill-Monkey" builds are actually better off taking this Advantage and not buying any Skills with less than 4 Ranks.

Benefit (Intrusion Expert): I have no idea what this is...? Did you mean Hide in Plain Sight?

Multi-Lingual: Did you mean Languages? If so, how many ranks? (Don't forget about Jab's House Rule for this.)

Ranged Attack (6): You're character already has a Dexterity that's well-above average and is going to be "good enough" with any Ranged Attack (albeit not super-heroic) on that Ability alone. You'd be better off spending half these points on the Skill Ranged Combat [Firearms] +6. Your primary means off attack seems to be good old fashioned guns, so why pay more than you have to? (Also, remember that Beginners' Luck also applies to the Ranged Combat Skill, like it does any others. So if you're in a pinch and you abso-friggin-lutely need to be able to use a Crossbow at professional level of skill, presto.)

Think it honestly comes down to habit most agile based heroes have it so did she, it seemed a good thing to have based on an acrobatic fighting style which I imagine her engaging in.

Beginners luck was based on the spy model I base it on a sort of massive trivia knowledge which I grant you could be based on well informed. I was debating some sort of expertise gambling instead but figured it would be useful for various undercover roles ie Wait I didn't know you were a nuclear physicist?? Im not but I did stay at a holiday inn express last night. By the way full house thanks for playing :P

Intrusion expert is a feature that basically allows her to do breaking and entering of any sort without circumstance penalties or tools. basically shes such an expert at infiltration of secured facilities bypassing locks of all sorts that she does it almost by rote. If she actually has tools and has time to prepare there isnt a security system in the world she cant bypass, if she has to do it down and dirty then shes still good enough to pull it off.

it could also work as hide in plain sight. though shes more likely to distract to vanish

it was based on the gadget guides spy equipment listing it cna also be a feature that presumes that any such tools cost no point cost unless circumstances remove them.

Yeah Multilingual was basically spend a hero point to leanr any language, but I might jsut shuffle 2 point to make her the polygot she should be.

Ranged attack yeah that sounds right uill shuffle some points around.
Halcyon Stealth Suit: I'm not the GM, so it's Jabroniville's call... But generally when I run a campaign seeing this many Effects in a single piece of Equipment makes me think it should be a Device. Not Equipment.
Nah I think youre right honestly If I were GMIng that would fall under a device as well and she just doesn't have the points for it. maybe on a full version Id do that but yeah reducing the suit to mere protection is probably better.

I'd shuffle your Skills and Advantages around like so:
Skills (50 PP)
Acrobatics 6 (+10), Athletics 8 (+10), Close Combat [Unarmed] 2 (+12), Deception 10 (+14/+18 Attractive), Expertise [Espionage] 14 (+18), Expertise [Tactics] 6 (+10), Insight 6 (+10), Investigation 4 (+8), Perception 6 (+10), Persuasion 6 (+10, +14 Attractive), Ranged Combat [Firearms] 6 (+10) Sleight of Hand 6 (+10), Stealth 8 (+12), Technology 6 (+10), Vehicles 6 (+10)

Advantages (35 PP)
Attractive (2), Beginners Luck, Benefit [Cipher, Security Clearance; (2)], Chokehold, Contacts, Daze [Deception], Defensive Attack, Equipment (9), Evasion (1), Fascination [Deception], Grabbing Finesse, Improved Aim, Improved Defense, Improved Trip, Jack-of-All-Trades, Languages (2), Power Attack, Precise Attack [Ranged, Cover], Quick Draw, Skill Mastery [Deception], Taunt, Tracking [Visual], Uncanny Dodge, Well-Informed
Hmm some homework to do obviously thanks for that
The way that I usually model a character who does the guns akimbo schtick is by raising the Damage Ranks above that of the baseline for a single weapon of the same type, then adding the Split [1] Modifier. For example, my Ready-to-Play Black Widow has a pair of light hold out pistols, like Scarlett Johansson used in the first MCU Avengers film, which I modeled as: Damage 4 (Extras: Accurate [1], Ranged, Split [1]) [ 10 EP ]
Weapons akimbo was what I was going for just trying to vary the weapons a little. Her fighting style was inspired a bit by IM2s fight where Widow basically trounces and entire security contingent half of them using their own weapons against them.

Catsi stories
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

EpicEclipse wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:02 am Dr.Mercury (RainOnTheSun) - (Mad scientist?)
"I'm an artist, darling. Eccentricities are not just tolerated but expected."
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

RainOnTheSun wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:04 am
EpicEclipse wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:02 am Dr.Mercury (RainOnTheSun) - (Mad scientist?)
Great... if Edna from Incredibles was into genetic engineering rather than supersuit design.
"Something pithy this way comes."
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Flynnarrel wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:25 am
RainOnTheSun wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:04 am
Great... if Edna from Incredibles was into genetic engineering rather than supersuit design.
With just a healthy dose of "My body is a canvas" mentality.