Recruitment Thread (The Jabverse)- Recruiting CLOSED

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Jabroniville

Re: Recruitment Thread (The Jabverse)

Post by Jabroniville »

RainOnTheSun wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:10 am I'm not sure about this character yet, but I'll throw her out early and see if anyone has any thoughts or feedback on her.

Costume pending.

DOCTOR MERCURY, PL 9

DOCTOR MERCURY: I like the whole "Bio-Tech" thing. Very unique, and can be used for a lot of interesting things when you spend more points (Gills? Extra Limbs? Who knows?). The SKY-HIGH Awareness kinda threw me for a second, but it looks like a quick way to just give her really good Insight & Perception and stuff :).

"Mutants", as they are in Marvel, aren't really a thing, but "born with strange powers" still happens. It can provide some mystery. The backstory of being a misanthrope works.

The Inventing aspect can work, I think, without being too broken. MAYBE have some limitations as to the time certain cocktails can be made, possibly- they may need actual time to mix or settle- things that Quickness can't enhance. I can still Hero Point you and arbitrarily make it more difficult :). Actually... how about make only the first four ranks of Quickness available for Inventing? I know that Inventions are somewhat limiting, but the potential for abuse is there, since this is basically like having 20 extra points available for a "scene".

I'm not sure how "broken" it is, per se, but I could watch it carefully. You probably couldn't have more than one per "adventure" (perhaps dangerous things happen if the drugs combine?). You could also shave off some stuff (the super-high ST & AWA), and shove things into an array, allowing more regular access to some powers (the Strength could even be IN the array). I like the character overall, though.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Psistrike wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:20 am And here is my character submission, Silver Witch. Not magical, the source of powers and how she gained them is a mystery which she seeks to unlock.

ImageSilver Witch
• Image used is sorceress lux by kyoffie12 from deviantart.
Quote "I am the silver lining that gives others hope."
Silver Witch
PL 9

SILVER WITCH: I dig the name and the power-set. REALLY low Fighting score- she better not try fisticuffs :). GL-Lite is a good set-up, overall. "Nobody recognizes her in costume" COULD be a Feature, but my own Ice Princess doesn't have that and has the same sort of deal, so I'll let SW get away with it :) (though thinking about it, maybe both should have it, lol). I like the character overall. The high Will Save is a reminder to me that I ALWAYS low-ball that stat for comics-accuracy, because I was all like "Why does a rookie hero have such high Will?" :).
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Camus wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:11 pm Mirror Man
MIRROR MAN: I like the origin and him being permanently odd-looking. I think Immunity to Energy Attacks should be 20 points baseline (Fire Damage ALONE is 5 points, as is any other kind of Energy Damage), making the "Polished Finish" power as a whole 40 points. "Mirror Surroundings" is a cool idea, though. PL 9 (145) doesn't fit the requirements, either. I think the math is off, as well- I cound 46 ranks of skills, for 23 points. 25 points of Advantages, too. I think he's 156 points (176 with what I think is "proper" for his Immunity/Reflection power), but I'd have to re-check all the math (I'm having trouble reading your "Defenses" section, but maybe that's because I'm more used to the way I do mine).
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

MacynSnow wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:40 pm Hope you like Horses folks,cause here's Mustang!
emblem on back of Jacket
MYCTAHR(MUSTANG)-Todd Beauregard-Svyenko PL/PP:9/135?
MUSTANG: haha, co-opting the old hero from that company, I see. And Complications full of my OCs! Well, if you thought that would make me biased into being more favorable to your character... you're right :).

Your Stamina is ranked at 4, but I think you mean "10". I think his abilities are only 16 points. His Skills are, too. His Defenses look to be 8 points.

A weird bit, but the Strength is too high for my universe- the strongest person on Earth is Mega-Woman, who has Strength 13 and no Power-Lifting. Mustang has five ranks fewer than her and can lift many times more. Guess I shoulda made a point of that somewhere. I'd recommend you drop that Power-Lifting and throw it into his REALLY low Will Save.

Fighting 6 + Close Combat 2 is 8, and his Strength appears to only be 8, meaning he's PL 8 unarmed.

16 + 16 + 12 + 54 + 8 = 106 points. So if you want a PL 9 (135) guy, boost his stats by a ways. There's PLENTY of room for stuff- better Saves, more Skills, better Speed, etc.
Batgirl III

Re: Original Character — Do Not Steal

Post by Batgirl III »

So her "Strength of the Ocean Depths" is actually Power-Lifting, right? I was confused for a second there. Shouldn't that whole deal be only ten points, or am I misreading something somewhere.
Oops; I neglected to include the Limited to Lifting Flaw in the write-up. Put, yes, it’s Power Lifting with a slightly more Aquaman-y name (But she’s totes not Aquaman. Srsly.) with two Dynamic Alternate Effects: swimming hella fast and running/jumping.

Generally speaking, I build most of my Paragon and Flying Brick archetype heroes with this sort of dynamic trade off (and Aquaman is basically a Swimming Brick). Since guys like Superman never seem to fly at full tilt whilst carrying the heaviest loads and often times need to brace themselves and be totally immobile to do maximum lifting. Maia can lift up to six tons, but not whilst swimming at full speed.

Also, I figure that if she can swim at 500 MPH, that kind of strength should also enable some hellacious jumping and sprinting speeds too.

Archetype was she’s a Scrapper or a very low-tier Brick, but dabbles a bit in Controller and Blaster (via weather control). Favored Environment, Environmental Adaptation, and Swimming dial her up to “11” on those rare occasions she’ll actually get to fight someone underwater... especially if that poor schmuck is an air-breather.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Shadowmask wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:53 pm Image

Tachyon
TACHYON: haha, Pappy Moe. I'll let you take English & Spanish as languages for free, since I do that with my own builds :). "Impatient Speedster" works, and I especially like "Superhero Mom". Also, the whole "Superhero = Fame" thing is a big part of my setting, so that works if at least someone's in it for the fame. I don't image a bright future for her singing career with only +5 to it, though!

I'm seeing some issues combat-wise. +2 Damage & +10 to hit only makes her PL 6 offensively. I had some trouble reading her Defenses, as you have +0 but both are actually +14. I guess she's PL 9 defensively, then :).
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Ghost of Krypton wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:50 pm Aeterna and Archimedes
AETERNA: Solid, high-tier power-set. What's his backstory? Is Archimedes like an assister or something? Or a mechanical implant? I don't see it listed on his sheet aside from some Advantages. The Luck stuff is interesting.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Ken wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:43 am le Petit Hercule - PL 9
LA PETIT HERCULE: haha, an arrogant French strongman, AND he ties into the backstory of one of my least-used Golden Agers. You suck-up :).

The two Close Attacks seem superfluous to me- they can probably be combined into one.

Which arrays are springing off of one another? There's no baseline costs to help me figure out what's an Alt-Effect of what. Like, is his Fighting Strength packing an Alt-Effect that's Extra Lifting? What's his total Lifting Strength, too? Like I mentioned with Mustang, my "Baseline Strengths" fit more the Mark Gruenwald Marvel Universe than the "pick up cities" DC one.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Flynnarrel wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:19 amRosa
SEMILLA: You can take "Knows Two Languages" for free- that's how I usually do it :). I'm digging the varied powers, and how some stuff comes from a Device. I'm kind of impressed you got all those powers into a 135-point build. I can see she's low on Skills & Advantages, but as a "Powerful Rookie", that fits.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Alright, it's an interesting bunch so far. I'm seeing a LOT of "High Strength" guys in here, which I was iffy about, but it actually fits some stuff- it's one of the more common power-sets of my universe (to the point of being rather generic, with some "Super-Steroids" and stuff justifying a lot of low-tier powerhouses). Plus there's a story idea there.

I'm noticing a lot of people taking ranks of Luck. I almost NEVER touch that for my builds- is that one of those "One Stat To Rule Them All" things :)?
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:46 am
Flynnarrel wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:19 amRosa
SEMILLA: You can take "Knows Two Languages" for free- that's how I usually do it :). I'm digging the varied powers, and how some stuff comes from a Device. I'm kind of impressed you got all those powers into a 135-point build. I can see she's low on Skills & Advantages, but as a "Powerful Rookie", that fits.
Thanks for the review. I look forward to seeing how this all shakes out.
"Something pithy this way comes."
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Thinking more about the name thing, mangō taniwha is the name the Maori give to the great white shark and mako taniwha to the mako shark (its source of the English name).

So perhaps she and her father are both “officially” named Taniwha, but unofficially he’s the Mangō Taniwha and she’s the Mako Taniwha... I still like the media screws it up so she’s “Sea Monster” in some reports, “Mako” in others, “Shark” in yet another. Fits the idea of her being a D-List hero that doesn’t have much “pull” with the celebrity-focused media.

I mean, in our real world, almost everyone ignores New Zealand already. WorldMapsWithout.NZ is a hilarious blog about, well, world maps without New Zealand. There’s also a subreddit and a hashtag. The handful of celebrities who hail from New Zealand generally only become famous after they move someplace else (or they’re named Peter Jackson).

So if the Jabverse treats superheroes akin to celebrities and sports stars, then a heroine from “Australia’s Canada” probably isn’t going to be well represented in North American media.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

I am going to be making a martial artist, scrapper/striker type. While you might think chi-use at first, I'm actually going for a kinetic energy enhancer to pop in a little energy controller. Working on the build itself now, what I am thinking of though, is there any kind of televised superhero fighting federation type deal? Superpowered equivalent of the WWE?
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

EpicEclipse wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:19 am I am going to be making a martial artist, scrapper/striker type. While you might think chi-use at first, I'm actually going for a kinetic energy enhancer to pop in a little energy controller. Working on the build itself now, what I am thinking of though, is there any kind of televised superhero fighting federation type deal? Superpowered equivalent of the WWE?
Yes, indeed! Here's some guys from it:
The Crusher
The Ogre

Typically, it's a place for criminals and "quasi-legal" types, but it's VERY common for superheroes to get railroaded into joining. There's even a guy whose power actually increases the likelihood of the heroes fighting.
Ghost of Krypton

Post by Ghost of Krypton »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:28 amAETERNA: Solid, high-tier power-set. What's his backstory? Is Archimedes like an assister or something? Or a mechanical implant? I don't see it listed on his sheet aside from some Advantages. The Luck stuff is interesting.
Thanks, basic concept at this point is he's just discovering his Olympian nature, and Archomedes assisted him in remembering it. Earned PP will likely go into Archimedes and evening him out with some combat training.

A buddy of mine is over from Ottawa this weekend, and we're going Old School Shadow Run so break out your mountain of d6's! That does mean I'll be unlikely to update with backstory & complications until Sunday though ...