Batgirl III's Character Thread (Simon Baz, Lady Shiva)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Batgirl III

Red Grant

Post by Batgirl III »

RED GRANT
James Bond Character
Power Level 6 ( 90 PP )

'From Russia With Love' (1963) wrote:James Bond: Red wine, with fish. Well, that should have told me something.

Donald Grant: Well, you might know all the right wines... but you're the one on your knees. How does it feel, old man?

James Bond: "Old man?" Is that what you chaps in S.M.E.R.S.H. call each other?

Donald Grant: (puzzled) S.M.E.R.S.H?

James Bond: (frowns, then realizes)... Of course. S.P.E.C.T.R.E. (pause) You've been playing us all against each other this whole time, haven't you?
ABILITIES
Strength 2
Stamina 2
Agility 3
Dexterity 3
Fighting 8
Intellect 1
Awareness 2
Presence 1

SKILLS
Athletics 5 (+7), Deception 7 (+8), Expertise [Counterintelligence] 4 (+5), Insight 2 (+4), Intimidation 7 (+8), Perception 3 (+5), Ranged Combat [Firearms] 5 (+8), Sleight of Hand 5 (+8), Stealth 5 (+8), Technology 3 (+4), Treatment 4 (+5)

ADVANTAGES
Defensive Roll (2), Diehard, Equipment (2), Improved Hold, Improved Initiative (1), Languages (2), Ultimate Toughness

EQUIPMENT ( 10 EP )
Mauser C96 Pistol (7.63 x 25mm) Heavy Pistol Damage 4 (E: Ranged) [ 8 EP ]
AE: Llama Model XVIII (.25 ACP) Hold-Out Pistol Damage 2 (E: Accurate [1], Ranged) [ 1 EP ]
AE: Watch with Concealed Garotte Wire Enhanced Advantage 1 (Chokehold; E: Subtle [1]) [ 1 EP ]

DEFENSE
Dodge (8) Base 5
Parry: (8) Base 0
Fortitude: (6) Base 4
Toughness: (2/4) ——
Will: (4) Base 2

WORKSHEET
Attack: 8 Effect: 2 Total: 10 (Unarmed)
Attack: 8 Effect: 4 Total: 12 (Mauser C96)
Attack: 10 Effect: 2 Total: 12 (Llama Model XVIII)
Dodge: 8 Tough: 2/4 Total: 10/12
Parry: 8 Tough: 2/4 Total: 10/12
Fort: 6 Will: 4 Total: 10

ABILITIES [ 44 pp ] +
SKILLS [ 25 pp ] +
ADVANTAGES [ 10 pp ] +
POWERS [ 0 pp ] +
DEFENSES [ 11 pp ] =
90 PP TOTAL

Education: Unknown
Date of Birth: Unknown
Base of Operations: SPECTRE Island
Height: 5' 10" (1.79 m)
Weight: Unknown
Eyes: Blue
Hair: Blonde
Race: Human
Identity: Secret
Religion: Unknown
Relationships: Unknown
Legal Status: Unknown

Background:
Donald 'Red' Grant (Donovan in the novel) was a convicted murderer who appeared in the 1957 novel From Russia with Love and the 1963 film of the same name. He was recruited by Rosa Klebb for a mission to steal a Lektor decoding machine from the Russian's with the inadvertent assistance of a Russian girl and the British Government.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Batgirl III

Re: Batgirl III's Character Thread (Transformers OC, Red Grant)

Post by Batgirl III »

Batgirl III’s Dictionary of Jargon

Deus Ex Rectum: /ˈdeɪ.əs ɛks ˈɹɛktəm/ (Noun) Any resolution to a story that does not pay due regard to the story's internal logic and that is so unlikely that it challenges suspension of disbelief, and presumably was pulled straight out of the creator's ass. See Also: Shyamalan Swerve (noun).

Doom Patrol Fandom: (Noun) When particulary low-selling work far has an expecially vocal or noticible fandom that never translates into actual popularity, as the work never seems to sell, despite near-endless online praise. See Also: Browncoats (noun).

Frank Miller Syndrome: /fɹæŋk ˈmɪl.ər ˈsɪndɹoʊm/ (Noun) A recognizable pattern of signs, symptoms and/or behaviors where a comic book writer (or other creative type) becomes more concerned with their celebrity status than the quality of their work; where contemporary works seem like a shallow parody of their own previous works; and the quality of contemporary works are so poor they begin to retroactively make older works seem worse. See Also: Curse of the Shyamalan (noun), Daikatanic (adjective).

Ghostbusters Defense /ɡoʊst bʌstərs dɪˈfɛns/ (Verb) The action of preemptively defending or protecting a work from criticism by calling anyone with a negative opinion of the work as Islamophobic, Racist, Sexist, Transphobic, or some other pejorative -ist or -ism. See Also: Battlefield Prep (noun), HuffPolling (verb), Sarkeesian Harasment (noun).

Malkavender (Noun) and (Adjective) A neologism formed from the names of the Malkavian Clan of Vampire the Masquerade and the Kender race of Dragonlance. Refers to a character archetype, or the actions taken by such characters, that are meant to be whacky, insane, humorous, or endearing... and may even be all of these in scripted works. But come across as random, disruptive, obnoxious, and annoying in the context of an RPG. See Also: Fish Malk (noun), Chaos Magick! (adjective), Chaotic Neutering (verb).

Miniseries Masterpiece, Obnoxiously Ongoing (Verb) A character or other concept that was great in a one-off storyline, but becomes instantly stale and absolutely crap when made part of the ongoing continuity. See Also: Hawkmaning (verb), Rorschaching (verb).

Red Guardian Syndrome: /ɹɛd ɡɑɹdi.ən ˈsɪndɹoʊm/(Noun) A recognizable pattern of signs, symptoms and/or behaviors where a group of fans heap tons of praise upon an extraordinarily minor character, often demanding the characters be brought back and used in a major way. See Also: Derpy-Hooved (adjective).
Last edited by Batgirl III on Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ken

Post by Ken »

I'd have given Grant less damage Roll, and more Stamina (and payed less to leave Fortitude the same). He took Kleb's brass knuckles in his gut without grunting, rolling, or moving.

But still, a good take on him.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Ken wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:59 am I'd have given Grant less damage Roll, and more Stamina (and payed less to leave Fortitude the same). He took Kleb's brass knuckles in his gut without grunting, rolling, or moving.

That's why I gave him Ultimate Toughness; So he can completely "no sell" the occasional attack for intimidation purposes.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Batgirl III wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:02 am
Ken wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:59 am I'd have given Grant less damage Roll, and more Stamina (and payed less to leave Fortitude the same). He took Kleb's brass knuckles in his gut without grunting, rolling, or moving.

That's why I gave him Ultimate Toughness; So he can completely "no sell" the occasional attack for intimidation purposes.
Ah. Cool.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Batgirl III

He's the man, the man with the Midas touch...

Post by Batgirl III »

GOLDFINGER
James Bond Character
Power Level 6 ( 90 PP )

'Goldfinger' (1964) wrote:Bond: Do you expect me to talk?

Goldfinger: (looks back, laughing) No, Mr. Bond, I expect you to die!
ABILITIES
Strength 1
Stamina 1
Agility 1
Dexterity 2
Fighting 2
Intellect 5
Awareness 3
Presence 5

SKILLS
Deception 7 (+12), Expertise [Business] 5 (+10), Expertise [Criminal] 11 (+16), Expertise [Jewler] 2 (+7), Expertise [Tactics] 5 (+10), Insight 5 (+8), Persuasion 10 (+15), Ranged Combat [Firearms] 5 (+6)

ADVANTAGES
Assessment, Benefit [Wealthy (4)], Connected, Contacts, Equipment (2), Fascinate [Deception], Taunt, Well-Informed

EQUIPMENT ( 10 EP )
Gold-Plated Colt Official Police (.38 Special) Revolver Damage 4 (E: Accurate [1], Improved Critical [1], Ranged) [ 10 EP ]

DEFENSE
Dodge (4) Base 3
Parry: (4) Base 2
Fortitude: (4) Base 3
Toughness: (1) ——
Will: (8) Base 5

WORKSHEET
Attack: 2 Effect: 1 Total: 3 (Unarmed)
Attack: 8 Effect: 4 Total: 12 (Revolver)
Dodge: 4 Tough: 1 Total: 5
Parry: 4 Tough: 1 Total: 5
Fort: 4 Will: 8 Total: 12

ABILITIES [ 40 pp ] +
SKILLS [ 25 pp ] +
ADVANTAGES [ 12 pp ] +
POWERS [ 0 pp ] +
DEFENSES [ 13 pp ] =
91 PP TOTAL

Height: 5'0" (1.52 m)
Eyes: Blue
Hair: Red
Identity: Public
Legal Status: Citizen of Switzerland with no criminal record.

Background:
Auric Goldfinger is the main antagonist in the third James Bond film Goldfinger, based on Ian Fleming's novel of the same name.

In the film, Goldfinger is a successful British businessman, owning many properties throughout the world including "Auric Enterprises, AG" in Switzerland, and a stud-farm in Kentucky called "Auric Stud". However, his real business is that of internationally smuggling gold, using the method of having a car built with gold body castings and transporting it via airplane before having the body-work re-smelted once it arrives at its destination. After Goldfinger's business affairs come under suspicion from the Bank of England, Bond is sent to investigate.

He's a smart man in both the novel and the film, but the film version comes off as smarter for a simple reason: in the book, Novel!Goldfinger's plan really was to steal the gold, which as the film points out is impossible to do in the window of time that Goldfinger has. Movie!Goldfinger instead uses the gold's theft as a cover, and in fact wants to render it radioactive and thus useless.

Build Notes:
Goldfinger is not my favorite film in the franchise, but it is a very close second. Without a doubt the most iconic entry in the entire James Bond franchise this is the film that has it all. Most of everything we associate with the series had been present in the other two films, just not all at once, but this is the one that brought them all together. The smug snake villain, the quirky henchman, the femme fatale, the gadgets, the cool car, the snarky one-liners. Goldfinger added the cool car and the thematic theme song. Shirley Bassey's sexy growl just tells you everything you need to know about this film and the franchise as a whole.
Ken

Re: Batgirl III's Character Thread (Goldfinger)

Post by Ken »

And he cheats at cards. And he's a sore loser when someone catches him at it.

MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Ken wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:59 am And he cheats at cards. And he's a sore loser when someone catches him at it.
If he'd killed the dude he lost to,that'd be just a Villianous Sore Loser.But NNNOOO,they had to show you he's a Master Villian by KILLING THE WOMAN THAT WAS HELPING HIM! :shock:
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

The novel has James Bond encountering Auric Goldfinger and spoiling his card cheating before MI-6 assigns Bond to the investigation into Goldfinger‘s dealings. Bond busts up his cheating just because it offends him. ;) q

I think the film adaption did the right thing by making Goldfinger’s plot much more sensible (and keeping Pussy Galore’s lesbianism as subtext instead of text), but I think the moving the card game was a misstep.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Batgirl III wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:03 am The novel has James Bond encountering Auric Goldfinger and spoiling his card cheating before MI-6 assigns Bond to the investigation into Goldfinger‘s dealings. Bond busts up his cheating just because it offends him. ;) q

I think the film adaption did the right thing by making Goldfinger’s plot much more sensible (and keeping Pussy Galore’s lesbianism as subtext instead of text), but I think the moving the card game was a misstep.
Not necessarily.I personally think them moving the card game worked better thematically,as the cheating still offended J.B. but it also gave Goldfinger a slightly better reason to hate Bond as that was ALOT of money to lose at that time.

And i agree,the Movie plan was Much smarter,as it not only De-valued US and British currency,but also increased his own net worth at the same time.Only snag i saw was that he'd be hunted down like a Rabid Dog afterward(even S.P.E.C.T.R.E would be pissed at this guy...).
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Batgirl III wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:51 am Deus Ex Rectum: /ˈdeɪ.əs ɛks ˈɹɛktəm/ (Noun) Any resolution to a story that does not pay due regard to the story's internal logic and that is so unlikely that it challenges suspension of disbelief, and presumably was pulled straight out of the creator's ass. See Also: Shyamalan Swerve (noun).

Doom Patrol Fandom: (Noun) When particulary low-selling work far has an expecially vocal or noticible fandom that never translates into actual popularity, as the work never seems to sell, despite near-endless online praise. See Also: Browncoats (noun).

Frank Miller Syndrome: /fɹæŋk ˈmɪl.ər ˈsɪndɹoʊm/ (Noun) A recognizable pattern of signs, symptoms and/or behaviors where a comic book writer (or other creative type) becomes more concerned with their celebrity status than the quality of their work; where contemporary works seem like a shallow parody of their own previous works; and the quality of contemporary works are so poor they begin to retroactively make older works seem worse. See Also: Curse of the Shyamalan (noun), Daikatanic (adjective).

Ghostbusters Defense /ɡoʊst bʌstərs dɪˈfɛns/ (Verb) The action of preemptively defending or protecting a work from criticism by calling anyone with a negative opinion of the work as Islamophobic, Racist, Sexist, Transphobic, or some other pejorative -ist or -ism. See Also: Battlefield Prep (noun), HuffPolling (verb), Sarkeesian Harasment (noun).

Miniseries Masterpiece, Obnoxiously Ongoing (Verb) A character or other concept that was great in a one-off storyline, but becomes instantly stale and absolutely crap when made part of the ongoing continuity. See Also: Hawkmaning (verb), Rorschaching (verb).

Red Guardian Syndrome: /ɹɛd ɡɑɹdi.ən ˈsɪndɹoʊm/(Noun) A recognizable pattern of signs, symptoms and/or behaviors where a group of fans heap tons of praise upon an extraordinarily minor character, often demanding the characters be brought back and used in a major way. See Also: Derpy-Hooved (adjective).
PLAGIARIST :P.

I dig the examples, though :)
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Just wanted to have them all in a single place for reference.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

ODDJOB
James Bond Character
Power Level 6 ( 90 PP )

ABILITIES
Strength 3
Stamina 5
Agility 2
Dexterity 2
Fighting 5
Intellect 0
Awareness 3
Presence 0

SKILLS
Close Combat [Unarmed] 3 (+8), Deception 5 (+5), Expertise [Valet] 5 (+5), Insight 3 (+6), Intimidation 5 (+5), Perception 3 (+6), Ranged Combat [Firearms] 4 (+6), Ranged Combat [Thrown] 2 (+4), Stealth 3 (+5), Vehicles 3 (+5)

ADVANTAGES
Defensive Roll (1), Equipment (2), Improved Disarm, Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Improved Trip, Power Attack, Ultimate Strength

POWERS
Korean Karate Damage 1 (Strength-based; E: Improved Critical [1]) [ 2 PP ]
No Sell Impervious Toughness 4 (F: Limited to Bludgeoning) [ 2 PP ]
Razor-Brimmed Hat Damage 3 (Strength-based; E: Improved Critical [1], Pentrating [2], Ranged; F: Easily Removable) [ 9 PP ]

EQUIPMENT ( 10 EP )
Supressed M1911A1 (.45 ACP) Heavy Pistol Damage 4 (E: Accurate [1], Ranged, Subtle [1]) [ 10 EP ]

DEFENSE
Dodge (4) Base 2
Parry: (6) Base 1
Fortitude: (6) Base 1
Toughness: (5/6) ——
Will: (4) Base 1

WORKSHEET
Attack: 8 Effect: 4 Total: 12 (Korean Karate)
Attack: 6 Effect: 6 Total: 12 (Razor-Brimmed Hat)
Attack: 8 Effect: 4 Total: 12 (M1911A1 Pistol)
Dodge: 4 Tough: 5/6 Total: 9/10
Parry: 6 Tough: 5/6 Total: 11/12
Fort: 6 Will: 4 Total: 10

ABILITIES [ 40 pp ] +
SKILLS [ 18 pp ] +
ADVANTAGES [ 9 pp ] +
POWERS [ 13 pp ] +
DEFENSES [ 5 pp ] =
85 PP TOTAL

COMPLICATIONS
Mute: Oddjob cannot speak, communicating only by grunts and glowering looks.

Date of Birth: Unknown
Height: 5'10" (1.78 m)
Weight: 220 lb (100 kg)
Eyes: Brown
Hair: Black
Identity: Secret
Legal Status: Unknown

Background:
Oddjob is the loyal henchman of Auric Goldfinger in the 1959 James Bond novel Goldfinger and its 1964 film adaptation. Oddjob's real name is unknown. He is named by Goldfinger to describe his duties to his employer. Like all of Goldfinger's staff, his is Korean. Oddjob is extremely strong, as shown in one sequence where he breaks the thick oak railing of a staircase with karate chops of his hand and shatters a mantel with his foot. In the film, Oddjob demonstrates his strength in a number of scenes, including one where he crushes a golf ball with one hand, as well as during the climactic fight scene with Bond in which he is struck in the chest by a gold bar thrown at him and struck in the head with a wooden object used as a club. He barely flinches after both these attacks and is otherwise invincible against Bond's futile hand-to-hand fight.

Oddjob is seen in full for the first time, in the film, when Bond meets Goldfinger for a round of golf. He is described by Goldfinger as "an admirable manservant but mute." The novel explains this as a result of his being born with a cleft pallet, no explanation is given in the film. Oddjob only has four lines of 'dialogue' throughout the film: in his first line, upon pretending to have found Goldfinger's missing golf ball, he exclaims "Aha!". The second time, after killing Tilly Masterson, he instructs his men to dispose of her body by merely pointing at them and saying "Ah! Ah!". The third time, he says "Ah!" to order Bond to put on a gas mask before entering Fort Knox. The fourth time, as Bond electrocutes him in Fort Knox, he yells out a final long, loud "Arrgh!".

Oddjob is shown to be fanatically loyal to Goldfinger and his scheme, apparently even willing to die in the nuclear explosion in Fort Knox rather than allow the bomb's disarmament. Oddjob's demeanor remains constant, most of the time he is seen to smile broadly whenever he encounters Bond, even during their fight scene. The only time he shows anything resembling fear or wariness is when Bond attempts to use his own hat against him. When thrown at him, however, Oddjob simply dodges the hat with ease, causing it to get stuck between a pair of metal bars. When he goes to retrieve his hat and tries to pull it free, Bond grabs a sparking wire severed by the hat earlier on and thrusts the open end onto the bars. The electric current transfers to the bars and then to the metal in the hat's rim, which electrocutes Oddjob.
Jabroniville

Re: Batgirl III's Character Thread (Goldfinger, Oddjob)

Post by Jabroniville »

Cool Oddjob! He was victim to a lot of "Gentleman's Agreements" in GoldenEye's N64 game owing to his tinier target. Oddly, his portrayer, pro wrestler Harold Sakata, was billed at 5'10".
Batgirl III

Re: Batgirl III's Character Thread (Goldfinger, Oddjob)

Post by Batgirl III »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:00 am Cool Oddjob! He was victim to a lot of "Gentleman's Agreements" in GoldenEye's N64 game owing to his tinier target. Oddly, his portrayer, pro wrestler Harold Sakata, was billed at 5'10".
Near as I can figure, the developers for the N64 GoldenEye must have gotten Oddjob confused with (or conflated with) Knick Knack from The Man with the Golden Gun. Knick Knack was played by Hervé Villechaize, best known as Tattoo, the "Ze plane! Ze plane!" guy from Fantasy Island.

Two Asian guys dressed in butler's outfits and wearing fancy hats. Yeah,m sure, one of them is 3'11" and the other is 5'10", but, really... Who can tell the difference?