Black Panther Movie

The place to talk about your favorite movies, tv series, cartoons, music and theater.
greycrusader

Re: Black Panther Movie

Post by greycrusader »

In fairness to Chris Brady, continuity wasn't exactly a big thing for DC during the Silver Age or even the early Bronze Age of comics-there well may have been a story or two he read (from reprints, digests, back-issue bins or what have you) that shows Paradise Island just as he remembers; this was especially true during the late 1960s and very early 1970s, so much so that a lot of the stories were consigned to "Earth-B", once COIE rolled around).

All my best.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

After watching this movie again, I had kind of a revelation about Erik Killmonger.

Erik is someone with a hard life, someone who was left an orphan by the people who should have been family. But in spite of that, he was able to rise through the ranks of the US military, and become one of the most dangerous men on the planet. He could have easily become a high end SHIELD Agent and hero along the lines of the Black Widow, but he instead chose to focus on his revenge.

He needed something to hate.

So he hated Wakanda for leaving him an orphan and depriving him of his birthright. He hated the rest of the world for not bringing Wakanda to task. And he decided to hate white people, using the narrative of slavery as an excuse to blame them for his problems and as a rallying cry for others of similar mindset.

And this is despite his own country abandoning him here, and the United States apparently giving him the opportunity to become one of the greatest soldiers alive.

Intentional or not, Erik is basically a perfect embodiment of the victim mentality. He peppers his rhetoric with talk about slavery, of the horrors the white men have inflicted on "his people", when the people that hurt him the most were "his people". And instead of appreciating the life he was able to make for himself, he hates the country he was abandoned in just as much as the country that abandoned him. The best thing I can say about him is that he hated Wakanda just as much, whereas a lot of similar folks refuse to acknowledge how Africa sold its own people into slavery.

And what is the ultimate goal of the victim narrative? The person who blames everyone else for his problems? They want to see most of the world burn and rule over what's left.

I can't imagine this was done on purpose, but that whole thing just really "clicked" for me.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

Finally watched this the other night.

It was good. It didn't rock my world or anything but it was a good movie.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

HalloweenJack wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:19 pm Finally watched this the other night.

It was good. It didn't rock my world or anything but it was a good movie.
Agreed. It's what I would call an "average MCU film". But then if the average Hollywood movie is a 5 out of 10, then the average MCU film is more like a 7 or an 8.

Then again, my movie rating scale is:

01 - Horrible. I likely wanted the people involved with the film to suffer in some way.
02 - Very bad. Not only was it poorly made, it actively pissed me off.
03 - Bad movie. Not only didn't like it, it displayed a level of incompetence that denotes genuine bad film-making.
04 - Below average, saw it once and was disappointed, likely won't watch it again. Bad but inoffensive.
05 - Average film, saw it once and didn't regret it, but probably won't watch it again unless prompted.
06 - Above average, will watch it again occasionally if its on TV.
07 - Good film, will actively choose to watch it from my collection, minimum rating to purchase a movie for non-riffing purposes.
08 - Very good film, something I can reliably put on at any time to enjoy or put me in a good mood.
09 - Exceptional film, something that I deeply appreciate and enjoy.
10 - Favorite movies of all time. If it's on TV, I will actively stop what I'm doing. Can watch this movie at any time, or even back to back multiple times.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

I finally saw BP and wow, what a mediocre movie, it wasn't even good in comparison to the other MCU movies so I definitely don't understand all the 'it's the best comic book movie ever, it deserves ALL the Oscars' praise I've seen since it's release. I love the majority of the MCU films and will happily watch them over and over again but BP has become only the second MCU film that I've seen once or twice and now have no desire to see again. The first was Spider-Man: Homecoming which I felt really disappointed by yet I don't exactly know why, I loved this version of Spidey in Civil War. I tend to ignore The Incredible Hulk as an MCU movie.

Oh and the scenes at the waterfall where they do that shoulder shrug dance just made me laugh, I suppose that somehow makes me racist but I couldn't help it.

The random mixture of 'African culture' in BP reminded me of Coming To America, at least that film was supposed to be funny.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

M4C8 wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:29 pm . The first was Spider-Man: Homecoming which I felt really disappointed by yet I don't exactly know why, I loved this version of Spidey in Civil War.

HalloweenJack echoes thy sentiment
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Oh and the scenes at the waterfall where they do that shoulder shrug dance just made me laugh, I suppose that somehow makes me racist but I couldn't help it.
Two words, M4C8: Morris Dancing.

Every culture has their own quirks that look silly to others.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Ken

Post by Ken »

HalloweenJack wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:40 pm
M4C8 wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:29 pm The first was Spider-Man: Homecoming which I felt really disappointed by yet I don't exactly know why, I loved this version of Spidey in Civil War.
HalloweenJack echoes thy sentiment
Well, I do know why I didn't enjoy Spider-Man: Homecoming. I can't say I was disappointed in it, because to be disappointment implies that I had expectations that it didn't live up to. No. It met my expectations, brilliantly. They did a beautiful job of meeting, and even exceeding my expectations.

No. My problem was, and is, that the soap opera of Peter Parker's private life does nothing for me.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

Batgirl III wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:50 pm
Two words, M4C8: Morris Dancing.

Every culture has their own quirks that look silly to others.
Oh believe me I hate almost all things 'traditional' no matter where it's from (especially so if it's religious) and Morris Dancing provokes genuine hatred by the majority of the population here in Britain.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

Ares wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:14 pm After watching this movie again, I had kind of a revelation about Erik Killmonger.

Erik is someone with a hard life, someone who was left an orphan by the people who should have been family. But in spite of that, he was able to rise through the ranks of the US military, and become one of the most dangerous men on the planet. He could have easily become a high end SHIELD Agent and hero along the lines of the Black Widow, but he instead chose to focus on his revenge.

So he hated Wakanda for leaving him an orphan and depriving him of his birthright. He hated the rest of the world for not bringing Wakanda to task. And he decided to hate white people, using the narrative of slavery as an excuse to blame them for his problems and as a rallying cry for others of similar mindset.

And this is despite his own country abandoning him here, and the United States apparently giving him the opportunity to become one of the greatest soldiers alive.

Intentional or not, Erik is basically a perfect embodiment of the victim mentality. He peppers his rhetoric with talk about slavery, of the horrors the white men have inflicted on "his people", when the people that hurt him the most were "his people". And instead of appreciating the life he was able to make for himself, he hates the country he was abandoned in just as much as the country that abandoned him. The best thing I can say about him is that he hated Wakanda just as much, whereas a lot of similar folks refuse to acknowledge how Africa sold its own people into slavery.

And what is the ultimate goal of the victim narrative? The person who blames everyone else for his problems? They want to see most of the world burn and rule over what's left.

I can't imagine this was done on purpose, but that whole thing just really "clicked" for me.

Did I mention that Jelly considered Killmonger the hero of the movie?
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

HalloweenJack wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:15 pm
Ares wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:14 pm After watching this movie again, I had kind of a revelation about Erik Killmonger.

Did I mention that Jelly considered Killmonger the hero of the movie?
I wish I could say that surprised me.

HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

Right?
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

The hero is clearly M’Baku. He’s also one of the best depictions of Lawful Good I’ve yet seen in a MCU movie.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Batgirl III wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:16 pm The hero is clearly M’Baku. He’s also one of the best depictions of Lawful Good I’ve yet seen in a MCU movie.
Not to mention the best thing they ever did with that character since forever.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo »

Batgirl III wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:16 pm The hero is clearly M’Baku. He’s also one of the best depictions of Lawful Good I’ve yet seen in a MCU movie.
I know, right? Black Panther deserves an Academy Award just for being able to make frickin' Man-Ape the best character in the movie.