Team Cerberus (OOC)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Doctor Malsyn

Re: Team Cerberus (OOC)

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Had the same thoughts regarding Submerge honestly. Some powers are stronger then point cost may actually suggest, just goes to show.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

As a general rule, I try to limit "auto hit" powers to about half of PL if they're meant to be primary attacks or about 40% of PL for secondary attacks. So with PL 10 Heroes, I'd stick top around 8-10 Ranks of a power with Area of Effect or Perception Range.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

To be fair, Magenta's perception range area move object power isn't damaging and if she swaps off to use a different effect, any disarmed weapons or gear drops back to the ground (unless she flings it all away). There are also ways to circumvent her power use as well if the are enemies that know who they are going against, using plastics or ceramics or even anti-magnetic fields to block her from affecting their stuff. And then you have villains that use no metal at all because they don't need to, or those wearing too little metal to meaningfully affect them by Magenta's manipulation of it.

Same with Dave's Submerge, though it looks like it still needs to be updated on the sheet. It is an easy power to set up, but also easy to circumvent by A) Not being on the ground or clinging to a shadowy wall, so fliers are pretty safe, or B) having enough light around to negate larger shadows around you. So while it can take someone entirely out of a fight (Also keeping in mind some folk have the ability to bring themselves back), it's also a pretty easy power to defeat.

Or TL:DR, yes the effects CAN be strong, but I wouldn't call them overpowered due to the potential of being situational. Submerge is a bit more powerful than the Move Metal. Then again, I tend to think in a way of "How can this power be countered" for my own building because I don't like flawless characters. I like leaving in weak spots that can be exploited and create a challenge to overcome that exploiting.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Right, I do need to update that. When I designed the power, to be honest, I never really considered how powerful it could be... Which is silly, considering it literally is used to remove people from a fight. I tend to be short sighted on some things, I'll admit that honestly.

Anywho- I'm glad that it has easy and reliable counters, Dave works best under very specific corumstances after all. It's going to be fun playing him when he's out of the water propper, like say if we were in an open field in full daylight.
------------
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Doctor Malsyn wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:02 am Right, I do need to update that. When I designed the power, to be honest, I never really considered how powerful it could be... Which is silly, considering it literally is used to remove people from a fight. I tend to be short sighted on some things, I'll admit that honestly.

Anywho- I'm glad that it has easy and reliable counters, Dave works best under very specific corumstances after all. It's going to be fun playing him when he's out of the water propper, like say if we were in an open field in full daylight.
If you wanted to "tone it down", you could make it a two-step power as alternate effects. Have one power as a shadow grab sort of deal, an affliction, then have the submerge limited to targets in the affliction you set. That way it's not a single action to potentially take multiple enemies out, but two turns, giving at least a chance for the enemies to free themselves before being dragged under.

Just a thought. Maybe not efficient, but pretty cool dynamically when you picture how it would go down. ^^
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

That's a good thought actually... I don't mind it being not efficient, it really does sound thematically cool. How do you figure it would look like?
------------
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Doctor Malsyn wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:26 am That's a good thought actually... I don't mind it being not efficient, it really does sound thematically cool. How do you figure it would look like?
Mechanically? It's just an affliction, same properties range-wise (burst area, perception range, selective), maybe limited degree, has the "Must be touching shadows" to work, call it Shadow Tag or something? they literally stick to the shadow, slowing and immobilizing them.

Then on your Submerge, change the "Must be touching shadows" to "limited to targets affect by Shadow Tag"

Badda-bing, badda-boom. You can have both in your array since the lasting conditions on the affliction are what set who can be targeted by Submerge.

With this, you could do something like shadow tag a group, then one by one have them start vanishing into your shadow place just to evoke a certain kind of terror in them for interrogative purposes. :twisted: As least, as long as they didn't escape the shadow tag.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Yes yes... That'd work, though it'd require an extra PP I don't have. Where could I spare one from...
------------
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Doctor Malsyn wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:16 pm Yes yes... That'd work, though it'd require an extra PP I don't have. Where could I spare one from...
Could probably lose an advantage for now. Connected or Contacts would be appropriate and you can gain it back once reestablishing any such connections or contacts when we get PP.
Tattooedman

Post by Tattooedman »

Flynnarrel wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:25 pm On Maggie's turn I'm considering her using her Perception range Area-Burst Selective move metal to lift anything metal on the foes upwards.

How should that work rules-wise? and what would be the effect. (I guess I'd need to know what exactly it was too, which Maggie's senses would have picked up immediately.)

For example, if Orion and Black Bow are wearing metal reinforced body armor would that lift them until they struggle out of it? What would that do to Orion's weapon array and maybe some of Black bow's more interestingly-tipped arrows? Would this include Rant and Rave's cell phones and what interesting thing roleplaying-wise would that do? (Okay, that last is not so much a rules question but interesting to think about).

I'm glad to have so many people knowledgeable about the rules to ask.
Flynnarrel wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:57 am Was not my intention to make an OP character. Much of her build comes from a Magenta (Flash Villain) build in the character sheets section, I didn't even think how that particular power would play out. I can change it, T-man, to make it more playable/balanced, open to suggestions.
I know, no worries. I've found that most characters end up with some kind of re-working following the first adventure.

As for the power - I really don't have a problem with it as it wasn't designed to be an attack kind of power. I realize that you got an idea & want to run with it, hell I like the idea in all honesty. I'm ok with it being a Preception Area attack that auto hits, and those affected only get to roll vs. the Disarm or Move Object check as I'm figuring this wouldn't be a regular use of the power. That would require a power stunt to make it a little bit more "fair" IMO.
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:45 pm
LOl- "The Tattooed Man"? What kind of ABSOLUTE DILDO would refer to himself as "The Tattooed Man" :P!?!
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

So, just so I know the scope, who’s wearing metal(enough body armor or carrying disarmable items?

Certainly Orion is exactly the kind of foe that a metal controller *should* give a bad day to. Maybe one or two slots on Black bow’s attack array. Maybe various ppls goggles but that’s all equipment. Cellphones or comm links? What all would Maggie be possibly effecting?
"Something pithy this way comes."
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Flynnarrel wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:03 am So, just so I know the scope, who’s wearing metal(enough body armor or carrying disarmable items?

Certainly Orion is exactly the kind of foe that a metal controller *should* give a bad day to. Maybe one or two slots on Black bow’s attack array. Maybe various ppls goggles but that’s all equipment. Cellphones or comm links? What all would Maggie be possibly effecting?
I know for a fact that RD's costume has Metal plates in it for protection,then there's Both the Gas Canister's....
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

MacynSnow wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:44 am
Flynnarrel wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:03 am So, just so I know the scope, who’s wearing metal(enough body armor or carrying disarmable items?

I know for a fact that RD's costume has Metal plates in it for protection,then there's Both the Gas Canister's....
I think Flyn means the villains. Maggie's move object is selective, so she wouldn't grab our metal stuff. :P
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

EpicEclipse wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:50 am
MacynSnow wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:44 am

I think Flyn means the villains. Maggie's move object is selective, so she wouldn't grab our metal stuff. :P
In THAT case:
Medea has multiple pieces of Gold on her(but i don't think Gold is very magnetic),Rant&Rave have Metal Piercings(which are real fun to mess with) and that's the only one's I know for certain...
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Also raves half a popcicle so the cold should help in that regards :twisted:
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories