Woman faces descrimination as police and media refuse to label her crime "rape".

If you need to argue some point, do it here.
Ares
Site Admin

Woman faces descrimination as police and media refuse to label her crime "rape".

Post by Ares »

https://nypost.com/2018/06/26/woman-for ... face-cops/

Samantha Ray Mears, 19, was charged Friday with two felonies: aggravated burglary and assault with a weapon, in addition to numerous misdemeanors. She is alleged to have broken into her ex-boyfriends home while armed with a machete, then waited for him to return. When he did, she held him at blade point, forced him to undress, forced him to lie down on a bed, at which point she straddled him and forced him to have intercourse with her, all while still holding the machete. When he tried to stop her, she bit him.

After finishing intercourse, she sat naked on the bed, still brandishing the weapon. Her ex was able to take several pictures of her, which he turned over to the police as evidence. She then proceeded to rip trimming from his wall and urinate on his bed. Her ex was eventually able to alert the authorities.

According to other media outlets, Mears was also arrested in April, when she had grabbed her then-boyfriend's hair, hit him in the face, and attempted to strangle him. Mears is, as of this writing, in police custody.

I am shocked and appalled at the blatant discrimination Mears is facing. She basically did everything possible, but the police refuse to label her crime "rape".

Likewise, despite the story receiving some attention:

Her crime is always listed as being "forced ex-boyfriend to have sex with her". It's appalling that once again, our Patriarchal America refuses to place a woman on even grounds with a man. That despite this strong, brave girl sneaking into her ex-boyfriends home and using the threat of violence to engage in an act he did not want, they still feel the need to treat her like a delicate flower. She don't need no men deciding what she did and didn't do! The facts of the matter speak for themselves!

Get woke Montana police and media everywhere! Mears is just as strong as any man, and she proved it today by forcing a man to submit to her sexual advances on pain of bodily harm! How dare you oppress her in this manner? When will any woman be allowed to break the glass ceiling attain that coveted position of rapist? Men have been raping women for centuries, it's finally time for a woman to show people that she can gain a feeling of power by forcing sex on another person like any man can. The sexism here is truly appalling.

So to anyone who wants true equality, lift your voices. Don't let the Patriarchy mansplain away what Samantha has accomplished today. Let her own her actions, let her call them what they truly are. Samantha Ray Mears raped her ex-boyfriend. She raped him. She. RAPED. HIM.

In all seriousness, I'm not trying to make light of what happened to the poor guy in this story. I have nothing but empathy for him and absolutely detest Mears for what she did to him. But I'm also appalled that no one is calling her crime what it is. I just wanted to present it from the opinion of a toxic feminist on how the most feminist thing would actually be to call what she did "rape".
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Batgirl III

Re: Woman faces descrimination as police and media refuse to label her crime "rape".

Post by Batgirl III »

Not a week goes by when my news aggregator doesn’t have a story (or three) about a high school teacher being arrested for raping a student... Although, invariably, the headline never says “rape,” it always says “having sex with” or some other benign euphemism.

School counselor had a physical relationship with 9th grade student, police say

Engaged Ohio Teacher Had Sex With 13-Year-Old Female Student From Her School

Teacher Allegedly Had Sex With 13 Year Old Student

Students: Goodyear teacher was 'dating' a student six weeks before her arrest

Former teacher sentenced for indecent behavior

It’s always the passive voice: “had sex,” “had oral sex,” “in a relationship with,” and the like. If the perpetrator of these acts was male, the press wouldn’t dance around it: they’d call it rape, sodomy, and pedophilia.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Jabroniville

Re: Woman faces descrimination as police and media refuse to label her crime "rape".

Post by Jabroniville »

It proves your point that my first reaction was to go right to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KY2AaM_9iW0
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

You know,personal opinion here,Everybody has become SO concerned with avoiding Hot topic button words(and what they might conjure up in their heads) that they refuse to call it what it was.We as a Society have become SO sensitive that we practically bully a NASA Scientist about a stupid Hawaiian shirt,but refuse to call a rape a rape.This unfortunately tells you where our Society's Priorities lie,and my Neighbor's are wondering why i'm preparing for an apocalypse....
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:05 pm It proves your point that my first reaction was to go right to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KY2AaM_9iW0
That was part of the reason why I posted this. The guy in the video that made me aware of this story specifically mentions the "Nice" meme, and how it's unlikely it'll be for people to call this what it is. And sadly, I don't think your first reaction is by any means unique to you. That's going to be the first thing a lot of people think, and that's just not right.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Go click on any of those links about teachers "having sex with" their students, the comment threads for any of them will be swamped with people making some variant of 'where were teachers like this when I was in school' or 'you know he was into it' comments. Obviously, any news article on the internet attracts a certain level of shitposting...

But, I remember the Mary Kay Letourneau case back in 1996, when she was arrested, tried, and convicted on two counts of second-degree child rape. Talk radio was filled with callers basically saying the twelve year old boy she had raped was lucky, letters to the editor in the paper said it wasn't "really" rape, and so forth. They even made a tv movie of the week about her called (*gag*) All-American Girl: The Mary Kay Letourneau Story.

Compare and contrast the sympathy shown to 34-year old Mary Kay Letourneau who repeatedly raped a twelve-year old student in her care to the way the media and the public treated the 35-year old Joey Buttafuoco and his 17-year old mistress, Amy Fisher. Buttafuoco was labelled a pedophile, a sociopath, and all other manner of scum. Saturday Night Live parodied the case in multiple sketches, David Letterman had a bit that consisted of nothing but him repeating Buttafuoco's name over and over and over for several minutes. I mean, yeah, its a funny name, but c'mon!?

Mary Kay Letourneau has sex, repeatedly, with a 12-year old. The world reacts with "Niiiiice."
Joey Buttafuoco has sex, repeatedly, with a 17-year old. The world reacts with "String Him Up!"
Ken

Post by Ken »

Anyone remember the Adam Sandler offering That's My Boy?
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Ken wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:14 am Anyone remember the Adam Sandler offering That's My Boy?
With the exception of ‘The Hanukkah Song,’ I have trained for years with Tibetan monks and Hindu swamis to erase all memory of Adam Sandler from my mind.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Someone explained it to me as "it's like throwing a raw steak to a slobbering dog" when an adult woman bangs a pre-teen boy. Basically, tons of guys joke about it, because they REALLY, REALLY wanted to have sex with women in Middle & High School, and would have loved the opportunity. I mean, we all KNOW it's wrong, but it's so unexpected that it basically becomes funny- humor through the unexpected is a big thing.

And society "expects" men be the aggressors to women, therefore men doing the same thing isn't seen as funny. That, I think is a big part of the root cause about why people always think like this.

I remember bringing up this double-standard to a friend of mine, and pointed out the "steak to a dog" comment, adding that "but if you think about it, preteen GIRLS also have the same urges as do preteen BOY--" and he immediately hollered that "THAT DOUBLE-STANDARD IS NEVER GOING AWAY!" or something like it- it's just something people find so horrifying that none of us even wants to discuss it in public :).

In regards to the top story; "Rape By Coercion" is a lot rarer, too, and I think a lot of people hesitate to use the term. When I think "Rape", I think "physically force yourself on someone", to the point where I barely even think of it otherwise. So I can imagine reporters being the same way for the purposes of clarity ("No, no, she didn't physically force herself onto him; she THREATENED him into it"). That said... you're probably right, especially when EVERY reporter is doing it. At least they still add "Forced him to have sex with her", which is a long-form version of "Rape".
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

She had a fucking machete!

That’s not “oh, please make love to me or go sleep on the couch.” that’s “either I get to fuck you or I will hack off your limbs and cleave your skull in two.”

If a man points a gun at a woman, to threaten her into compliance during a rape, it’s still rape! If he uses a dinky little pocket knife, it’s still rape!

Have you ever seen what a machete can do to a human being? If you’re the sensitive sort, I would suggest you avoid googling it. As someone who has spent some time these last few years in some of the more “interesting” waterways of Southeast Asia, including the pirate-choked Strait of Malacca, it was in my best interest to become acquainted with machete attacks... I’d much rather be shot than attacked by a machete (and I say that as someone who has been shot at).
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Yeah, Rape By Coercion still counts of it's a threat of violence. I was differentiating it between physically grabbing someone and having your way with them. I'm not trying to defuse the reality of the situation, or the horrid nature of her crimes. A lot of guys do the "Do _____ with me, or I'll kill you", and OBVIOUSLY it's still rape.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

In a bit of actual justice, a UK woman was sentenced to 14 years in prison for human trafficking.

https://www.npr.org/2018/07/05/62608860 ... rian-women

If anything, she got off light. Tack on another 5 years, make her 70th birthday present her freedom

I mean, a black woman taking advantage of other women and selling them into actual slavery. I'd love to see the folks over here twist themselves in knots trying to defend that or say it can't happen.

BriarThrone

Post by BriarThrone »

Ares wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:10 am In a bit of actual justice, a UK woman was sentenced to 14 years in prison for human trafficking.

If anything, she got off light. Tack on another 5 years, make her 70th birthday present her freedom

I mean, a black woman taking advantage of other women and selling them into actual slavery. I'd love to see the folks over here twist themselves in knots trying to defend that or say it can't happen.
It's not without precedent. African slaves in America were purchased from either African slave-takers or Ottoman slave-ranchers. Interesting that it happened in the UK, though. The very first abolitionist nation, though they pulled some later shenanigans on the colonial Irish. I'd have thought that their laws on trafficking would be crazy tough. That had better be fourteen years of hard labor and restitution.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

BriarThrone wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:05 am
Ares wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:10 am In a bit of actual justice, a UK woman was sentenced to 14 years in prison for human trafficking.

It's not without precedent. African slaves in America were purchased from either African slave-takers or Ottoman slave-ranchers. Interesting that it happened in the UK, though. The very first abolitionist nation, though they pulled some later shenanigans on the colonial Irish. I'd have thought that their laws on trafficking would be crazy tough. That had better be fourteen years of hard labor and restitution.
Right, you and I know that Africa is generally considered the birthplace of slavery because Africans were selling other Africans into slavery across the world. But the narrative a vocal minority of really stupid people espouse is that all the world's evils are a result of men and that black people are the only ones who have ever suffered slavery, and exclusively at the hands of white people. A black woman enslaving other women just completely destroys that narrative. It's just nice to see a situation where someone's race or gender was not used as a "get out of jail free card".

BriarThrone

Post by BriarThrone »

Ares wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:08 am
BriarThrone wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:05 am

Right, you and I know that Africa is generally considered the birthplace of slavery because Africans were selling other Africans into slavery across the world. But the narrative a vocal minority of really stupid people espouse is that all the world's evils are a result of men and that black people are the only ones who have ever suffered slavery, and exclusively at the hands of white people. A black woman enslaving other women just completely destroys that narrative. It's just nice to see a situation where someone's race or gender was not used as a "get out of jail free card".
As a man of mostly Irish and Native American ancestry, I have an interesting perspective on the "you owe black people reparations!" subject. And a comprehensive vocabulary of profanity to express it with.