Macyn's Golden Gloves Gym(or,Intresting ways to Characterize fighting styles!)

A place to discuss game rules, homebrew systems and the like.
MacynSnow

Re: Macyn's Golden Gloves Gym(or,Intresting ways to Characterize fighting styles!)

Post by MacynSnow »

Nunya B wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:31 am
MacynSnow wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:41 am I can see your argument for "THE SWORD" as a power over the Style idea.But allow me to use a slight counter argument...The sword Excalibur had all that power and Arthur still died when he was dealt a killing blow by Lance-de-Locke (i like the french version of Lancealot's name better than the Americanization,it sounds cooler) using a regular sword.Lance was,according to 99% of all the books i've read,one of the Finest Swordsmen in the group Second only to Gwain The Green.No Powers,just pure skill and advantages(and maybe a Hero Point)...
By my understanding of Arthurian myth, Arthur had lost Excalibur and its scabbard when he was fatally wounded and was instead using a spear.
Then again, I thought Mordred was the one who killed Arthur, so I may be rusty there.
Mordred did kill him,Lance had fatally wounded him prior to his run-in with his traitorous son,so he was dying ergardless of who finished him off.
Just remember though that it was Lance who disarmed him,otherwise Mordred would've been beat like a rug on a line...
Jabroniville

Re: Macyn's Golden Gloves Gym(or,Intresting ways to Characterize fighting styles!)

Post by Jabroniville »

The Knights of the Round Table have worse continuity than the Greek Gods- I don't think the specifics can be remotely determined :).
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

Yeah, whatever the truth behind the figure(s) who inspired the Arthurian legends, the stories themselves vary WILDLY in their details, and then there is a huge break between the Medieval tales and then the revival in later centuries (after a period where the stories died down in popularity). Mordred is variously Arthur's half-brother or his son/nephew by Morgan Le Fey (either his sister or half-sister); the Welsh stories mention Arthur having THREE Queens in succession, rather than simply Guinevere; either the Lady of the Lake gifted Arthur with Caliburn/Excalibur when he came of age in Avalon or he drew it from the stone when he grew up as an adopted brother of Kay in proto-Britain; and so on.

Many, many ages later, in the modern era, the descendants of the Arthurian myth purveyors became DC Comics editors. :D
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

That's why i perfer the concept "The Man makes the Weapon".As powerful as Caliburn/Excalibur was supposed to be,if you don't have the actual training then your just swinging around a large hunk of metal...
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Just a heads-up on my next couple of style builds for this,just to see who want's to see what first....
  • Jujitsu
    Sestyma(?)
    Ansatsuken(Assassins Fist)
    CQC(Close Quarters Combat)
    Krav Magave(?)
    Mishima-ryu Karate
Let me know what you think.Enjoy! :D
Chris Brady

Post by Chris Brady »

Krav Maga, what have you got?
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Chris Brady wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:29 am Krav Maga, what have you got?
What? You want I should just give it to you? Like I’m some schmendrick who can give it away for free!? What do you take me for?

Listen, listen, I know a guy. Maycn. Real mensch. Well... I don’t know him. My husband’s sister’s good for nothing nincompoop of a husband? The one with the moles? Yeah. He knows him. Okay, his cousin knows him. But we’re all one big mishpocha, eh?

You come over sometime, we’ll have coffee and I’ll introduce youse. I just got this new Sanka, it’s to die for. So good I could plotz. That’s a metaphor. It doesn’t actually make you plotz.

Unlike the coffee in that diner outside Atlanta. You remember? When we drove down the coast to visit your bubbie in Boca? Oi gevalt, what a mishegas that was...
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Batgirl III wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:16 am
Chris Brady wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:29 am Krav Maga, what have you got?
What? You want I should just give it to you? Like I’m some schmendrick who can give it away for free!? What do you take me for?

Listen, listen, I know a guy. Maycn. Real mensch. Well... I don’t know him. My husband’s sister’s good for nothing nincompoop of a husband? The one with the moles? Yeah. He knows him. Okay, his cousin knows him. But we’re all one big mishpocha, eh?

You come over sometime, we’ll have coffee and I’ll introduce youse. I just got this new Sanka, it’s to die for. So good I could plotz. That’s a metaphor. It doesn’t actually make you plotz.

Unlike the coffee in that diner outside Atlanta. You remember? When we drove down the coast to visit your bubbie in Boca? Oi gevalt, what a mishegas that was...
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Beleriphon

Post by Beleriphon »

How about a ranged martial art style. There are several archery related practices that rely on certain techniques to be effective.

Defendu would be fun (to the point the commando knife issued to troops is named after the guys who invented Defendu), you know the one that Christopher Lee used to know for sure what puncturing a man's lung sounds like. My main understanding of that one is that it was a very straightforward kill or be killed style meant to quickly debilitate and then kill your opponent.

If you can manage it Roman gladiatorial combat might be fun, since it was 100% meant to be lethal, but also very, very showy. Plus, were at least six or seven different styles based on the weapons and armour used by the gladiator.
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

Have you had any personal experience of Aikido, I always thought it 'looked cool' when I was a kid (and yes those early Steven Seagal movies were awesome) but any demo video I've seen on YouTube is just full of the 'This is crap, it's all fake, it's nothing compared to MMA etc.) type comments, it seems to get dismissed like no other style.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

M4C8 wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:53 pm Have you had any personal experience of Aikido, I always thought it 'looked cool' when I was a kid (and yes those early Steven Seagal movies were awesome) but any demo video I've seen on YouTube is just full of the 'This is crap, it's all fake, it's nothing compared to MMA etc.) type comments, it seems to get dismissed like no other style.
Aikido is a perfectly fine martial art, when taught and practiced as a martial art. The problem is that is suffers heavily from both a large number of "McDojo's" and "Woo Peddlers."

"McDojo's" is the pejorative name given to crappy martial arts schools more interested in making a buck off of the gullible than they are in passing down traditional and effective combat skills. At their best, they can be decent physical education and confidence boosting programs for kids... Little League in a gi, basically. At their worst, they're unscrupulous con artists that will get their students seriously injured (if not killed). "Woo Peddlers" are those nutters and/or con men that sell magically woo-woo to the gullible woo-woo seekers of the world. These are the guys "teaching" how to create chi force fields, heal injuries with psychic energy, and other nonsense. At their best, it comes off as a bunch of harmless hippie-dippy New Age malarkey... Yoga with karate chops. At their worst, they're flat-out cultists.

Aikido doesn't have as many "McDojo's" as karate or taekwando and doesn't have as many "Woo Peddlers" as kung fu or t'ai chi ch'uan, but the combination of the two is really bad.
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

Batgirl III wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:24 am
M4C8 wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:53 pm Have you had any personal experience of Aikido, I always thought it 'looked cool' when I was a kid (and yes those early Steven Seagal movies were awesome) but any demo video I've seen on YouTube is just full of the 'This is crap, it's all fake, it's nothing compared to MMA etc.) type comments, it seems to get dismissed like no other style.
Aikido is a perfectly fine martial art, when taught and practiced as a martial art. The problem is that is suffers heavily from both a large number of "McDojo's" and "Woo Peddlers."

"McDojo's" is the pejorative name given to crappy martial arts schools more interested in making a buck off of the gullible than they are in passing down traditional and effective combat skills. At their best, they can be decent physical education and confidence boosting programs for kids... Little League in a gi, basically. At their worst, they're unscrupulous con artists that will get their students seriously injured (if not killed). "Woo Peddlers" are those nutters and/or con men that sell magically woo-woo to the gullible woo-woo seekers of the world. These are the guys "teaching" how to create chi force fields, heal injuries with psychic energy, and other nonsense. At their best, it comes off as a bunch of harmless hippie-dippy New Age malarkey... Yoga with karate chops. At their worst, they're flat-out cultists.

Aikido doesn't have as many "McDojo's" as karate or taekwando and doesn't have as many "Woo Peddlers" as kung fu or t'ai chi ch'uan, but the combination of the two is really bad.
Thanks. Are there sites you can visit that tell you if an instructor is genuine or not?
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
Beleriphon

Post by Beleriphon »

M4C8 wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:44 am Thanks. Are there sites you can visit that tell you if an instructor is genuine or not?
Local review sites are a good place to go. Otherwise most legitimate sports have national associations that will list accredited clubs or trainers. You might have to look at the state level if you're in the USA, or province or whatever the local version of that might be.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

A reputable school should also have no problem with you asking to observe a session or two. That alone should be enough to alert you to any “Woo Peddlers.” Yes, lots of martial arts have a metaphysical component, especially the very traditional Chinese ones... But if they start blathering on about Chi or Energy or Life Force with the absolutely rank zero beginners? It’s Woo-woo.

A reputable school also won’t push a lot of accessories and extras on you. I’m a proud capitalist pig, so I don’t begrudge a martial arts instructor wanting to make a buck (and before the explosion of online shopping martial arts supplies were kind of a niche market), so if they offer Gi, gloves, sparring helmets, and so forth (and t-shirts with the dojo logo on it, natch) that’s okay. It’s when they aggressively sell these things. If they push you to buy This Specific Gi, instead of just letting you practice in gym clothes or any gi you happen to buy yourself? Red flag. If they want you to pay for testing from one belt rank to another? Red flag. If they start selling you (or your kid) on “advanced workshops” when you’re still brand new? Red flag.

Weapon-based martial systems — fencing, HEMA, kenjutsu, archery, etc. — obviously require you buy some specific equipment. It’s hard to learn how to use a sword without a sword, right? But most reputable schools will have some “loaner gear” that they will make available to newbies.

It’s like any other business. Sure, they need to make money... But you can always tell if a place cares more about making a quick buck or if they actually care about the service they are offering.
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

Beleriphon wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:17 am
M4C8 wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:44 am Thanks. Are there sites you can visit that tell you if an instructor is genuine or not?
Local review sites are a good place to go. Otherwise most legitimate sports have national associations that will list accredited clubs or trainers. You might have to look at the state level if you're in the USA, or province or whatever the local version of that might be.
Thanks.