Writing Tournament - Open Invitation to All - See Inside for Details

For those who have a way with words.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Writing Tournament - Open Invitation to All - See Inside for Details

Post by Ares » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:57 am

Batgirl III wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:29 am
I just realized that my Multiversal Birds of Prey have exactly one character with powers that don't stem from magic or undeath. :lol:
Yeah, Power Copiers are fun, but you need to throw in weaknesses like that to keep them from going full on Amazo or Duplicate Boy in terms of stupid power levels. By the same token, if my team had gone up the "Big Seven" Justice League, the only person he'd be able to power copy would be the Flash, with Aquaman being a "maybe". But that's also why I think they should get a "stored power" option, since if my team went up against, say, Ultron, a power copier with no teammates to copy and no stored power would be kind of useless. It's one reason I went with Peter over Synch of Generation X, who was otherwise a solid pick. But it would have required upgrading Synch's power, and I figure it was better to instead limit Peter's power.

Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:07 am

Shadowmask wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:54 am
Peter Petrelli didn't just absorb the abilities or weaknesses of Evos, he also gain some of the psychological flaws like when he "gained" Sylar's hunger and bloodlust.
Which to me indicates that it's an actual component of that power, or at least TV Tropes seems to think so. It's possible that the original power didn't have that component to it, but that using it in the manner Sylar did twisted it into becoming an actual component of the power by the time Peter duplicated it.

Then again, I'm pretty much just using "Season 1" Peter, since the show pretty much turned into a mass of hot garbage during Season 2.

MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:02 am

Ares wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:07 am
Shadowmask wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:54 am
Peter Petrelli didn't just absorb the abilities or weaknesses of Evos, he also gain some of the psychological flaws like when he "gained" Sylar's hunger and bloodlust.
Which to me indicates that it's an actual component of that power, or at least TV Tropes seems to think so. It's possible that the original power didn't have that component to it, but that using it in the manner Sylar did twisted it into becoming an actual component of the power by the time Peter duplicated it.

Then again, I'm pretty much just using "Season 1" Peter, since the show pretty much turned into a mass of hot garbage during Season 2.
I blame the Writer's Strike for Season 2 Heroes,as the original bible was MUCH better conceived than what the new guys turned it into....

Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:23 am

Alright, finally got another of one of my write-ups up while waiting for any last-minute contestants. Kuuga and Wuji are likely going to be the most writing intensive of the characters to stat up, so I figured I'd get them out of the way first. It's probably the lengthiest of the bios I'll be writing since Kuuga is probably the character most people will be unfamiliar with.

MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:53 am

Ares wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:23 am
Alright, finally got another of one of my write-ups up while waiting for any last-minute contestants. Kuuga and Wuji are likely going to be the most writing intensive of the characters to stat up, so I figured I'd get them out of the way first. It's probably the lengthiest of the bios I'll be writing since Kuuga is probably the character most people will be unfamiliar with.
Let's see how strong his Mind is when Glider starts messing with him,or when Top throws his Balance off real bad.... :evil:

You know,i just realized that I'M the only one to pic an all Villian Team....O_o

Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:10 pm

MacynSnow wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:53 am
Ares wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:23 am
Let's see how strong his Mind is when Glider starts messing with him,or when Top throws his Balance off real bad.... :evil:
Well, I assume that generally speaking, the Rogues are going to engage in "heists" more than outright team on team battles. If they go up against any of these teams like that airport scene in Capt. America: Civil War, they're probably going to get their asses handed to them. On the flip side, if they go the Batman route of picking the battlefield, taking out targets one at a time, and overall fighting dirty, they have a shot at winning.
You know,i just realized that I'M the only one to pic an all Villian Team....O_o
Well sure. The general default for these tourneys was that they'd be mostly heroes, if not exclusively heroes. Previous tournaments only made allowances for a single villain per group because the Power Geekers would toss people like Darkseid, Thanos, Amazo, and the like onto the team. I figured going with rules to limit and balance power levels worked better, and decided not to include any limits on villains.

Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:17 am

Just letting everyone know I haven't forgotten about this. I'm going to work on finishing up the write-ups for my guys this week, and give anyone who still might want to join the chance to enter.
HalloweenJack wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:49 pm
....ungh.....so tempted....so little time
Ken wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:00 am
I don't think I can find enough info for other people on the non-comics Injustice League, so I'm out (at least until I get another idea.)

Plus, Nuclear Man is being added to the comics.
After this week, if we've still only got the four people, then I'd say rather than an elimination Tournament, everyone will get their own thread to write each encounter with the other team, in the vein that each match would be its own episode or two of a tv show, TV special, or oversized comic. At the end, we'll just accept votes from any board members who want to throw in their two cents, and the person with the most votes wins.

MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:39 pm

That sounds rather cool,actually.And i'm still in,btw. :)

Can we pick our 'Enemy team', or is it a free-for-all writing format?

Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:20 pm

MacynSnow wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:39 pm

The way I'm envisioning it, each person will write about their team encountering the other teams, one at a time, in whatever order you wish. Basically break down each team fight into different chapters / encounters. So if you want to fight My team in Chapter 1, Batgirl's team in Chapter 2, and so on, you can. Or you can fight Batgirl's team first, etc.

You can also use whatever narrative device you want. Is your team brought together fighting one group and decides to stick around as a group after? Are you part of some multi-dimensional fighting tournament? Did some cosmic big wigs pick your team and using you in a chess match against others? Have fun with whatever you can come up with.

MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:51 pm

Ares wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:20 pm
MacynSnow wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:39 pm

The way I'm envisioning it, each person will write about their team encountering the other teams, one at a time, in whatever order you wish. Basically break down each team fight into different chapters / encounters. So if you want to fight My team in Chapter 1, Batgirl's team in Chapter 2, and so on, you can. Or you can fight Batgirl's team first, etc.

You can also use whatever narrative device you want. Is your team brought together fighting one group and decides to stick around as a group after? Are you part of some multi-dimensional fighting tournament? Did some cosmic big wigs pick your team and using you in a chess match against others? Have fun with whatever you can come up with.
So,who's first?I'll try and have something up in the coming week...

Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:11 pm

Okay, I promise this whole concept isn't dead. I appreciate everyone's patience, but between some real life issues and waiting for any more entries, this has dragged on long enough. I've posted up two more profiles for my group and will have the rest up tonight, along with with the individual threads for each participant so everyone can get started.

They way it'll work will be as follows: Everyone will get their own thread simulatenously. You each get to write your own multi-part story about how your team comes into conflict with everyone else's characters, in whatever manner you wish. General superteam stuff, hired for jobs stuff, part of an interdimensional tournament stuff, etc. But basically, as soon as the threads are up, you can get to work, and once all of the entries are in, the rest of the forums can vote on a winner.

Sorry about the delays. :oops:

MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:30 pm

Ares wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:11 pm
Okay, I promise this whole concept isn't dead. I appreciate everyone's patience, but between some real life issues and waiting for any more entries, this has dragged on long enough. I've posted up two more profiles for my group and will have the rest up tonight, along with with the individual threads for each participant so everyone can get started.

They way it'll work will be as follows: Everyone will get their own thread simulatenously. You each get to write your own multi-part story about how your team comes into conflict with everyone else's characters, in whatever manner you wish. General superteam stuff, hired for jobs stuff, part of an interdimensional tournament stuff, etc. But basically, as soon as the threads are up, you can get to work, and once all of the entries are in, the rest of the forums can vote on a winner.

Sorry about the delays. :oops:
It's cool Ares,don't worry 'bou it.RL can be a real mess...you need me,give me a holler! :D

Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:43 pm

Delays , delays . . . .

Bladewind

Post by Bladewind » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:13 am

Dang - Just saw this.

Would be just the thing I need to get me to log in more often and finish off the little "chore" problem I'm finding with posting.
Either way, I had a question. In writing your individual fights, are you expecting specific outcomes? For instance are you assuming that each writer`s team will win their battle royale?

My line up would be something like this:

The Gladitori:
:arrow: Marathon (Strikeforce Morituri)
:arrow: Nightcrawler (X-Men/ Excalibur)
:arrow: Tracks (Autobot - Transformers)
:arrow: Orko (He-Man) - maybe
:arrow: Cheetara (Thundercats)
:arrow: Agent J (Men in Black)
:arrow: Asoka Tano (Star Wars: The Clone Wars)
Last edited by Bladewind on Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thorpocalypse wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm
Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
Bladewind's 3ed M&M Builds
The Merge Setting document

Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:51 am

Bladewind wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:13 am
Dang - Just saw this.

Would be just the thing I need to get me to log in more often and finish off the little "chore" problem I'm finding with posting.
Either way, I had a question. In writing your individual fights, are you expecting specific outcomes? For instance are you assuming that each writer`s team will win their battle royale?

My line up would be something like this:

The Gladitori:
:arrow: Marathon (Strikeforce Morituri)
:arrow: Nightcrawler (X-Men/ Excalibur)
:arrow: Tracks (Autobot - Transformers)
:arrow: Orko (He-Man) - maybe
:arrow: Cheetara (Thundercats)
:arrow: Agent K (Men in Black)
:arrow: Asoka Tano (Star Wars: The Clone Wars)
Feel free to join up if you like. Finalize your roster, use the template here to post your characters over there, and we'll get you set up.

Regarding a specific outcome for the fights, you are expected to have your team "Win" their encounter with the other team, but the win condition can be a lot of things. For instance, if MacynSnow wrote an encounter where the Rogues had to steal something from Batgirl's Birds of Prey, so long as the Rogue's complete their objective it doesn't matter if they didn't defeat/incapacitate all of the BoP, or if in fact the BoP won more fights than the Rogues did. The majority of the encounters in these tournaments are straight up fights, but that doesn't mean all of them have to be. Kreu once ran a fight between his guys and mine where the contest was a kind of "capture the flag" bit where everyone was fighting over possession of an idol, and it was less about who won the battles as who had the idol when the time ran out.

So you do need to have your team come out ahead, but they don't necessarily need to beat the other team into the ground to do so, if that makes sense. That tends to be what happens most of the time in past Writing Tourneys, but I encourage innovation. Part of the fun of these things should be writing the team you want being awesome.