Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Gipsy Danger

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:54 am PACIFIC RIM:
-Pacific Rim was a pretty kick-ass movie. While I wasn't in love with it like many others were, and I found the fight scenes a little too same-y and easily-won, it contained a lot of memorable scenes- more than you usually get in Big Dumb Action Movies. Featuring very few stars (Idris Elba was then just off of The Wire, and was really more for Cinema Snobs to recognize), it didn't do overly well in the West, but proved popular enough overseas that it got a sequel. I liked the platonic relationship between the main guy and the Japanese girl, the interpersonal stuff, Elba showing so much charisma he overwhelmed the other actors, and the general plot thread about how Raleigh piloted a Jaeger by himself- a near-impossibility that nearly killed him, lost his brother ("I felt his pain. His FEAR..."), and more. It kept it from being Just Another Dumb Action Movie, even though it's basically "Aliens are sending monsters to kill us, so we built giant robots to fight them". Man, I got a stiffy just from TYPING that...
I'm definitely a fan of the first movie (I haven't seen the sequel), because it basically delivered exactly what it promised: a solid action movie about giant robots fighting giant monsters. The acting was decent, we had some interesting character bits, the plot made sense for an action-sci-fi film, the humor wasn't juvenile, it was just a solid, fun action film.

It was basically what I felt the Transformers movies should have been, and it shows the power a franchise name can have, because the Transformers films are pretty much worse across the board in most categories, and then include thing like really low brow sex/dick jokes, gratuitous T&A, racist stereotypes, etc. Yet the Transformers films all made more money than Pacific Rim. There's no justice, I'm telling you.

But the movie pretty much had me hooked from that first "suiting up" scene with the main them playing. It just made the robot feel epic and big, I was practically punching the air by the time the robot took its first steps out into the ocean.
Jabroniville wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:05 am Image

GIPSY DANGER (Class-3 Jaeger)
Role:
Super-Heroic Kaiju-Fighter
Size: 79 meters (260 feet)
PL 15 (173)

-Here's Gipsy Danger- the "hero" of the film and central Jaeger. I made it PL 15, similar to the Showa-Era Kaiju of the Godzilla franchise, as it's powerful, but still limited. The durability is noticeably not that great, as Kaiju routinely rip limbs off. It's almost a finesse fighter compared to the other things in the series, though. I find the name of the Jaeger rather strange, though- "Gipsy" isn't an inherently impressive-sounding word, and is an outdated term sometimes (but not always) used as a pejorative slur. Like... ANY OTHER NAME could have worked just as well. It's named after a kind of WWII jet engine.
Eh, I'd say their durability wasn't that bad, or at least, it was only slightly lower than the kaiju they were fighting. Gipsy went up against two kaiju, ripped out one's EMP generator, blew off one kaiju's arm and then shot it enough to reduce it to an corpse with an exposed, empty chest cavity. Likewise, tore out another kaiju's acid sack, froze off its tail, and then sliced it up with their sword.

Gipsy vs Leatherback: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74-dYu0CqFA
Gipsy vs Otachi: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_GXFPn6dWU

Ah, the Boat Sword. I'm so happy.

It is clear that the human's big advantage is using skill over brute force though.

Here's some other Jaeger names from this website: http://pacificrim.wikia.com/wiki/Jaeger

Brawler Yukon
Coyote Tango
Horizon Brave
Romeo Blue
Tacit Ronin
Cherno Alpha
Diablo Intercept
Solar Prophet
Puma Real
Eden Assassin
Gipsy Danger
Matador Fury
Shaolin Rogue
Vulcan Specter
Chrome Brutus
Crimson Typhoon
Hydra Corinthian
Nova Hyperion
Echo Saber
Mammoth Apostle
Striker Eureka
Lucky Seven
Victory Alpha
Tango Tasmania

There was an old Jaeger Name Generator I found a while back: http://jaegernamegenerator.tumblr.com/ (It still works!) But back in the day I tried it out and came up with some names that were cool enough that I entered them into a word document:

Nova Sentinel
Titan Tempest
Shaolin Grizzly
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
HalloweenJack

Re: Jab's Builds! (Orga! MUTOs! Gamera! Pacific Rim! Gipsy Danger!)

Post by HalloweenJack »

Shaolin Grizzly is indeed a badass name. I like that.

As for Pacific Rim......big ol' meh from me. It was something I was looking forward to but when I saw it, it like the ze goggles did nuszing
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

I always liked this quote too:

"There are things you can't fight - acts of God. You see a hurricane coming, you get out of the way. But when you're in a Jaeger, suddenly you can fight the hurricane. You can win."
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Pacific Rim: Wow The First Film Was Popular In China, er, I mean, Pacific Rim: Uprising isn't as good as the original. The special effects and the action sequences are great, but the world-building, the character interaction, and the like are severely lacking. If you liked Pacific Rim and wonder what a $150 million budget fan film set in the Pacific Rim 'verse would be like, then you'll probably enjoy Pacific Rim: Uprising.

Pacific Rim: Uprising was clearly designed to appeal even more to the Chinese audience than the first. Pacific Rim is the sixth-highest-grossing American film ever in China, making $114.3 million in that country compared to only about $100 million domestic. More than 3/4 of the films total take came from foreign markets. Pacific Rim: Uprising grossed $60 million in North America and $230 million in overseas... $65 million of which was from opening weekend alone in China. If they ever make a Pacific Rim 3, I'd wouldn't be surprised if Legendary Pictures handed off most (if not all) of the production to a Chinese studio.

My review, in a nutshell, if you like watching giant robots wrasslin' giant monsters then you'll like this movie.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

and yet....
danelsan

Post by danelsan »

I found the "protagonist" Jaeger name pretty weird too. Of the official names, my current favorite is Saber Athena, but I like several others as well

As for the sequel, yeah, not as good as the first, but it was decent enough as a support for various scenes of giant robots and giant monsters fighting. Also, I somehow failed to see the twist coming, despite how telegraphed it was XD

Despite loss in overall quality compared to the first movie, I wouldn't refuse to watch a third one.
Jabroniville

The Other Jaegers

Post by Jabroniville »

JAEBBERS (Striker Eureka, Crimson Typhoon & Cherno Alpha)
Role:
Jobbers
Size: 79 meters (260 feet)
PL 14 (156)
STRENGTH
22 STAMINA -- AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -- AWARENESS -- PRESENCE --

Skills:
None

Advantages: 
Chokehold, Fast Grab, Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
"Kaiju-Sized"
Growth 20 (Str & Toughness +20, +20 Mass, +10 Intimidation, -10 Dodge/Parry, +2 Speed, -20 Stealth) -- (250 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [41]

"Machine"
Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]
Protection 1 (Extras: Impervious 29) [30]
Speed +2 (30 mph) [2]

"Giant-Size Smash" Damage 14 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Burst +2) [42]

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+22 Damage, DC 37)
Giant Smash +14 Area (+14 Damage, DC 29)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +4 (DC 14), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +22 (+15 Impervious), Fortitude --, Will --

Complications: 
Power Loss (All Functions Require Pilots)- Gipsy Danger is a piloted robot, and requires two pilots moving in synch with each other to function.

Total: Abilities: -58 / Skills: 00--0 / Advantages: 9 / Powers: 155 / Defenses: 21 (156)

-The three other Jaegers of Pacific Rim are given a bunch of hype to start with, making this seem like a truly international Ass-Kicking Brigade... so of course after all that hype they all (except Eureka) die in moments to serious Kaiju threats. My friend's wife, who considers this the greatest movie of all time, was obsessed with Crimson Typhoon in particular, because its pilots are played by a set of triplets who run a sports store in British Columbia.

-These three Jaegers are the only other survivors of the Jaeger program, are piloted by experienced Kaiju Killers, and have extra powers... but none of them last more than twenty seconds as far as I can remember. One Kaiju, Otachi, almost effortlessly deals with Crimson Typhoon & Cherno Alpha, largely by targetting their command pods, and Leatherback finishes Alpha off.

STRIKER EUREKA- PL 15 (166): FIGHTING +1, Protection +1, All-Out Attack, Improved Initiative 1, Speed +2, "Anti-Kaiju Missiles" Blast 24 (Feats: Ranged 3, Split) (Extras: Penetrating 16) (Flaws: Unreliable- 5 Uses) (44) [10]

CRIMSON TYPHOON- PL 14 (159): Extra Limb, Speed +1, AE: "Thundercloud Formation" Strength-Damage +2 (Extras: Multiattack 24) (Inaccurate -1) [3]

CHERNO ALPHA- PL 14 (157): Withstand Damage, AGI -1, Protection +2, Parry -1, AE: "Tesla-Cell-Powered Fists" Strength-Damage Linked to Affliction 20 (Fort; Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated) (Cumulative) [1]
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

My favorite names are:

Brawler Yukon (Greatest Canadian Hero name ever)
Horizon Brave
Tacit Ronin
Diablo Intercept
Solar Prophet
Vulcan Specter
Crimson Typhoon
Nova Hyperion
Echo Saber
Victory Alpha

Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

I'm kinda digging one that the above linked random generator threw at me: Mustang Nova

If Texas ever had a jaeger program...
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Zilla! Baragon! Orga! MUTOs! Gamera!)

Post by Jabroniville »

HalloweenJack wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:51 pm *walks in and sits down, facing you, THE VIEWER*

I'd like to talk about Gamera for a minute. I'm a big Gamera fan. I own all the movies with the exception of Gamera the Brave, which I intend to rectify as soon as I can.

But Gamera.....Gamera had a place in my life at an early age. A place that led to PAIN.
LOL- that's quite the story there, HJ. But I can relate to it- kids are obsessive creatures, and we can torture ourselves for YEARS over an inability to gain access to certain things. I remember my various obsessions as a kid quite well, and how I'd freak if something I wanted to record didn't go through.

Sadly, Canada didn't get an equivalent of the Sci-Fi Channel or anything that aired monster movies until I was a teen- TBS didn't get here until the mid-90s sometime, and I don't think they were airing Godzilla movies then, either. All of my Godzilla experience came from renting at the local video stores (First Choice & Hollywood Videos), and then I saw a couple on the Space Channel. But I've still never seen one of the Gigan pictures- I'm not even certain I ever saw Destroy All Monsters, given how I don't recognize Gorosaurus, nor the death of Ghidorah.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

MacynSnow wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:40 pm
KorokoMystia wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:55 pm Cloverfield did have two follow-up movies of sorts, 10 Cloverfield Lane and The Cloverfield Paradox, but I have no idea how they tie in to the original movie, if at all.
From what myself and the rest of Weyland-Yutani(tm) can figure out,this is how they interconnect.....*brings out chalkboard and starts writing*
The Cloverfield Paradox set-up the monster's Arrival,as their time experiment was what could've brought the thing into this reality in the first place(it would certainly fit the Monster's disorientation like behavior after it first woke up)...

10 Cloverfield Lane happened at roughly the same time,especially if we believe John Goodman's statement that the lead Actress had been unconscious for a couple of day's.The fact that the Alien ships arrival coincides with the 'destruction" of the Spacestation from Paradox is rather telling(i still don't buy the Spacestation's complete destruction.There's just to many variables there......) if you think 'bout it...

Cloverfield becomes basically an Aftermath movie in this case,as the Monster becomes little more than another victim(allbut one that can destroy whole cities in it's disorientation and Fear),we're just not allowed to look at the whole thing from it's perspective....
I wasn't gonna build Cloverfield, as I'm QUITE tired of building Kaiju by this point, but then I was like "oh, he's only a few points different from a MUTO" and figured I'd include him anyway. Flipping randomly through the Wiki for it, I was like "Jesus this is convoluted. Also, his origin is tied to energy drinks or something?". I think the first movie did pretty well, but nobody seems to care as much about the sequels. Like The Blair Witch thing, it was more of a timely, "you had to be there" film, and a bit too gimmicky to lead a franchise.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Batgirl III wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:43 am
You know, which how hard everyone else is acting in the movie,it makes me wonder if you couldn't just edit the scenes with the monster out and edit anything else in and it wouldn't make for a better movie.
Off-topic, but I've always wanted to do this with the old Star Trek: The Animated Series; Most of the episodes are decent and a handful of them are actually really good. You've also got most of the original series Star Trek cast reprising their roles. Replace the extremely dated nearly still frame Filmation art with modern, more lively animation and you'd have a classic.
Honestly, I feel like even Star Trek: The Next Generation would benefit from being a modern-day thing. Just just the cheesy effects and costumes (especially from the early seasons), but like... world-building is better-done in most modern-day TV shows. With a cast that good, and CHARACTERS that good, it would be an even better show if they had more immediate feedback or proper production.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

danelsan wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:49 am I found the "protagonist" Jaeger name pretty weird too. Of the official names, my current favorite is Saber Athena, but I like several others as well

As for the sequel, yeah, not as good as the first, but it was decent enough as a support for various scenes of giant robots and giant monsters fighting. Also, I somehow failed to see the twist coming, despite how telegraphed it was XD

Despite loss in overall quality compared to the first movie, I wouldn't refuse to watch a third one.
The reason it was originally called Gipsy was cause it worked as the "Journeyman" Jaeger(it was the odd-man out in the Original builds),moving from Base to Base and helping to shore up numbers.

My favorite Jaeger name is Mammoth Apostle...
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Ares wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:04 am I always liked this quote too:

"There are things you can't fight - acts of God. You see a hurricane coming, you get out of the way. But when you're in a Jaeger, suddenly you can fight the hurricane. You can win."
That's the interesting thing about the film, to me- I wasn't entranced by it, and was like "oh, that's a film, alright", watched part of it on the bus one time, and then rented it to watch later. So I didn't really go way out of my way to see it or anything. And yet... I find it much more memorable and quotable than MANY "better" pictures and TV shows, many of which my senile ass forgets the second they're over (backstory-heavy shows are my krytonite, now). A TON of scenes in that movie were very memorable, and stick with me today.

Regarding your Transformers comparison, I find that interesting- they're quite similar in some respects, but also very different. The TF movies pimp the fuck out of the American military (Michael Bay is a notable... armyphile? Soldierphile? Military Industrial Complexophile?), while Pacific Rim is more "super-heroic" in its "Wow, the governments of the world are doing a SHIT JOB- why don't we form our own private army of ass-kicking robots that make the military look weak?". They obviously had no military funding like so many other "Recruitment Drives-- I mean Pleasure Action Films" get.

Pacific Rim was also more mature- there's fairly little joking aside from "Band of Brothers" camaraderie/piss-taking, and the Monster-Parts-Recycler guy's bit. The Transformers movies, on the other hand, were just PILING ON the gags to a relentless degree, overwhelming the plot at points ("I'm beneath the enemy's scrotum").

The TF movies also banked on Fanservice, greasing up Megan Fox and basically making her hump motor vehicles. PR did none of that.

So yeah, it's a big combination of things. Licensing, the right studio backing, advertising as "Big Dumb Action Movies" (which always sell better than high-concept anything), and more.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

People will still be watching Pacific Rim in ten or twenty years... Not as some lost masterpiece, but as whatever will be the 2038 equivalent of watching a TNT rerun of Planet of the Apes on a lazy Sunday afternoon was in 1998.

The only reason anyone will watch the Bayformers movies in ten or twenty years is because he’ll still be cranking out a sequel every other summer. (Seriously, they’ve got a sixth film coming out soon!?)