Ares
Site Admin

Re: Writing Tournament - Open Invitation to All - See Inside for Details

Post by Ares » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:39 pm

MacynSnow wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:16 pm
Ares wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:30 pm

Be aware, you have a 7th character slot going unused at the moment.
Thank you for the reminder Ares,i thought it was six max... :oops:
No worries. I found out during one of these a while back that odd numbered teams work best to preserve drama. That way you can have the team members trade wins and have the final odd member the tie-breaking final win.

MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:19 am

So far we got Cape City Birds of Prey vs.The Non-Comics Injustice League vs. Ares' Pantheon Pack(Unfinished) vs. The Arrow-Rogues....This is gonna be wild! Are we allowed to "Call Out" teams for this?

Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:44 am

MacynSnow wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:19 am
So far we got Cape City Birds of Prey vs.The Non-Comics Injustice League vs. Ares' Pantheon Pack(Unfinished) vs. The Arrow-Rogues....This is gonna be wild! Are we allowed to "Call Out" teams for this?
I'm not sure what you mean by "Call Out". I'm going to let the players decide how we handle the match ups. We can either do it tournament style, where everyone pairs off against someone in brackets, you write a story against your opponents team, and the better story moves up to the next bracket, until we have a winner.

Alternatively, everyone could simply get their own thread and write out a chapter against the opponents team of their choice, and the winners will be determined by the final product.

The former would require less writing and be more definitive, while the latter would be longer and require more work, but allow for more creative freedom and allow everyone to tell the stories they want.

Also, I'm not completely sure how serious Ken is about his team, whether he's just using them as an example of "how obscure I can go", or if he legitimately wants to use them in the tournament.

MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:08 am

Ares wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:44 am
MacynSnow wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean by "Call Out". I'm going to let the players decide how we handle the match ups. We can either do it tournament style, where everyone pairs off against someone in brackets, you write a story against your opponents team, and the better story moves up to the next bracket, until we have a winner.

Alternatively, everyone could simply get their own thread and write out a chapter against the opponents team of their choice, and the winners will be determined by the final product.

The former would require less writing and be more definitive, while the latter would be longer and require more work, but allow for more creative freedom and allow everyone to tell the stories they want.

Also, I'm not completely sure how serious Ken is about his team, whether he's just using them as an example of "how obscure I can go", or if he legitimately wants to use them in the tournament.
I mean do we get to pick which team we face or do we do a "Randomizer" type idea(basically roll a baseD6 on Coyotecode with evens facing evens and odds facing odds)...

Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:12 am

MacynSnow wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:08 am
Ares wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:44 am
MacynSnow wrote:

I mean do we get to pick which team we face or do we do a "Randomizer" type idea(basically roll a baseD6 on Coyotecode with evens facing evens and odds facing odds)...
If we get enough people to qualify for a full tournament, we'll put it to a vote.

Shadowmask

Post by Shadowmask » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:00 am

Los Defensores (The Defenders) "Porque es nuestro momento de ascender." ("Because its our time to rise.")

1. Firebird (Bonita Juarez) - (Avengers) Marvel Comics
2. El Dorado - DC Super Friends animated tv series
3. Living Lightning (Miguel Santos) - (Avengers) Marvel Comics
4. Arana (Anya Corazon) - Marvel Comics
5, Earth Witch (Ana Cortez) - George R.R. Martin's Wild Cards
6. Bane - DC Comics
7. Sunspot (Roberto DaCosta) - (New Mutants) Marvel Comics

Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:28 am

Shadowmask wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:00 am
Los Defensores (The Defenders) "Porque es nuestro momento de ascender." ("Because its our time to rise.")

1. Firebird (Bonita Juarez) - (Avengers) Marvel Comics
2. El Dorado - DC Super Friends animated tv series
3. Living Lightning (Miguel Santos) - (Avengers) Marvel Comics
4. Arana (Anya Corazon) - Marvel Comics
5, Earth Witch (Ana Cortez) - George R.R. Martin's Wild Cards
6. Bane - DC Comics
7. Sunspot (Roberto DaCosta) - (New Mutants) Marvel Comics
Welcome to the boards, Shadowmask. And a nice team, one with a central theme, mostly heroes and 90% people I actually recognize.

Ken

Post by Ken » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:00 am

I don't think I can find enough info for other people on the non-comics Injustice League, so I'm out (at least until I get another idea.)

Plus, Nuclear Man is being added to the comics.
Does a Winnie poo in the 100-acre wood?

Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:58 am

Ken wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:00 am
I don't think I can find enough info for other people on the non-comics Injustice League, so I'm out (at least until I get another idea.)

Plus, Nuclear Man is being added to the comics.
You technically would be able to still use that list, you'd just need to provide a lot of the info yourself. I'm going to post up a template for character write-ups on here in a bit, and if you can provide all of the info yourself, it'd be fine.

Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:54 am

This is an example of how I plan on writing up each of my own characters when I post them up later. There will be a follow up post with the template that you can quote as use if you wish. I think this would generally be enough info to allow a person to write a character for this tournament.

Captain Marvel
Weight Class: Heavyweight
Full Name: William “Billy” Batson (secret)
Appearance: Captain Marvel appears as a tall (roughly 6’4”), muscular man in his early 30s with wavy black hair, handsome features and a prominent chin. His eyes tend to squint and he is almost always smiling broadly. He wears a predominantly red costume with a military-style jacket flap, highlighted with yellow trim, as well as yellow boots, armbands and a yellow belt. On his chest is a broad lightning bolt symbol. He also wears a short white cape trimmed with gold that tends to be draped over one shoulder. Image 1. Image 2.
Billy Batson appears to be anywhere from a child of twelve to a teenager in his later teens, generally on the shorter side, but in good shape. He has an unruly mop of black hair and like the Captain, is frequently smiling. Image 1.
Abilities: Captain Marvel possesses the Power of Shazam, which grants him the powers of several heroes and gods of mythology.
The Wisdom of Solomon gives him a wealth of information and advice, as well as detecting magic and translating languages for him.
The Strength of Hercules and Stamina of Atlas gives him strength, durability and stamina rivaling Superman or the Hulk. The Stamina of Atlas also allows him to survive without food or air.
The Power of Zeus allows him boost or improve his other abilities temporarily, though the larger the boost, the more it drains him. For instance, Cap can use the Power of Zeus to increase the power of his punches, amp the Stamina of Atlas to resist being transformed or improve the Wisdom of Solomon so that he can see through illusions.
The Courage of Achilles makes Cap immune to fear effects and grants him considerable fighting and tactical knowledge.
The Speed of Mercury allows him to move and fly at superhuman speeds.
The Power of Shazam makes Cap highly resistant to magical effects as well as provides him a kind of badge of authority that is recognized in the supernatural community. It also offers numerous small benefits, such as being able to communicate with others in the vacuum of space.
The Shazam lightning that the Captain uses to transform can be used as an offensive weapon if timed properly, though using it always carries some risk. One mis-timed action can result in either catastrophic damage, or the Captain being turned back into Billy Batson.
The Rock of Eternity allows the Captain to travel to any point in time and space, including other dimensions, alternate realities or points in history.
Backstory: Overnight, young Billy Batson lost his entire world. His parents were murdered by criminals, his twin sister was lost in the confusion, and the relative meant to care for him instead stole his inheritance and left Billy homeless on the streets. But instead of succumbing to despair, Billy held on to hope, refusing to use these bad circumstances as an excuse to become a worse person. For several years he not only survived, but thrived, and it was this unshakable spirit that caused the young boy to be selected by the ancient the ancient wizard Shazam, to inherit carry on the elder mage’s life long battle against evil. Now, whenever Billy speaks the Wizard’s name, he is transformed by a bolt of magic lightning into Captain Marvel, the World’s Mightiest Mortal.
Personality: Billy Batson is a kind, generous and genuinely empathic young man with an incorruptible spirit. He makes friends easily, is genuinely humble about his achievements, has an easy smile and sense of humor, and sincerely wants to help everyone. He has an inquisitive nature that can get him into trouble, but his courage and cleverness frequently get him out of it. He views the world with a genuine sense of wonder, though the tragedies he’s suffered prevent any type of naivety. Above all else, he believes in the power of hope and the ability of the human spirit to overcome its worse nature. As Captain Marvel, Billy is able to more freely act on his heroic impulses, and that freedom often results in him cracking a lot of corny “dad jokes”. However, his greatest gift is his ability to befriend others, and in doing so, inspire a sense of relief and hope whenever he arrives to help.

Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:55 am

Template:

Character
Weight Class: Where you figure the character ranks in the Power Rankings listed on page one.
Full Name: Characters full name and whether their identity is secret or not.
Appearance: Write up of description, can include image links.
Abilities: List of character attributes, skills, powers, equipment and the like.
Ability
Ability
Ability
Ability
Ability
Backstory: Character origin and history.
Personality: Character personality.

MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:01 pm

Now this i can work with! Do we put our characters up here or elsewhere Ares?

HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:49 pm

....ungh.....so tempted....so little time

Shadowmask

Post by Shadowmask » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:59 pm

Firebird
Weight Class: Middleweight.
Full Name: Bonita Juarez though her identity as Firebird is secret.
Appearance:Image 1: https://dd2d9j2i66w9u.cloudfront.net/wp ... 50x325.jpg Image 2: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/7e/10/12 ... fc46c0.jpg
Abilities: As Firebird, she has the power of pyrokinesis, which enables her to mentally excite the atoms in an object until it spontaneously combusts and allows her to perform the following:
• By using her powers to ignite the air around her, she can surround herself with an aura of flames that often takes the shape of a bird, and if she focuses her flames downwards in a tight stream, she can propel herself through the air like a rocket.
• She can channel her powers through her hands to seemingly project searing thermal blasts from her body (actually from her mind), capable of melting steel.
• She can fly by riding wind currents stirred up by the nimbus of fire with which she surrounds herself while flying. Although she can propel herself at superhuman speeds, she cannot breathe at those speeds without skin protection and an oxygen supply. Fatigue impairs her performance after approximately one hour of peak expenditure of power.
• She has also displayed a limited power of precognition, allowing her to have glimpses of the future.
Backstory: Bonita Juarez was born in Taos, New Mexico. She was a social worker and a devout Roman Catholic, who, while walking in the deserts of Albuquerque, New Mexico, came into contact with a radioactive meteorite fragment. The radiation altered her DNA, and gave her the power to generate flames and heat, and even fly. Believing her gifts came from God, she assumed the mythical bird's name, and donned a costume. As Firebird, she received a distress call from the Avengers, and mistakenly battled the Hulk. *She joined with other Latino metahumans (forming a team called Los Defensores) and fought the Corruptor and Despero, rescuing Rick Jones in the process, who had actually sent the signal.*
Personality: Originally Bonita was a somewhat naive girl possessed of amazing powers that she did not understand. Recently she gained a tougher streak during combat though this did not dampen her religious beliefs or her generally pleasant nature.

* - From an alternate Earth (Earth 308).

Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:18 am

HalloweenJack wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:49 pm
....ungh.....so tempted....so little time
We don't have a full crew yet, and the turn in time will likely be lengthy, so don't feel stressed about time. Be good to have another alumni doing this.