Captain Marvel Worries

The place to talk about your favorite movies, tv series, cartoons, music and theater.
Batgirl III

Captain Marvel Worries

Post by Batgirl III »

Brie Larson has been making noise in the media and on the tweet-o-sphere lately. Of the “Woke” kind:
“I do not need a 70-year-old white dude to tell me what didn’t work for him about ‘[A] Wrinkle in Time.’ It wasn’t made for him. I want to know what it meant to women of color, to biracial women, to teen women of color, to teens that are biracial.”
"What I am saying is that if you make a movie that is a love letter to women of color, there is an insanely low chance a woman of color will have the chance to see your movie and review your movie," she said. "We need to be conscious of our bias and make sure that everyone is in the room."
Maybe it’s just me and my paranoid need to over analyze things, but this reminds me a little too much of the pre-release Woke preemptive counterattack against critics of the Ghostbusters rehash, the Ocean’s 8 retread, as well as The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi.

Is Larson just making the proper prostrations to Progressive Wokeness that are de rigueur for contemporary Hollywood... Or is this battlespace prep to silence critics of the upcoming Captain Marvel film? Are we looking at Marvel Studio’s first flop?
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Captain Marvel Worries

Post by Ares »

"We need to be conscious of our bias and make sure that everyone is in the room."

Unless you're a white male, apparently.

I'd seen a few videos touching on this topic, and it does have me a little worried. It strikes me as gearing up for the "Girl Ghostbusters Movies - You Guys Are Sexist" defense from the get go. I've also seen one video that indicates that the Marvel Movies might start having minority/female replacement heroes as well, which is likewise worrisome. The movies had managed to stay free of the SJW nonsense and be a good way to capture the spirit of the comics, if not always the look and exact characterization.

It's making me wonder if Infinity War 2 might have to be a good "Stopping" point for me, the way I've had to stop with other franchises.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Ares wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:09 pm "We need to be conscious of our bias and make sure that everyone is in the room."
It certainly explains why Larson is so concerned that Evangelical Christian film critics and Conservative Republican film reviewers are given ample representation at Sundance Film Festival... :lol:
Hawk

Post by Hawk »

Ares wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:09 pm "We need to be conscious of our bias and make sure that everyone is in the room."

Unless you're a white male, apparently.

I'd seen a few videos touching on this topic, and it does have me a little worried. It strikes me as gearing up for the "Girl Ghostbusters Movies - You Guys Are Sexist" defense from the get go. I've also seen one video that indicates that the Marvel Movies might start having minority/female replacement heroes as well, which is likewise worrisome. The movies had managed to stay free of the SJW nonsense and be a good way to capture the spirit of the comics, if not always the look and exact characterization.

It's making me wonder if Infinity War 2 might have to be a good "Stopping" point for me, the way I've had to stop with other franchises.
If the film's go the same direction the comics did, then I am out as well. I will wait until I hear if this film is worth me spending my money on it, before I see it or not.
BriarThrone

Post by BriarThrone »

What these people don't seem to understand is, if you make an excellent entertainment product that doesn't focus on celebrating race, sex, sexuality, etc, but on telling a fun, exciting, perhaps even compelling story, then the audience will be with you. Most members of the audience are not bigots, and so do not fixate on race in the same way the progressive bigots do. They are therefore not as interested in stories about those topics.
Nunya B

Post by Nunya B »

BriarThrone wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:40 pm What these people don't seem to understand is, if you make an excellent entertainment product that doesn't focus on celebrating race, sex, sexuality, etc, but on telling a fun, exciting, perhaps even compelling story, then the audience will be with you. Most members of the audience are not bigots, and so do not fixate on race in the same way the progressive bigots do. They are therefore not as interested in stories about those topics.
What I find terrifying is how they don't realize (or worse, don't care) what they're doing in their scramble to be "diverse".

When you introduce a minority character and they're a blatant stereotype or a racist caricature, it's wrong (duh). To be more explicit, it's bad because you're treating them as subhuman.

When you introduce a minority character fro diversity quotas or LGBT cred or progressive appearances, it's taking it an entire step further. You're not treating them as a person, you're reducing them to the level of a tickbox or a number in a spreadsheet. It's bader because you're dehumanizing them.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

The diversity is almost always literally skin deep. You have to have Blacks, South Asians, Hispanics, Arabs, Persians, East Asians, Pacific Islanders, Indigenous Americans... and every last one of them must be a Liberal Progressive Democrat or maybe a Liberal Progressive Green Party member, if you want to be exotic.
Hawk

Post by Hawk »

Batgirl III wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:01 pm Brie Larson has been making noise in the media and on the tweet-o-sphere lately. Of the “Woke” kind:
“I do not need a 70-year-old white dude to tell me what didn’t work for him about ‘[A] Wrinkle in Time.’ It wasn’t made for him. I want to know what it meant to women of color, to biracial women, to teen women of color, to teens that are biracial.”
"What I am saying is that if you make a movie that is a love letter to women of color, there is an insanely low chance a woman of color will have the chance to see your movie and review your movie," she said. "We need to be conscious of our bias and make sure that everyone is in the room."
Maybe it’s just me and my paranoid need to over analyze things, but this reminds me a little too much of the pre-release Woke preemptive counterattack against critics of the Ghostbusters rehash, the Ocean’s 8 retread, as well as The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi.

Is Larson just making the proper prostrations to Progressive Wokeness that are de rigueur for contemporary Hollywood... Or is this battlespace prep to silence critics of the upcoming Captain Marvel film? Are we looking at Marvel Studio’s first flop?
I seriously doubt that she would enjoy being told that her opinion on a movie wasn't wanted because it wasn't made for her. :roll:
I also doubt her "I don't hate white men."
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

There's a comics based site called unstablemolecules.com I occasionally visit because a guy on there known as 'Monolith' has written quite in depth power descriptions for a huge number of Marvel characters. Sadly, everyone else on the site are unbelievably SJW about every single little thing, I was pretty much run off the site because I stated Iron Fist shouldn't be cast with an Asian actor, they couldn't get past their belief that anyone with that view was just a racist. It's just so funny to see the difference between the two sites, I'd absolutely love to see their reaction to threads such as this and the previous one about the Iceman and Wasp books, which of course they're all sporting woke-boners over.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

This is why i never take the Sidekick to Movies anymore,a lot of people nowadays just don't want to listen to an Honest Opinion anymore.my honest hope is that they don't turn this Potentially good movie into the 'Female Ghostbustergate'(my problem with it wasn't the 'female agenda' the writer tried to shove down our throats,it was the fact that it was a BADLY written Movie...) of the MCU.
Shock

Post by Shock »

Why all the fuss? She didn't even mention Captain Marvel.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Shock wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:45 am Why all the fuss? She didn't even mention Captain Marvel.
Like I said, it might just be paranoia on my part... But there has been a trend the last several years to preemptively silence critics of an unreleased film / book / video game by smearing potential critics as all being guilty of some sort of -ist or -ism. To hear Larson essentially saying "You can't criticize a movie about a black woman, unless you're black woman." raises some red flags for me.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

oh, haha. I was actually gonna bring up A Wrinkle In Time at some point, but I kept forgetting to post about it in the Movies section, and didn't want to mention it in my thread for fear or further SJW-themed derailing, but I found the failure of that movie hilarious.

I mean, they pushed it HARD. I swear that's one of the biggest pushes I've ever seen for a film, to the point where it was in all the previews, constantly pushed at the Disney Store (I live there shut up), on the cover of FRIGGIN' TIME MAGAZINE, and more! And yet... the entire push was basically "HEY! LOOK AT THIS CAST! LOOK AT IT!!!" as if some nobody kids, Oprah, Kelly Kapoor and Reese Witherspoon were supposed to sell the entire movie because it looked quirky and weird.

It didn't seem to be ABOUT anything! And it just looked ODD- if you're gonna go Big Budget, then you'd better go with action. Not "neat actresses in crazy clothes standing in a field". Advertising it in the trades as Woke: The Movie also wasn't gonna put the asses in seats.

You know what put asses in seats? Wonder Woman. That movie was "Woke" as shit, but it was also like "HEY LOOK AT THIS FUCKIN' HOT CHICK KICK SOME ASS!!!" and people WANTED TO SEE IT. They didn't advertise it as "Feminism 101" or anything, even though it WAS feminist- that trick NEVER works. Also, they did this sneaky, dirty, nasty tactic: they made it GOOD.

Also, it's hilarious that A Wrinkle In Time failed, despite this monstrous, all-consuming push... in part because it came out at the same time as Black Panther, which hit the same "Hey look! Brown people!" notes, was just as preachy in the trades... but was also good and people wanted to see it. So ANOTHER DISNEY MOVIE was basically responsible for crushing this failed Disney movie.

But yeah... if they start pushing Captain Marvel in that Ghostbusters style of "You sexist, racist, homophobic pieces of shit are going to HATE this!", then everyone's gonna get their backs up and it's gonna nosedive. Thankfully, Disney & Marvel have been clever enough in their advertising and pushing of stuff that I doubt they'll go straight into it- there's a LOT of corporate oversight over the superhero line in particular.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

You know,i never thought i'd be GLAD to have Corporate oversight in the superhero movie genre.Part of me just hopes we don't have the "Parker Curse" with this one,as we're due for at least one bad movie soon....