[3E OOC] The J.V. Team

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Batgirl III

Re: [3E OOC] Toys Will Be Toys

Post by Batgirl III »

MacynSnow wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:16 am Know i'm not part of the game,but quick note to Bg/Express: Couldn's you just take a bicycle with you when you freeze time? I get the feeling that whatever your touching would be able to move with you.So if you held onto a bike,you should theoretically be able to move faster....
That's one of those "game-play versus story" considerations. Her powers are (mostly) the Teleport Effect and a bicycle should be under her weight limit, but its not going to change the Ranks she has in the power... which is what ultimately determines her travel distance. Could be a good way to explain a Power Stunt, though.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Batgirl III wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:29 amThat's one of those "game-play versus story" considerations. Her powers are (mostly) the Teleport Effect and a bicycle should be under her weight limit, but its not going to change the Ranks she has in the power... which is what ultimately determines her travel distance. Could be a good way to explain a Power Stunt, though.
Indeed. Although it is one of those things where you might use it to handle extrinsic factors of the time-stop. For example the Swinging to allow covering 30 foot gaps at a time.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Claremont Academy is in the southwest part of Bayview Heights (64 on the map) and Fun-Time Toys HQ is in the Theater District (42 on the map). It's about 4.5 miles as the crow flies, probably about 6-7 miles via roads.

Needless to say, unless it becomes important, you arrive at the speed of plot.

Just let me know if Express is hitching a ride or walking the distance.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Express will use her Time Stop Marathon power and “walk” there. Maybe use her grappling hook to get into a suitable spot for super-heroically looking down on the warehouse while waiting for the others.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

The trip between the school and the address related to you by your classmates takes virtually no time as you strain yourself into a higher period of time dilation. The trip is uneventful to the extreme. At the speed you're moving, the world is little more than a blur, whiting out as the accumulated photons dragged with you turn the world brighter and brighter as you navigate according to what you understand the path to be. An hour later of jogging in that blank white field, you drop the effect and it all hits you at once, the photons accumulating in a flash that leaves your eyes dazzled, in an alleyway just opposite Fun-Time Toys.
No offense meant to our esteemed GM, but this is kind of the opposite of how Express' power works. Despite her name, Express doesn't actually move super-fast, she hits the pause button on reality. Everyone, everything, stops moving except for her.

The trip between the school and the address related to you by your classmates takes about twenty-ish minutes from your perspective, although it happens in an instant to the outside world. The trip is uneventful to the extreme, Freedom City at this hour of the day is usually pretty dull... Too late for the rush-hour commuters and too early for the homeward-bound post-bar crawlers. A brisk jog across town in that freeze frame photograph, you drop the effect and it all hits you at once, the photons leaping back into motion, the sound-waves that had been sitting still in sullen silence shout as they're freed, and the odors of the alleyway you are in finally gets into your nose... It's all enough to leave you dazzled as you catch your breath.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

{nods} Although, by the descriptor of Teleport, you'd basically be unaware of the trip from here to there. That was the best interpretation I could make of you freezing time around yourself to do so. I'm willing to listen to other interpretations of the power.

As it stands, is it the description, rather than the effect, that you object to?
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

That's why it's got the Accurate modifier... and I'm operating under the general assumption that nothing of note happens to catch her attention in between Point A and Point B, especially when using the Extended Teleport. One of those "handwave it as part of the genre" things: "Oh there was a massive car accident on Fifth Street that I didn't notice on my jog across town? Well, that's `cause I took Seventh Street."

We can also explain-away a lot of things that, narrative-wise, a person with the ability to freeze time could do but the game mechanics won't allow Express to do by remembering that she's only had her powers for about two years now. So she's inexperienced with them... She's also a good guy (albeit in a snarky teenager way) so some of the really nasty potential uses of her powers just plain won't occur to her because they're too mean.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

That's fair. I'll replace the description I have with the one you provided. This was just a case of my misunderstanding your descriptor, I think, combined with me taking significance of your sunglasses line.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

That was just me attempting to explain why she dresses like Jubilee. :lol:

I've written several hundred word essays on how the Batman Family's capes work. I tend to overthink costume design elements even when they have zero mechanical impact on the game being played.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

It's probably fine if the rest of you guys describe showing up. If Batgirl III wants to perform some actions, we can resolve them at that time unless she plans on trying to directly break in or the like.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

You should've known better then to give her ideas!
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
Nunya B

Post by Nunya B »

Doctor Malsyn wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:09 pm You should've known better then to give her ideas!
I really should have.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

I just spent like fifteen minutes crunching the numbers on how large of an area Trinh could search in 1/8 second using her Quickness Effect... only te realize at the last step that Investigation is a "Trained Only" Skill and Express has zero ranks in it!

Me! Batgirl! Playing a character who isn't even momentarily trained as a detective... :o
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Wow that looks interesting,,,wait its a rock

well its a very interesting rock

did someone find a baseball? I dropped one back there.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

:lol:
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."