Interest Check [OVA]

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
MacynSnow

Re: Interest Check [OVA]

Post by MacynSnow »

Ok,here's my concept....
Hedao Itami From:Hanabi/originally America(Boston) Element:Water Diviner: Old Timey Ship's Wheel Compass Specific Attack:"Aqua Wall!"(Flashing his Compass into the Air,the viewer see's an image of a Giant Sperm Whale then briefly shows as a gianormus wall of water rushes and strikes the opponent...)
Lesser Ability:Absolute perfect sense of Direction Personality:Good-hearted 'Scallawag' that does what he thinks is right,even if he get's into trouble for it.Quirks: Despite the Element, he can be Hot-tempered,rushing headlong into situations without thinking.He also tends to be bluntly Honest,bordering on being Rude.

Abilities:Iron Willed 2, Quick 3, Sixth Sense 1, Tough 3 Weaknesses: Short-Tempered 2, Rude 2, Kind-Hearted 2
Perks: Area Effect, Multiple Targets, Stunning Flaws: Build-up, Elaborate Gesture
Last edited by MacynSnow on Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:46 am, edited 4 times in total.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Nice! Good concept!

I like the compas/water combo, and the imagery for the special attack is very cool (makes me think of the final battle in The Boy and the Beast anime movie. If you haven't seen it, see it. Awesome coming of age movie.). And his minor spiritual power is fitting.

Note the compas doesn't need to necessarily be old timey. You can play with the concept of it aesthetically and maintain the idea of it being a compas while possibpy giving it more functionality for future special attacks. IE if you want it to be a large compas star shuriken or ship wheel used as a shuriken or a shield, or thay can throw water-formed shurikens as a later special attack, all totally viable and cool.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

EpicEclipse wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:14 am Nice! Good concept!

I like the compas/water combo, and the imagery for the special attack is very cool (makes me think of the final battle in The Boy and the Beast anime movie. If you haven't seen it, see it. Awesome coming of age movie.). And his minor spiritual power is fitting.

Note the compas doesn't need to necessarily be old timey. You can play with the concept of it aesthetically and maintain the idea of it being a compas while possibpy giving it more functionality for future special attacks. IE if you want it to be a large compas star shuriken or ship wheel used as a shuriken or a shield, or thay can throw water-formed shurikens as a later special attack, all totally viable and cool.
Ok,i'll do just that(the Ship wheel design for old compasses wold work great for that)....
Edit: i've placed down some points,but don't know all the game variables(how far in the postive we start,etc.) so i don't know if any of it's right....
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

MacynSnow wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:20 am
EpicEclipse wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:14 am Nice! Good concept!

Ok,i'll do just that(the Ship wheel design for old compasses wold work great for that)....
Edit: i've placed down some points,but don't know all the game variables(how far in the postive we start,etc.) so i don't know if any of it's right....
You're at +3 in Abilities/Weaknesses, so you're fine.

As far as Perks and Flaws go, those are PER ATTACK, so don't worry about them too much, since I'll be helping construct the attacks. Additionally, the numbers in parenthesis are the energy cost modifications. You can have a value below 0, but you don't get energy back for it, but any value over 0 is used whenever you use the attack.

The reason I want to help with the special attacks is so they maintain a progression basis, getting stronger with each new special attack earned.
Camus

Post by Camus »

How was my expanded draft?
心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Camus wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:22 pm So I live in a country that is restricted from buying stuff outside (we are still coming out of a cuba like state of things) so buying anything in dollars is a "no no". I can still download something if someone wants to share (like you did with those images, not the full book or anything, just enough to build a PC) or search stuff in the internet.

Here is a revised character description:
Kasai Akihide "Aki". Aki was always a bit introverted. As a child, his mother encouraged him to go out a play with his neighbors, since he was her only child. His father was a salaryman, which meant he rarely saw him aside from weekends. The man was a great kendo martial artist, but had given up his kendo career for a more profitable job once Aki was born. Perhaps there was some resent in that, and some unfulfilled dream on his part that took him to teach the young Aki the art of the sword. The so far nonexistent attention from his father made Aki a fanatic of kendo. All japanese youngsters want to make their parents feel proud of them, and for Aki, becoming a master of kendo would achieve just that. He practices his art day and night, and it became his "focus", that identity, that thing you do that separates you from the crowd. He holds the practice of kendo as his only worthy achievement because he didnt invest time in other things. Things were fairly stable until Aki's father got transferred to "CITY IN WHICH THE PLOT OCCURS" two years ago. That meant changing not only school and friends, but also kendo dojo. And there he would met his rival. No kendo master is complete without a rival, and rivals are usually found when training under a particularly gifted teacher, as seemed to be the fact here. Asamoto Tojo was a gifted with the sword. But his gift came natural, not the product of training and discipline, so he despised those. That made Aki even more willing to surpass him, to prove how dedication and discipline can overcome anything. So far, however, he still remains to defeat Tojo in single combat.
When the age of inmersing in tech came, Aki was too focused on his do, so it came and went, without him noticing. That made him a complete inept at technological devices, trends and things like that. He still uses that old nokia 100 his father gave him. "It makes phone calls" is all he says when people ask him what that strange thing with buttons is.
Aki's element is Cosmos (?) so his attacks are things like "Cosmic Ryusei-ken!" (Cosmic Meteor sword!) or "Showakusei Bomba!" (Asteroid bomber) (I dont know why but there has to be a "bomber" attack name for some reason) and the like.

Listing possible weaknesses and abilities without knowing what the are at all.
Weaknesses: Code of Conduct, Focus, Obsession, Rival, Stubborn
Abilities: Armoured, Combat expert, Strong, (Tough or Vigorous?), Iron willed
I actually missed this rehash of the concept. It is very sufficiently dialed back, thank you, though I think you have your timeline of technological advancements a bit off.

The "age of immersing in technology" was already occurring before he was born. Starting anyways, and in full swing by the time he would have been old enough to even notice it, and also too young to understand it. Also, it hasn't "went" yet. The idea of him being so engrossed in his training he doesn't really have time for technology is fine and even just being naturally inept at the complexities of technology is fine, I'm just saying you're kind of artificially creating a reason for it that doesn't really fit with the whole "immersing in technology age came and went without him noticing".

As for his element, it sounds like you mean cosmos as in space in general with names like that. It's okay, just seems a little off-theme for the rest of him, being so traditionalist but having a more "futuristic" element such as space. And you didn't include a new idea for his Diviner.
Camus

Post by Camus »

EpicEclipse wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:28 am
Camus wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:22 pm So I live in a country that is restricted from buying stuff outside (we are still coming out of a cuba like state of things) so buying anything in dollars is a "no no". I can still download something if someone wants to share (like you did with those images, not the full book or anything, just enough to build a PC) or search stuff in the internet.

Here is a revised character description:
Kasai Akihide "Aki". Aki was always a bit introverted. As a child, his mother encouraged him to go out a play with his neighbors, since he was her only child. His father was a salaryman, which meant he rarely saw him aside from weekends. The man was a great kendo martial artist, but had given up his kendo career for a more profitable job once Aki was born. Perhaps there was some resent in that, and some unfulfilled dream on his part that took him to teach the young Aki the art of the sword. The so far nonexistent attention from his father made Aki a fanatic of kendo. All japanese youngsters want to make their parents feel proud of them, and for Aki, becoming a master of kendo would achieve just that. He practices his art day and night, and it became his "focus", that identity, that thing you do that separates you from the crowd. He holds the practice of kendo as his only worthy achievement because he didnt invest time in other things. Things were fairly stable until Aki's father got transferred to "CITY IN WHICH THE PLOT OCCURS" two years ago. That meant changing not only school and friends, but also kendo dojo. And there he would met his rival. No kendo master is complete without a rival, and rivals are usually found when training under a particularly gifted teacher, as seemed to be the fact here. Asamoto Tojo was a gifted with the sword. But his gift came natural, not the product of training and discipline, so he despised those. That made Aki even more willing to surpass him, to prove how dedication and discipline can overcome anything. So far, however, he still remains to defeat Tojo in single combat.
When the age of inmersing in tech came, Aki was too focused on his do, so it came and went, without him noticing. That made him a complete inept at technological devices, trends and things like that. He still uses that old nokia 100 his father gave him. "It makes phone calls" is all he says when people ask him what that strange thing with buttons is.
Aki's element is Cosmos (?) so his attacks are things like "Cosmic Ryusei-ken!" (Cosmic Meteor sword!) or "Showakusei Bomba!" (Asteroid bomber) (I dont know why but there has to be a "bomber" attack name for some reason) and the like.

Listing possible weaknesses and abilities without knowing what the are at all.
Weaknesses: Code of Conduct, Focus, Obsession, Rival, Stubborn
Abilities: Armoured, Combat expert, Strong, (Tough or Vigorous?), Iron willed
I actually missed this rehash of the concept. It is very sufficiently dialed back, thank you, though I think you have your timeline of technological advancements a bit off.

The "age of immersing in technology" was already occurring before he was born. Starting anyways, and in full swing by the time he would have been old enough to even notice it, and also too young to understand it. Also, it hasn't "went" yet. The idea of him being so engrossed in his training he doesn't really have time for technology is fine and even just being naturally inept at the complexities of technology is fine, I'm just saying you're kind of artificially creating a reason for it that doesn't really fit with the whole "immersing in technology age came and went without him noticing".

As for his element, it sounds like you mean cosmos as in space in general with names like that. It's okay, just seems a little off-theme for the rest of him, being so traditionalist but having a more "futuristic" element such as space. And you didn't include a new idea for his Diviner.
Ah, I meant his age, not the age as in the year where technology exploded. But yes, fair point, it was an unnecessary element.
I wanted to put a paragraph of how he relaxed looking at the stars and the night sky so his element would come more in theme. I wasnt thinking of it in the futuristic theme, rather the outer space, which has been there forever (mostly).
As for diviner I am still debating. A small metallic meteorite that appears and when used it turns into a sword made of a strange metal? I could use some help with this.
心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Eh, space just comes off as futuristic when used as an element, in my mind anyways. You are right, space has been around forever, but knowledge about space is much more modern, that's where the disconnect for me is where you peg him as more a traditionalist. Like I said, it's fine, just seemed odd to me.

As for a Diviner, look at the other ideas; a stylized inkpen, and a compass ship wheel. In both cases, they are exactly what I had described, iconic items for the character that can act as mediums for their special attacks. They aren't weapons in a traditional sense, but they represent the character they belong to well to where I can already picture their original Tuner owners.

For Aki, a sword of some sort seems rather appropriate, maybe something looking a little space-aged to tie in his element, or maybe if you wanted to use a different element, to avoid something looking technological given his aversion to it, something more natural and flavor the sword's look to that. Maybe fire representative of his burning passion for his swordsmanship? Lightning for decisiveness and dedication to a path? Earth for its timelessness and solidity, also appropriately running counter to technology in that regard? Or you could do metal, unbending and uncompromising with your sword appearing as simply a hilt, but with a liquid metal blade that extends from it when you wish to attack, giving you surprising flexibility and speed? (I actually really like the last idea on a personal note, it gives me the best visualizations, but don't pick it just because I like it. I think all the suggestions I made are very solid, and I am sure there are other ideas as well)
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Epic, judging by what I have for my background and such, do you think there are any other abilities and qeaknesses that might fit him?
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Doctor Malsyn wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:05 am Epic, judging by what I have for my background and such, do you think there are any other abilities and qeaknesses that might fit him?
Up to you really. Most of them are personality traits.

Obviously, there will be a Transformation ability which will have its own additional abilities, but I'll be helping with that.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

I ask that because I don't happen to have their descriptions on hand and a couple of them are more obscure. Like, what does "Room for Two" entail, or Ageism?

Of the ones I understand... How about Unique Weakness: Writer's block? Or as he dosn't have the freedom to write as much as he likes, restricted freedom? Languid might fit him too.
------------
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Doctor Malsyn wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:15 am I ask that because I don't happen to have their descriptions on hand and a couple of them are more obscure. Like, what does "Room for Two" entail, or Ageism?

Of the ones I understand... How about Unique Weakness: Writer's block? Or as he dosn't have the freedom to write as much as he likes, restricted freedom? Languid might fit him too.
Room for Two is having a voice in your head that isn't yours. Ageism is appropriate for one rank on teenagers, for sure as adults don't typically take them super seriously. Not sure the Writer's Block would really constitute a weakness because when would him not being allowed to write what he wants ever come into play for a check? Languid reduces your Energy by 10 per rank as you lack the energy and pep of most people.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Ahh, I see, probably not that last one then. And as for writer's block- I see it more as he has trouble at times accessing his element of Creativity, as many artisits and writers do, causing some of his attacks to fail when he's struggling with it.
------------
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Doctor Malsyn wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:40 am Ahh, I see, probably not that last one then. And as for writer's block- I see it more as he has trouble at times accessing his element of Creativity, as many artisits and writers do, causing some of his attacks to fail when he's struggling with it.
Ahh, well, we can use that. Definitely something that can come up in those cases.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Amari Ryoichi
Element: Creativity
Diviner: Fountain pen
Signature Attack: Tirade of a Thousand Words! (Ryoichi quickly weaves his Diviner in the air with unnatural speed, simultaneously writing a short story where each written kanji blasts forward into his target)
Linked Skill: Heightened sense of stratagem
Personality: Ryo as he prefers to be called, is a rather smart kid with a good head on his shoulders and a passion for writing, yet his shy and awkward nature get's the best of him when it comes to interacting with others.

Abilities:Intuitive 2, Passion 3, Perceptive 2, Smart 2, Knowledge 2 (Computers)
Weaknesses: Ageism 1, Clumsy 1, Kind Hearted 1, Restricted Freedom 1, Shy 2, Unique Weakness: Writer's Block 1
Perks: ?
Last edited by Doctor Malsyn on Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:12 am, edited 3 times in total.
------------