Interest Check [OVA]

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Doctor Malsyn

Re: Interest Check [OVA]

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Figures, my father doesn't actually have the system. He doesn't seem to particularly like it, considering it an "Anti-system". We do have some stuff that is based off of it, as well as Fudge, but I don't think they'd do the trick. I believe someone mentioned there was an SRD of it though?
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Fate as a system is pretty compact. It has a list of skills, and the rest is Aspects. I'm not sure what your dad means by "anti-system", that doesn't make a lot of sense to begin with. Even the more narrative aspect of the system (Aspects) are a system with mechanics for how to use them... so not sure where he's got that idea. I mean, it's one thing to not really like it, and that's fine, everyone will like different things, but to call it an anti-system is kind of baseless...

As for the SRD, I'm sure you can google Fate SRD to get that, but again, the PDF is p.w.y.w (Pay what you want) on DriveThruRPG.

Personally, I would rather run OVA, but I know getting everyone with a copy of the rules would be more difficult. Posting it online for you guys to use would be not strictly speaking legal, which is why I suggested I could run it with FATE.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Couldn't say, dad's a bit of an oddity when it comes to gaming. Knows a lot of people in the industry too, so it probably colors his opinions from time to time.

As for the system you want to run, it's all up to you! Your game, you run what you feel most comfortable with.
------------
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Here is the image for the list of Abilities/Weaknesses and Perks/Flaws

For any questions about specifics what they do, you'll have to ask.

And a character Sheet so you know what you have.

MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Not sure what the "TV" stat's refering to,can i get an example/explaination?
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

MacynSnow wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:57 pm Not sure what the "TV" stat's refering to,can i get an example/explaination?
TV = Threat Value and largely not important for you. You can ignore it. It's for the GM to formulate appropriate threats, and I can calculate it myself.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

How many points/dice we got to work with and what costs what?(i'm gonna assume it's a point-buy system,but we know what assuming can do to you&me...)
Camus

Post by Camus »

So I live in a country that is restricted from buying stuff outside (we are still coming out of a cuba like state of things) so buying anything in dollars is a "no no". I can still download something if someone wants to share (like you did with those images, not the full book or anything, just enough to build a PC) or search stuff in the internet.

Here is a revised character description:
Kasai Akihide "Aki". Aki was always a bit introverted. As a child, his mother encouraged him to go out a play with his neighbors, since he was her only child. His father was a salaryman, which meant he rarely saw him aside from weekends. The man was a great kendo martial artist, but had given up his kendo career for a more profitable job once Aki was born. Perhaps there was some resent in that, and some unfulfilled dream on his part that took him to teach the young Aki the art of the sword. The so far nonexistent attention from his father made Aki a fanatic of kendo. All japanese youngsters want to make their parents feel proud of them, and for Aki, becoming a master of kendo would achieve just that. He practices his art day and night, and it became his "focus", that identity, that thing you do that separates you from the crowd. He holds the practice of kendo as his only worthy achievement because he didnt invest time in other things. Things were fairly stable until Aki's father got transferred to "CITY IN WHICH THE PLOT OCCURS" two years ago. That meant changing not only school and friends, but also kendo dojo. And there he would met his rival. No kendo master is complete without a rival, and rivals are usually found when training under a particularly gifted teacher, as seemed to be the fact here. Asamoto Tojo was a gifted with the sword. But his gift came natural, not the product of training and discipline, so he despised those. That made Aki even more willing to surpass him, to prove how dedication and discipline can overcome anything. So far, however, he still remains to defeat Tojo in single combat.
When the age of inmersing in tech came, Aki was too focused on his do, so it came and went, without him noticing. That made him a complete inept at technological devices, trends and things like that. He still uses that old nokia 100 his father gave him. "It makes phone calls" is all he says when people ask him what that strange thing with buttons is.
Aki's element is Cosmos (?) so his attacks are things like "Cosmic Ryusei-ken!" (Cosmic Meteor sword!) or "Showakusei Bomba!" (Asteroid bomber) (I dont know why but there has to be a "bomber" attack name for some reason) and the like.

Listing possible weaknesses and abilities without knowing what the are at all.
Weaknesses: Code of Conduct, Focus, Obsession, Rival, Stubborn
Abilities: Armoured, Combat expert, Strong, (Tough or Vigorous?), Iron willed
心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

After giving it enough though, I keep coming to a different idea... The element of Creativity. His Diviner would take the form of an Inkpen, wielded in his hands as if it were a magic wand. When he shouts his signature moves, their names form in mid air as if written himself. Special attacks would be writing related in nature, though with an attempt to make it seem cool. "Perfect Prose!", "Aliteration Assasination", "One thousand words!" "Tale told at the End of Time!"

I'm not too sure on what magical abilities he could have specifically, a lot of them could easily fit, but weaknesses and character traits might be easier for now.

Abilities: Passion, Smart, Intuitive
Weaknesses: Clumsy, Kind-hearted, Shy

There could be a few others, but in general this is what I think fits him best right now.
------------
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

withdrawn
Last edited by Flynnarrel on Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Something pithy this way comes."
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

No adding Noise incursions. :/ If there were additional instances of the Noise, I would mention them, but because plot, I can't have you adding things like "The Noise rose again in this time period! and this character is reincarnated from this guy from that time"

Besides, the only really relevant past life the characters have is the original Tuners, since it's the only one they would be gaining anything from in the way of their Tuner powers, besides that, any dominant traits would have always been present, so don't need to be justified by "Oh, they were this in a previous life, so that carried froward".

Elsewise, a youngster prodigy is indeed a common trope, but not always appropriate given other themes and potential violence. I don't mind if you have them start highschool a few years early, but 10 is too young. Being too young can be a dividing point between characters as they can't relate to each other. 1st year senior highschool is 16, so maybe have him be 14 years old, that's still two years advanced which is still impressive, but not so big a divide that the character will be unable to really relate to each other.

As for the Diviner idea, I did mention a Diviner had to be a hand-held item, so the golem does not fit that guideline. Unless it's a golem he could actually hold in his hand, but he would have to have the scroll of the golem.

Another point, based on your description, you have the diviner manifest based on the beliefs of the 16th century reincarnation, and that is incorrect. The Diviners were manifested in their form by the original Tuners. The faiths and beliefs of the modern reincarnation would not alter them, nor would they be something inappropriate to them.

Lastly, I think you were trying to imply the character's "element" is truth, which is a fine idea, since Doc switched his concept to use creativity instead of obscurity (otherwise the two elements would be too related in such a small cast), but how does it get used for special attacks. The element is a power source for the various special attacks a character will learn through their career.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Doctor Malsyn wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:10 pm After giving it enough though, I keep coming to a different idea... The element of Creativity. His Diviner would take the form of an Inkpen, wielded in his hands as if it were a magic wand. When he shouts his signature moves, their names form in mid air as if written himself. Special attacks would be writing related in nature, though with an attempt to make it seem cool. "Perfect Prose!", "Aliteration Assasination", "One thousand words!" "Tale told at the End of Time!"

I'm not too sure on what magical abilities he could have specifically, a lot of them could easily fit, but weaknesses and character traits might be easier for now.

Abilities: Passion, Smart, Intuitive
Weaknesses: Clumsy, Kind-hearted, Shy

There could be a few others, but in general this is what I think fits him best right now.
Just keep in mind that learning new special attacks is generally a progression based thing. You don't typically have instant access to the infinite number of special attacks something like creativity as an element would theoretically grant. But, I do like the idea of the pen and the naming convention you have going on.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

MacynSnow wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:09 pm How many points/dice we got to work with and what costs what?(i'm gonna assume it's a point-buy system,but we know what assuming can do to you&me...)
It's not exactly point based, but it also kind of is. It's more like point balancing.

Abilities can be ranked up to 5, Weaknesses can be ranked up to 3. You want to aim for a 0 sum, adding the total ranks of all abilities and subtracting the ranks of all weaknesses. You can be within 5 of 0 on either side.

Rank 5 abilities are considered exceptional, obviously being the higher rank and all, and characters should not have that rank of ability to start, and even rank 4 should be taken sparingly. Likewise with rank 3 weaknesses. They are incredibly impactful and should be taken with care.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

EpicEclipse wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:07 pm Just keep in mind that learning new special attacks is generally a progression based thing. You don't typically have instant access to the infinite number of special attacks something like creativity as an element would theoretically grant. But, I do like the idea of the pen and the naming convention you have going on.
Thanks! I really did need to just step back and take a better look at things. I don't expect him to have all these big attacks of course, but its more an example of what they could be like.
------------
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

If you need some ideas, there are two characters in Fairy Tail that use script-based magic by the by. The "solid script" concept is more interesting.

For example, the character writer fire in the air and the letters become fire. More to the point I am making is maybe his attacks have a similar idea where he writers something in the air which becomes the attack. It gives a lot of freedom in what exactly he resides on to be his special attacks.

Like, One Thousand Words I could imagine being a barrage of energy shots as he weaves his Diviner writing Beam or something over and over rapidly, each turning into an energy blast.

Perfect Prose maybe he writes Blade and it becomes a rapier blade that extends from his own which he makes am attack with. (Because fencing of course has such focus on perfect stance, or "pose", which is only a letter off from prose)

Just some ideas based on the naming you already provided .