Interest Check [OVA]

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Doctor Malsyn

Re: Interest Check [OVA]

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

We'll be thr loose crowd, the group of outcasts that have to band together by circumstance. Or... Or I could play a more socially active kid, who still mamages to just blend into the background by being so downright generic.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

I still have the character I settled on for that Persona game on my computer, so I figure it couldn't hurt to put her up here again, minus the M&M stats.

IWATANI REIKA

COMPLICATIONS
Motivation: Protecting others
Self-Sacrifice - Reika is determined to never again watch helplessly as somebody is victimized, even at the cost of harm to herself. At her best, this means coming to the rescue of those in need, but at her worst this makes her a busybody or a would-be martyr.
Yamato NadeshiK.O. - Reika is both the karate club's ace and one of its few female members, while at the same time working at her family's shop. She struggles to balance the need to present a graceful, ladylike face to her parents and customers with the need to project strength to her club and its challengers.
Reliable - Her classmates and the people in her neighborhood have noticed Reika's desire to come to the aid of others, and have quickly learned that when there's something nobody else wants to do, you can usually get Reika to do it.

Iwatani Reika's parents own a neighborhood flower shop, and Reika was brought up to take it over from them someday. She was taught to be a gracious, gentle hostess with a keen eye for beauty. When she was ten years old, however, her life took a different turn. Her parents were out of the house when it was broken into, and Reika was terrified. She hid in a closet and watched helplessly as two men in masks ransacked the house and took everything they thought was worth stealing. The police arrived too late to help, and they never recovered anything that was stolen. Reika's parents were far from rich, and it took them a long time to recover from the burglary. Reika never forgave herself for not being able to help.

That night, Reika decided she had to become stronger, so that if anything like this happened again, she would be able to do something. She threw herself into physical exercise and study of the martial arts. Her parents know that she's taken up a new hobby in her teen years, but don't realize how dangerously single-minded she's become. Reika does everything she can to hide it from them. She's already failed them once, in her own mind, and doesn't want to worry them further.

She's a little like a combination Sailor Jupiter and Sailor Neptune. And I'm entirely too proud of "Yamato NadeshiK.O."
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

She might be a little intense with the break in backstory, but a karate club member whose parents also run a flower shop she helps with would be a fantastic character on its own.

For these characters, I want them more or less "normal". I mean, still anime, but we're not looking for deep seated reasons for being superheroes here. They'll have destiny to fall on for that.
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

It'd be easy enough to take out the break-in. She'd just have a punching things hobby that sometimes conflicts with her flower hobby.
Camus

Post by Camus »

EpicEclipse wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:18 am @Camus: I think you are also missing a point on what a Diviner is. It is a soul weapon, an icon. It's not an actual object from reality, merely shaped like one. And again, reincarnated soul. Instances like this, the soul is almost never passed along the same bloodline, and often remains dormant over many lifetimes, passing through different families. So your description of a diviner would not work.

I do wonder how a modern teenager comes to despise modern technological times in japan.
So like a trinket he could have bought randomly? Why wouldn't the practice sword not work thought? Not necessarily a weapon doesn't mean that it can't be shaped like one right?
Oh you find that type of person in Japan specially in small towns. I've met a few, and interestingly enough they were much more open and welcoming to me than"regular" Japanese
心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ
Camus

Post by Camus »

EpicEclipse wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:43 am She might be a little intense with the break in backstory, but a karate club member whose parents also run a flower shop she helps with would be a fantastic character on its own.

For these characters, I want them more or less "normal". I mean, still anime, but we're not looking for deep seated reasons for being superheroes here. They'll have destiny to fall on for that.
Constructive criticism: remember that game that didn't start because of over restrictive character building? Try not to do that again, specially considering you said you wouldn't in the opening post
心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

That doesn't mean make whatever random character you want with not regard for the setting and atmosphere I am aiming for.

On that note, I can't allow the concept you pitched Camus. Nakama is an important trope to shounen style anime, and an introverted loner who despises technology is utterly incondusive to being nakama.

You're also still failing to understand what a Diviner is, despite my stating implicitly what they are. They are a weapon in the form of an icon that is manifested from the soul. It is not an item that exists in normal reality that the characters can just carry around. They only have access to it when transformed and tuned to the frequency where they fight the Noise.

For sake of an example, the various wands and scepters Sailor Moon uses. They aren't just laying around her bedroom somewhere. They magically appear to her when she needs them while she is transformed. The Diviners are the same way. They magically manifest in hand when conjured. They aren't just laying around somewhere else when not in use.

A kendo enthusiast who is inept with technology and tends to shy away from it and has introverted tendancies would be fine (Note, I am an introvert, so I know the difference between a loner and an introvert.), even interesting. What you have is this, but dialed to 11.
Camus

Post by Camus »

EpicEclipse wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:22 am That doesn't mean make whatever random character you want with not regard for the setting and atmosphere I am aiming for.

On that note, I can't allow the concept you pitched Camus. Nakama is an important trope to shounen style anime, and an introverted loner who despises technology is utterly incondusive to being nakama.

You're also still failing to understand what a Diviner is, despite my stating implicitly what they are. They are a weapon in the form of an icon that is manifested from the soul. It is not an item that exists in normal reality that the characters can just carry around. They only have access to it when transformed and tuned to the frequency where they fight the Noise.

For sake of an example, the various wands and scepters Sailor Moon uses. They aren't just laying around her bedroom somewhere. They magically appear to her when she needs them while she is transformed. The Diviners are the same way. They magically manifest in hand when conjured. They aren't just laying around somewhere else when not in use.

A kendo enthusiast who is inept with technology and tends to shy away from it and has introverted tendancies would be fine (Note, I am an introvert, so I know the difference between a loner and an introvert.), even interesting. What you have is this, but dialed to 11.
Fair enough, i get the diviner idea clearly now. I thought it was some sort of minor ammulet or memento that would transform into the actual weapon.

So then I can dial his loner nature down and would be viable?
心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

withdrawn.
Last edited by Flynnarrel on Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Something pithy this way comes."
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

The image of a punk rocking out on an old classical instrument like that just sounds far too incredible.
------------
Camus

Post by Camus »

Flynnarrel wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:44 pm Image

Kai Hatamari
I'm thinking a street Punk-rocker.
He and his band toured the underground scene. Maybe he was late to a gig or maybe he stepped out for a smoke but when he came back in/arrived everyone was wandering in a daze, their memories gone (this seems to be what the Noise foot-soldiers do, consume memories, right?). Maybe he could even see the snowy forms, their feasting finished, disappear through the walls. The police chalked it up to a bad batch of some street drug taken by this marginalized group and wrote it off. Kai knew that something was there. (Or this could be the first manifestation of his Tuning and he even fought off a few Noise stragglers.)

Personality-wise he'd be anti-establishment, freedom-loving anarchist. (He'd have a hard time disciplining his emotions).

His element of attack could be 'Sound' as manifested by a guitar, (Though you say Diviners can't/don't change form from incarna to incarna so would this, by necessity, be an ancient stringed instrument like a Biwa?)
If you look quickly there is a reflection on the black side of his glassess that looks like a poppy white eye with a tiny pupil.
心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Let me be more clear on what I am wanting from characters....

The characters are going to be nakama. Their souls are intertwined from their shared past of reincarnation. They don't necessarily start of knowing each other, but would have an odd sense of "I think I know that guy..." yet not being able to place from where because you likely havn't formally met in this life.

I would like characters in high school, 1st, 2nd or 3rd year, don't really care. They don't necessarily have to come from the same school, but that does make it easier.

Personality wise, as I said, they don't need to be a social flower, but traits that are going to have them constantly at odds are a problem. Anti-establishment, to an extent is okay so long as he's not a zealot about it because that literally only causes problems. It's fine to play someone who is dissatisfied with the way the government runs and what not, but actively committing felonies in acting out in rebellion is really going to do nothing but derail the game.

I am seeing a pattern of people suggesting kind of extremes in characters with negative personality traits, and while negative personality traits are fine, I don't understand why they need to be so dialed up.

Additionally, don't put in your first encounters with the epidemic of memory loss. I'll deal with that in game. It's not something you should largely have encountered.

Regarding the Diviners' lack of change, it doesn't mean you're limited to traditional, japanese historical things. This is anime after all. If you want it to look like an electrical guitar, that is fine. There are reasons why that will be okay. Seriously, you can have your Diviners be pretty much anything within reason of being hand-held (so, no armor suits, vehicles, buildings, etc). I'm sorry if I wasn't very clear on that before. You want a high tech laser rifle? Go for it. There's a reason why it's fine, but you can't know what that reason is yet because plot point.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

And the reason why I need to push so hard on the atmosphere and theme is because there are so few people submitting, it's not even really a matter of choosing from a list of submissions. Unless the level of interest suddenly shifts, anyone who submits something is likely to get in, but that doesn't mean it can be just any old character. It still needs to fit the atmosphere and themes of a shounen anime.

So far, I like the karate flower shop character. I think Camus' tech inept kendo guy works well as long as the loner trait is dropped WAY back and the technology thing is dialed back to inept and aversive rather than straight despising.

As for the two punk suggestions, well, a character with a punk like attitude is very doable, look at Kanji from Persona 4, and Shinjiro from Persona 3. Both are "punks", but they are done in a way that they actually mesh well with their respective groups (in very different ways too mind you. Kanji's a punk, but it's almost a misconception with how goofy he comes off with the group, Shinjiro is very serious and a punk, but he's got an actual heart of gold under the facade). So I think being a punk is fine, but that being the spotlight of the character isn't so much. There has to be more to them than "Look at me! I'm a punk! I don't conform to your rules!" otherwise they aren't very interesting.

I like the idea of a transfer student, because it's a trope in and of itself and can be done a lot of different ways to be interesting. An otaku-like character would also be fitting, though I'm not sure it would be best if that is their number 1 defining character trait.

Shounen anime place a heavy emphasis on nakama, as such, it would not at all be inappropriate for you as a group to make your characters as a discussion rather than individually. Think of it like the 4 man band dynamic. Guitar(leader), Bsae(foil), Keyboard(brains), Drums(braun). You don't have to follow that model directly, but it's a good balanced one.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Translator's note: Nakama means friend ;)

I completely get what you mean by now though, Epic. You want a group of kids that while maybe not buddy buddy, have the chance to form a real strong friendship with one another. I'll go fishing around a bit more and come back at you with someone fitting.
------------
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Likewise.I'm still shooting for the Transfer student from Hanabi(i like Brooklyn accents),but i need to find a good teenager pic and should have something up for basic review by end-of-week.Won't be able to get the rules 'till next month though(i'm on a tight budget,so i won't have enough to order it untill then :( )....

You know,i just had a thought:What if we all meet and have an intrest in Music ala Disney's Lemonade Mouth?....