What's new with the big two: Marvel and DC Comics discussion thread.

The place to talk about your favorite novels, comic books and web comics.
Shock

Re: What's new with the big two: Marvel and DC Comics discussion thread.

Post by Shock »

I don't get the uproar about Wolverine. It's not like he's coming back and all of a sudden he's been an Inhuman all along. Pretty much every character that "dies "and comes back is different for a bit when they return and this is a really minor and obviously temporary change.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Well sure, I'm essentially poking fun at myself in my post for how hyperbolic I tend to get at news like this.

It's still REALLY STUPID and will go the way of other really stupid temporary enhancements.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

The entire comic reading public will no doubt react like so:

But, in the meantime, we’re also feeling a bit:

BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Ares wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:37 am
AMERICAN CARNAGE from writer Bryan Hill (TITANS show set to launch on the DC-branded digital service, MICHAEL CRAY) with art by Leandro Fernandez (THE NAMES, The Punisher Max) will debut in November

In this thrilling crime saga, disgraced FBI agent Richard Wright, who is biracial but can pass for white, goes undercover in a white supremacist group believed to be responsible for the death of a fellow agent.
This is the only one that sounds REMOTELY decent.It has a nice premise(fellow FBI agent's killed by possibley White Supremacy group,so they send a hidden biracial agent in undercover to find out),a POSSIBLY good writer/art team(haven't seen Hill's work,so jury's still out), and the fact that it actually fit's with the Vertigo brand idea.Unfortunately,that going to be the only halfway readable book in the lot....
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

It sounds like a rip-off of Matt Johnson’s Incognegro to me.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Batgirl III wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:03 pm It sounds like a rip-off of Matt Johnson’s Incognegro to me.
I'll be hot dog,your right!.....it's still better than the other choices,though.Now,if they acknowledge where they got it from or make mention of the original,it would actually be a good book to read.
L-Space

Post by L-Space »

Should we start a betting pool to see how they explain Wolverine's new flat iron claws? Secondary Mutation? Infinity Stone shenanigans? Weapon X had actually installed it, but forgot to hit the on switch?
Formerly luketheduke86
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

L-Space wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:19 am Should we start a betting pool to see how they explain Wolverine's new flat iron claws? Secondary Mutation? Infinity Stone shenanigans? Weapon X had actually installed it, but forgot to hit the on switch?
Arthritis?
Shock

Post by Shock »

L-Space wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:19 am Should we start a betting pool to see how they explain Wolverine's new flat iron claws? Secondary Mutation? Infinity Stone shenanigans? Weapon X had actually installed it, but forgot to hit the on switch?
Magic
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

If they plan to keep it: Weapon X shenanigans, if they don't:Infinity Stone changed them to allow for easier transportations....
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

YouTube comic book and card-game news channel / ranting loony TheQuartering is spinning the interesting (and very plausible) theory that Zoe Quinn's being used as a smokescreen to divert attention from the reports of Diane Nelson's getting the boot.
BriarThrone

Post by BriarThrone »

Batgirl III wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:53 am YouTube comic book and card-game news channel / ranting loony TheQuartering is spinning the interesting (and very plausible) theory that Zoe Quinn's being used as a smokescreen to divert attention from the reports of Diane Nelson's getting the boot.
I started watching Jeremy a couple days ago. Seems pretty good so far. The one you linked is good. Nelson's leaving - one of the most prominent women in entertainment getting axed for a huge loss - has been announced, her farewell letter is available, but it "just happens" to be overshadowed by the announcement of bringing a talentless literal prostitute with no comics experience and a creative history that is more than a little controversial.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Zoë Quinn has a bibliography consisting of exactly one title: Crash Override: How Gamergate (Nearly) Destroyed My Life, and How We Can Win the Fight Against Online Hate (2017).

Now, I have not read it, so I cannot judge the book fairly. But, regardless of its merits, how does authorship of one nonfiction* memoir in anyway whatsoever qualify someone to write an ongoing monthly comic book for the premium imprint of the oldest (second largest) comic book publisher in the world?

* Or so Quinn claims.
BriarThrone

Post by BriarThrone »

Batgirl III wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:39 am Zoë Quinn has a bibliography consisting of exactly one title: Crash Override: How Gamergate (Nearly) Destroyed My Life, and How We Can Win the Fight Against Online Hate (2017).

Now, I have not read it, so I cannot judge the book fairly. But, regardless of its merits, how does authorship of one nonfiction* memoir in anyway whatsoever qualify someone to write an ongoing monthly comic book for the premium imprint of the oldest (second largest) comic book publisher in the world?

* Or so Quinn claims.
Pretty sure she did the writing for the video games she was involved with. For what that's worth. In my estimation, not much.

She also managed to come up with a sales pitch that somehow managed to convince several people that her sexual favors were worth not only the time involved in the act itself, but also extra effort to compensate her afterward. Looking at her... I'd say that had to be a pretty creative pitch. I guess there really is something to be said for experience?
Ken

Post by Ken »

Batgirl III wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:39 amBut, regardless of its merits, how does authorship of one nonfiction* memoir in anyway whatsoever qualify someone to write an ongoing monthly comic book for the premium imprint of the oldest (second largest) comic book publisher in the world?
She's famous. Not household name famous, but at least notable enough that Wikipedia has a page for her.

That's it. That's her qualification.

Comics have become a niche industry, selling to only tens of thousands of people worldwide. If a comic is only selling 20,000 units, but they sell an extra 1000 units because they let some z-level celebrity write it, that's a 5% sales increase.

It has nothing to do with quality. They assume that it'll be decent enough that they won't lose readers over it.

The only thing that the major comics publishers disrespect more than super-heroes are comic book readers.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.