What's new with the big two: Marvel and DC Comics discussion thread.

The place to talk about your favorite novels, comic books and web comics.
Jabroniville

Re: What's new with the big two: Marvel and DC Comics discussion thread.

Post by Jabroniville »

This GR is an entirely different guy, at least. I sadly expect him to last about as long as any OTHER Minority Replacement Character, never mind that he's like the 4th or 5th Ghost Rider in continuity ALREADY.
Shock

Post by Shock »

I know there's a movie coming out but did Marvel really need to start 2 Ant-Man & Wasp series at the same time? I think one is limited and the other is ongoing but still...
L-Space

Post by L-Space »

Formerly luketheduke86
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

. . . . .

No, no, you know what? I'm not going to get mad, not going to do my usual ranting and raving, it's a temporary change. They'll either get rid of it before their run on Wolverine ends, or the next writer will get rid of it. It'll go the way of Electro-Superman, Wonder Woman's lightning summoning bracelets, Spider-Man's stingers, and Capt. America's super-strength. Its a stupid promotional that will eventually become a bit of useless comics trivia.

Nah, hell with it. Super-heated Adamantium claws? Really. Because rasor sharp, virtually indestructible claws that can cut through almost anything wasn't enough. They had to give him a "Madder Logan gets, the hotter his claws burn" addition to his abilities. Because I know the first thing that came to my mind for the occasionally stealthy brawler was to make his claws glow and emit a large amount of heat.

And of all the X-Men in need of a power up-grade, was it really the peak human super-ninja with enhanced senses, unbreakable bones, indestructible claws, and whose main power is "I can't die"?
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ken

Post by Ken »

But... but... Logan is so kewl....
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Meh, I can't get worked up about it. It's silly, and won't even really change my build of him, so I don't care.

In other news, I read Avengers #2 and... She-Hulk. So... big... so... strong... so... muscular... such... big arms...
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

This is so obviously not a change that will stick. Are's cites the obvious examples of Electro-Superman, Wonder Woman's lightning summoning bracelets, Spider-Man's stingers, and Capt. America's super-strength... I mean, I can almost see a world where Cap stayed super-strong or Diana kept the lightning summoning trick. But no one really believed that Superman was going to stay in his blue electric form, no one. "Hot Claws Wolverine" is doomed to the same scrap heap as Six-Armed Spidey and Angelic Punisher.
Ken

Post by Ken »

When was Cap super strong? I mean beyond his normal "peak human strength" that seems a little super all ready.

And did the electric-bracelet Diana influence that bracelet crossing thing she does in the cinema?
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Ken wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:11 pm When was Cap super strong? I mean beyond his normal "peak human strength" that seems a little super all ready.

And did the electric-bracelet Diana influence that bracelet crossing thing she does in the cinema?
The post-Nixon era. It's why he was super-strong in Avengers Forever.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

DC is relaunching its Vertigo imprint, which is good. That line produced some of their most accalimed settings and characters.

The only problem is a lot of these books sound like hot garbage, or are written by people like Zoë Quinn.
BORDER TOWN from writer Eric M. Esquivel (Adventure Time, Starburns Presents) with art and covers by Ramon Villalobos (Nighthawk, America) will debut in September

When a crack in the border between worlds releases an army of monsters from Mexican folklore into the small town of Devil’s Fork, Arizona, the residents blame the ensuing weirdness—the shared nightmares, the otherworldly radio transmissions, the mysterious goat mutilations—on “God-dang illegals.” With racial tensions supernaturally charged, it’s up to new kid in town Frank Dominguez and a motley crew of high school misfits to discover what’s REALLY going on

HEX WIVES from writer Ben Blacker (co-creator of The Thrilling Adventure Hour) with art by Mirka Andolfo (WONDER WOMAN, SHADE, THE CHANGING GIRL) will debut in October

“The women are too powerful. They must be tamed.” A malevolent conspiracy of men brainwashes a coven of witches to be subservient, suburban housewives. But it’s only a matter of time before the women remember their power...

AMERICAN CARNAGE from writer Bryan Hill (TITANS show set to launch on the DC-branded digital service, MICHAEL CRAY) with art by Leandro Fernandez (THE NAMES, The Punisher Max) will debut in November

In this thrilling crime saga, disgraced FBI agent Richard Wright, who is biracial but can pass for white, goes undercover in a white supremacist group believed to be responsible for the death of a fellow agent.

GODDESS MODE from writer Zoë Quinn (Crash Override, featured in People’s 25 Women Who Are Changing the World and Forbes’ 30 Under 30) with art by Robbi Rodriguez (Spider-Gwen, FBP: FEDERAL BUREAU OF PHYSICS) will debut in December

In a near future where all of humanity’s needs are administered by a godlike A.I., it’s one young woman’s horrible job to do tech support on it. But when Cassandra finds herself violently drawn into a hidden and deadly digital world beneath our own, she discovers a group of super-powered women and horrific monsters locked in a secret war for the cheat codes to reality.

HIGH LEVEL from writer Rob Sheridan (former art director for Nine Inch Nails, co-creator of the Year Zero alternate reality game) with art by Barnaby Bagenda (THE OMEGA MEN, GREEN LANTERNS) will debut in 2019

Hundreds of years after the world ended and human society was rebuilt from scratch, a self-interested smuggler with a price on her head is forced to traverse a new continent of danger and mystery to deliver a child messiah to High Level, a mythical city at the top of the world from which no one has ever returned.

SAFE SEX from writer Tina Horn (host/producer of Why Are People Into That? podcast, writer/journalist/lecturer in sexual education and activism) and artist Mike Dowling (UNFOLLOW, 2000 AD) will debut in 2019

A dystopian sci-fi thriller about a ragtag team of sex workers fighting for the freedom to love in a world where sexual pleasure is monitored, regulated and policed by the government.

SECOND COMING from writer Mark Russell (God Is Disappointed in You, THE FLINTSTONES) with art by Richard Pace (IMAGINARY FIENDS) will debut in 2019

God sends Jesus to Earth in hopes that he will learn the family trade from Sun-Man, an all-powerful superhero, who is like the varsity quarterback son God never had. But, upon his return to Earth, Christ is appalled to discover what has become of his Gospel and vows to set the record right.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

If you’ll excuse me, I need to go cry myself to sleep while clutching my copy of The Sandman Omnibus.
Nunya B

Post by Nunya B »

Political swill, political swill, political swill that might be saved by execution (I doubt it), legitimately interesting premise until I checked the author, meh, political swill, political swill. Wow. The ones I can say the best things about are the one that's been murdered before publication and the one that doesn't interest me at all.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

It’s telling that not one of those author bios lists any previous work in the comic book medium.
BriarThrone

Post by BriarThrone »

The second known sex worker in comics... and one that wants to run for office.