BriarThrone Reviews: The Last Jedi (SPOILERS)

The place to talk about your favorite movies, tv series, cartoons, music and theater.
Woodclaw

Re: BriarThrone Reviews: The Last Jedi (SPOILERS)

Post by Woodclaw »

Ares wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 6:47 am
Batgirl III wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 6:17 am I was never a fan of Star Wars, honestly, I mean I like laserswords and spaceships as much as any nerd... But, even as a little kid, I could see how hackneyed and phoned in the stories were.

Star Wars was just a farm boy rescuing a princess from the black knight’s tower, with help from the smug-but-secretly-good thief and the kindly-old-wizard. Seriously, it’s the every third story in the big pink Grimm’s Fairy Tales book I got for Christmas when I was four. I’ve never understood just why the rabidly loyal fans were so taken by it.

I mean, to each their own, but I’ve never been able to grok the love people have for the franchise. But, like, I’d totally start a bar brawl to defend the honor of my beloved Batman Family, so I guess I can at least feel empathy if not sympathy.

Marvel Studios has pumped out nineteen MCU films and oodles of tv spinoffs, but only a handful have actually been sequels to each other. They’ve also been very good at mixing up the genres and storytelling techniques used. Iron Man is a very different film in terms of tone, pacing, and plot than Doctor Strange or Daredevil and those are equally different from each other.

Even if you’re being generous, it’s hard not to see that there’s basically two plots that make up like half the movies in the SW franchise: ANH = RotJ = TPM = TFA = Rog1; ESB = AotC = TLJ.

I really cannot blame audiences for shrugging their shoulders at Solo and saying “Meh. I’ll see it when it’s on Amazon Prime in October.”

I'd say it's a bit disingenuous to say that there are only two plots in the entire Star Wars franchise. That'd be like me saying that the plot of over a third of the Marvel films is "arrogant person learns humility,becomes a hero, then defeats a supervillain", while another third is "messed up family unit learns to work together, then defeats a supervillains".

There's no issue in liking or disliking Star Wars, that's not something worth debating. I just don't think you can site the problem with the franchise being oversaturation when said franchise has endured this long, but when other franchises have made more movies in 10 years than Star Wars has in 40.
I think there's some truth in both your statements. While I enjoyed the original Star Wars trilogy as a kid and I still think they're good movies, I believe that there's an argument to be made about how the setting tend to be extremely polarized. One of my biggest issues with the main storyline of the franchise (i.e. the "numbered" movies) is how everything seem to hinge on just the actions of Jedi and Sith. Admitedly, it's something that is much more apparent with the prequel and sequel trilogy, but it's oftne pervasive of the entire franchise.

Personally my current favorite movie is Rogue One, because it's the only movie in the franchise that gave me the feeling of a galaxy at war. Shit happened, people died, because something had to be done.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

I still have yet to watch Last Jedi.

I didn't really care for Force Awakens and only happened to catch a second viewing of that a year after when my family were all at my parents' for Christmas. Even then I only caught it halfway through.

Rogue One I liked, particularly after I watched it with my niece, but I can't say I'm absolutely crazy about it. I could see owning it when I have half a mind to buy it.

But man The Last Jedi....I've heard all the spoilers. I've heard everything about it. Most of my friends at work are big Wars fans and most of them were "It was okay" with one of them telling me "I hated it" (at which point we talk about Star Trek because we prefer that, but aren't really big into how that's gone lately either....but we both love the 09 movie).

I go to the store that's not even a mile from my house, and one of the last video rental places in the area, and just look at The Last Jedi sitting there on the shelf. One of the ladies who works there, who I've known for 30 years (she was a sub teacher when I was in first grade) and I often talk about it. "You going to rent it today?" she'll ask. And I reply with "I've thought about it, but no I don't think I will. It's just not the same". And she nods and agrees that's how she feels about it too.

I've been on vacation since the 18th. I don't go back to work until Tuesday. Aside from working on the house, replacing rotted boards with fresh ones, I've had virtually nothing to do for over a week.

And I still haven't rented The Last Jedi.
BriarThrone

Post by BriarThrone »

As I said a few days after the movie came out, as I gain more distance from the movie, the less I am swayed by the spectacle and the more I see the holes. Ark's post is pure truth.

It is at this point that I should make a new thread to review Solo: A Star Wars Story. Unfortunately, to do that, I would have to go see that movie, and frankly, I don't want to. Not interested.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

BriarThrone wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 11:49 pm As I said a few days after the movie came out, as I gain more distance from the movie, the less I am swayed by the spectacle and the more I see the holes. Ark's post is pure truth.

It is at this point that I should make a new thread to review Solo: A Star Wars Story. Unfortunately, to do that, I would have to go see that movie, and frankly, I don't want to. Not interested.
To quote a friend of mine who is one of the biggest Star Wars nerds around here (we are talking about one of those guys that buys all the tickets of a theater for day one so that he can go and watch it just with his friends): "Solo is proof that there are so many more tales to tell about the Star Wars universe. It's much more classic than Rogue One, but still a breath of fresh air after The Last Jedi".

BriarThrone

Post by BriarThrone »

Woodclaw wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 9:27 am
BriarThrone wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 11:49 pm As I said a few days after the movie came out, as I gain more distance from the movie, the less I am swayed by the spectacle and the more I see the holes. Ark's post is pure truth.

To quote a friend of mine who is one of the biggest Star Wars nerds around here (we are talking about one of those guys that buys all the tickets of a theater for day one so that he can go and watch it just with his friends): "Solo is proof that there are so many more tales to tell about the Star Wars universe. It's much more classic than Rogue One, but still a breath of fresh air after The Last Jedi".
The Force Awakens and Last Jedi have ruined any emotional connection I had left to Star Wars. When I think about going to see a Star Wars movie, I'm reminded that I have a bunch of paints and a large Pile of Shame - unpainted Warhammer minis. I would much rather be doing that than sitting through another milquetoast interpretation of characters that I used to think were kinda cool.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

As bad as the Last Jedi was, it'll take more than that to destroy my love for the franchise. Anytime I need a reminder of why I love Star Wars I can pop in the original trilogy, Rogue One, my audio-book of the Thrawn Trilogy, the Clone Wars cartoon, REBELS, and even to a lesser extent the Prequels. To paraphrase another movie I love, "Star Wars is in the heart. No matter where I go, she's with me."
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

Ares wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 10:39 am As bad as the Last Jedi was, it'll take more than that to destroy my love for the franchise. Anytime I need a reminder of why I love Star Wars I can pop in the original trilogy, Rogue One, my audio-book of the Thrawn Trilogy, the Clone Wars cartoon, REBELS, and even to a lesser extent the Prequels. To paraphrase another movie I love, "Star Wars is in the heart. No matter where I go, she's with me."
May the wings of the Falcon never lose a feather...
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

It’s probably because I don’t have and never did have the deep emotional attachment to Star Wars that so many of my fellow geeks seem to have... But... I really liked The Last Jedi. I’ve only seen it twice, compared to the dozen (or dozens and dozens) of times I’ve seen the others, but I think it’s one of my favorites.

Yep, it’s got silly plot holes (they all do); Yep, it’s got a weak central villain (most of them do); Yep, it’s got a really awkwardly paced love story (they all do); and so on and so forth...

But, hey, not every sci-fi action-adventure film gets to be Wrath of Khan, sometimes they hafta be Star Wars! :lol:
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

HalloweenJack wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 2:19 pm
Ares wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 10:39 am As bad as the Last Jedi was, it'll take more than that to destroy my love for the franchise. Anytime I need a reminder of why I love Star Wars I can pop in the original trilogy, Rogue One, my audio-book of the Thrawn Trilogy, the Clone Wars cartoon, REBELS, and even to a lesser extent the Prequels. To paraphrase another movie I love, "Star Wars is in the heart. No matter where I go, she's with me."
And the hyperdrive never spring a leak. :P

Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Woodclaw wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 4:16 pm May the wings of the Falcon never lose a feather...
And the hyperdrive never spring a leak. :P
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Batgirl III wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 3:34 pm It’s probably because I don’t have and never did have the deep emotional attachment to Star Wars that so many of my fellow geeks seem to have... But... I really liked The Last Jedi. I’ve only seen it twice, compared to the dozen (or dozens and dozens) of times I’ve seen the others, but I think it’s one of my favorites.
As you said recently BG, "It's okay, you're allowed to be wrong."
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

HalloweenJack wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 2:19 pm
*Han Solo walks in on Darth Vader and the Emperor, the latter of whom is preparing to try and turn Leia to the Dark Side of the Force*

Han: "Not so fast, gentlemen."

The Emperor: "Oh for- is it too much to ask, Vader? Kill him, for me!"

Han: "It won't solve anything, Palpatine. Too many people have been droppin' like mynocks already and where's that gettin' us? Nowhere, fast. You know what old Han Solo says at a time like this?"

Vader: "Who?"

Han: "HAN SOLO. ME!"

*Luke Skywalker comes flipping in out of nowhere, performing a masterful acrobatic land while simultaneously igniting his lightsaber and raising it to 'en garde' position. He gives Han a nod, then turns his attention back to Vader and the Emperor*

Han: "Old Han always says . . . 'what the Hell'."

Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

I would legit watch the hell out of Big Trouble in Little Naboo.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

who wouldn't?
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Okay, I have more thoughts.

::drags out the dead horse and his bat::

... Okay on second thought I have a question.

Is there anywhere left to go in the next movie? I mean, Rey already is better than Kylo so no real tension there, and every other story thread I can think of is either resolved, unimportant, or relies on a character they've killed off...